KingJames
Years ago

Madgen throws chair at umpire = No Tech

The umpires in the NBL are an absolute joke.

Madgen felt he was fouled after a drive and is on the ground, picks up a chair and throws it in the direction of the umpire, the chair hits him. The umpires call no tech or anything. That is unbelievable!

If the NBL doesn't suspend him for that then I think its fine for any player to get a chair and throw it at an umpire.

Topic #30436 | Report this topic

Fliners80  
Years ago

Didn't look that bad however the NBL needs to step in with a penalty to show it does not condone this behaviour. Maybe 1 game suspension and a fine

Reply #396679 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Madgen is a sook. Wasn't close to being a foul and to overreact like that is a joke.

Reply #396680 | Report this post

Bucketman  
Years ago

Maybe they could add it to the stats column.... Madgen - chairs thrown = 1.

Reply #396681 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I dont think he threw it at the ref, but it certainly hit him! Maybe a $500 fine?

Reply #396685 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

I don't think he meant to throw the chair at the Ref.

Although it was reckless, if not the ref could have hit another player.

Probably warrants a reprimand from the league.

That chair was quite close to the action though.

Reply #396687 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Madgen best stage actor in the nbl, acts like a little bitch when things don't go his way, should get fined, shame great player

Reply #396690 | Report this post

Sydney kings Fan  
Years ago

"Madgen best stage actor in the nbl, acts like a little bitch when things don't go his way, should get fined, shame great player"

ARE YOU RETARDED? madgen puts has much effort if not more, than ever other player in the nbl, and in no way does he act like a "little bitch", although i admit, throwing the chair was a terrible idea ( as it could have hit another player or anything), and he should have just thought a bit more before doing it, he wasn't acting for attention, he was just frustrated because he slipped as he was shooting.

Reply #396693 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

as l said the guy can play but does not need to act like a spoilt child thats all, and no l am not retarded your mumma was for having you

Reply #396695 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Obviously wasn't directed at umpire intentionally. Act of frustration. Actually liked the way the umps handled it. No fuss, rational but reminded him it was over the top.

Reply #396698 | Report this post

Sydney kings Fan  
Years ago

but when madgen through the chair i really thought he was going to get ejected, and i can admit, if it was the other way around, ( tigers player threw a chair that hit ref) and got no call, i would be rageing. so yes, it was a bit weird that there was no call

Reply #396699 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Actually this could be great news for the Sixers if Madgen is suspended for a game as the Sixers play them next Sunday.

Reply #396701 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

lol this "sydney kings fan" must be a troll. not sure if srs

Reply #396703 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

some of the court decals have been dangerous as the last couple of rounds. pretty much every player in the Hawks Breakers game was slipping around at one point or another and I'm surprised there hasn't been any serious injuries.

Reply #396704 | Report this post

Sydney kings Fan  
Years ago

im not a troll? what makes you think im a troll? ahaha

Reply #396705 | Report this post

Sydney kings Fan  
Years ago

im not a troll, although i think i might have gotten a bit carried away with the madgen talk ahaha :)

Reply #396707 | Report this post

Sydney kings Fan  
Years ago

if someone accually punched a ref, how much trouble do you think they would be in?
oviously would be alot, but im just wondering

Reply #396708 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

It's clearly the chair's fault for being in the way in the first place.

For the sake of player safety it should have moved out of the way itself.

One week suspension and $500 fine for the chair.

Reply #396711 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Kicked out the league, a big fine, and if it caused injury/bleeding or something then it would probably go to the courts as it would be assault.
There's a vid on youtube of an angry guy from another league in the world (not sure which one) dropping a ref.

Reply #396714 | Report this post

Sydney kings Fan  
Years ago

^ good point, madgen just about head butted the chair, imagine if a player had fallen with all their weight on it, head, or kneck first.

Reply #396715 | Report this post

Sydney kings Fan  
Years ago

* ^^

Reply #396716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should have got ejected and reported, there were many errors on that game from the officials though, im sure allot will make their monthly shame file tape for grilling.

Reply #396717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should be a tidy fine and a suspension.

You can't pick up chairs and throw them in the general direction of the ref and actually make some contact with them.

Reply #396722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did he "Kneck" with anyone?

Reply #396729 | Report this post

kanda  
Years ago

picking anything up and throwing it regardless of the direction or if it hit someone or not warrants a tech foul, something hitting a ref/player/spectator should warrant automatic ejection and be put on report. i remember im pretty sure it was grant kruger in the suns days playing against canberra? the crowd was throwing things on the court and kruger kicked something off the court and was teched fouled for that alone. madgen IS a sook and although hes a great player hes not the be all and end all of the league and its about time he woke up to the fact that he isnt. i hope the nbl fines the arse out of him.

Reply #396730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes.. the NBL will act swiftly and decisevly and give him a $50 suspended fine, meanwhile Townsend will get dragged off the Roster for 2 weeks for not calling it.

Reply #396734 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I was surprised that no tech was called at the time as even though he crashed into it and was getting it off him (in no way did he go out of his way to pick it up and direct it at anyone as some jokers are suggesting!) he shouldn't have reacted out of frustration like that. I would have thought that any indirect contact with the ref would be an automatic tech, so even if the ref knew that it wasn't intentional, Madgen will no doubt cop a fine from the NBL in the coming days because the ref was soft...

If he gets suspended, it will be a joke, but I wouldn't be surprised...

Reply #396736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe we can bring in some tlc Tables,Ladders and Chairs fromm WWE works well for them crowds love it.

Reply #396738 | Report this post

Steve  
Years ago

My 12 year old and I sat and watched the game together. He should have been ejected immediately! What sort of example does that set for junior players watching. If it was the NBA he would have even ejected....no questions asked. I can also understand Maden's frustration. The amount of "no calls" was rediculious. No wonder the players get frustrated. They don't know what is a foul and what isn't.

Reply #396739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it happened in the NBA he'd have got ejected and 2 game suspension and 10K fine, but its the NBL, most of the Refs are too frightened to make hard calls because of negative feedback.

Reply #396740 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Steve, what sort of example does it set for your kid when you write "rediculious"?

Reply #396742 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Just uploaded the video

FYI i believe he was frustrated at the fact that there was a chair in his way, not at the ref or Ballinger.

Reply #396743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I tend to agree with the little bitch comment. First there was the incident where he provoked Scott & now this little tanty. He needs to stop behaving like a prima donna.

Reply #396744 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

natwhereyouat, you might need to upload it again as it doesn't seem to stream correctly, or is it just my internet?

Reply #396747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clear DQ Foul and Report, clearly went out of his way to grab the chair despite falling into it and hurl it at townsend, most likely because of a "no call". no if's or buts, lets see how much the League stands up for its officials.

Reply #396748 | Report this post

kanda  
Years ago

link doesnt work for me either. freezes and then my adobe crashes

Reply #396749 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Not condoning the action at all, but Madgen has clearly pushed (not thrown- wwe style!) the chair in disgust at it being in the way, the ref happened to be there! I am
a Breakers fan, not a Kings fan, but some of the suggested punishments are a bit exaggerates!

Reply #396752 | Report this post

Sydney kings Fan  
Years ago

what i think is stupid though, is that they called a foul earlier on tom garlepp walking into someone ( barely) but not Ben madgen throwing a chair....
kinda stupid

Reply #396753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Madgen would have to be blind not to see who was in the firing line of the chair, regardless of how or why he threw it he could see where it was going to go and launched it that way.

Reply #396754 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Reply #396755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Amongst a lot of errors in the last 30 sec's: missed the USF on the Kings inbounds (grabbed arm before ball inbounded) and on Scott (wrap around waiste) with 12 sec's to go too.

Reply #396756 | Report this post

Sydney kings Fan  
Years ago

i like Ben madgen, and he is a great player, so hopefully this incident wont escalate any more, and the punishment is fair.
( by escalate, i mean he wont get in too much trouble)

Reply #396758 | Report this post

Sydney kings Fan  
Years ago

although, it wasnt a well thought out thing to do.

Reply #396759 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Storm in a tea cup... I don't see much in it. Suspended fine at best. He didn't peg the chair at the ump and I think he's more pissed off that a chair was that close to the basket without one of those triangle courtside barrier thingies to offer protection.

Out of interest sake, given Madgen's recent shoulder injuries, and by looking at the footage, his shoulder/upper arm seems to take the majority of the impact with the chair, what would of happened if the collision had re-injured him??

Reply #396760 | Report this post

Sydney kings Fan  
Years ago

was he actually fouled? i cant honestly tell if there was any contact.

Reply #396761 | Report this post

Sydney kings Fan  
Years ago

but i think alot of people on this forum are overreacting.

Reply #396764 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

it may look like he's a prima donna acting up but as the Kings best player he gets a lot of treatment from opposition defense and is constantly at the foul line, a lot of the frustration is most probably warranted although furniture flying around is prob going a little overboard and may warrant a fine

Reply #396766 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

it may look like he's a prima donna acting up but as the Kings best player he gets a lot of treatment from opposition defense and is constantly at the foul line, a lot of the frustration is most probably warranted although furniture flying around is prob going a little overboard and may warrant a fine

Reply #396768 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

More a shove of the chair than a throw. Lucky to get off free for it though.

Reply #396770 | Report this post

STFU  
Years ago

Why was the chair there in the first place?

Pretty stupid place to have a chair

Reply #396774 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Madgen, Dann and Garlepp are the most antagonising players in the league. i hate watching Kings games now and they were once my fav team

Reply #396775 | Report this post

Sydney kings Fan  
Years ago

^ please explain why?
kings are the best team :)

Reply #396777 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

obvious troll is obvious ^

Reply #396778 | Report this post

Sydney kings Fan  
Years ago

Ingles13
im not a troll, i just chose to respond as stupid to that guys post as i could ahahah

Reply #396779 | Report this post

Sydney kings Fan  
Years ago

Ingles13
what team do you support?

Reply #396780 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Seems it was a Channel Ten Cameraman's chair .

Reply #396782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

STFU

The chair is there next to the basket for the channel 10 camera man to sit on. He just so happened to be standing this play

Reply #396783 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Aha, Joe the Cameraman strikes again !!

He probably gave Madgen a quick sledge so Ben was just reacting to that ...

Give it a couple of days and Joe will confess in the press and all will be forgotten.

Reply #396787 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Cant defend, cant pass...

Reply #396789 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Exactly - I saw him ... Joe didn't even try and get a hand in Madgen's face ... just stood there and watched as the chair took one for the team ....

Reply #396799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melvin Thomas once got Teed up for punching the bball padding on the stand, id say this was worthy of a similar result. Nothing more nothing less. Love Madgen's fearless approach, good young player for the league who has a true knack for making shots...

Reply #396800 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

If the video isn't suitable to watch, just go into your NBL TV accounts and watch it.

Reply #396803 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

What is the chair doing there in the first place? There is a reason there is suppose to be a 2 metre barrier around the court. And to have a chair sitting next to the basket support just aint practical.

No fine, no suspension. Notice sent to all venues about ensuring the court area is clear of all hazards with common sense applied to advertising.

Reply #396812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FM did you watch the footage or just respond like a typical ref?

The backboard and chair are both 2 metres from the baseline.

The chair is there for the camera on the baseline, like it is at every telecast game, including Adelaide.

What about every NBA game when a player falls into a photographer on the baseline, a lot closer than 2 metres and the chair in Melbourne. If a player did that and reacted he'd get fined/suspended.

Oh wait he did.

Dennis Rodman Chicago Bulls 1997
On January 15, 1997, Rodman kicked courtside cameraman Eugene Amos in the groin after tripping over him during an NBA game against the Minnesota Timberwolves. Several days later, he was fined $25,000 and suspended 11 games.

Madgen needs to be suspended and fined. The NBL has a responsibility to set an example to all players at all levels. By allowing that behaviour without penalty no local league can apply penalty for similar behaviour now.

Reply #396816 | Report this post

Sydney kings Fan  
Years ago

^ there is a big difference between kicking a innocent cameraman in the balls, and throwing a chair you just hit, and accidently hitting someone walking past.

Reply #396821 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

It's noticeable that the most retarded things posted are usually by "Anonymous". Things that people would be too embarrassed to put their username to. Things like comparing kicking a person to shoving a chair out of the way.

Reply #396822 | Report this post

Sydney kings Fan  
Years ago

^thankyou.

Reply #396825 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Is the chair contracted to Melbourne or do you think the Sixers may have a shot? Seems to play better D than others on the team

Reply #396831 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The chair threw itself.

Reply #396840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

did anyone actually watch the footage that are saying shoving the chair? he hits it and it stays behind him, he then recahes back grabs it and throws it over himself as he is lying on his back. at least he did try and put it back after he realised the error of his ways.
Still no excuse he should have been T'd up on the spot.

Reply #396864 | Report this post

Ash  
Years ago

Should have been a Tech but that is all.

Regardless of if it was thrown at anyone intentionally (and I don't believe it was). Surely we can't condone someone throwing a chair because they were pissed off.

Imagine what would happen at a local stadium if someone did that? They would be Tech'd up for sure, probably more.

Sending the wrong message by not calling the Tech on the spot.

FYI, next time I play and don't get a call I will be sure to pick up a chair next to me and throw it.

Reply #396869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think if you compare it to the 3 Disqualifying fouls the NBL have had this season (Petrie/Gouldings girls wrestle, Seth Scott's open handed soft bitch slap of Madgen) this incident in my opinion is far more sinister. I'll be very surprised if there isnt some form of investigation/reprimand from the NBL after the precedent they have set this season.

Reply #396876 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Clint Eastwood threw the chair, with Obama in it.

Reply #396895 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

Definitely should have been ejected.
Definitely should be a suspension.
Definitely should be fined.

If you saw a player get frustrated and throw a chair whether it is towards a referee or not they should be thrown out.
I think he was lucky the ref was so close and that a player was kind of in his way.
If that chair wasn't stopped and went the full distance everyone would agree it's an ejection.
Stop acting like a twit and continue to play hard which is what you are good.
I thought he was unlucky on the previous play to get called for a charge but there was absolutley no foul on Ballinger to warrant his dummy spit.

Reply #396912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OH&S ruling that bean bags only, baseline area.

Those at the 'Gong, filled with angry echidnas in the hope to get those NBL.tv pricks (cameras) out of there.

You've bean warned.

Eat shit Dunkin' Dan. ; )

Reply #396924 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Just frustrated that he hit the chair I think. Probably deserved a suspended fine and maybe a public statement/apology as it sets a pretty average example for youngsters to see.

Definately not as bad as Warnie in the BBL last night!

Reply #396931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL just announced Madgen to face tribunal.

Reply #397086 | Report this post

not an NBL fan  
Years ago

Nothing in it!!!
No intent - no harm - no action required!!!
Move on!

Reply #397198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He stopped and put the chair back.

Whats the big deal?

Reply #397269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah he stopped and picked it up after it bounced off the referees leg!!!

Reply #397291 | Report this post

Bel  
Years ago

This definitely should have been a tech foul on the day and normally I would say left at that. However, as previously mentioned, when you look at the other suspensions, ejections and techs from this season it surely has to be right up there. If it goes by precedence, which it really should (not sure if it does), then this would have to warrant at the very least a fine. Throwing a chair that connects with a referee, regardless of intent, surely shouldn't be treated so lightly. Yes, you could argue that the chair shouldn't have been there and you would probably be right, but had the chair not been there he would have run into the signage, so would we have then said that there shouldn't be the corporate boxes that are on the floor? Although, I bet it would have been a bit harder for him to have thrown that a referee. Not a good example to kids (or even adult basketballers for that matter) who are watching. Whilst I don't think there was any malice in it and it was an act of frustration it should still be punished. Sorry for the essay!

Reply #397368 | Report this post

Ox  
Years ago

So if the chair wasn't there and he fell with the ball, does that give him right to throw that at the ref? Give him a week to have a look at himself, attitude like this that we do not need. Respect the refs

Reply #397370 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Come on Ox, you're smarter than that, mate... He fell on the chair, the chair got on top of him and he reacted badly and pushed it out of the way... There was clearly no intent to direct it at the ref or anyone else... It's not like a ref to NOT blow a whistle in that situation (the poster who suggested that they're scared to make big calls to upset people is rubbish, how shit have the been all season?!?) so surely the fact that the ref didn't feel the need to blow the whistle when it was directed at him should be taken into account? Either way, I still think that he should have got the tech on the day and that would normally be it... Maybe a fine after the review, but if he's suspended, especially after someone who took a swing at another player WASN'T, it will be ridonkulous...

Making up hypothetical stuff is just an overreaction...

Reply #397373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those who say Madgen had no intent to direct the chair go and have another look at the reply, specifically the 3rd replay from low down on the floor that is the close-up shot. Madgen is looking directly at the referee and then pushes the chair directly at him!!

Why didnt the ref do anything? In my opinion he shit himself at what occurred and froze. Simple as that.

Reply #397375 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Bollocks... Have you ever seen a ref get any sort of threat against him and be afraid to blow the whistle, or have any of the other two step in?

Reply #397399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The other 2 were further away and none of them could believe what they saw. Sorry it doesnt fit your theory.

Reply #397406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wookiee, dear god go and watch the tape!!! Open your other eye FFS, the chair didnt fall on him, he slid into it, he then reached to the side, grabbed the chair, looked directly at Townsend, pulled the chair from behind him, and shoved it in the opposite direction to where it came from directly at him!!!!

Reply #397410 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Anon #1: So my theory that since a ref didn't blow their whistle they didn't think it was whistle worthy (although I disagree) is unbelievable, but someone making things up what they were feeling that they were all scared little bunny rabbits that were too SCARED to blow a foul IS believable?! Keep smoking whatever you're smoking...

Anon #2: Dude, I've seen the tape, all the angles... If Madgen intended to throw it directly at the ref, I'm pretty sure it would have hit him pretty square. He crashed into the chair, it slid onto him, he pushed it away over aggressively, he was looking straight ahead, at no point once he threw the chair, did he ever direct his attention to the ref. You'd think that if he had a beef with the ref, he'd at least look at him?

Any big conspiracy is otherwise just ridiculous...

Reply #397416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HE DIDNT PUSH THE CHAIR AWAY Wookiee!!!! he PULLED it OVER his right shoulder and chucked it at the REF while looking DIRECTLY at him. If he wanted to PUSH the chair away it would have gone in the other direction, even a camera tech tried to hold the chair off him but he yanked it out of his control.

OPEN YOUR EYES FFS.

Reply #397417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure what youer looking at anon, wookie is closer to the truth than you are.

Reply #397421 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Finally an Anon that's making sense...

Idiot Anon: He had someone behind him, as you said, he was crashed up against the chair and the corporate box on his right so that leaves to his left which is the court, or where he chucked it, in front of him, where the support and to an angle, the ref were... Debate this and capitalise whatever you like, you're not going to make any more sense than what you're not making now...

Reply #397428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He looks directly at Townsend. He looks between balls and the basket directly at the ref and wow where does the chair end up, exactly where he is looking. Why doesn't the chair hit him flush? It's not a ball, it bounced to the right as it landed next to the ref. if your going to throw mud at least make it believable

Reply #397460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Quiet whisper is possibly week/s and a hefty fine.

Reply #397462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wookiee

The penalty for Madgen is greater than those for the other 3 players ejected this season and greater than the only other player reported Seth Scott.

Yeah nothing in it!!

Lucky to get away with a $1000 fine and a 1 game suspended sentence.

Reply #397710 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:51 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754