Very Old
Years ago

Jess Bibby gives a spray to BA re WNBL

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/basketball/bibby-claims-theres-little-respect-for-wnbl-20130111-2clsl.html

Hm, it certainly does not put BA in a good light, the virgin lounge thing is going to bite a bit once the ( if) the general media picks it up.

Shutting down the live caps stream , after the positive feedback recieved for the other video work that was done at various junir chaps held in canberra last year, simply makes no sense to me.

Topic #30505 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Makes some very good points though, ironically the WNBL is in a much healthier state than the NBL too.
Our Female Basketballers are far more successful on the world stage than our Male Ballers too, the WNBL deserves to be treated equally.

Reply #398416 | Report this post

Dillon  
Years ago

Whilst wnbl is good for women's, is a development league. Brings in no money etc.

Reply #398419 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

"Brings in no money"
I guess the NBL is a cash cow?

Reply #398422 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The WNBL is a poor cousin to the NBL. Unfortunately, it is women's sport in general that gets bad media coverage so that is a societal issue that must be overcome.

The are some sports that are better to watch in Women's over Men's. I think Volleyball is one such sport. Women's has longer volleys whereas the Men's is dig and spike.

Women's sport also suffers from bad perceptions as well. It's OK for women to watch men play sport, whereas men watching women suffer from being painted as perverts. The AFL crowd is pretty much 50:50, but a netball crowd is pretty much 85% females.

Reply #398424 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Women's basketball is not as good to watch as men's, that is why less people go to watch it, that is why it gets media coverage and that is why the WNBL doesnt get the same amount of backing as the NBL.

It's not sexist, its a fact. May aswell complain that hand tennis doesnt get as many news stories on TV as AFL.

Reply #398429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Alexkrad

BA is funded by public money and has to treat NBL and WNBL equally.

Reply #398435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shame :

Basketball Australia's 2010-11 annual report reveals $3.447 million, or 31.4 per cent of total expenditure, was on the NBL. By comparison $787,000 or 7.2 per cent was on the WNBL.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/basketball/bibbys-swipe-at-inequality-wins-support-20130112-2cn3e.html#ixzz2Hla6AazO

Reply #398437 | Report this post

Guns  
Years ago

If Jess and the Capitals actually focused on playing better it might give me reason to watch. Being 30 points down half way through games is going to lead to me turning the channel over.

Maybe pass the ball more Jess and you might get a win?

Reply #398463 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Anon 437, how much of BA's revenue was generated by the NBL and WNBL respectively?

Reply #398466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A case of a player with no idea of the commercial realities of the sport talking when they shouldn't.

1. I daresay the tv deal with abc has given them the full rights to broadcast the games. By streaming them, they would be in breach of that agreement.
2. Virgin lounge? Seriously? That's what she has to complaint about?
I can tell you this for a fact, the Nbl clubs each have to pay for their own players access to the Nbl lounge. It's a reduced rate, but they have to pay none the less.

Reply #398467 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Let's go a bit further:

- The NBL is sponsored by Virgin, the WNBL is not
- The NBL has a naming rights sponsor, the WNBL does not
- The NBL has a commercial TV deal, the WNBL does not
- The NBL had over 50,000 people at their playoffs each paying a surcharge to BA, the WNBL had a fraction of that amount

Are people seriously expecting BA to spend revenue generated by the NBL on the WNBL?

Reply #398468 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Jack, this isn't a societal issue. Painting it as such is being overly politically correct and treading on "sexism" eggshells.

A societal issue would be a hypothetical league full of "black" players being neglected for a "whites only" league of the same sex (ie. equal product gaining inequal coverage).

Alexkrad, while blunt, is on the money. Men's basketball will always be more popular for the on-court product.

If it were a societal issue, you wouldn't see sports like volleyball, tennis, athletics, swimming etc where women have a large media platform and viewership.

Reply #398470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cry me a river again.....
First the business class seats in the Olympics, now this.

Seems like there is always something to complain about.

When the worlds best player at the time (LJ) was not even making 6 digits from the worlds best league (wnba) this should pretty much sum things up.

The NBL as bad as it is, would bring in much more than the WNBL ever could dream of.

Once they start averaging NBL numbers as far as crowds go, and bring in the same revenue from ticket sales and marketing, then we can entertain the idea of things being equal, until then, shutup and stop sooking.

Reply #398473 | Report this post

CR  
Years ago

WNBL is funded by the participating clubs - they all pay BA to play in the competition.

The biggest issue for the WNBL is the lack of strategy from BA for the competition (in my view) - they have just let it meander along for the last decade or more. This has resulted in a mish mash of ownership structures and it is not level playing field.

Melbourne is the biggest problem - the two WNBL teams are embedded in local associations so very few people outside those associations are interested - the tribal elements of junior basketball kick in.

Interesting that probably the most successful women's sport in netball (and yes I know it is primarily a female sport) has a highly hands on peak body that actively manages the structure of their elite competition.

Reply #398474 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Both the NBL and WNBL have the same issue in that they dont have someone actually running them. There is just one CEO who looks after all of BA and then staff looking after certain areas of the competitions.

From the NBL point of view they desperately need an independent commission to make decisions on the best interests of the league, not allowing good ideas to be vetoed because one or two clubs dont like them.

There was a classic example of this recently where the lack of leadership has potentially cost the NBL a very exciting player and excellent marketing tool.

Reply #398475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CR - just for the record, the NBL is also funded by the NBL clubs - they pay a very substantial annual fee to be in the NBL.

Reply #398476 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Jess may well be in a bit of a glasshouse, in that BA has already contributed significantly to LJ's current contract with the capitals. Moneys that are neither avaiable nor given to other WNBL clubs.

Doubt that she put these views through Graf either, given Graf's BA salary.

Reply #398478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With amount these girls fly they would, if they have velocity membership, would have enough status points that would give them gold memebership that allows them free entry. Umpires are allowed into the lounge.

Reply #398487 | Report this post

CR  
Years ago

Anon ... re NBL clubs paying as well ... yes, understood.

At least for many years the NBL had an active board dedicated to (trying) to look after it's interests and attract corporate sponsorship ... although that had it's moments.

A couple of WNBL teams are still playing out of the basketball equivalent of a shoebox ... how do you attract more interest from sponsors and fans to grow the sport with that ?

Will be interesting to see if recent key appointments at BA are able to be more proactive in progressing both the NBL and WNBL to new levels of professionalism and fan interest.

Reply #398492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Male dominated crowd here obviously cant understand. This is not a discussion of what is more popular. BA is there to support BASKETBALL. Not to reward more popular/commercially successful (some claim NBL is !) competition. For those old enough to understand, it is essential social engineering to support womens sport and keep women interested/participated in sports because they will be the main force behind the new generation of athletes. It is mainly the mothers' will and support that gets young players (male or female) through the hardships during their junior years. Basketballers dont grow in pots.

Reply #398494 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Anon, it is you who doesnt understand.

BA arent pulling out a magic pile of dollars and deciding to spend more on the men, the NBL generates a massive amount more revenue for BA than the WNBL deos and therefore has more money spent on it.

Reply #398495 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Some absolute rubbish here.

Dillon - the WNBL is not a development league. Ridiculous statement.

AlexKrad - preface your comments as IMO or something - otherwise you are probably being sexist, plenty of people think women's basketball is better than mens, same as some people prefer College and Euroball to NBA - you can't just make a blanket statement saying womens basketball is not as good. There is a strong argument in this country that the media is so biased towards mens sport that women's sport in this country has very little chance of ever getting the coverage it needs to be commercially successful.

#398435 - nonsense, your statement has no foundation. BA can spend what they like on the NBL and WNBL as those programs are not benefeciaries of that government funding. And, as others have said, the NBL does generate more revenue. Most of that expenditure is in/out btw. If you want to make an intelligent argument about government funding then make the argument that BA's ASC funding is largely derived by the excellent international showing from our women's program, as opposed to our men. Its pretty well accepted that BA has retained the high performance funding that it has on the basis of the overall strength of the women's program over the last ten or so years.

#398467 - I think you'll find that the mens enterprise agreement provides for lounge access. The women need to get unionised I reckon!

#398476 - I am guessing (not thinking) that a significant part of that fee is equalisation, not operations. For most of its life the NBL has totally funded its operating expenses. The WNBL definitely funds BA for operating costs.

Very Old - has that ever been proven? I am asking because I genuinely don't know.

Reply #398496 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yes HO, public knowledge:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/basketball/rivals-back-jackson-payment-20121025-288r7.html

Reply #398497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BA need to ensure there is a level playing field in terms of support of the sport for both genders.
51% of the population is female, so its not like there are numerical reasons for one to get more support than the other.
It should not be not BA's charter to look at the commercial competitveness/attractiveness of the NBL v WNBL.
Nobody, including the WNBL participants are going to argue the NBL attracts more spectator support due to the more athletic and agressive nature of Men's sport but there are many areas where the WNBL is "dissadvantaged" in comparrison to the NBL.

Reply #398498 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

How do you know there isnt equal support for both genders?

Reply #398499 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Hmmm, 1 million bucks and not even going to hit the court in the first year ...

Not suggesting anything untoward ... but that's a lot of money down the WNBL gurgler for no return other than a bit of PR.

Reply #398500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1 million to LJ is supporting LJ and Canberra. Not womens basketball...ask other clubs what they think !

Reply #398501 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Thanks Paul - but nothing happening on that link..

Reply #398502 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Oh, it's working for me? Odd.

Reply #398505 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Basketball Australia boss Kristina Keneally insists Canberra's WNBL rivals have no issue with it paying part of Lauren Jackson's lucrative deal to play with the Capitals.

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/sport/basketball/rivals-back-jackson-payment-20121025-288r7.html#ixzz2Hp0io7s9"

Reply #398507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keneally insisted many things when she was NSW premier too.... before the tar and feather farewell

Reply #398513 | Report this post

Time for change  
Years ago

I guarantee you the Lightning aren't supportive as they spoke to Lauren's agent about her playing in Adelaide but did not have access to BA funding like Canberra do.

Reply #398615 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

The sad thing is that one brand can help the other as the SEABL model does.

With some combined funding and promotion the sport will see substantial benefits.

Take the heat out of Bibby's remarks and she seems to be seeking parity. You may not get that but drawing it closer would help.

These amateur architects trying to build from the penthouse without a foundation is exactly why this great sport in collapsing!

Reply #398632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is parity. What comes in from each league goes out to that league. BA doesnt spend taxpayers money on the NBL.

Reply #398633 | Report this post

lol  
Years ago

Actually,

BA uses people who are paid for by junior player afiliation levy to work these positions and therefore it should be more even.

Reply #398671 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think NBL revenue would pay for their staff hours.

Reply #398672 | Report this post

finals688  
Years ago

It is good that these issues are raised and am hopeful that the WNBL can gain a more equitable standing from BA. It is the second best league in the world but who would know. Women's basketball can't even get scores in daily media let alone an article . No wonder attendances are down as the public don't know games are on.

Reply #398688 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

lol. I think enough people have pointed out that the revenue the NBL generates is proportionate to the revenue they spend.

There are lots of sources of revenue for Basketball Australia. To put your comments in perspective, BA get less than 1 million per year from "junior levy's", and of that, a significant proportion is not juniors.

From what I understand, not a cent of that money goes to staff work or working on NBL/WNBL. I believe both of these are fully funded through those leagues revenue streams.

And, even if it was the case that some of those "levy's" were being used to pay these staff, then that is still not an argument that sustains the two leagues receiving equal resources and attention.

Reply #398702 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

So youre saying the "levy's" are dry?

Reply #398706 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

They were when I took my chevy there.

Reply #398710 | Report this post

Gerard  
Years ago

Before I make comment here I will point out I love women basketball and I watch ever avaliable womens game on TV be it WNBL WNBA or Womens NCAA Basketball
I also go to as many SEABL and Big V womens games as I can so a big fan and yes I am male and have coached womens basketball

But Jess you are so far off track crying about what you are not getting you should be crying about your teams and coaches performance. Canberra should be the show case to womens basketball but your coach and your players are a joke. You should be paying to play the way your performaces have been this year.

Instead of whining show some spirit get your heads out of your bums and stop crying yes Jackson is out injured but 1 player does not make a team.

If Graf cant win with her hand picked team with Jackson out injured then should she be National Coach

Reply #402215 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:48 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754