Anonymous
Years ago

Is the NBA rigged?

Obviously the whole association is not rigged but there is talk on the internet about key playoff games which have been decided by refs. There is a lot on the internet out there about it but you lot are a bright bunch so what are your thoughts?

Topic #30404 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBA obviously prefers series to go longer in the playoffs to generate more revenue, evidenced by the use of the 2-3-2 format in the finals. I'm not 100% sure that it is rigged but there are some games which I can't question to think that the refs had a significant part in helping out teams win. The NBA loves to have series tied 1-1 going into game 3. Game 1 is often a blowout, the second game is always closer with a lot more touchy calls. It's a shady league for sure, but the talent is second to none.

Reply #395938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whats better for the league/tv/entertainment/storylines.
2001 NBA Finals, Milwaukee v Sacramento, or LA v Iverson?
Can't completely rig, but can influence in some ways.

Reply #395939 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think individual games are rigged, but I think the league is not unhappy to get blockbuster games between big market teams even if it means many others are just making up the numbers.

Reply #395950 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Only rigged for the big market teams. Refs turning a blind eye/ delibirately calling soft fouls. Want examples?

Game 6 2002 WCF Sacramento v LA
Game 5 2010 WCF Phoenix v LA
Game 7 2010 Finals Boston v LA
The whole 2006 finals (well game 3 onwards)
Game 5 2008 WCF San Antonio v LA (horrendous no call on a game tying/winning 3 by Barry)
Game 3 2012 western semis OKC V LA (stern wanted this series to go long).

These are playoff games in recent times off the top of my head.

Reply #395954 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Everyone knows its rigged....the "NBA" has ref's that are like 70+ years old that have been ensuring results forever!

Reply #395959 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Bad calls, yes, quite often there are some debatable calls made during crucial times that may decide games.

Rigged, well that's a big call, isn't it...

If we look at the competition right now, it has never been better, or more open for quite some time.

When we look at the whole of the NBA, not just officials, maybe there is a hint of evening out going on.

Maybe there is a slight tampering with draft pick, player transfers, coaching and yes, officiating, that when combined could lead one to a perception of the NBA being rigged!

But we can say this about almost any top flight competition, can't we.....?

Do we want the NBA to end up like the EPL, I mean how boring is it to watch Manchester United win every year and get all the money, the best players and ref's calls???

I think perception is worse than the reality, or at least I hope it is...

Reply #395970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, that is what people on all the discussions say, they are just stupid.
Unlike us!

Reply #395981 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Something wasn't right about the 2002 WC Finals between Sac-Town and LA.

The length of a play-off series is more important that the match-up. Advertisement money generate by more games is greater than money generated by marquee match-ups (unless it goes to 7 games). The two marquee franchises may be better off financially.

There's been a tonne of examples of where people believe the NBA is rigged, personally I think most are bunk, especially the allegations of the drafts being rigged.

On the other-hand... David Stern is the devil.....

Reply #396035 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Yes. The FBI has even said as much without a proper investigation

Reply #396042 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

The Tim Donaghy issue is an isolated incident.

Review and oversight is now much tighter with no chance of a wide spread conspiracy to 'rig' games!

However there have always been calls that favour players, teams, home calls, in response to fans boos or cheers. Been there forever.

Stern's era has seen the transition to game played at blistering speed but has some 'sports entertainment' ala WWE.

Next time 'Star X' shuffles, travels or palms with no call then hammers down the dunk that wins the game...ask where were the 3 refs looking?

But I love it too!!!!!

Reply #396168 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

NBA rigging games for teams is a big call. But NBA hoping for games going to go to seven is definitely something the league hopes for. This is nothing new, Sam Smith wrote in "the Jordan rules" book how the NBA were hoping that the bulls would not sweep Charles Barkley 76ers in the 2nd round of the playoffs and that the series would go longer.

NBA loves big match ups. One year Rasheed Wallace threatened a ref and was suspended for 7 games. Some felt that Sterns motivation for the punishment of seven games was to avoid the Kings and the Lakers playing in the first round of the playoffs which Stern was openly worried about as the trailblazers was a conference rival.

Reply #397206 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:58 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754