Isaac
Years ago

36ers v Kings, Jan 13

The pre-game thread hit 60+ comments pretty early, so I'm starting this one fresh for the game and post-game itself.

Good luck 36ers.

Topic #30507 | Report this topic

Kobe24  
Years ago

Good luck indeed will need it! Coaching simply not up to standard, Clarke and Radford should be emabarrased and ownership ashamed that its got to a 22 and 50 record. That said ill be there like i always am, cheering and being passionate, and most probably watching the 6ers lose in some new and odd way.

Good luck indeed 36ers!

Reply #398479 | Report this post

E=mc2  
Years ago

I for one think they are going to get across the line today. Nothing concrete, just a good feeling.

Reply #398480 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Dont worry Isaac, if form continues there'll be no shortage of post game threads!

Reply #398481 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

really really want to have Heal beaten, .......and for the kings to lose !

Reply #398482 | Report this post

Anthony  
Years ago

Its time for all to get behind the team and SOS as supporters of the club we owe it to the team, sponsors plus SOS group!

Go sixers

Reply #398484 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Kings @2.20 on sportsbet If anyone is feeling confident in them

Reply #398485 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

All Sixers supporters need to rally and get to the game to support the team. No excuses today. Sixers still have a very slight chance of making finals. It's about as slim as a man in a magpie suit making a backwards half court shot, but better than Lance Armstrong riding in this year's tour down under.

Reply #398486 | Report this post

McDunkalot  
Years ago

Is it possible for us to get a good lead then lose it in the last 2 minutes again. I hope not but that seems to be our style.

Reply #398503 | Report this post

baller  
Years ago

Schencher with a dunk attempt and a completed dunk to start the game. OMG whats happening!

Reply #398504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jesus Dj is lazy on offense... 7footer who can dibble and settle shot mod range jumpers too often.

Reply #398506 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Looks like a good crowd today, credit to Adelaide fans. Let's hope the 36ers can repay them.

Reply #398508 | Report this post

x  
Years ago

Dann is such a fucking hack.

Reply #398510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers up nine at the half ... but what the hell does that mean ??

Reply #398512 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Anon, it means if the Sixers lose, Isaac's site goes into meltdown !

Is it too early for a pre-emptive "sack Marty" thread?

Reply #398514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dont worry, we will still find a way to lose it.

Reply #398515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide up 15 at 3/4 time ..... Kings $1.15 favourites from here

Reply #398516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers running away with it now ...

Reply #398517 | Report this post

Bucketman  
Years ago

Anyone know the crowd number?

Reply #398518 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

Played with a lot of heart. Well done Sixers, a solid win even with Schencher in hospital coughing up blood

Reply #398519 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Crowd 4489.

Reply #398520 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

So - anyone up for a "resign Marty NOW" thread ?

Reply #398521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe we should resign him for another 3 years ;)

Reply #398523 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

you forgot to log in Marcus - you came up as ANON

Reply #398524 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

A very solid win to end a devastating slump. Credit to players and coaches. I hope big Luke recovers quickly from a very nasty landing.

Reply #398526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what was everyone complaining about?

Reply #398528 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Great win. In reality the Schenscher injury forced them to go small and mobile in the second half and their defence was excellent.

Hope Luke is ok, nasty fall.

Reply #398529 | Report this post

billups#1  
Years ago

We were only complaining about the 8 game losing streak we just had, nothing big really @ anon 528. But in having said that, it's bloody brilliant to finally get a win! , still doesn't change my mind about Clarke.

Reply #398531 | Report this post

Bucketman  
Years ago

Amazing how people say that "winning isn't everything". After 8 loses it certainly is!!

Reply #398532 | Report this post

x  
Years ago

Big win!

Can anyone think of a smaller lineup than Martin, Henry, Bruce, Madgen and Garlepp being played? Super small-ball by both sides.

Great games by Cadee and DJ, who wasnt exploited on D for the first time in a while.

Dann is a joke.

Reply #398534 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Our offensive structure looked a lot different, a lot more instincts and freedom todo what they wanted. Good to see we went out the window with that 15 second offence plays that never produced shots

Reply #398535 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Good win. Having a defensive guard like Gibson is so handy!

Despite the D, DJ can score - have to give him that.

Still want to see guards (besides Cadee maybe) take the three as soon as it's there. Sick of the 'wait, fake, missed opportunity, look for alternative' thing.

Seemed to have a lot of good transition buckets or at least opportunities.

Reply #398539 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Good to hear about Luke, it was some thud. Was really worried about the crowd as i did not see many cars when i came in near the external park area, but turned out solid. Though the defence was the main thing, they locked down on Ben and really had a good level of activity.

Reply #398540 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I thought the biggest difference was the defence creating those extra transition opportunities. The less often you have to run your half court sets generally the more effective they will be.

Great to see the team play with the energy a young team and a side without a star creator has to.

Reply #398541 | Report this post

Starks  
Years ago

Good win. Nasty fall for Big Luke. The way his head cracked the floor, I was surprised to see he was conscious. Weigh looked like he wanted the clutch shot today; great to see. Cadee's best game of the season. Peach played well. Madgen is tough. He just keeps elevating on his jumper & creates so much air space to get his shot off. Now all I want is for 1) us to sign him & 2) sign a new head coach to groom assistant coach Maher for the next couple of seasons. I wonder if Breheny would do it...?

Reply #398543 | Report this post

Crowd 4489.

Yeah but how many free tickets were given away to all those kids, musta been a few hundred at least lol.

Anyway what an awesome game by the boys especially considering losing Schenser early (who was looking good too)

Amazing what DJ can actually do if he puts that 3 point shoot away (ok 1 miss!) and actually takes it to the hole! draw a bucket of fouls and foul shots! needs to do that more often!

Cadee finally showed me today what everyone's been raving about. Great to see him take it to the rack a few times and not hesitate on the 3 point shot.

Great to see Christopherson knock down a jump shot and get more aggressive. Played with a lot more assurity, not ready to give up on him yet. Yes he ended up missing a few shots too but again pretty unlucky a couple didnt go down.

Still have concerns with the rotations but didnt effect this game! Dont understand how you can be on an 8 game losting streak and still go with the exact same starting 5 every game (admittedly our starts havent really been an issue though!).

Also again we saw Gibson take a rest from the final 3 minutes of 3rd and put back on 7 minutes to play. I really do not understand why you couldnt come out full strength or at least with gibbo on as he creates so much offense, and can hit the bail out when we have no movement. Surely start out strong and if the lead is held or maintained look to give him a couple minutes spell + inevitable time outs in the final 7 minutes!

Defense was huge today, seemed to get killed on the offensive boards though!

All in all its a win we all expected given the rosters at the start of the season! now the slumps broken lets get on roll!

Reply #398544 | Report this post

X  
Years ago

Yeah the D on Madgen was excellent all game. Even when he had that early scoring run, those were contested shots, you couldn't fault the D. Gibbo is a beast.

There is really no place for Crosswell in this rotation anymore. A 3rd PG behind Cadee in Gibbo is barely a necessity in the first place but if there is one I believe Daly has overtaken him. Crosswell seemed like a good idea because of his composure, ball security and ability to penetrate. He seems to have lost all three of those traits completely. 4 turnovers per 40 minutes isn't good enough.

Reply #398545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A Jan Warbout sighting!

Reply #398549 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Sydney actually beat Adelaide 45-33 on the boards, so to win by 18, and without Schenscher for most of the game, was great effort.

I'm still a fan of the 'Twin Towers' set up with Big Red and DJ, but it was good to see DJ go inside where he is a lot more dangerous. Having the room inside without Schenscher definitely helped DJ's game today. And of the 36ers 25 FT attempts, DJ had 16 of them (hitting 12 which equaled Sydney's total FT attempts). He tends to put up a lot of shots under the basket that he would never get close to hitting regardless, but he generally gets fouled doing so which sends him to the line, and today he made the Kings pay for it.

When does Ton Daly's one month contract end? He only scored 2 points and had 2 assists in 11:05, but other than that he didn't look bad out there.

Also good to see Christopherson hit a couple of shots today. All he needs are for a couple more of his shots to drop and his confidence will rise, so I wouldn't be giving up on the kid just yet. And his D isn't that bad either. The more he gets used to playing with the 36ers, the better he'll be IMO.

A much needed win for the team and for Marty Clarke, though I don't think it'll save his job at the end of the season (unless we go 11-0 from here and make the playoffs, which is possible, but doubtful). Also good to see Clarke not do a John Kosmina and attack Corin Henry when he thought he was playing for us and headed for our bench, bowling into Clarke in the process.

Lets hope that Big Red is ok. That dump to a very unforgiving floor looked sickening, and coughing up blood in the dressing room wasn't the best news.

Reply #398552 | Report this post

Old Timer  
Years ago

Good positive approach to thew game Kobe24...

Reply #398553 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Really enjoyed that a lot - great to see the crowd reaction during and after the game. Great win :)

Reply #398559 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It was Madgen who ran into Clarke on the bench.

On starting the fourth without key starters, most coaches seem to do this, opening the fourth with benchies.

Daly also had two steals in those 11 minutes.

Loco, agreed, crowd was really supportive of the team which was positive to see.

Reply #398561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was Madgen who ran into Clarke on the bench.

Clear evidence Madgen is still a 36ers boy at heart ;)

Reply #398564 | Report this post

Quickie  
Years ago

Great WIN to play 4 quarters of Basketball,havent seen that done for a long time,This gives Clarke a lifeline,need to beat NZ at home next Sunday.Ugly to see Schens going down but news reports have stated he is cleared of serious damage,next week is the test no doubt.

Reply #398569 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

What's the go with the colours of Christopherson's game singlet ? The yellow of the numbers is a completely different colour to the rest of the team ...

Could the sixers not afford a proper colour match ? Or have all the rest of the team singlets faded already from mum putting them through the wash too many times ?

LOL ...

Reply #398570 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

It's a game the Sixer's play with the fans Anon.

Every season they give a player a singlet that is slightly different to other players in the team. This year they have gone with a lighter singlet and you have correctly identified "straight arrow/rubber duck" as the random singlet holder for this season.

In previous seasons it was a slightly different font on names and numbers, colour of numbers and trimmings etc.;)

Reply #398582 | Report this post

Ando  
Years ago

Approx 500 kids from various coaching clinics and clubs got free tickets. It's a great idea if that's what it takes to get a bit of atmosphere in the stadium.

I wonder if their cheering spurred the team on to keep their effort up for the whole game? I suppose the usual gafaw and groans from the stands can be a bit demoralising.

Reply #398583 | Report this post

eli  
Years ago

luke just discharged from hospital. bit dazed but all good. might not play next week after xrays but ya never know.

but given what he did, he's actually a little luckier than most.

good team effort today and great to see the doubters have left christopherson alone this week. the kid has to just feel his way into the game.

but where are the 150 comments by one Marcus Camby? Do we need to contact the cops and put out a missing persons???

Reply #398587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good effort by the players, still wont save marty's skin. The team was helped by the kings woeful shooting. But yes, does feel good to get a win.

Reply #398592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Club kids and parents paid for their tickets. Group discount but paid for.

Reply #398593 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Hey Guys....I'm the one most happy here.

All along I've been saying we need a big turn out to come out in support of the team to life spirits.

Credit where credit is due, great game throughout the whole team. Intensity we've not seen for a while.

Shame about Luke, but the more mobile line up forced by the injury could give ADL a different look.

Hopefully this can give the NZB defence fits next game!

Reply #398597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dont hold your breathe marcus, would love to finally see the 36ers get a win over NZ. Just cant see it happening.

Reply #398599 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Excellent win, excellent game, excellent 4 quarters, excellent no "Sack Marty" comments, but don't you need to ask why its taken 8 consecutive losses to play a game like this?

Reply #398600 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, not sure, but I wonder if it's the uniform supplier being slack and the club being forced to take matters into their own hands just to get the singlet numbers done at all.

League should create uniform contracts with financial penalties for any failings.

Reply #398604 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@Anon'599..

Well I had pretty much written off the 6'ers playoff chances, then came (or went) :

a) Rhys Martin's ACL
b) Lance Hurdle's ACL
c) WOL's loss.
d) this win.
e) MEL's loss.

Pretty much all the Moon's aligned for the Sixers this weekend.

Maybe the players are getting the wiff of opportunity and the sense of urgency is taking the effort to another level.

WOL is going to struggle, even if they get CJ to step in next week.

No doubt NZB is a hard ask, but just like the 5-1 TSV are not the same as the 0 - 10 TSV, today's team is a different beast to the 0 - 8 Sixer team.

Anything is possible.

Reply #398605 | Report this post

bk  
Years ago

EC If you went to the post match inteviews you would know why

Reply #398606 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Isaac..

Apparently they were also having Visa delays for the Jersey Number Printing Man..

Reply #398607 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I noticed that "Kiosk 2" was closed today. I made inquiries and was told by one of the employees that it was closed due to low numbers....

Kiosk 1 was chock a block and there were a number of people who just jumped out of line.

I know things are tight with crowd numbers etc, but getting food and drink to spectators has always been bad at the Arena. There's always a lineup for hot chips and the flow of people through the kiosk has always been bad.

A hint though. The bar also sells non-alcoholic bevos so if you are after a water, just got there.

Reply #398613 | Report this post

36reasons.net  
Years ago

Was an interesting game. Schensch going down allowed DJ to go down low. Only took 2 shots from outside the key and got to they line 8 times. Shot 6/12, so basically 6/10 from inside and earned 12pts from the line. That's where he needs to spend most of his time.

Cadee was much more assertive. Some great moves to the basket. Glad to see he had the confidence to take open threes...shot needs work though.

Team can take a lot from that game.

Full review now up on the blog.

Reply #398614 | Report this post

X  
Years ago

Yeah not to be one of those "rabble rabble" guys who complains about the little things instead of talking about the actual game, but I agree with Jack Toft. The kiosk people (Two4Six is it?) have been more pathetic than usual this year, especially at the All-star game. At the end of the day they are hurting themselves. Pretty much every game I decide against buying anything because of either the lines or lack of a certain product and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Reply #398616 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Need to get on a roll now.

Adelaide now website indicating win may not save Clarke's job.

Reply #398625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Same Journo that said Clarke was gone if they went 0/2 last weekend.

He was wrong then and he's wrong again.

Just making up crap to get the column space.

Reply #398628 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

My bad, Isaac was correct, it was Madgen and not Henry who tried sitting on the 36ers bench. I think he and Clarke were discussing a possible move next year.....

DJ certainly relished being able to play mostly at centre today didn't he. Playing in the post for almost 3/4 of the game really showed where he is best suited (I think at times this year he's been given a bit too much outside freedom).

Reply #398629 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

bk, I did not go to the post match interview. Would you mind elaborating as I am interested in what was discussed.

Reply #398630 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

So Johnson goes into the centre position after Schenscher goes down (thank the heavens he was able to walk off the court), and plays arguably his best game this season.

Schenscher these past few weeks has raised his level in play yet the Sixers have lost.

I recall in mid Dec hearing more offense would go through Luke, and it appears to have been the case, which around the same time Johnson fell into a funk.

Observations from today's game suggest DJ is better closer to the basket (obviously), however this has been Schenscher's role in the past few weeks. Did the swinging between PF and the C positions mess with DJ's offensive mojo?

Weigh's play looked 'Cat' like at times today, perhaps visiting forum rooms. It was most enjoyable watching him spin on Madgen (?) and almost throw it down. Crossy was however most displeased when Weigh waved off the on ball screen and instead demanded the rock. A win makes everyone less grumpy.

Reply #398637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone calm down.

Record is still 6-11....

Reply #398656 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Schenscher Johnson and Weigh combining the best I'd seen .
Plenty of smiles after the final buzzer .
I want the names of all the people that booed those last games .

Reply #398658 | Report this post

ITK  
Years ago

It was a great game and what really stood out for me was the crowd, It was on a high all night and really got behind the team. That must have been a massive boost for the players, especially everyone on teir feet at the end.
Lets fill the stadium out against NZ, the crowd can be the difference between the win or loss.
I think all the young South and Davis Camp kids created a real buzz that drowned out the normal high's and lows in emotion that the crowd goes through.
Paul B did a great job on the mic getting the crowd going at the start with feet stomping

Reply #398669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

6-11 record people...6-11...let's put a few wins together first.

Reply #398694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weigh is playing for a contract next season, hence
he's stepped up his effort level a little!

Great to see a win, but let's keep a little perspective... Sydney were TERRIBLE! of course we should have won yesterday no question.

1 win does not make up for our shocking season. Had we lost yesterday we would have set a new club record for the worst season in sixers history. thankfully we won and only equalled our worst result - Marty's year last year

Reply #398695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

6-11, nothing has been achieved but a disastrous season. The players need to lock in like nothing else to make a run at the playoffs, let alone cause a massive upset. I'm happy with the win, but I'm more in happy with the coaching and 11 losses.

Reply #398696 | Report this post

bk  
Years ago

EC we were told the players watched the game tapes as a team with no coaches present and disscussed how they were going to defend sydney better than the last game. Each player said how they were going to improve the defence and the other players had permission to tell them if they were not doing what they said they were going to do. They also disscussed how they were going to make the offensive plays simpler which is probably why smith noticed the offense looked different.

Reply #398744 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

EC, I noticed that as well. Marty seemed to spend a lot more time on the plastic. I don't think I saw The Rat move around much at all. The guys seemed to execute the plays with a lot less stuffing around than usual and more aggressive moves to the basket. If they have simplified their plays, that's great news because the more steps in a play and the more precise those steps need to be and the more precise that timing needs to be the more things can go wrong. If each move in a play has ten variables, and each play has three steps to execute the plan, then there are 1,000 outcomes (10^3). However, if a play only has four variables and the same three steps, then the number of possible outcomes for that play is 4^3 or 64 outcomes.

Reply #398754 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

the bar doesnt sell water just soft drinks and alcohol.
To me the smart thing if you were going to close a kiosk is to close the north side as there is more seats on the south side so more people over there.
I went over to the north kiosh and got served straight away so its not really hard to walk around the corner. logic says to have both south kisoks open..

great to see some fliar back in the game, was exciting to watch if only creek was playing and given some freedom.

I enjoyed weigh demanding the ball from crossy as we need guys to stand up. too many times players have been wide open but ignored as its not the set play so was great to see.

im just a little surprised it took 8 losses for the players to have their own meeting.
basically they have gone away from the coaches structure or marty has worked out hes got veterans who can run the show and make him look good if he gives them the flexibility.

Reply #398759 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

So what I'm hearing above is that the Sixers played better and won their first game in 9 when Clarke and Radford weren't involved?

Reply #398763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

surprising hey loco

Reply #398764 | Report this post

x  
Years ago

"weigh is playing for a contract next season"

Looooooooooool.

Reply #398772 | Report this post

Lightning McQueen  
Years ago

loved the Lieutenant Dann references by the announcer lol even picked up the "southern american" drawl on the "dayann" part lol gotta love forrest!! "you got youo some magic legs there Lieutenant dann!!" Dann is seriously retarded... clock ticking down to zero for the 3/4 time break... aaaaand he passes the ball. lol

Reply #398774 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:00 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754