@HD_Paul
Years ago

NBL TV - The Fix

Hey gang,

I have not posted on here much but I read a lot of opinions and comments here regarding the NBL.

I wanted to run this article past you that I wrote recently on the NBL.tv product.

http://hoopdiary.com/nbl-tv-the-fix/

Note: Our site doesn't have any revenue-raising ads so this is not a view/like grab!

I've received quite a lot of feedback already but thought I would throw it open to a new audience to see what you thought.

Let me know if you have anything to add.

Cheers,

Paul @ Hoop Diary.

Topic #30486 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is that the live feeds are all blurry, yet when I watch the replay, the picture quality is almost perfect?

Reply #397988 | Report this post

@HD_Paul  
Years ago

It might be a bandwidth issue trying to drag down the live feed? Although sometimes the games played in Townsville and Wollongong take quite a while to "settle" when I switch to them too and my bandwidth is quite fast for ADSL2+.

(17Mb down)

Reply #397989 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Welcome Paul, is there a SEABL equal to NBL.tv?

Reply #397996 | Report this post

Gruff  
Years ago

Totally agree with the story. Well written, Thanks.

Reply #398002 | Report this post

@HD_Paul  
Years ago

Cheers guys. :)

Bear - the only equivalent I'm currently aware of is YouTube. (not trying to be smart)

I'm doing some SEABL commentary again this year so will try and find out for you. I know that a much improved product has been developed but unsure of the details at this time.

Gruff - Thanks heaps, I appreciate that. I was trying not to be negative so much as informative... I think plenty of people out there are taking care of the negative feedback. I didn't want to strictly add to that.

Cheers guys.

Reply #398003 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Thanks mate, I like the product too, looking forward to seeing how it improves over time.

For basketball down under to take off I would like to see NBL.tv summer season and SEABL.tv in the winter...

That way we will do something Ch10 and the paper media won't, promote the game!

Cheers :)

Reply #398008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The reason that the replayed games are clear etc is that they are streamed after the games have been played. There is a full copy of the games on a server somewhere and it just continulally streams. The vagaries of a live feed will always bee "slow". That depends on where the original feed is coming from, their provider to upload, the pipe out from their to the NBL Tv people, etc etc etc. The customers ISP, etc etc etc.
A recorded video, relpay is already there and the buffering is far easier for everyone once recorded.

Reply #398029 | Report this post

Ando  
Years ago

I could be wrong but when I pause the live feed for 3 seconds plus and then click on play, the whole game is much clearer. If I go for live download feed (ie no 3 second delay) the picture is quite blurry.

Reply #398042 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Hi Paul.

I disagree with one thing and that is your tolerance of the teething problems.

Perform are a major player in this market in Europe and the UK. They are very good at this stuff. It looks like they have implemented a cut price version of the solution here.

Some of the Rivus stuff was crap but Rivus were not providing the end-to-end solution at the time. teams were doing production, teams providing connections and Rivus really just providing a decoder and streaming facility based on whatever was given to them.

Perform are doing the end to end. To hear of the the many problems many people have encountered is really not good enough.

Reply #398043 | Report this post

Blu  
Years ago

Keep it up, are you that Paul guy off ozhoops? You know ya stuff! I started reading hoop diary frequently when anzballaz died.

Hope to continue reading

Reply #398045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I actually find the live games are perfect but replays are choppy, and a few friends who have it think it's the same.

Reply #398050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul good comment about the camera angles. Interestingly FIBA has setup guidelines for TV coverage that for some reason NBL.TV directors seem to be unaware of. It might be instructive if they we to go and read them!

Reply #398054 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

Anyone else find that the last 5-10 mins of games are missing when you watch them the same night as they are played?

The last couple of Sixers games I watched finished with 5mins to go!!!!!
Pretty annoying, expecially since they had 30mins of "this game will start soon" at the front of the video.

Reply #398081 | Report this post

Flash  
Years ago

Aussiebballer I've had the same problem.

Most Adelaide games I end up missing the whole last quarter.

Does anyone know how to fix this???

Reply #398082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't believe the number of people making excuses for NBL.TV because it's new or better than nothing or the first of its kind in this country. It's a commercial service, not a charity. People have paid money for a product that is too often sub-standard. Lousy quality streaming, crazy camera angles and whole chunks of games missing are just not good enough.

Reply #398099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ive enjoyed it thoroughly, best thing the NBL has done in a long time.

Reply #398102 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Same. Went from watching live stats only to watching any and all games live on my iPad for chicken feed.

Reply #398104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I will NEVER join NBL Tv ever.

Reply #398134 | Report this post

@HD_Paul  
Years ago

Hey gang,

I'll reply in order of posts. :)

Anonymous 1 - Great description regarding server activity. You're right, there are a lot of hops.

Ando - Delaying probably does help and it's delayed by a minute or so anyway so no biggie.

HO - Yeah, that's been a common reaction from others too. I just wanted to write something in a way that it might actually be heard or be taken "somewhere" within the hierarchy. I hear your point though absolutely.

Blu - Thanks mate, I really appreciate it. I haven't been on ozhoops in a lonnnnng time, so probably not me you've seen. We're starting a podcast soon so stay tuned, hopefully it's entertaining.

Anonymous 2 - Good stuff.

Anonymous 3 - That's really interesting regarding a FIBA standard. I need to know more about this. Thanks. :)

Aussiebballer - Yep, I've heard this from a couple of people on Twitter but have also seen prompt responses from @nbl_tv stating that it was rectified. I haven't had the problem personally... (but then again, I don't watch many 36ers replays, only live)

As for the remainder... some great feedback and some disappointing feedback regarding the product. I agree that it's a commercial service and should be better though. I just hope the time spent on providing feedback enhances everyone's experience with it.

Except for Issac, who won't be tuning in. Which is cool. ;)

Reply #398207 | Report this post

@HD_Paul  
Years ago

Hey gang,

I'll reply in order of posts. :)

Anonymous 1 - Great description regarding server activity. You're right, there are a lot of hops.

Ando - Delaying probably does help and it's delayed by a minute or so anyway so no biggie.

HO - Yeah, that's been a common reaction from others too. I just wanted to write something in a way that it might actually be heard or be taken "somewhere" within the hierarchy. I hear your point though absolutely.

Blu - Thanks mate, I really appreciate it. I haven't been on ozhoops in a lonnnnng time, so probably not me you've seen. We're starting a podcast soon so stay tuned, hopefully it's entertaining.

Anonymous 2 - Good stuff.

Anonymous 3 - That's really interesting regarding a FIBA standard. I need to know more about this. Thanks. :)

Aussiebballer - Yep, I've heard this from a couple of people on Twitter but have also seen prompt responses from @nbl_tv stating that it was rectified. I haven't had the problem personally... (but then again, I don't watch many 36ers replays, only live)

As for the remainder... some great feedback and some disappointing feedback regarding the product. I agree that it's a commercial service and should be better though. I just hope the time spent on providing feedback enhances everyone's experience with it.

Except for Issac, who won't be tuning in. Which is cool. ;)

Reply #398209 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Teething problems were to be expected in a new location with poor internet compared to many parts of Europe and where TV feeds werent available for all games.

The service has been an absolute bargain for $59 and long may it continue. Having your own product to sell to TV stations is the way the NBL needs to go and this is a promising first step.

Reply #398214 | Report this post

Have been disappointed with the product so far this Season. There are times the quality is so poor you can't see the ball or read the scores. Now before someone suggests my end is the problem, we also have NBA league pass and while that gets a little jittery at times, a manual drop in bandwith fixes that and the quality is still superior.

Friday night I watched the Cairns vs NZ match, for once the majority was acceptable nearly the whole game, there was small section with 3 minutes to go quality dropped of severaly but recoved after a minute or so. The annoying thing was there was no scores or clock for nearly the whole game. It flashed up a fews times, but not enough to keep across what was happening. Having 2 screens I opened another Internet session and had live states in that.

Today I watched the Perth vs Melbourne game, had scores/clock the whole match, but the quality was poor, on the rare occasion it the reach good, like friday but mostly poor to bad. I know what I would prefer of the 2 options.

This leads me to believe either the scores has somethig to do with the quality, but can't see why. Or the quality has more to do with how many people are watching or feed from the stadium. Both of which is in control of the operators and needs to be addressed.

Reply #398603 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:17 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754