Time for change
Years ago

East Coast Challenge Results

Are the results of SA Teams further proof the development model in SA just isn't working?

While we continue with out dated programs, in fighting and club politics other states grow and improve.

Lucky for us ACT sent teams.

Topic #30496 | Report this topic

Years ago

day 2 against vics looks a bit down - but some other results ok.

were they full strength state teams ?

Reply #398284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA only put in one team where Nsw and Vic were diluted by two teams each. In under 18 girls SA came fifth.. (ACT came sixth but didn't show..)

Reply #398290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well the 16 girls came second and the 18 girls 3rd, not so humiliating really. Vic won all the finals

Reply #398291 | Report this post

Years ago

18g 3rd or 5th ? two above posts contradict

Reply #398297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They definitely came third

Reply #398298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I had a chance to watch the ECC while back in sydney for the holidays and was impressed with victorians professionlism for their juniors. They were very organised videoing each game which i can only assume to show the players as part as their development and preparations for the games. They vics juniors played every game with ENERGY, PASSION & INTENSITY which is a reflection of the vics coaching staffs committment to their development and what the nsw players lacked.

As a basketball fan who played in my juniors in sydney, I felt embarassed seeing the bnsw officials and coaches sitting around in there groups as if they was King Shit! I have since found out who are bnsw coaches & officials. Some of the names involved are a DISGRACE to still have anything to do with basketball particularly juniors who the future of basketball in nsw. Sadly, i was also told the bnsw coaches are the state coaches.

WHAT A DISGRACE!

Reply #398329 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Where can you see the results?

Reply #398337 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

go to basketball nsw website

Reply #398340 | Report this post

Years ago

Bnsw site and menu under coaches have ecc

Reply #398346 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

anon 329 sounds somewhat having a personal axe to grind

obviously even sitting in groups is now considered by someone to be a disgrace

what's your personal beef?

daughters/sons non-selection?

Reply #398351 | Report this post

GoVics  
Years ago

It's really not that hard ...

Everyone just has to be in it for the good of the team, not their own personal interests.

That goes for players, coaches, parents and administrators.

If you are prepared to accept the down times (i.e. I didn't make the team) and work hard to improve, the rewards will come.

Go Vics.

Reply #398387 | Report this post

VP  
Years ago

Are there any teams lists anywhere - want to see the who the Vic's have playing in each of there teams.

Reply #398396 | Report this post

footydad  
Years ago

well to my knowledge of sasi training ,this is a 3 year plan you idiots ? Sound familiar ?you sell enough shit, and even after a long long time ,you convince everyone around you. ,They are now saying this is the european way?Train the shooters .good plan Neil .

Reply #398406 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

you can train the ass off these kids ,but in the end,when there's that 50 50 ball with 8 seconds to go,and they've spent the week away ,and year with sasi coaches ??theyre not gunna do it for big Neil .Sorry ,get somebody who enjoys the job and likes kids.harsh,but true,ask any kid what they truely think of gliddon.haven't heard one positive yet,So why is he still coaching ,Paul got the ass,or is it more Aussie orientated .what a crock.sell more shit?get a job.agree footydad

Reply #398409 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

vp every other state including act,posted the team selection .not basketball sa,though.I wonder why?

Reply #398415 | Report this post

obos  
Years ago

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that anon and footydad are the same person. Really buddy, is that the best you could do?

Reply #398417 | Report this post

VP  
Years ago

If you know a link to the Vic Metro team lists please let me know.

Reply #398420 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

obos, same IP, yes.

Reply #398423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously can we have a forum we have to register and log into sheeesh

Reply #398441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I saw most boys games. NSW and Vic 16s were stand out teams and Vic lucky to win GF.

18 Boys more even.ACT did well but ran out of energy in final game. Vic teams were good and strong - could have had 4 teams

Vic 1 ended up winning(website says 2 team won but think the team that drew with NSW2 and lost to ACT won and that is 1 team) Good team and good game, lots of intesity and teamwork. Cant see anyone beating Vic at nationals esp 18s - heard over half the players are first year 18s

SA didnt do too bad They competed hard and won some tough games so dont think Neil and his group are doing a bad job! The depth in Vic is hard to compete with.

Reply #398477 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Did the u18 boy Vic's take everyone ?

Reply #398611 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

bit of big brother there Isaccc.abusing your position?what satisfaction did this bring ,a little bit of power.punse.Dont you use wifi? git.Take a look at yourself and get out in the sun a bit more.weasel.

Reply #398790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

fuck off to whence you came footydad

wifi my ass..you made both posts..language used was identical

take a look at yourself.. and don't visit the site again if you can't take the mods discovery of your bullshit

Reply #398795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You do have an unfortunate way of using punctuation that is quite unique.lol.,

Reply #398800 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

'441, you can, you just don't currently have to. If more people bothered, I'd be inclined to change it.

Reply #398817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So more interested in hits than quality Isaac?

Reply #398824 | Report this post

Itsapurpleworld  
Years ago

824, hits provide the incentive to host the site and anons provide the colour to paint the topics. If you want a generic 'hail fellow well met' site where opinion is censored by the removal of anon protection , start one. Like the good news channel your future is limited. This site allows venting with constraints. It also has some value in highlighting issues that would otherwise never get seen in the light of day. Anons ip addresses keep them chiefly on the straight and narrow so be less judgmental about anons, Anon.

Reply #398833 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, not really driven by hits. Just want to permit ease of access for those who post good content but might not otherwise contribute if registration were enforced.

When I come up with a way to cover both bases, I will switch to proper registered accounts only.

Reply #398835 | Report this post

blue bagger  
Years ago

Isaac, don't justify yourself to idiots like footydad.

It's people like him that don't know their arsehole from their elbow, and are trying to live their failings through their kids.

and probablly their futile attempts and influencing coaches and officials for their kids is failing them and their kids as well.

one last piece of advice for footy dad, pull your head out of your rectum and stick to riding the boundry line at football, basketball is bigger than you.

Reply #398903 | Report this post

footydad  
Years ago

Thesaurus ,Noun 1. bagger - a workman employed to pack things into containers-

thsnks for that advice .

Reply #398997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thesaurus, Noun 1.footydad- a tosser unable to see past his own child's sub-par sporting ability

thsnks (sic) for visiting

don't bother coming back

Reply #399030 | Report this post

Why such venom to a person who is critical of a program. If the program is strong it will stand on its own. Play the comments not the man. Seems the only programs open to disdain are lightning and 36 ers for very different reasons. The sixers because fans really care and hate to see the decline over the past 5 seasons and the Lightning because there is no interest at all.
It may well be parents kicking the junior program such as it is but it might also be true to say its chief defenders are closely linked to the program. Parents do live through their kids and have biased views but within that bias often is a little too much truth and perhaps change in direction after twenty odd years is warranted.

Reply #399110 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Hey guys biased views just doesn't relate to parents. Remember it's the parents who finance these programs generally.
Coaches and selectors have their bias as well. It seems that tried and tested in squad selection seems to be the way. Just look at nsw u18w and u16w. some disappointing selections there based on the bias of a coach? I wonder? I guess it's easier to go with what you know than try something new. maybe bnsw should start to question why so many kids start dropping out at 16s for state selection.

Reply #399123 | Report this post

Charon  
Years ago

Actually the bias of coaches is only percieved. I have never met a coach who doesnt want to win and would choose a lesser player. Its just that selection is subjective and what 1 person believes is the best 10 deoesnt necessarily mean another person would think the same.

Realistically, if 2 different coaches were chossing from the same squad, differents teams might be selected. Neither is right or wrong, just different.

Unfortunately, parents are incapable of understanding this!

Reply #399132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon
18 b Vic1 lost to ACT and drew with NSW2.Vic2 lost to NSW2. Losses were on first day and the teams did not play the way they did the next two days. Vic1 beat Vic2 both in round and final.That was a strong team with smart guards, good shooters and big centre

Reply #399164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The coaches do not select the team in S A

Reply #399167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also, of course coaches are biased, we all have favourites and we all promote our own. Sturt and Norwood exist to perpetuate this truism.

Reply #399169 | Report this post

Charon  
Years ago

Its not necessarily about promoting your own. Its more that your own are better at what you are doing because they see it more often and have a background in the things that are being asked. And therefore are able to perform better and gain selection. And again that is subjective. Change of coach would lead to a change of team balance and structure.

Reply #399170 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Charon are you serious???? that is promoting your own and really it's much easier if you don't have to teach the unknown so go with what you've got- your own and look good. anyone can look good if they've had the opportunity to practise it's called mastery learning. you may not have the brain for the game but if you've rehearsed over the test is can it be applied in games?
let's be honest if a parent is paying for one on one training as some notable coaches do then there will be bias no one wants to lose business. does this overflow to team selection i'm not sure it's subjective right.

Reply #399218 | Report this post

hogwash61  
Years ago

No doubt the Vic programs are run well, however if you know anything about statistics then the bigger the population the bigger the talent pool. Hence NSW & Vic should be dominant.

Unfortunately for SA, TAS, WA etc they just don't have enough kids playing basketball. It really is that simple.

The real strength to the Vics is their grass roots basketball competitions which feed their strong rep programs - i.e. their VJBL Friday night competition.

Reply #399691 | Report this post

Dr J  
Years ago

Agree hogwash61. I have VJBL envy too. And I wish we had stadiums like theirs.

Reply #400306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hogwash so how many countries have bigger populations than Australia yet finish well below us at Olympic Games in medal tallies?

How is Australia best in the world at anything if stats are the answer?

Stats aren't that simple.

West Adelaide won State Champs Boys a few years ago and was 7th out of 10 clubs for playing numbers. How do stats answer that?

South Australia has won many junior basketball titles over the year, although not many during NG's reign. How did those teams ever win if stats and large participation numbers hold the answer?

That's a cop out and not at all constructive. The District competition and the NITP program in Adelaide are both counterproductive to success at an elite level. Pure and simple.

Reply #400314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are many kids originally from SA playing in Vic. Try to get them back and you would have a great state team!

Reply #401322 | Report this post

Spiro  
Years ago

I think the Under 18s Mens NSW 2 team was extremely unlucky not to qualify for the final. They drew with VIC 1 and smashed VIC 2. Unlucky to lose to NSW 1 by 2 points and definitely were more cohesive than most of the other teams I watched. Even though the VIC teams had height in their centres, they were nowhere near as effective as I would have expected. NSW 2 centres were superior. Considering the team that NSW has picked for the upcoming Nationals in April, I predict a NSW win.

Reply #401718 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:51 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754