HoldenV8
Years ago

Marty Clarke's job on the line - The Advertiser

Reading Jai Bednall's article in The Advertiser, it would seem that if the 36ers don't get at least one win from this weekend then Marty Clarke could be facing the sack early next week. Although no official word has come from a holidaying Daryl Simmons, who apparently would rather Clarke see out the season rather than sack a second coach in succession, unless his hand is forced.

Why should one win this weekend save his job for the rest of the year? Seriously, I want the 36ers to beat Townsville and Sydney this weekend but like just about everyone else, I've had a gutfull of Clarke's woeful coaching of what is thought to be a pretty talented team.

I'm not saying I'd rather see the team lose both games so they can possibly sack him because as stated, I want them to win. I'm saying I wish they'd just sack him (and Radford) regardless of this weekends results. Enough is enough.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/adelaide-36ers-coach-marty-clarkes-job-on-the-line/story-fndekpx4-1226546267025

Topic #30388 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

If they sack him you really think it will turn the season around or is this just about saving face with the fans and showing them that he's accountable?

I don't think he's the man for the job as evidence with the teams current record but I'm not sure that sacking him is worth the issues unless they have a suitable replacement lined up.
I wonder if Clarke is prepping his "stunned" or his "disappointed" look for this weekend.

IMO he'd prob be a very good assistant Coach much like Vickerman (who prob deserves a shot a Head Coaching role in the NBL).

Reply #395440 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Can't say if sacking Clarke and bringing in someone else will turn the 36ers season around or not because I'm no soothsayer. But we can't go any worse can we?

Agreed that he'd make a decent assistant coach, so long as he's not the one running the show. And so long as they have someone lined up then I'm all for saying goodbye and thanks for the lousy memories. But a few people have apparently showed interest in the job, although only Smyth and Maher were mentioned as possibles.

Marty Clarke has proven to be one coach who should have become an NBL assistant and actually learned how to coach on game day before being given a head coaching job while he was an NBL rookie.

Reply #395442 | Report this post

no one  
Years ago

If Clarke should of been an assistant as you say before taking the Had Coach role the Marsey my favourite player must do the same .Marsy has never coached I would hate to see him fail and another coach without Head coach expierence take charge again

Reply #395443 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I don't think Maher or any other unproven option is the answer especially when there is a pool of proven coaches at NBL level like Joyce, Wright or Gleeson who may be available.
As you say it may be a case of him assisting one of these guys and learning the trade with a view for him to have a shot at running the show later on.

Reply #395444 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Wright has already said he will not take the job if offered. I believe he's waiting the outcome of a Brisbane team, he has some decent cash so he can afford to wait it out.

When I spoke to Joyce a few days ago he said he would be interested.

Gleeson has a coaching gig O/S at the moment.

Reply #395449 | Report this post

SamCro  
Years ago

I would have thought that Daryl Simmons has to offer the 6ers faithful something in relation to the whole Marty saga? Daryl either has to come out publicly with a 'Back Him or Sack Him' type statement? Gee i remember when Darryl was the Sturt President he was most outspoken on all basketball issues around the state & it seems like Daryl has gone to ground & is offering the 6ers faithful nothing in these extremely tough times for all 6ers fans! C'Mon Daryl we all deserve better, leadership starts at the top!

Reply #395455 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Daryl still has a CEO to do that for him.

Reply #395456 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Where is Glesson coaching at the moment overseas?

Reply #395458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Firstly Isaac is spot on. He has a CEO who to be honest has not shown a lot of leadership for a while who should be doing that not the chairman.

Secondly he is entitled to go away with his family because it would be crazy to do anything in the middle of 4 games in 2 weeks.

Thirdly you don't rush any decisions just because fans say they are not happy, lets be honest it doesn't matter what decisions the club makes over the next month or two most people on here will still eat them alive for it.

Reply #395460 | Report this post

SamCro  
Years ago

The current CEO is on her way out the door! It's very easy to put all the blame on the current CEO but what evidence of leadership has Daryl shown in this horrendous run of the 6ers. I always thought the CEO was accountable to the Chairman? The Chairmans non-responsive take around all these Marty issues has been very perplexing to a lot of 6ers fans.

Reply #395464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very perplexing to a lot of sixers fans. You mean you ?
No one has really mentioned him before but because he is in today's paper he becomes the new target.

Most sporting club CEO's deal with these issues, but because our has now run away you let her off the hook and point elsewhere.

Don't you think no CEO is an important issue as well, surely it can't all be about making you happy. The coach at least has the players who want him. The club needs a new leader and I would want that first.

Reply #395465 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

If Clarke was to go and chances are he will. Playoffs will be the only thing that saves him , I hope our next coach is not a defensive minded coach ( as much as our D sucks at times ) because our history shows that fans love it when our team gets on a roll offensively and it creates an awesome atmosphere so its no coincidence that our title coaches Smythe & Cole have both had that mentality. As much as some coaches try and tell you bball hasnt changed much since those days. The principals are still the same.I also think its vital that you have a "gun" import who if not the best is up there. An All Aussie lineup with role imports isnt the go IMO.Last few MVP's ( Lisch , Jackson, Crawford , Ervin , Penny etc )all played in sides who won or if not were in contention. You saw what Jackson did to us last week down the stretch with his calmness whereby we were clearly nervous and disjointed. Wright is my top pick and i would also seek Smythe as long as he is 100% committed.

Reply #395469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets not forget everyone wanting to sack smyth for having old verteran type players and not being able to get younger players signed then ninnis now clarke he got the young guys signed and wanting to play here but cann't win. Surely the solution is to get an experienced coach signed and use him to have the say on game night and continue to use clarke who has to be paid anyway to help develop the young guys

Reply #395470 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

Apologies meant to say coaches try and tell you "basketball HAS changed".

Reply #395472 | Report this post

SamCro  
Years ago

Ann - 465 Why So Angry? I attend 6ers game quite often & the discussion point has come up several times with other 6ers fans about the zero response we're getting from our Chairman in relation to the Marty saga. No-one is giving our CEO a free pass here but surely all leadership concerning the 6ers doesn't just rest with the CEO? The Chairman & Board have responsibilty here as well! That's how good Governance works.

Reply #395473 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Cole senior mentor to the coach and CEO.

Reply #395475 | Report this post

toomanyprawns  
Years ago

When teams are saved from extinction, grateful fans laud the saviours without applying due diligence. It would not have mattered if the hells Angels or the Mob had put up the doh rah me. Many heads can mean many tongues.
Poor results have been sheeted on the coach et al and on the Players who are not good enough one year and great the next - results the same.
Before we shoot the coach or the players or any of the dancing girls we need to look at the foundations and make sure the timber is solid because it wont matter who is on the boards running the team, if the pine is unstable.

Reply #395477 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Getting rid of Clarke shouldn't even be a question any more. The only question is who should replace him. I don't think the timing is right to give any untested ex players a go.......even if it is the great Brett Maher.

Gleeson, Joyce or Wright could be the way to go if they are available. I don't think it is too late if we get the right person in now. Finish 4th would be possible. The Sixers have shown enough that they could win against any of the top 3 teams, just need to be coached to finish off the game.

Do it and do it now!!

Reply #395479 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Being a Victorian i'll throw my 30 cents in.Fish rots at the head and having had dealings with Leanne Grantham i personally didint rate her.Need to get a good CEO number 1. I would let Marty coach out the season as i dont see there is any point replacing him now as it is going to cost money and there not going to make the playoffs.At the end of the season go out there and go after the best.Start with Goorijan and work your way back.Yes he is pricey but they need to get the right person for the job.Even current coaches that are contracted i'd be prepared to ask the question.

Reply #395481 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"As much as some coaches try and tell you bball hasnt changed much since those days."

It's changed a lot, all around the world.

Reply #395484 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Honestly, I don't want Maher to coach. I just don't see him as a professional NBL coach. I know I shouldn't, but I would have unrealistically high expectations of him because he's met such high expectations in the past as a player and a as a person in general.

I'm not sure if his reputation can be faded and ruined, but if it could be, coaching would be the job which does it.

Reply #395488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really need to make the change now Imo. Surely the expectation has to be 2 wins from the weekend and even then i would still look at replacements.

If time between games is an issue, why not just pull the trigger now, play without a coach and hand the reigns to gibbo, crosswell, pero for the time being? Obviously not ideal, but ya just feel that the longer this takes, the more this season goes to waste.

Would support phils return. Similar to kossie over at united. Someone who could re connect the fan base even if season is lost by this point.

One of the biggest problems i have found with clarke has been his inability or, even choice to connect with fans. Don think i have heard him come out and simply say " Please stick with us. You fans are the most important part of our club so we urge you to come out and support us this week "or just something along those lines.

Reply #395491 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

I think now would be a bad time to sack the coach.

The team is teetering on the edge of not making the playoffs, if the goal is indeed to make the playoffs, there'd be more chance of a (much overdue) turnaround in form than bringing in a new 'trial' coach.

The problem is the chasm between fourth and fifth.

SYD are 9 - 6, ADL 5 - 9.

The next 2 weeks is make or break for the season because of the 2 games Vs SYD. This is a great window of opportunity for ADL to catchup especially when SYD play again the next day @ MEL.

The team is under tremendous pressure already in this zero error tolerance period. Do you really want to do it under a new coach?

I think it is risky.

Reply #395493 | Report this post

Triton 95  
Years ago

Now is a bad time to sack the coach, 2-4 weeks ago would have been much better, that way Adelaide may still be in the finals hunt.

Reply #395498 | Report this post

eli1  
Years ago

I think it is highly risky Marcus Camby, but why persist with a broken instrument when you can buy a new one and get something out of it, we havent seen this season.

If they really wanted to take the pressure off MC, put Radford in-charge. I hate both, however, its a change.

But in reality, Phil and Brett would be the guys to bring in.

Reply #395500 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Keep in mind also how destabilising it is for the players should the unspeakable happen.

They have 100% respect and support for the coach.

Bringing in a new one would cause disharmony.

Reply #395501 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Honestly guys do you really think we will have a team next year?????

The owners cannot be making any money with the low crowds, the areana / dome situation is still up in the air so may not have a venue, all the drama for the owners currently trying to enjoy a family holiday having the coaches future hanging over their heads.

I am with everyone else and believe change is necessary but it is easier for me as I am not the one having ot finance it.

Reply #395505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The team is teetering on the edge of another wooden spoon.

You look at the glass half full when it comes to Clarke but aren't prepared to be your usual eternal optimist if there is a change.

Could bring in even state league level coaches to finish off the season.

I'd prefer Al Green and Andy Symons or Brad Davidson/Kevin Brooks at this stage.

Get the team playing with some emotion and accountability.

Obviously they are unproven at NBL level. So guess what? You don't give them a three year contract. Just let them finish the season off like Sydney did with Heal.

If they turn the season around then you consider giving them an extension.

Then in the off season you see what Goorjian, Smyth etc are doing if need be.

Basketball isn't rocket science. A few minor changes by new coaches could be all that is needed to turn things around.

Reply #395506 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/coach-scott-ninnis-sacked-by-the-adelaide-36ers/story-e6frecj3-1225833066648

Reply #395508 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

ninnis sacked for a lot less

Reply #395509 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Someone alluded that Ninnis was sacked for off court issues. Would they care to elaborate ?

Did he do a George Constanza?

Reply #395512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have actually noticed body language amongst players that may indicate a growing frustration for clarkes system. Weigh seems to be the ultimate team guy (to his credit), but only now appears to be realising his shooting talents are being wasted and overlooked ( realise he plays big mins but often underutilised at same time), Creek was much the same, just in a minutes reversal, cadee's confidence looks shattered and you could say the same for bunch of others.

Is this player exodus really true? If the players couldnt accept, after a 5-9 start, that clarkes axing wouldnt be justified, than that just tells me that a number of them are here for more selfish reasons. If clarke has convinced them that the best thing for there own developement is to play under him at the club, when really, imo, it is having a reverse affect.

End of the day, good coach or bad, wins and losses are what count. Wins simply are not coming. Time to make a change. Now.

Reply #395515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 'exodus' propaganda from an outsider's perspective just seems to me to indicate we have a class group of players who are willing to shoulder the blame for losses rather than blame the coach.

They prefer to say, we didn't play we'll enough rather than say we weren't coached well enough. Good on the players.

However a massive difference between that and actually ripping up a contract or contract offer and saying they will leave.

In an 8 team league contracts are hard to come by.

It's a pity in the media that Clarke never is prepared to take any blame.

I read an article the other day where Rick Carlisle was willing to take a lot of the blame for Dallas' losing streak. You never see anything like this from Clarke.

Clarke lost me last year where he said publicly that wins and losses were irrelevant and he was focused on development, effort and improvement.

Of course the context in which he said that was self protection given the team was losing and coming last.

However, that attitude is what has hindered improvement.

My opinion is that we lost the Townsville game not on New Years Eve but the second the New Zealand game was over.

Instead of being furious and disgusted with the second half effort like the rest of us, all he appeared to do was go back to his ways of saying its not winning and losing that matters. He publicly said he was happy with the teams efforts. Gone was the opportunity to get the team in a frenzy in which they could take out their frustration on Townsville.

Reply #395526 | Report this post

Mimas 75  
Years ago

I think management has been very patient with the continued poor results from Clarke's teams. Quite honestly when I saw this team on paper this year it was a play-off team at a minimum and a championship contender if things went right.

For it to instead be in wooden spoon contention is atrocious.

Reply #395529 | Report this post

Years ago

Andy Symons ?? You are friggin kidding... April fools already?

Reply #395533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As an assistant for the remainder of the season? Why not? He is coming off of back to back championships at local level.

Reply #395534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with that anon (regards to being more furious after losses).

Would of prefered to see clarke show some passion in a post game interview or whatever. " these performances simply are not good enough, no one is happy with the way things are going" etc etc.

Didnt mind that mid court team huddle earlier in the season to show unity and acknowlodgment, but giving a wrong message at this point in the season imo.
Realise that seems harsh but little things like that can mislead as to what the true intentions are of the coaches this season ( developement over wins). That probably is not even true but sends a certain type of message imo.

Reply #395535 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Anon'526...

With the team 6ers had last year, it HAD to be a development year.

You need to give the 3 year plan a chance to take shape.

Reply #395538 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

'526, good post.

Re: ownership speaking out, I know other clubs are in different positions, but can't remember the last time I heard from Bendat, or ever hearing from Blackwell, or Arun chipping in. You hear from Marvin, Richard Clarke, Simic, etc.

Reply #395539 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Marcus Camby - FFS take off those rose coloured bloody glasses.

This is nothing to do with a three year plan. That was never anything else but an excuse for poor performances in the first two years of his contract. How could there have been a plan that was coming together when he has changed more that 50% of his roster? This was never about developing a group to be at a certain level in their 3rd year together. He has one of the best rosters in the league right now and can't finish off games because he can't coach to win. He is a development coach - nothing more. At the end of this year when we finish bottom or second bottom again under Clarke, what will be the excuse? The infamous and fictional 3 year plan didn't come off because...…????? How much time does he need for this plan to "take shape"?

Not only has he achieved nothing positive, he has alienated the supporter base and turned off the very fans the team is paid to entertain. Well most of them……..he has you on his side somehow.

Reply #395544 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Further to Issac's comment you either shut up shop and say little or you come out firing. In a time of crisis better to get on the front foot. I thought Crows did well to control the mess they got themselves into by offering to opt out of the draft.

Reply #395545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Camby-

Would have more faith in the 3 year plan if, say, 70 -80% of the playing group was still remaining. Still remember quote from marty in year 1 " we have 3 year plan, teams not at the level yet, but in 3 years they will be". Not sure if that is accurate word for word, but is basically what was said. 3 year plan was contradicted in year 2 with big roster changes and then again in 3 rd year.

Would have more time and patience for marty if the final phase of the plan involved -
.majority of original playing group with maybe a couple of complimenting inclusions
.more interaction with fans.
.starting to show signs of improvement and consolidation ( of course mainly reflected in w l collum)
.An improved ladder ranking in each season with majority of original group.

Sadly, has not worked to this point. Don get any enjoyement about encouraging the sacking of a person but sixers could be staring down the bottle of another bottom 2 finish. Pattern is all too familiar - encouraging signs, followed by a blowout to the tigers and a string of losses. The original loss to townsville said more to me than any other so far.

Reply #395548 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Great post Spinner!

Reply #395549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Give the 3 year plan a chance to take shape Marcus? We are 2 and a half years into Marty's three year plan! If it hasn't begun to take shape by now it's not going to!

Reply #395550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3 year plan is not even real. Safe to say.

Reply #395551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marcus Camby, Yeah I too like Marty's 3 year plan, wait for the Blaze to fold!

Reply #395553 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

MC have you always been an B.. kisser or did you learn it while kissing Martys B..? No one needs to be sacked more than these two clowns, no matter who you follow this 36ers team should be one that brings fear to other teams with its amount of talent in the right hands of course but while in the hands of these two it brings laughter to the other teams because they know that even if they are 21 points down the 6ers will cough it up, proven time time again over the last 6 weeks so as someone else said take of your glasses and look at it for what it is a bloody disgrace, and don't belittle other fans.If Marty was running a business the same way that business would have shut its doors after one year.

Reply #395557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marcus what development was achieved last year and why did it have to be a development year?

Warren, Ng, Bartlett and Herbert is a decent guard rotation.

Weigh and Creek at the SF

DJ, Simpson and big Wade as the bigs.

Hardly a wooden spoon team or development team made up of young South Australians.

Also, if a development year why did we waste the opportunity to play Creek big minutes? What was achieved with bringing in Bartlett and giving him minutes at the expense of Creek?

Where is the accountability?

If you are prepared to discard last year's results as being reasonable as Clarke had a rubbish team then I don't agree.

If we ignore history we are poised to make the same mistakes. That is what is occurring now.

Am i correct that on this year's 36ers team that Gibson, Schenscher, Weigh and Croswell have all won NBL championships?

The team is made up of winners but is coached by a loser.

I remember rumours from year 1 of Clarke's three year plan saying that the players rated him as a coach but that he would work them so hard that they were not in optimal shape on game day and this contributed to losses.

There have been issues from day 1.

The SOS not only saved the club but gave us rosters three years in a row that were capable of making the play offs. This year they gave us a championship contender.

Using a Formula 1 analogy, we have a great machine but we have a really bad driver.

Reply #395559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hallelujah, this is music to my ears. Finally the club is looking at taking action. Know Daryl from my Sturt days. Hopefully he will make the right decision, and also agree with previous posters.

Maybe give one of the local coaches an NBL run.

Reply #395564 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

To say that there was no "3-year-plan" or that the concept was flawed due to high player turnover from year-to-year isn't a very sound argument.

Outside of the ultra-successful clubs of the past few years (Perth & NZ), every team has had a high turnover of players. This is partially due to changes is preferences from individual and club perspectives, but also the player points cap: while a useful tool, causes problems for franchise continuity.

Look hard at the list in year 1: would you seriously WANT continuity?

Troy DeVries: cut
Craig Winder: cut
Eddie Shannon: didn't renew contract
Ron Howard: didn't renew contract
Rhys Carter: overseas
Darren Ng: retired 2nd year
Nathan Herbert: retired 2nd year (from memory)
Sam Harris: didn't renew contract

Only Ron Howard deserved another season, IMO.

Year 2:

Chris Warren: didn't renew contract
Diamon Simpson: overseas (freaking NBA)
Wade Helliwell: retired

Chris Warren would've been useful, and everyone wanted to keep Diamon Simpson but this was just out of the 36ers hands.

Year 3 (remaining players):

Daniel Johnson
Stephen Weigh
Mitch Creek
Nathan Crosswell
Tom Daly
Jan Warbout

By NBL standards, player turnover hasn't been the issue - this should be expected.

I agree with the sentiment, but not the argument put forth. Find a better one.

Reply #395567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The article was a joke.

The headline suggests Clarke's job is on the line.

Based on what? Jai having to get column space while Boti is on leave?

There are no quotes from CEO or owners suggesting Clarke has been warned, or spoken to or has to win a game this weekend as Jai has suggested in the article.

No proof that if the Sixers go 0-2 this weekend that Clarke will be sacked, which is certainly what Jai suggests.

And here all you lot jump on board. The article is just a beat up of a team/club struggling with an identity, team balance, horrible admin and walking CEO.

Throw all that together and apparently that equals Coach on the way out.

More News Ltd. rubbish and the gullible public once again eat it up.

Reply #395568 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The line-ups the first two years werent playoff quality, this year's has the talent to finish in places 3-6. Regardless, on win-loss record Clarke has underachieved every season.

Reply #395570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sometimes i think there is some unknown reason why the club cannot make the change. I realise finance is one, but surely, in these circumstances you wouldnt have too much choice.

Personally, i would have replaced marty after the kings home loss. Really surprised the axe is yet to fall. Get the feeling they wont make the change now.

If things get really ugly, the club could publicly come out and declare they will not be re newing his contract. Seen this happen in the A.F.L, often leads to immediate resignation of the coach. Maybe a tactic to move him on easier. Dunno?

Reply #395571 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Playmaker - what are you on about? Nobody is disputing the fact that a turnover of players was warranted. The arguement is with using the excuse that it was all part of this great 3 year plan.

Was it part of the plan to recruit players who would not be part of the 3rd year success story?

Was it part of the plan to finish with a strong roster, but achieve nothing with it?

Was it part of the plan to piss off all the fans to the point that the Hoops site almost has a melt down?

Perth and New Zealand have turned players over, havent used any excuses BUT HAVE BEEN SUCCESSFUL, so what exactly are you trying to compare? Clarke has one of the best rosters at his disposal and sits on 5 and 9.

Reply #395574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Primus got sacked for getting continually thrashed and then beaten by a club that is 9 months old.

We are losing games by 1 shot. It is 1 basket dropping and it's fixed. Lets not over complicate things.

Yes I don't doubt reasons we don't know but let's be honest. If money is one it should be. I reckon these poor blokes have and are still probably pudding that much away and people on here talk about not going to hurt the club.

I wouldn't mind betting if they made a change that people on here would find reasons to bitch about the replacement. Seems to be the nature on here.

Reply #395576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Paul: why weren't they play-off quality?

You can compare the talent on paper with other teams that made the play-offs and we compared favourably.

I'm not saying we had dream teams but certainly play-off calibre.

Reply #395577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All this talk about the Team on paper makes me laugh, it means nothing if they dont blend and compliment each other.
If you want to be critical of Marty do it for over complicating his offense and recruiting a dysfunctional playing group.
The players need to take allot of responsibility.

Reply #395579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Losing by a shot here and there, come off it mate we have been consistently losing for 2 and a half years under Clarke and Radford, there are teams out there with less talent than us who are beating us , it just shouldn't happen.

Reply #395582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Playmaker mo-

Argument was about "camby's" illusion that the 3 year plan was about to enter its "proving " phase.

Said before but just seems hard to in vision a plan that involves so much chopping and change. Hence the contradiction of the plan pointed out.

Absolutely! No doubt marty came to the realisation that more talent was required. Although, you could also argue clarke's coaching had an impact surely? Look at what geordie has done with wollongong. A team always underated by lesser talent on paper.

Your right though, many championships are won by teams assaulting the free agency market and just assembling the best roster, even though it means high player turnover (bullets, dragons, tigers etc). Dont care if marty has strayed away from the plan if you can sign players like gibbo instead of warren ( point out gold coast demise ). Even so, the 3 year plan ended after year 1, so its worth noting that for people, who in defence of marty, refer to the 3 year plan still being a work in progress. So much player turnover for same result.

Reply #395584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its a rolling 3 year plan!!! there is perpetually always 2 years to go on it!

Reply #395585 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

@Paul: why weren't they play-off quality?

Well for starters, last year you had the league's worst defensive starting point guard and centre. No team will make the playoffs with that combination.

In one of the best guard leagues in the world a backcourt of Warren, Herbert, Bartlett and Ng isnt going to get it done, nor is a frontcourt with Ballinger injured and Helliwell the main reserve.

Reply #395587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yet didnt Clarke let certain players go who have gone on to play good (holmes, hill and bruce)?

Reply #395589 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

@Spinner - my post was directly relevant to yours...

"How could there have been a plan that was coming together when he has changed more that 50% of his roster?

1. Apparently YOU were disputing that the player turnover wasn't warranted.

"This was never about developing a group to be at a certain level in their 3rd year together.

2. Johnson, Creek, Weigh, Cadee all together in their 3rd year: very strong core group.

But for someone that has intimate knowledge of what the 36ers are thinking and doing you sure aren't putting it to much use on an independent forum. Go use your gift for the fate of the city!

"The infamous and fictional 3 year plan didn't come off because......????? How much time does he need for this plan to "take shape"?"

3. I think everyone is reading too much into the "three-year-plan", mainly because every coach has a long-term plan, and it's stupid for Marty to have no vision beyond any given season if he's under contract for three, but also because very little has actually been said directly from Marty and his camp regarding the infamous "three-year-plan", yet we have inferred SO MUCH INFORMATION from a few general statements.

Spinner, I'm not saying Marty's tenure has been a successful one - I'm on the same side as you on that one - but I don't support crap arguments to drive that point.

Alternatively, here's an argument you may actually be able to understand:

Spinner is talking out of his ass because he's a shithead.

Reply #395591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are no quotes from CEO or owners suggesting Clarke has been warned, or spoken to or has to win a game this weekend as Jai has suggested in the article.

No proof that if the Sixers go 0-2 this weekend that Clarke will be sacked, which is certainly what Jai suggests.

Journos, as low as they are dont usually pull these things out of thin air. Stuff like this is usually either leaked to them from someone who should know or comes from the top (or thereabouts) not wanting to publicly put their name to it.

It might happen it might not but I would be expecting if we go 0-2 this weekend Clarke will be gone by this time next week.

Reply #395592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3 year plan mentioned loads in first season by marty. Honestly dont think anyone cares how legitimate "the plan" was if results were more favourable.

Reply #395598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His biggest problem IMO is his image to the fans. He is sailing he SS John Hewson.

Reply #395599 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Those that follow it know that ch2 had it for this week , sorry to repeat , Maher & Cole get on pretty good and would win these next 2 , right now .

Reply #395604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Camel 31 - had what this week?

Reply #395605 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Sorry to repeat for others - ch2 news we had to win on NYE ,
for Clarke to stay on in 2013 .

Reply #395606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did I really just read that journos don't make stuff up.

Wow this thread has just gone to the ridiculous.

And really let's leave the ken cole thing alone it's not gonna happen and he has a bigger fight on his hands.

Reply #395607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If cole cared so much and had this cash why not financially help instead of threatening to buy them whilst being ill.

Reply #395608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can you threaten to buy the team? " if team doesnt start winning, im going to buy this club. You mark my words, ill buy it, i will!

Reply #395609 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Gibson, Schenscher, Johnson, , Weigh, Petrie, Cadee, Massinghale. Too late for Massinghale as he has ben cut. We would all agree that those players on the list can play. No doubt about that. Support from Crosswell and Daly as they can play too. Even Pero can play. We have 3 quality talls, and an abundance of guards. They can play. They are not a 6-8 loss in a row team. It is up to the coach to build these guys, give them CONFIDENCE and show them the way. To give them the freedom and belief to get the job done. Clarke is not building this team. The players are losing their belief and confidence as the season goes on. It is not a question of talent. It is not like Clarke does not know basketball, he just doesn't know how to get his players to win games,he doesn't give them any belief or confidence, WHICH IS HIS JOB. When players make the same mistakes over and over again when the pressure is on, it is the coaches JOB TO FIX THIS. A good coach will have his team improve and get better as a season rolls on. He will adjust to the needs of his players as he learns their strengths and weaknesses. This is not what we are getting.

Reply #395611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why wait until the end of the weekend? Our season could be over by then.

Reply #395612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Look what Heal did?

GUARANTEED Maher gets them instant wins!

This Camby dude is obviously a French Frie short of a happy meal......

Reply #395615 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Playmaker - clearly you went to the Marty Clarke school of diplomacy! I don't know why all the agro? You are missing the point - I am not disputing the need for a plan, or the need for upgrade of players, or the need for vision. My point is that he has hidden behind all this as a reason for poor results and takes NO responsibility for his failure as a coach. This isn't just my opinion - most of the bb community sees this, but for some reason you are offended by this? If so, perhaps come up with something more original than calling me a shithead!

Reply #395616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fingers crossed for double losses, then clarke is gone, all i can say.

Reply #395618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if you are seriously hoping we lose because of an article in the paper that suggets something while admitting no one was available for comment then your a knob.

And why is it when people try to make a point they suggest "all" the members or "most" of the bb community to make a point when all you have to base it on is 75 posts on this forum, most of which the same people have made at least 2 or 3.

If you are going to make suggestions dont back it up with made up statistics !!

Reply #395620 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Clarke will stay until the end of the season. He will not resign because that would cost him any chance at any form of involvement with the boomers for at least 2 years. He has nowhere to "return" to.

I doubt that the ownership group want to do this to him, or to take another flying leap into the unknown by appointing a "caretaker" coach.

Do they owe a "sacking " to the fans - Phfft! what twat thinks NBL owners owe anything to fans, that just PR dribble for the Terminally Gullible ( How many sets of "free" steak knifes do YOU own ?).

The NBL owners have a responsability only to the money they are spending out of their own pocket to see a Basketball team in their area - that is the full sum of it. Thats why the NBL wants community based ownership - over the 30+ years NO NBL franchise has ever achieved a cumalative profit - or even a break even - in their lifetime. EVERY franchise has also gone broke at some stage, some have survived - some have not.

This is not the NBA.

I believe the ownership group, through the CEO, is taking on board every approach from an established basketball coach that they can. Thats why there is no " full support" statement from CEO or Charman or Board.

They know what they are going to do - If Clarke finishes with a fairytale run and makes playoffs - then all is fine.

If he does not make the playoffs, then every possibly furture contracted coach , and every EXISTING or possible future contracted player see that this ownership group will honour contracts in full, and that the CJ sacking was ONLY done at the instruction of a coach who is no longer there - but who still had their own contract fullfilled in full.

Bums on seats for the balance of this season will be financially insignificant , conpared to what would happen to season ticket sales next season if the ownership group announce for 2013/14 the retaining of Petrie, Luke, Gibson, DJ, Creek ( there's a possible starting 5) and at least one if not two very strong imports, the probable retention of Cadee, and the signing of (say) a head coach with two strong assistants , with the names (say) of Maher and Smyth in that mix somewhare.

As my previously posted open letter said - I don't think that the SOS group have actually made any bad decisions so far - they have deserved better success from those decisions - but I have not seen them panic as yet, and sacking Clarke as the ship is appearing to go under - but has not yet sunk - could very much be seen as a panic move later on.

Support the players, support SOS , and maybe hope that MC ( Marty Clarke or Marcus Camby ?) can make a success of this season and the next - or if not - can enjoy the 36ers doing very very well in 2013/14

Reply #395621 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

PS

Support the players, support SOS , and maybe hope that MC ( Marty Clarke or Marcus Camby ?) can make a success of this season and the next - or if not - can enjoy the 36ers doing very very well in 2013/14 witho out them .

sorry - hit wrong key

Reply #395622 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Jai Bendall didn't get a quote from Daryl Simmons because the bloke is on holidays with his family and can't be contacted. But I would say he got an inside tip from someone at the 36ers that Marty Clarke's job until the end of the season depends on this coming weekends results. Whether or not this is actually the case remains to be seen.

Three year plan or not (and I don't doubt he has one, no professional coach would go into a job trying to just 'wing it'), the facts remain that Marty Clarke has dished up a 22-47 record as coach of the 36ers, with 6 of those 47 losses coming in the past 6 games. And not for the first time under Clarke we went through a whole month of a season without a win. In fact it happened twice in the 2012 calender year, January and December. All of that suggests to me that the plan which is now into its 3rd year, has failed.

But the problem isn't just on the basketball court. This season we have yet to see a crowd above 5,000, with our biggest being just 4,740 for the loss last Friday to the Breakers. Last season we averaged 4,954 over the 14 home games, with a highest of 6,194 against Cairns in Rd.14 (a 67-72 loss after leading at the last change, another recurring theme of Clarke's coaching). Because of the way the team is playing, and being ineptly coached, fans are staying away this year despite most 'experts' generally agreeing before the season that this team should be a top 3 contender. Dwindling crowd numbers are bad for business. I know having Sunday arvo games instead of Friday or Saturday night games hasn't helped, but neither has the way the team is coached to play.

As for who the 36ers should bring in if they do sack Clarke? Personally I hope they learn and don't bring in another rookie as head coach (sorry to those who want Brett Maher as coach, though he would make a good assistant right now). They should get someone who has been there and done that in the NBL. Ken Cole would be perfect if not for his age (69) and health, so he's not an option, though I hope he can buy the club because he has a genuine passion for basketball, Adelaide, and the 36ers and I think he would be good for the club. I personally think any replacement for Clarke would probably come down to Brendan Joyce or Phil Smyth.

Reply #395623 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

HoldenV8 - best post this year!!!!

Reply #395624 | Report this post

kobe24  
Years ago

Holden perfectly put. Read it fellow posters, no emotion just level headed opinion.

Reply #395625 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Thanks Spinner and kobe24, very much appreciated.

Reply #395627 | Report this post

Bolter  
Years ago

@very old. So no weigh in the line up for next year?

Reply #395635 | Report this post

Bolter  
Years ago

Joyce ? Wow so Daniel for point guard then??

Reply #395637 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Why would Smythe come back after the way he was treated??

Reply #395648 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Getting Smythe back would take the skill of a UN negotiator.

If a "clean skin " is to be considered, there's not too many names that spring to mind. Probably only a couple of assistants, but experience counts for everything in the NBL. Maybe Liam Flynn could make a homecoming?

Reply #395668 | Report this post

Midnight Blue  
Years ago

DEAN KINSMAN FOR NEXT COACHING ROLE IN ADELAIDE

Bring back a local boy that has been away for many years and was an original Sixer himself.
The boy has many qualifications and has been successful in Junior and Senior coaching gigs(Premierships locally and accross borders)
He has International knowledge and experience coupled with a passion to continually be successful.He builds teams through Development of Juniors and gains valuable experienced players if needed for his team mix.
This guy cares about SA basketball and understands supporter interest and enthusiasm while keeping things simple yet challenging for his teams.
As "King Cole" recently said" Basketball should not be complicated play D play O and back your team to be better at executing both over your competitor"
Worth a shot we have tried lesser experienced coaches!!

Reply #395671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Midnight, that would be replacing like with like. Way too much baggage as a result of his time in Canberra where the criticism of choices still resonates

Reply #395677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I always hoped that Dean would come back at some stage & be the Lightning Coach. A great coach for sure but from what i hear Dean is on a very good wicket in Melbourne working with one of the big private schools heading up their basketball program.

Reply #395683 | Report this post

Midnight Blue
For what its worth Im a Tigers supporter and involved in our local VBL and SEBL competition so I have to make comment on this post!!
Careful, Sandringham would not like to let this guy go!!
He has had a positive effect on their Junior and Senior programs and is delivering the goods with the Management team.
I believe he has also had a positive effect on the Victorian Schools program that he is involved in??
Didnt realise he was a SA boy but would suggest he is now firmly entrenched in Melbourne, although in this game nothing is forever or in concrete.
Adelaide 36ers need stability right now, atleast till the EOS but if the long term plan is not put in place soon then the club will suffer long term.
Adelaide needs a coach and coaching succession plan that can bring the Management Group, Players and Supporters together and ASAP.
Good Luck Adelaide is important to the NBL.!!

Reply #395689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CANBERRA!! How long ago was that?
As a player who played under him just ask this question? What was his reign at the Institute really like re results and respect as a coach and mentor??
During his time at the Institute are you aware that his record was quite good overall and he has had more top players come through his system than other coach on the Womens side!! He is not only tagged a future WNBL coach but started his career as a Mens Player Coach in Adelaide with Sturt and played at Forrestville!
He has coached and played for Australia(many years agoas a Junior) played for the Adelaide 36ers assisted at the Adelaide Lighning,Coached Internationally,won several ABL Premierships etc etc
Check out his CV on basketball!!
The above suggests this guy is not Like for Like!! Kinsman, Maher what a succession plan for Adelaide Basketball!!

Reply #395694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^Above post^^^ a fellow by the name of Phil Brown has also produced some quality female basketballers in his time at the AIS. Please do the research.

Reply #395697 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Given the fairly dismal record of EX AIS head coaches once they have left the very unique environment of the AIS ( with the very singular exception of Adrian Hurley), I think that there could be a stong argument that AIS coaches don't translate well into the "real world".

Not saying that they don't do a good job at the AIS, just saying that it does not prepare them well for a life after.

Reply #395715 | Report this post

SamCro  
Years ago

Very Old - ^^^Terrific Points Made^^^

Reply #395718 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Two and half years ago Cole would have gone with Stacker , although he wouldda given Ninnis another year . Anyone , I don't care , with Cole mentoring out there.

Reply #395721 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

A replacement for Clarke this season need not be the coach for next year. Could just be a caretaker, but they have to try something. The 0-6 stretch could've and should've been 5-1 at least given the positions they were in or the opposition. That would've had us in a great position at 10-4 or so.

Reply #395724 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

I would have thought that an experienced Brian Goorjain would have to be one of the first targets, but I am guessing he is out of the price range these days.

Next for my vote would be Joey Wright - a proven winner in the NBL environment and knows half the team from Blaze days!

A few have suggested Brett may be good, but I don't think the time is right to try any unproven coaching talent - just my view!

Reply #395726 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

I think for stability, team harmony and continuity's sake, it is better to finish the season off as is.

At least you know you have a dedicated coach with the players' support.

With a new coach it is a total cr@p shoot.

Believe it or not, it could get worse.

The players could lose (more) morale then lose interest.

I think it would be better for the public to support the Sixers and pack the stadium out for the rest of the year.

If we want to affect change, perhaps we should look WITHIN?

'Sack Marty' threads and threads listing players and coaches to drop / retain and pick up for next year when the season is just on half way DO NOT HELP.

Reply #395730 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

I think Marty should be given the option to stay on next year as an assistant coach. It is pretty clear he isn't up to standard in gametime situations but he seems to be a good development/training coach. Maybe a few years behind a savvy head coach would give him the development he needs to take the next step in his coaching career.

I may be one of the few but I honestly still see him making it as a coach at NBL level but just like any young player he needs time to develop before he can realise his potential. Now obviously, the 36ers are not in a position to keep persisting with him as the head coach and I agree a change needs to be made but I think the club looking to develop him rather than just burning bridges and sacking him is the way to go.

Reply #395732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac if they dont have the RIGHT coach already selected for next season ready to go NOW then its far smarter to let Marty coach the year out.

It will take months to go through that recruitment process the right way though.

Reply #395733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Camel give the Cole things rest. He has bigger issues than this and it's easy to say what people would have done when they never had the chance. He has spoken before about supporting sixers and gone home again every time. Let the man concentrate on his health.

Joey Wright you would think would want to see what happens in Brisbane.

Goorjans price tag would send us broke.

Seems funny how split people are over Brett. It's great to suggest all these names but just because we suggest them doesn't mean they would want it. They would be priced right etc.

You can also only rehash the old so many times.

Reply #395734 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Yes Marcus..........lets reward the coach who has done so well for the past two and a half seasons with a win loss of 30% and proven inability to finish games. Yes let's write off the season and any chance we may have at the finals. How is that going to fill any stadium? If Clarke stays on the Sixers will soon be able to move their home games to Hillcrest!!

Reply #395735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spinner at least Marcus talks rationally and thinks about what he says and despite any issues any of us have with the coach he makes sense when he talks about the team.

If you really can stop supporting the club and team because of the coach then go to hillcrest. If you think players know the difference in booing and who it is supposed to e aimed at go to hillcrest. We are still a club and a team and love the sport.

You can't attack a bloke for not wanting to run away from his club and team because he doesn't agree with something.

If you don't agree with your kiss tomorrow will you quit or still support your job.

What makes people think abandoning the team helps anyone.

It probably helps close another door on the club and Ken Cole ain't gonna save you !!

Reply #395739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you will find Smythe was an ex AIS coach before the Adelaide gig.

Reply #395742 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@Spinner...

Its not about 'rewarding' him mate.

I understand his record is not stellar and it is causing the fans some frustration.

Its about risk vs benefits.

I feel it is riskier to bring in a new coach who the players don't know (and with the fans expecting a 180 degree turnaround), than it is sticking with a known coach who has the confidence of the players.

If the players all came out and proclaimed that working with Marty is impossible, or even grumbled that the situation was 'untenable'...then I could understand, losing the confidence of the 'troops' chouls be the final straw. This is not the case.

What if what some say are true and the organisation would cop a decent hit to pay him out? What if that hit echo'ed into a reduction in next year's budget?

Reply #395744 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Like the rest of us, Marcus has the right to his opinion. We also have the right to disagree with that opinion. I don't recall saying anything about me not supporting the club......infact I don't recall anyone on here actually saying that they would no longer support the Sixers. What people are saying is that the team will not succeed witht he current coach and don't expect the fans to tollerate this any longer.

We arent making this up - the Sixers have lost their last 6 games and have gone from a good position to heading back to the abyss they have found themselves in the last two seasons under this coaching team. Most of us on this site are long time season ticket holders and we actually give a stuff enough to bother posting about it.

Reply #395745 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Camby I doubt all the players are behind him like you continue to say. Only 2 have spoken publically that I am aware off - Cadee and Creek who he coached at the AIS. The rest are keeping quite.

The players were 100% behind Neil Craig as well and as soon as he left it was like a breath of fresh air and the rigid structures taken off - I feel the same would happen for the 36ers

Reply #395748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fully agree mate that we all have a right to opinions.

To suggest ( and some have) that people stop going unt Marty goes as some have ( not saying you don't get all defensive ) can only cripple the club.

We believe funds are low, he would be entitled to a payout and a replacement paid And people stop attending.

My god I am no Donald Trump but even I know that's not good for business.

Reply #395749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marcus, it doesn't matter if Marty has the support of the players. The players are not bigger than the club! The club right now is in a crisis mode, and Marty has done nothing to suggest he is going to fix this. The problems that Marty had in year one are the same that he's having in year 3.

I don't doubt that Marty's probably a nice guy. He has the support of the players. But hey, Rini Coolen was a nice guy too, and Matty Primus had the support of every player in port's dressing room. There comes a point when being nice and having player support doesn't cut it. The only thing that cuts it is winning, and right now, Marty hasn't done enough of that.

Reply #395753 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Anon - 472

Phil Smythe did not head coach , nor sit on the bench as an assistant coach, for a single AIS game, male of female, during his time in Canberra - His eventual wife at that time, Jenny Cheesman did have a full time coaching stint there for several years, she moved there in late 1982 early 83 - and he folowed her, left St Kilda and joined the Cannons

I believe he was listed as a skills coach - so that he could get full and free access to the AIS mediacl facilities ( as well he should have anyway as a boomers player - just as LJ does now - but the system was not set up that was at that time)

Reply #395754 | Report this post

POP  
Years ago

Please, whatever happens, whenever it happens, let's exclude Goorjian now. I see him has having played a major role in the cynical brutalising of the game that has occurred in recent years and would not want to see the 36ERs [or any other team for that matter]support or encourage that approach by employing him.

And in case you wonder what I'm on about,I am talking about the cynical approach of having his teams just go out and keep thumping and holding people so hard and often that the referees become so accustomed to it, or so embarrassed by the number of calls they need to make to try to keep players playing within the rules and spirit of the game, that they stop calling the fouls that are patently, obviously there.

It may enable them to win, but it's often a long way from what the game should be or was meant to be, in my opinion, and is usually anything but good to watch.

And before someone suggests I'm 'soft' and this is the way the modern game is played ... I do appreciate good, tough defence but that's about heart, effort and footwork, not chopping, holding, pushing, moving screens and people walking under players who are rebounding or taking a jump-shot or layup!

Reply #395755 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@Spinner...

As do I respect your right to form and voice your opinions.

When I say people are not supporting the club I meant :

- Boo'ing the team.
- Boycotting the games and encouraging others to do so.
- Countless 'Sack Marty' threads (Last count was 729).
- Threads about who to boot, keep and recruit next year HALFWAY through this season.
- Posts about hoping the 6'ers lose each game as it will trigger a Marty sacking.

These are not the actions of a supporter of the Adelaide 36'ers.

The only one I have asked people not to do (respectfully) is to NOT boo the team.

Just got to hang in there, fans and players believed in Woolpert @ 0 - 10...now 4 - 0 since.

Reply #395756 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Anon'753...

I think it does matter that Marty has the players confidence, imperative in fact.

By bringing in someone new jeopardises this last bit ( can't find a better word) holding it together.

I am not saying a new coach will not produce results.

I am saying it is riskier to bring in someone new than to stick with something we know.

Reply #395758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marcus, the team has been playing miserably. They have done absolutely nothing as of late to deserve anyone's support. I support the club, but I cannot support the way this team has been playing lately. It's an absolute shambles. If the boos weren't justified I can understand your gripe. But this team needs a wakeup call, and keeping blind faith support for the sake of keeping people's spirits up is bullshit.

Reply #395759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you're a so called passionate supporter deliberatly NOT supporting your team because they're not travelling well is absolutely disgusting, id never abandon my kids because they werent doing so well in school, and id hate them to grow up with these kinds of sportsmanship and life morals.

Reply #395761 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Anon - so , you thought Ninnis didn't communicate well with players . Clarke does , I know .
Cain't you give him some help at the games though
If you are not gonna make the change
So sorry Ken Cole's health ain't very good .

Reply #395762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Comparing someone's children to your favourite sporting team. Yep, makes perfect sense...

Reply #395770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zero tollerance on this one champ, appauling behaviour. I can understand casual fans maybe thinking twice about attending but seasoned "fans"???

DISGUSTING.

Its people like you who put families off attending games because of their disgusting abuse they hurl at games and booing etc when their team is losing. Crowd attendances are probably suffering as much from losing as they are from ugly "supporters".

There are professional teams all over the world that have sustained success then sustained failure, its the way of sport. REAL fans stick by them through the tough times not just the good.

The 36'ers dont need trailer trash so called "fans" like you.

Reply #395771 | Report this post

Vespa  
Years ago

MC....

Regardless if Marty keeps his job next season ( he won't ).
Do you think he has done enough to keep his job?

And if your reply is " wait to see if we make finals"
Highly unlikely we will.

Also... You keep saying the players have his back. You
say that because 2 players stated it publicly. By that reasoning,
You could assume the rest if the team excluding Cadee and Mitch,
Do not rate him as a coach because they have not said anything.

Reply #395772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marcus we would be 4-0 too if we got to play the 36ers! Face it the team is shit user this retarded coaching. Ill pipe up how ever the hell I want to. You can make your points in the most diplomatic well put ways, but your points are completely off and although I find it entertaining to see all the grey responses to your true lack of knowledge on the matter I wish you would disappear.

Fact a lot of the players are very upset with the in game coaching, and who gives a rat shit how happy the players are to play for a 5-9 team. Maybe the organization should try pissing them off might get better results with a rocket up their asses.

Reply #395774 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Townsville has only gone 4-0 because they've been up against a Marty Clarke coached team three times in four games Marcus...

Reply #395780 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@Vespa..

When I came to support Marty, it was the first loss of this 6 game slide.

Sixers had just owned the Wildcats twice and looked the goods to threaten the league.

Yes at that point Marty HAD improved, even in the Win/Loss column (which he apparently does not focus on).

Given the 6 game slide, it would be more difficult for him to put a case forward to be re-signed for another term. I concede that.

The only way is if he can turn it around, I think this stretch is more an anomaly than the norm.

Nonetheless, this team now needs the support of its fans more than ever, the next 2 weeks (2 games Vs SYD) are crucial.

I believe you are at the point where it is counter-productive to bring in a whole new system when you MUST win those 2 against SYD.

As for player support, I remember Gibbo being interviewed after a loss. The interviewer mentioned about the chatter around the team being a rabble, he said something to the effect of the team (the whole team) is still committed and blocked out the online BS.

I think all the twitter / hoops (there's even an online petition to Sack Marty ffs) negativity has forced them to close in as a group.

Reply #395782 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@Anon'774..

I don't know who you mean when you say..."Marcus we would be 4-0 too if we got to play the 36ers!"

No...intentionally 'p!ssing off' your players is not going to be productive.

Reply #395783 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@Mutley..

Saying that discounts the work that Woolpert and team have done.

Woolpert had Ben Allen @ the 5.

Now he has Neville, which means Ervin now has a legit target.

Also remember that those games were close.

I would even call that last game a bit unlucky...ADL were hitting their shots but so was Hinder. You'd normally take letting Hinder open.

Reply #395784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marcus do u disappear when Marty gets fired? Just working out how much champagne to get ready...

Reply #395785 | Report this post

Vespa  
Years ago

MC

I think you are getting confused about this whole support
thing. We all support the players. We don't support Marty Clarke and
his coaching style. Even you must agree that it just isn't working.

Us as supports do not expect to win every game. I think the educated supporters
on here just want to see improvement. There has not been any improvement.

Marty Clarke maybe a good coach. But, he is not right for the 36ers. Whatever
the reason may be... It just has not worked. At some stage,like in any sport, you have to cut your losses. The Power and Primus is a prime example.

Reply #395795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marcus you are a mentally weak person, it's not u10's were competing is good enough. This team is ment to be a professional outfit but due to a poor coach that thinks losing is acceptable the players have that attitude too. In any other sport these efforts, tweets and Facebook statuses would be unnexeptable.

Reply #395796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Saying the team is shit is a bit off. Look at Howard games we have lost by 4 or less. That's 1 or 2 shots

Make them and we are heroes. Now I admit the coaching staff need to be looked at but he didn't shoot 2/17 in last quarter.

And don't give me confidence crap cos they had it for the first half.

They as a group are struggling and it's not under 10's but no one deserves some of the bullshit people are putting out there. It's not like we are losing by 30 every game.

Reply #395803 | Report this post

Sixerfan  
Years ago

I have to agree with MC that a coaching change ATM is a huge risk and the team has a better chance of finishing the season well through stability.

We have all said more than enough times that the team has enough "talent" but we have also noted that the current group have not been together very long.

I am just as frustrated at the losses as everyone and I'm sure that includes MC, MR and the players. Once the new import gets on the floor the team still can make the finals!

I'm sure the players and coaches would perform closer to their potential if they had 100% support from all of our supporter base.

Reply #395808 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

A new coach will work.

Get Gleeson now!!!

Reply #395813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A 6 game losing streak an anomaly? Clarke is 22-47 since becoming coach of the sixers. Losing has been the norm for the past 2 and a half years, Marty isn't the person to change that.

Reply #395818 | Report this post

Jeff  
Years ago

Guys, Marty is almost there, give him another year to get us a championship. Bloody fair weather fans, fuckin hopeless!

Reply #395819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hahaha give him another year, what a good joke Jeff

Reply #395822 | Report this post

kobe24  
Years ago

Thats sooooo jeff haha

Reply #395827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol at people saying I'm not a real fan because I booed Marty. NFI if you're saying that and it's weak as piss. It's professional sport, man up and work out ways to win. If the players are too weak to hear their coach being booed in a six game losing streak they need to man up too. I'm sure guys like Gibbo and Peach are as frustrated as the fans and understand.

People booing are passionate, their season ticket holders putting their money into the club and who are wanting to see signs of improvement desperately. To say they are not fans while sitting on your computer is insulting and deeply offensive. Love to see you say that to my face.

Reply #395838 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

"Keeping blind faith support in order to keep people's spirits up is bull..."

So booing, chanting "sack the coach", online petitions, or just deliberately being absent from games are the best alternatives to supporting your team. From the evidence before me I can't help think our fan base as a collective is struggling as much as the organisation.

I don't understand the current coach's methods at the best of times but that's insignificant when all I'm hearing from owners, management, coach, players and fans is that none of this is experience is fun.

As a supporter it disappoints me that the people I'm paying money to support feel like the supporter group (which by association includes me and my family) is, in part, contributing to the negative experience.

This suggests to me that our approach, attitude and behaviour as fans during the tough times is just as important to the legacy of our great organisation as any contibution by great owners, management, coaches or players.

Perhaps instead of continuing down this path of anger and disappointment perhaps we, the fans, need to make an adjustment and make a more concerted effort (at the games and on forums like this one) to raise above the disappointments and come up with concepts and ideas that make the remaining games a more favourable experience for everyone (heaven forbid, coach included) and most importantly takes some pressure off the team.

Being allegedly the "most knowledgable fans in the country" doesn't necessarily make us the best. As a supporter group perhaps our collective challenge for the rest of the season, regardless of the results on the court, is to be the most supportive fan base of all the clubs. Perhaps the change in fortunes rests with us being more positive in our overall support regardless of who is coaching..

Even Marty acknowledged that everyone is hurting, perhaps it's time we got past our own individual agendas and putting more energy into stopping the pain by giving the team, coaches, management and owners the best level of support we can give them, after all, surely we are all wanting the same outcome....success for the Adelaide 36ers.

Reply #395839 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Sixerfan, just what are we risking by changing coaches at this point in time? Risking the coveted wooden spoon? Its not expected that by changing coaches now will see a complete turnaround to the season, but will bring back encouragement from the fans that the club is serious about its future.

Reply #395840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow another hero. I am sure gibbo and peach are just as frustrated. What makes you think players are but coaches aren't. Some of those players you mention have made critical mistakes in the last minute or 2.

Man up yourself hero it's one in all in. That's sport. !!

Reply #395841 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Spinner, I agree Brian Goorgian is probably out of our price range, but I would think that the support for the club if a coach of his calibre took over the coaching position would attract more support and sponsorship. The club should atleast see what he is prepared to work for and then approach sponsors to see if they would help foot the bill. Season ticket holders may even be happy to pay an additional $30 for their tickets. For example, 2,000 season tickets at an additional $30 is $60,000. Add this to whatever the club is prepared to pay for a coach, plus some additional funds from sponsors, may see the price met.

Reply #395842 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@BigAds...

Post of the year mate.

Precisely what the team needs now is for the fans to really get behind the team.

Fill the house tomorrow and really rock it.

Its been too quiet in the last few home games. We all need to let the players AND Coaches know the City is behind them 100%.

This will really give morale a much needed boost and put this negativity behind us.

Better spending the energy showing an unified front then ugly finger pointing.

Reply #395848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big Ads is SPOT ON!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #395857 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

EC - funny how times change...........can you believe we are now talking about chipping in to get Boy Goorgian!? We miss that exposed neck vein and red face when the scores are close!

Reply #395858 | Report this post

Sixerfan  
Years ago

EC, we are risking playing finals for a start! And before you comment that finals will not happen its important that we give the team the best chance to do that. Impossible as it may sound to you, it is still something that can be achieved.

All fans should get along to the games and give 100%, just like we all expect 100% from the players, coaches and admin.

Reply #395863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great last line sixerfan.

All fans should give 100 percent just like they expect from everyone else.

It should be one in all in. Not you do it but I won't.

Bravo

Reply #395865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes it would be rather hypocritacal to expect 100% positive effort and commitment from the players and coaching staff when the (some) fans wont give it themselves.

Reply #395869 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

The title of this thread has been lost in all the emotion. Marty Clarke and the job he has done as the Sixer's Coach and separately, the continued support of the team by the fan base.

We can be unhappy with the coach and want his head on a block, but that doesn't mean we don't support the team. On the contrary, the fact we are annoyed and unhappy with a 5-9 win loss and want to show some emotion about it means we want the team to succeed.

Blindly following the team when we can all see the poor coaching performance is irresponsible and we as fans, have a duty to yell out our opposition to that.

Reply #395874 | Report this post

Sixerfan  
Years ago

Spinner, I guess that's the difference between "fans" and "supporters"

Supporters will stick be the whole club through thick and thin. They will trust in the whole club and that means trust they will make the right decisions at the right time based on all the information. They are the experts, not the general public.

There wouldn't be a person working at the club who isn't doing their best for the club. Sometimes your best isn't good enough, simple as that.

I can't accept comments about "if I performed that poorly at work I'd be sacked..."
People get beaten by the competition in the work place everyday! Pretty sure McDonalds don't sack a burger flipper every time KFC gets a sale...

The negativity from some "fans" isn't helping the players and coaches.

Reply #395875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The negative energy in Adelaide Arena is obvious. Has been for many years.

Reply #395879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When was the last time there was positive energy

Reply #395881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes spinner but the problem with comments like we as fans have a right because it shows we care suggests that anyone else involved In The club doesn't except you.

I am not naive enough to think as a member that board, management and yes players and coaches don't care. Everyone does.

Imagine if bad fans or supporters hi to get sacked like everyone wants other people to. Small crowd then ??

Reply #395882 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Positive energy is there at the start of every game........before the let down of another defeat. Far too many nights walking back to the car after yet another lost game.

Reply #395883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think people want positive energy anymore. They have talked themselves into always attacking. And as previously stated without facts.

No one will ever come in and produce a championship straight away and that makes Adelaide a scary place to coach if we create that environment.

Reply #395884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How weak are you lot? The players aren't performing due to the 'negative energy' in the arena???

I tell you what pressure is. Pressure is getting four bills but only being able to pay two while raising your kids. Pressure isn't forgetting to box out or get back on D (DJ) because you heard boos at the end of your professional sporting match.

Reply #395885 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

#395885 - great comment!

Reply #395887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not the coaches fault you have trouble with your bills either.

It is sport and everyone on that court is jut as responsible.

It's easy to say we hear the crowd and it lifts us, what does it do then we they are silent or boo.

Reply #395890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide smash NZ in the first half and it was like a morgue in there.

Reply #395895 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Sixerfan, what are you calling 100% fan support? I have been a season ticket holder for the last 10 years. I have missed a grand total of 3 games in the 10 years but attended around 20 or so interstate. Calling for change is not lack of support.
Anon #95895

Adelaide smash NZ in the first half and it was like a morgue in there.

I thought the fans were very loud and energetic in the first half of the NZ game. It was the atmosphere we want to enjoy on a regular basis and will automatically happen when the game is played like that.

Reply #395903 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

A double loss this weekend actually suggests we should keep the current coach until season end. The season will surely be gone with 2 losses this weekend so why change and spend money in doing so if nothing can be salvaged.

Reply #395905 | Report this post

POP  
Years ago

The starting point for 'positive energy' at games is for the team to perform well - win or lose.

The crowd by definition supports the team, not the other way around. A crowd cannot generate 'positive energy' without the team. The crowd responds to or feeds off the team, which is the starting point.

I have never seen it work the other way around - i.e., the crowd spark a team that is struggling into an exciting perfomrance.

Once the team provides the spark to light the crowd up the crowd and team can interact and feed off each other, building the 'atmosphere'.

Of course, if the team turns off, or the coach subs out the player playing with passion &/or on a streak and the team goes back to playing boring basketball and generally loses the plot [not necessarily the game] the crowd will react to that too, and return to the role of observers or critics.

It takes two to tango, and to build 'positive atmosphere' - which, by the way, is much, much more than 'noise'.

Reply #395908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

THIS IS ABOSLUTE CRAP:

"I have never seen it work the other way around - i.e., the crowd spark a team that is struggling into an exciting perfomrance".

No wonder People think some of you are front runners.

Reply #395914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

POP, clearly you've never watched College Basketball or an AFL Cheersquad....

Reply #395917 | Report this post

Goorjian to 36ers  
Years ago

I'd love to see Goorjian come back from China to coach the 36ers for the next 5 years.

Reply #395921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh so that's why the sixers lost last week , the crowd wasnt loud enough in the 2nd half . I get it now .

Reply #395934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Give us something to cheer about and we'll cheer.

Easy formula.

Keep making the same mistakes over and over again with no signs of improvement and no indication that those areas have been addressed and guess what you get?

Reply #395935 | Report this post

KracKa BballiN'  
Years ago

I was there last week and first half was loudest id heard in a while. But as soon as 2nd half started every regular ticket holder could see what was about to happen, the crowd dropped off as the intensity did. Big cheers came after scores in the last quarter...but that wasnt very many times now was it.

Reply #395947 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Seeing the posts to support your team really gives me heart.

Finally I am seeing some of that gusto this fanbase is known for.

If you can get behind your team (including Marty), anything can happen.

And it starts tonight.

Carn....Marty and Mark ...bring us to the promised land!

Reply #395949 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@Anon'884...

Agreed...for too long people here have stirred themselves into a ugly 'Sack Marty' ferver and they refuse to move forward, refuse to see the potential for positive.

Unfortunately it just kept feeding on itself and manifesting into countless Sacking threads (even poor Radford got drawn into it), then there is a continual discussions about who to axe when the season is only half way.

Half way!

It takes a braver supporter to look past the negativity and really support the club.

I am glad more people are showing their support around the team and Marty.

Reply #395952 | Report this post

Goorjian to 36ers  
Years ago

We need to get Goorjian to coach the 36ers.

He knows the players, and has coached Gibson to a championship back at the Dragons.

He gets wins. He gets championships. He's the most successful coach in the NBL's history.

We need him here in Adelaide. Make it happen.

Reply #396143 | Report this post

Yeah let's get boy goorj here. Bloke knows how to win that's for sure.

Hey marcus I know what might stop adding fuel to all these sack Marty sentiments.... Maybe if we actually started winning they might quiet down hey!

Reply #396146 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:46 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754