David Toohey
Years ago

Passionate coach - Smyth

Was at a sports function in Melbourne this week where Smyth was a guest speaker along with other AFL coaches.
Smyth's passion and love for the game was infectious. In question/answer time I found him to be the most innovative of the speakers.
Our table agreed that Smyth is a legend and if he was to go back to coaching he would be a huge success.
I want him at the Melbourne Tigers, get rid of Anstey - he cant coach and bring in someone who is proven and innovative.

Topic #30421 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

And anyone who saw phils last three years here would disagree with you 100% !

Reply #396241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the last three years the club was broke -the fact they just missed out on the finals was a miracle!

Reply #396243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2nd to bottom in Smyth's last season. It was clear he needed to move on those last few seasons.

Reply #396244 | Report this post

The last three seasons his hands were tied and the board wanted him gone so I wouldn't judge him on that. Sometimes people get funny when they believe a coach has overstayed their welcome and they want change for changes sake.

Reply #396246 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Passionate is not how I would describe Phil's coaching in those last few years in Adelaide. Reckon Gordie uses a lower budget as an excuse in Wollongong?

He can talk though.

Makes me think though - wonder if Breheny would coach again?

Reply #396254 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Breheny's finest coaching moment was giving Keough a Liverpool Kiss.

Reply #396255 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@ManuteBolsFather....

"Sometimes people get funny when they believe a coach has overstayed their welcome and they want change for changes sake."

Yes I know what you mean.

Reply #396256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with that. Geordie is a seriously good coach. Is he coming out of contract? Would throw the kitchen sink if he was available?

Wouldnt be unhappy with smyth. Wouldnt be unhappy with anyone really- gleeson, joyce, wright, maher etc. Just gotta make the change now.

Kind of feel sorry for Clarke. Wouldn't be they way he invisioned his pro career to pan out, sadly.

Reply #396257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So one minute it's get to of Clarke for Smyth.

Now we have excuses for Smyth cos the club was broke.

Out of curiosity how do we think they are travelling financially now.

Reply #396261 | Report this post

Guns  
Years ago

They had a great team at the start of the season. They picked up a few GC Blaze players.

It all went to crap when Clarke sacked Massingale. Have not won a game since that.

Marty if you want to know the problem look in a mirror

Reply #396267 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Phil had to go but it might be a good time to bring him back. A lot more talent on the roster than in Phil's last few years.

Reply #396274 | Report this post

Going back  
Years ago

Isaac, what was Breaney like as Coach @ Lightning?
- Very poor.....

What was he like as coach of Eastern men?
- Very poor......

Not a good option IMO

I think perhaps he was very good as assistant to Phil during the championship days but offers little motivation as head coach

Reply #396277 | Report this post

pure silk  
Years ago

Had the pleasure of speaking to Phil on a few occassions and each time i wanted to play bball straight away. Very smart man who knows his stuff. Clearly hamstrung by management in latter years which affected all but give me a choice of whom I want to take over Clarke easily Phil is the man. Knows the club , media , fans and would put bums on seats and create enthusiasm . Cant remember the last time i saw a standing ovation during a game for our team since his days

Reply #396280 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Clarke has spent the full cap. Only had peanuts for the imports because half the rest of the roster isn't cheap.

Breheny's finest coaching was being the brains behind three championships.

If the game has passed SJ by, I wouldn't be rushing to Phil. I think coaching and the NBL have changed since then. Which coach of the successful teams "lets the players play"? They're all pretty strategically focused now.

Reply #396286 | Report this post

Guns  
Years ago

Joey Wright seemed to but think he has a lack of discipline with players as well.

Reply #396298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe a Maher/Breheny experiment for rest of year?

Is it likely that in the case of a Marty sacking/resignation, that radford would follow?

Reply #396299 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:12 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754