Jack Toft
Years ago

R15 Sixers vs Breakers

Another Sunday game which means I can see the game live and then go home to scrutinise all the dodgy calls afterwards on the recorded game if it's a loss, or relive the victory. It's Heritage Round too and while some fan scrounge a thrift shop for some threads to look awesome, I just go to my wardrobe.

Every game from now on is a must win game for the Sixers as they hunt the Hawks and this game carries particular weight. Up by 21 last time, the Sixers couldn’t handle the full court pressure applied by Breakers. It was like watching a Sturt vs (insert any lower ranked club) U12 game. To be a serious finals contender, the Sixers must make the Breakers pay and win this game. Ideally, with a bench clearing and Pero getting minutes in double figures.

Can they do it? We all know Cedric "The Sixer Slayer" Jackson is the man to control, but controlling him is as dangerous as flossing the teeth on a hungry croc. I think the Sixers put their eggs in one basket last game by giving the main defensive role to Gibbo, which I believed distracted him from offence. A reckon a Trent Ormond-Allen type move by Marty might upset the thinking of Andre and turn the game the Sixers way.

Abercrombie has been well held in the previous games but without Creek to slow him down, could be as dangerous as a firebug with a box of matches on a 42 degree day. Hudson had a season high harvest of 23 points last game and poses as another problem child in a team more difficult to control than a detention class at Hackham High.

Sounds like a pizza and video night for the team at one of their bachelor pads might be a good Friday and Saturday night. It worked last time, so stick to the winning formula.

Go you Sixers !

Topic #30559 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now or never for the sixers as far as beating NZ goes .. difficult spot for the Breakers in terms of scheduling and they're a team that's very much picking and choosing when they put the foot down this season. Having handled the Sixers twice already they won't exactly have this game circled for a 'red line' effort.

If the sixers have any substance they won't have forgotten the feeling from three weeks ago when they belched up a 20+ pt lead in the second half to these guys.

Reply #399421 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Agree 100% anon.

Reply #399423 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Sixers haven't beaten NZ in how long? Not likely to happen now either.

Reply #399436 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

It'll happen some time. Who would you prefer the Breakers to play in finals? Hawks or Sixers?

Reply #399447 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

Taipans

Reply #399449 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

LOL

Reply #399450 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I don't mind either way Jack, wanna be the best you gotta beat the best. Also both Championships have come via tough first round playoff series against Perth and then Townsville so prob of benefit imo.

I agree that it's def gonna happen sooner or later (Adelaide getting a win against the Breakers especially with all the talent they have signed) but this Breakers side is currently the best team in the league at closing out tight games and coming back when down and have just done it twice against their bogey team in recent years.

NZ's chemistry and coaching>Adelaide.

Reply #399453 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Has anyone else ever wonder if NZ's recent practice of just beating Adelaide on BMC has been a deliberate ploy to avoid boredom?

I'm hoping it goes terribly wrong for them on Sunday if that's been the case. I agree with JT- Go Sixers (& not Sixes which is an entirely different organisation!!!!!)

Reply #399455 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

I think and have tipped the 36ers on this one. Hopefully Marty watched the game yesterday and studies how the Hawks contained the Breakers so well.

I think if Adelaide play like they did last week they should be able to take advantage of the tired Breakers.

Gibson, DJ + one other needs to be on aim offensively and the team as a whole must contain the breakers like the hawks did to get the win.

36ers by 14 (or Breakers by 3...)

Reply #399471 | Report this post

36reasons.net  
Years ago

Wow Jack, you used as many analogies as Lance Armstrong used PED's during his cycling career!

If the team comes out confident and thinks it can win it will. Must take on New Zealand in all aspects (boards, ball pressure etc) and not relent.

The aftermath of this one should be very interesting.

Reply #399494 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I think this week will say a lot about where the Sixers are at overall. We're playing the benchmark side, we have the 20 point capitulation hanging over our heads and we're in do-or-die mode as far as the finals go.

Was last week a turning point or a brief respite from the slide?

Hoping the Sixers turn it on.

Reply #399497 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

Jack,

"Hackham High"??? No such place exists.

Most of us Hackham boys are old enough to start apprenticeships by the time we graduate from primary school. Why should we bother doing another 10 years of schooling at a high school?

Reply #399501 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Yeah, I know there's no such place. For most of the Hackham lads I knew year 8 was the best years of high school.

Reply #399521 | Report this post

Shano  
Years ago

Sixers are a sure thing.

Reply #399535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

breakers to win easy.

Reply #399537 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I think it will be close and their is a chance of a Sixers upset but I think winning becomes a habit and habits can be hard to break. 3peat.

Reply #399546 | Report this post

flatshot  
Years ago

spread the load and sixers win. Sixers to win this one.

Reply #399549 | Report this post

Shano  
Years ago

Breakers are just going at the minute, not blitzing but doing enough to get by.. Sixers by 8.

Reply #399567 | Report this post

The Sixers will lose...Breakers by 20

Reply #399616 | Report this post

BTW Jacky boy, the locals pronounce it "Ackham" - the H is silent.

Reply #399622 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

It's always a great place for a party.

Reply #399646 | Report this post

Ol school  
Years ago

I just want the boys to play 4 hard quarters and DJ to follow his shot in and crash the boards. Win or lose I got my mullet sorted so I am stoked!!!

Reply #399650 | Report this post

JOaRiDrAN  
Years ago

Sixers by 5

I've got this crazy vibe. I'm chucking $200 on 6ers 1-10

Reply #399662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clarke admits to overplaying Weigh:

The 36ers didn't have new import Scott Christopherson that night and Clarke hopes he can have an impact.

"Scott has a role to play," Clarke said.

"Is he going to be a superstar? Probably not.

"But he certainly gives us someone who understands defence, so we can leave him out there for long stretches and not get exposed. And he can knock shots.

"It (also) gives us another person to give Gibbo and Steve - who have been overplayed this year - a chance to get rest ... so they can be out there to finish the game.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/luke-schenscher-has-until-last-minute-to-be-ready-for-new-zealand-breakers/story-fndekpx4-1226557015444

Reply #399686 | Report this post

36reasons.net  
Years ago

"Another person to give Gibbo and Steve......a chance to rest"

You know your import isn't awesome if that's listed as one of his main attributes. Plus where Clarke said he "probably not" going to be a superstar. Will be funny if that's what ends up on his NBLWiki page.

"Was not a superstar but was very helpful for resting tired players."

Reply #399694 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

lmao, not the most flattering of comments to the media from your Coach.

Reply #399699 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I hear through the grapevine that NZ Breakers officials are confident of snapping Marty Clarke's one game winning streak.

However, if we can play the full game like we did the first half against the Breakers two weeks ago, and also how we played against Sydney last week.....this could be our first win against them since Moses was in nappies.

Hopefully we'll get another standing ovation for the 36ers at the end of this afternoon's game.

Go the Sixers.

Reply #399703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Schenscher should be fine to go....saw him in the mall yesterday and looked to be moving fine and not hampered by his fall last week.

Reply #399704 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"If you can catch bargains you can catch balls"

Reply #399705 | Report this post

Bucketman  
Years ago

I actually thought Clarkes comments were honest and refreshing. I was good to read his aspect of the current state and not polish it up to be something it's not. They say the best time to judge a leader is when the stocks are at their lowest. Could be a appropriate time to judge..

Reply #399707 | Report this post

bk  
Years ago

Are you serious bucket man Marty said scott can "knock shots" how many shots has he got in since he's been here that sounds like a bit of polishing to me also i thought they were looking for an import who can drive to the basket and create his own shot. How many times has scott driven to the basket and kicked the ball back out to the three point line. Everything Marty says is polished to try and make him look like the good guy. Now iv'e got that out the way i really hope last weeks game was the turnning point but iv'e been disappointed to many times to get my hopes up i think NZ probably got a scare against wollongong on friday night and will come out blazing from the start.I will be at the game cheering the 6ers on and willing them to win with all my heart unfortunatly my head is saying we will lose

Reply #399722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunately doesnt sound like Schenscher will be playing today.

Reply #399730 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

No Schensh

Reply #399732 | Report this post

x  
Years ago

Some fantastic D being played so far. Oh my Gibson.

Daly to Pero 3 times in a row = huge.

Reply #399736 | Report this post

x  
Years ago

Fuck these refs are terrible.

Reply #399739 | Report this post

x  
Years ago

Like... Really fucking terrible.

Reply #399740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

X the sixers aren't much better

Reply #399742 | Report this post

don't make excuses guys we're missing our 7 footer as well

Reply #399744 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@JOaRiDrAN

Do yourself a favour....ignore future 'Crazy Vibes'.

Reply #399745 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

You have to wonder what happens at half time for the Sixers.

Really, the game was lost in the first 6 minutes after half time when the Sixers didn't look like scoring and no adjustments were made. Corletto was left open and rattled off about 10 points of his own. The game was relatively even apart from that stretch. Obviously NZ pulled away in junk time in the 4th quarter.

Last time these 2 teams played when the Sixers coughed up a 20 point lead their third quarter was also terrible.

Reply #399746 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

JOaRiDrAN, how was that $200 bet?

Abercrombie coming right by the looks and good contribution from the bench.

Reply #399747 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Great decision from Marty not to put Pero back on after halftime after he had provided such a spark in the first. No feel for the game whatsoever.

Christopherson isn't half the player Massingale is. Tom Daly should start the next game in Cadee's place too.

Reply #399748 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH NO MORE TO SAY BRING ON THE END OF THE YEAR. Daly Cadee Christpherson DJ between them shot 11 points,11points DJ had 7 points from fts what a disgrace so much for CHRISTOPHSON can shoot , maybe if he had a GUN. one thing missed Luke bad.

Reply #399752 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH NO MORE TO SAY BRING ON THE END OF THE YEAR. Daly Cadee Christpherson DJ between them shot 11 points,11points DJ had 7 points from fts what a disgrace so much for CHRISTOPHSON can shoot , maybe if he had a GUN. one thing missed Luke bad.

Reply #399753 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Reply #399754 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Reply #399755 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I agree Daly and Pero combined well and I was bemused as to why Pero didn't get another spell. He'll get cut next week for not missing lol.

Reply #399758 | Report this post

Pen15  
Years ago

No they had 19 between them

Reply #399759 | Report this post

Guns  
Years ago

Still laughing at the decision made to sack Massingale. They then replace him with a guy who would struggle at SEABL level. Sadly this decision not only cost Adelaide a few wins, but might also finish off the club overall.

Dumbest decision of the season so far. Marty is responsible.

Reply #399760 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

The reason Christopherson does so well in training is that he is up against Adelaide all week!

Reply #399762 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

pen if you count free throws, its still a disgrace what ever way you look at it. Still trying to make sense of his ( martys ) moves in second half the guy has a split personality no way you can coach well 1st half and lose the plot in the second, may he should piss if his assistant if he is giving him advise

Reply #399764 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@anon..

Gibbo, Cadee, Weigh and DJ combined for 7 / 31...and you are layig abuse on a minimum import who shot @ 50%?

Luke's abscence was matched by Pledger's.

Reply #399765 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Really, the game was lost in the first 6 minutes after half time when the Sixers didn't look like scoring and no adjustments were made."

That is spot on. Six minutes without scoring and not a sub? After the bench had played so well in the first half? It even took five minutes for a time-out.

When your team has a history of second half fadeouts you just have to be more proactive than that as a coach.

Reply #399767 | Report this post

Acie Earl  
Years ago

New Zealand... LOL... Why is there a Country playing in a city vs city league ? Insert Benny Hill music..

Reply #399768 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Plain and simple; too much depth.

Reply #399769 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@Guns...

The Massingale decision was RATIFIED BY THE BOARD.

But don't let it get in the way of Marty bashing...its been 2 weeks so I guess its all built up over time.

I suppose now is as good a time as ever, losing to the competition leaders whilst the 4 of the starters shoot 7 / 31...

Yup...all Marty's fault that one.

I have to laugh at all the 'where was Pero' posts.

All year you have all posted 'Why is Pero on ffs', now this.

I feel sorry for the coach of these 'most knowledgable' fans.

Reply #399770 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"The reason Christopherson does so well in training is that he is up against Adelaide all week!"

That's gold! I imagine he doesnt face anything nearly as daunting as Abercrombie.

Reply #399771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Daly showed glimpses of being good, should be a solid full time bench player next season, isnt up to starting though.

Cadee and Christopherson should be dragged to the ABL, they just arent up to it, nuff said.

Clarke and his garden gnome need to be shown the door. We gonna get the wooden spoon this season again, i tell you it's gonna happen.

Reply #399772 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

was waiting for you MC to come out from under your rock yes blame him after all IT was Marty WHO said this guy can shoot, well how many games does he need to show how well he shoots, please do tell after all you were the one saying how fans should get behind Martys decisions as coach once again his decisions have be shown up as bull shit so back of the fans.

Reply #399773 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Really dissapointing performance. Just looked so disorganised and uninspired. Really thought we were a chance at this one, home court, nz backing up etc. Clarkes rotations really are questionable. Why did daly play the entire last qtr when season is on the line? Cannot work out the persistance with playing 3 point guards at once. Still looked disorganised.

Yeah, obviously you gotta acknowledge nz as a very decent team, but they were hardly pushed out of 1st gear and just coasted along all game on an opposotion court. Just wasn't a good enough performance given the importance of the result I.M.O.

Reply #399774 | Report this post

Starks  
Years ago

At least the first quarter had an element of fun to it with the Daly-Pero combo scoring machine and the heritage Sixers Girls dusting off the dance moves. In this case it truly was a bit of heritage as it reminded me of what it used to be like to go to the Powerhouse...

Reply #399775 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@Big Ads..

The sixers normally have Anthony Petrie as sixth man, then Creek, then an IMPORT.

Reply #399776 | Report this post

Bucketman  
Years ago

@BK, I broadly commented on Clarkes comments, didn't say I agreed with them all. It's clear christopherson isn't firing, but his history suggests he can definitely shoot. He is just not doing it for us!!!

NZ deserves credit for their second half and we need our heads analysed. Maybe it's a less energy = poor decision making from some of our players, not sure but something clearly is a miss. While Clarke deserves criticism, I'm not sure he or any coach could influence our players in a manner that could reverse their mind set. NZ lift the intercity, we pack our dacks and make immature errors. It would do your head in if you we're in charge.

Clearly Schenscher is a integral cog in our system. Hope he is back from now on.

Reply #399777 | Report this post

Starks  
Years ago

Marcus, I seem to remember the board making it absolutely clear that it was Clarke's decision to give CJ the boot. How could they not? Then they'd have to fire Clarke. I think it is a simple case of giving the man enough rope... Wish CJ could play for the Hawks. That would at least add some spice to the rest of this sorry season.

Reply #399779 | Report this post

Starks  
Years ago

^^ Should have read - How could they not ratify Clarke's decision...

Reply #399780 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Ratified by the board means "we will back your decision" The board have been doing this now for 3 years. Must be killing them financially and emotionally.

Reply #399781 | Report this post

X  
Years ago

Haven't felt so sour about a loss all year. That's probably because it's usually the team's incompetence that costs them, but I really think we would have been a great chance today with some half-decent officiating.

The amount of times those guys can fall for blatant flops and yet miss so many legitimate hacks is baffling and just about unwatchable.

I

Reply #399782 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I'm surprised that time out with 1min 29 secs to play didn't spark a 15 point turn around for us.

Reply #399783 | Report this post

X  
Years ago

But that's certainly no excuse for what happened after half time and the crazy coaching all game.

I'm getting sick of waiting for DJ to become the player we know he can be. He's soft and I'm pretty sure he always will be. His defensive laziness cost us multiple buckets in that second half. We're not winning a championship with him as a starting big.

Petrie, on the other hand, was absolutely brilliant at both ends. He's a star.

Why didn't Pledger play?

Reply #399784 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Christopherson barely gets the ball. Both him and weigh would benifit from better offensive systems.

The pattern of the season is all to familiar-positive start, string of losses, glimourbof hope (sydney game) but followed by a poor performance. Obviously never expected the breakers to be pushovers, but sensed a more inspired performance after last week. Really was ugly in that 2nd half.

Not sure cadee is really benifiting at all from playing under clarke, nor was mitch and weigh is not. Developement player is taking his minutes, confidence looks shot.

Reply #399787 | Report this post

Quickie  
Years ago

Good first half ,getting everyone involved,Pero not playing 2nd half i dont understand,Daly Pero combination was good .sixers 10 points in 3rd,2nd half fade again .Sixers need start winning again but i doubt they will win 50%of their remainder games.

Reply #399789 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The "old style" cheerleaders were the highlight. I've re-fallen in love with one of them. Not too sure of her name

Reply #399790 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Pledger rolled his ankle against the Hawks on Thursday. Was a maybe to play but is still hobbling around on it.

Only Hudson didn't score in double figures out of NZ's starters. All of NZ's players bar the injured Pledger scored and Adelaide matched NZ on the rebound count.

Reply #399791 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

Yep, they made my afternoon too Jack.

Reply #399793 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers now lost 9 of their last 10, well done Marty.

Scores were tied at the half, then lose by 18, well done Marty.

Christopherson 5pts & 5to, well done Marty.

Reply #399796 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I was hoping for a dance off Big Ads.

Reply #399798 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Scott would have more chance getting shots from Daly then Crosswell. Interesting week of training this week because we know the scout report has us pegged. We need to change the way we play. However every side knows ramp up the D at the start of the third and we stagnate

Reply #399801 | Report this post

Quickie  
Years ago

Jack yes some of the cheerleaders caught my eye...mainly Tina and Emma forgotten rest of others,they must be in their late 30s maybe your eyein the blond

Reply #399804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I find Scott Christopherson very frustrating to watch, forget the fact that he is an import, Tom Daly is better and he is just a development player, infact Daly was our best guard apart from Gibson, i hope he gets some good minutes for the rest of the season, atleast he is a young SA player who we can get behind.

SC is meant to be a great shooter, ive barley seen him take let alone make a decent jumpshot in the game.

I would let SC go, his probation wouldnt have finnished even if we just replace him with a development player, wont be any worse off. Just no point sticking with an american with no long term prospect at this level, CJ would have definatly been better, and was, his stats prove it.

The fact that he is an import makes him more frustrating, even if he is cheap.

SC seems to be a good guy, just not NBL standard player.

Given imports like Farley, Dorsey, Tucker, Williams , Gilchrist may have taken the spot, even if some of them have 'attitudes' would have been a massive upgrade, even if most of them are on the wrong side of 30 (some over 35). If nothing else they would give the team some attitude, swagger and hey we are losing anyway and i guarantee they would put up better numbers than SC.

I would rather give the spot to Erik Burdon or any other SEABL/NZ NBL (Lindsay Tait?) player who would take a short term cheap contract, which im sure there would be heaps, import or not they would show more than SC and Burdon for example would give another SA guy for the fans to get behind, least we would have something to cheer on for the rest of this dead season, be cool to see a couple of SA guys get some decent minutes, especially given Cadee and Crosswell are having poor seasons.

Another thing i dont get, what is the risk of letting Clarke go mid season (apart from financial)? The team has won 1 out of the last 10, no hope of playoffs cant really get any worse. Id definatly let a 36ers legend like Maher have a go for the rest of the season if he is willing to do so, if money is an issue, demote Clarke and Radford to development coaches with no game day role and install Maher and an assistant of his choice as game coaches for the rest of the season, id guess Clark and Radford would walk. What is the risk on the court? I know it wont happen, and money probably is the main issue, i just dont see how its too risky on the court to replace Marty.

Reply #399805 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

We looked very disorganised for long stretches and then battled even at the other times. This system can make competent players look anything but.

Our spacing is pretty dismal. Players draw defenders in to situations that favour the opposition. Off the ball, others don't always move to smart positions. Given space, we look out of room. In tight spaces, the Breakers looked mostly in control and with options. In some patches, we were lucky to be level with them.

Christopherson has been pretty disappointing, even on a budget. Doesn't have the benefit of years in or around the league, but still seems less reliable than an 11th man at times. Rough coming in to this squad.

Something was up with Cadee in this game. Came off at one point (last sub?) and seemed pretty dejected. DJ spoke with him, consoling him it seemed. His minutes went to Daly after that?

Besides Petrie's game and some of Daly's, there weren't too many positives to take out of the game for the 36ers.

Double the dancers was great though, and the MC's outfit. And getting Dennard there.

Reply #399806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's fair to say the ineptitude of the SOS people over these past 3 years is mind-numbing.

People can bang on about them saving the club blah blah blah (others would've stepped in) but it's almost like they've been trying to destroy the 36ers brand these past 3 years.It's just been one bullshit decision or non-decision after another.

About 10 games left in the season, pretty much can't make the playoffs now having lost 9 of the last 10 just pull the pin on Marty before too many fans walk away for good.

Reply #399807 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

That 3rd quarter after Lemanis adjusted to the D was humorous... How far behind did Marty want to let his team fall behind before changing it up, on both ends.

Reply #399808 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Cadee hasn't looked confident all season. I think these young players are convinced that playing under him is in the best interest of their careers, when really, they actually seem to be suffering? I really rate weigh as a player but he just looks lost out there sometimes, under that system.

Reply #399810 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@Anon'805...

Re : Letting Marty go.

I believe this article sums if up very well.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/change-of-coach-too-risky-for-adelaide-36ers/story-fndekpx4-1226556111810

Even at the very top, it is believed that getting rid of Marty could jeopardise the rest of the season.

As I have said all along Marty has the support of the 6er organisation, TOP TO BOTTOM.

Reply #399811 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

It seemed the plan was to exploit Christopherson's size on defence. Abercrombie backed him down and shot over the top of him while Henry "All I do at BMC is chuck bricks" Henry and "i prefer Drumsticks" Corletto got easy looks against him at the perimeter. Breakers put on a master class of recognising how to best exploit the Sixers on defence.

Wonder how useful Warbout would have been if given the job of bumping around Mika and keeping him off the boards.

Reply #399812 | Report this post

SamCro  
Years ago

Hah Marcus Camby...once again taking the piss out of everyone!

Reply #399813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clarke and Radford in their infinite basketball wisdom thought that SC would be such an upgrade that it was worth wasting the owners' money making the change.

What a joke these two are. They would pass on Lebron James!

Also Clarke. That zone you played in the third quarter...it didnt work. But hats off to you for persisting with it all the way to a 24 to 10 quarter.

Lastly, what was with his time out with 1 minute to go and down 15?

In many ways keeping Clarke has kept this season interesting in that you don't know what bizarre thing will happen next. It's almost perverse. Like looking at a train wreck.

If the owners don't insist on SC being cut immediately then I question their business acumen even more than when I read they were keeping Clarke.

Lets be honest. Clarke won't be hear next season. Nor will SC. Give his time to Daly and the development players. See if say Daly and Doyle are up to it at NBL level for when Croswell retires and in case Gibson or Cadee leave. In the case of the latter, we should of just signed Daly. Both Daly and Doyle are just as good as Cadee and are local.

Reply #399814 | Report this post

X  
Years ago

"Wonder how useful Warbout would have been if given the job of bumping around Mika and keeping him off the boards."

Would have racked up 5 fouls in 3 minutes with that bullshit officiating.

Reply #399815 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Vukona would've run riot.

Reply #399817 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Christopherson -1 Cadee 1 Weigh 2 . pretty bad.
All the rest pretty effecient/effective ,
like Petrie 19 , not used to big minutes here though
Pero - Daly , pretty to watch .

Reply #399820 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Didn't he do that anyway Isaac.

Reply #399821 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Would clarke consider walking?

Reply #399822 | Report this post

Cats82  
Years ago

With or without cj would make no differnce! Just get over it every 1!

Reply #399831 | Report this post

No Respect  
Years ago

I've said it before, Clark won't walk as it would look bad to the new Boomers coach. If Clark doesn't get re-signed, at least he can fall back on excuses as to why he wasn't successful.
Get over it people, he's here for this season!

Reply #399833 | Report this post

lol  
Years ago

Does anyone else think that Cadee is just not up to NBL standard? Don't get me wrong, he will become a great player but lately hes just been disappointing. This is only his 2nd or 3rd season so I give him credit for what he's been able to achieve so far in his short career.

I'd bring him off the bench next game and see how he goes, but on current form he should not be starting, nor getting 20+ minutes a game. Based on what we've seen today and the last couple of games I reckon Daly is due for some more minutes and I'd even go as far as saying that he should be starting ahead of Cadee. He just seems to be able to read the game a little better and looks to be a better shooter.

My preference for starting 5 for next game is:

Schensher
Johnson
Petrie
Weigh
Gibson

or

Schensher
Johnson
Weigh
Daly
Gibson

Reply #399835 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

I actually liked the idea of bringing schensch of the bench and starting petrie alongside Johnson. Similar to the way the bullets used bradtke in their championship season. Also, doesn't mean schensh has to play less minutes then either of them, just a better starting balance IMO.

Maybe bench cadee and start SC? I like gibbo at the 1 more than the 2, but obviously can handle both.

Reply #399836 | Report this post

X  
Years ago

The Cadee criticism is laughable.

Reply #399838 | Report this post

Bucketman  
Years ago

If Petrie was healthy, I would play him 40 mins every week. Typifies competitive spirit and along with Gibson shows pride in everything they do. We need Johnson to realise a couple of things:

One. You are 7 foot. Young. Can jump (kinda) DUNK the (expletive)ing ball!!!!!!

Two. Rebounds can be acquired at both ends of the court. Work a bit harder to get in for them.

And Three. Even if you think you can't...... Try to DUNK IT!!!!

Even a missed dunk inspires hope into team mates and the crowd of what might occur. Creates energy and excitement. That's how I remember basketball being played.

Reply #399840 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Cadee had a great game last week against Sydney. He's not as bad as some on this forum say.

With the constant condemnation of Clarke by fans, and the fact that the team have lost hope of making playoffs, the club should just let Clarke go. Is there a rule in the NBL that every team must have a coach. They can't do any worse without him so give the fans a break from having to see him there every game making decisions that sees him outcoached by the opposition and consistently losing games. Losing games is the only consistent pattern of performance we have had from Clark. Let Gibson be the player/coach for the rest of the season. They can't do any worse.

Reply #399842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only the Sixers can make Leon Henry look good.

(Mod: Bzzzt.) we suck.

Daniel Johnson you are a disgrace. Watch some game tape on Vukona, Boucher.
Grow some (Mod: Bzzzt.) balls you soft (Mod: Bzzzt.)
6'10 never got an offensive board in your life. or a block. Or a tip jam

He is the cancer. Too busy waxing his hair before the game, god has blessed you with a shooters touch in a seven foot frame, yet you underperform more often then not. ( NBL player of the week doesn't count last week he hit 16/21 ft ffs )

Get rid of him there is NO FIRE in his heart. Gibbo is the only one who gives a fuck, I feel embarrassed for him, it's like if you have a job opening at your work, you tell your over qualified mate he should take it. 6 months in he blocks at you and says "what the fuck? Cheers I thought you said this place was good, now my resume is tarnished cause of you" there is NO WAY Gibbo is staying and I don't blame him.

Shame DJ Shame, you are the Bernard Tomic of the NBL. Got talent but think the world/fans owe you something.

I wish god made me 6"10, I'd bleed for the 36ers. You barely sweat!

Reply #399843 | Report this post

x  
Years ago

Harsh but I do not disagree.

Reply #399844 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

"How far behind did Marty want to let his team fall behind before changing it up, on both ends."

Sadly, is Marty saving up all his timeouts to cash them in at season's end. When things are working out, change it up or call a time out.

Reply #399845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clarke wont walk him and his side kick are probably antisipating a new contract and a pay rise for a further 3 year deal LOL

Reply #399846 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

Ouch, not even Townsville fans went to that level with Ben Allen while losing 10 games straight.

Reply #399847 | Report this post

Thirty Suxers  
Years ago

nice one bucketman! Couldn't agree more!

And this goes for just about everyone in the league. So many of the NBL players opt for layups, but if I had hops like half of these guys I would be trying to throw it down every chance i had.

Reply #399849 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Anon, I disagree that J is the Tomic of the NBL. Maybe the Philippoussis?

Reply #399852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hate DJ's game but he is on a three year contract! Imagie if we used his money for a decent import!

Reply #399854 | Report this post

ash  
Years ago

Forget the game I am more worried about Bizzy and those shorts, have you got them out yet??

Reply #399864 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Gold Ash.

Reply #399878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Re Cadee,Crosswell when was the last time they hit a 3 ?

Given a bit of confidence, Daly should be given more time on the court IMO.

Reply #399903 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Cadee hit a three last game. But yes, his long range shooting at home has been poor.

I don't know why Daly and Christopherson don't shoot right away, rather than start a succession of fake, drive, pass which eventuates in a non-ideal shot by someone like Crosswell. Crosswell was at least hitting his shots yesterday.

Reply #399905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is the most frustrating thing for me is the lack or rotations and to try something different when it is not working whether it be within a game or a consistent them across games of a poor second half. It may not always work but Daly/Pero on together worked several times. At least these two are South Australians and have a heart for the team as compared to DJ.

"Only a fool does the same things and expects different results!"

Reply #399909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

most disappointing part yesterday was after going scoreless for the first five minutes and calling a time out, Clarke chose to go with the same five who had been held scoreless - I have been a fence sitter with Clarke, not a good coach but not deserving at times of some of the criticisms on here. However not making a playing personnel change irked me. especially as others have said Pero/Daly combo worked well the previous quarter.
almost a mindset that our bench has kept us to parity at half time. now it is time to run my rested starters to win the game, instead of going geez these guys are cold but Pero/Petrie work well together lets try them.

Reply #399913 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

^^ I was amazed by that too.

Reply #399916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee must have been promised a starting spot to play here. That is the only logical assumption as to why they persist in starting him. He's not ready, and they are actually doing his game harm by continuing is this vein. Daly is doing better than Crosswell and Cadee. Not saying he should be starting either but Daly has hoed the right path and the benefits are beginning to show.

Reply #399927 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

He would've been at least promised a stronger role than being stuck behind Gibson and Deleon at Gold Coast. That left him as third option at point guard.

Thing is, unless you're a drawcard club (Perth or NZ, basically), you're forced to win bidding wars, develop and retain (hard; have to pay up eventually) or offer more on-court. Winning a bidding war can hamstring your efforts elsewhere on the roster.

I imagine Johnson, Weigh and Cadee all came to Adelaide enthusiastic about better opportunities. Two were on the bench at their previous clubs, another was facing serious competition at his position on a tough roster. Johnson for one, results aside just for the sake of recruiting arguments, became one of the better scorers in the league and is currently second in the league in rebounding, starting alongside a seven-footer. Could be far worse. Hard to get other strong centres out of contracts with their existing clubs.

Consider us lucky to have been out-bid for Ben Allen in the past. Thankfully Townsville got him!

Reply #399936 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Ash - it took me a while, but I managed. =]

Reply #399955 | Report this post

36reasons.net  
Years ago

You're right Isaac. Cadee is 2-24 on threes at home. Yep, 8%

Amazingly he's 11-27 on the road. 41%

Reply #399968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti's review of the game:

36ers v Breakers (M)

YOU have to love Adelaide for a half and that's what it gave against New Zealand before succumbing 66-84.

If you do the same things, expect the same result. So when in the first half you run a few pick-and-rolls for Tom Daly with Pero Vasiljevic, and get six points out of it ... well, of course, we don't want to see that in the second half.

That's why a 38-38 interval scoreline blows out to 50-38 in no time at all. How about Daryl Corletto making the baseline inbounds pass, ambling into court and to the corner, taking a return pass and swishing an uncontested three?

Then another basket and another triple for eight straight DC points. You have to Marvel!

Anthony Petrie's free throws at 4:03 were Adelaide first points of the second half and his basket at 2:25 its first field goal of the third quarter.

Toss in a couple of Leon Henry threes and NZ starts with an 18-2 run for 56-40 lead and this one is over, despite Petrie's 19 points and valiant efforts. Hey, valiant efforts is all Sixers' ownership is interested in.

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/around-rd-15/

Reply #399973 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Anon'843...

Isn't that a bit disrespectful to DJ calling him soft or 'c**t' or a disgrace?

The man is :

- 8th highest scorer.
- 1st Total Rebounder
- 1st Defensive Rebounder.
- 1st FT's made.

Honestly....thats pretty good upside there despite his known deficiencies.

Surely not deserving of being called a 'C'?

Reply #399998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It should be compulsory for any 7 footer shooting below 40% from the field (let alone below 38%) to be labelled a 'C'.

Reply #400008 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

"Even at the very top, it is believed that getting rid of Marty could jeopardise the rest of the season."

Wait.

What?

Also - old school cheerleaders was by far the best part of Sunday.

Reply #400012 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@Anon'038...

I take it then that the FG% column is the only one you look at?

Reply #400028 | Report this post

Vespa  
Years ago

MC.....

So when Marty's contact is not renewed at the
end of the season. Has the bored suddenly lost
confidence in him??

Fact is the couldnt afford to pay him out
and hire another coach.

I can give you the press release at the
end of the season for Marty's sacking already.
" we would like to thank Marty for his commitment
to the club. We wish him well for the future "

Just like 95% of all other press releases regarding
not resigning a player or coach.

Reply #400036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marcus, I KNOW Basketball mate. I don't care that DJ makes a few shots and gets some lazy rebounds. Do you have the game on tape/hard drive?? If so give me a week or so and I will document down DJs frustrating and pathetic efforts that had me call him a cun+ and you can see for yourself.
I'll take the c word back I finished watching the game last night at about 10pm and was pretty angry.

In my opinion ( and everyone has a right ) especially when you fork out over $300 for membership, DJ is the equivalent of a Shawn Kemp of the NBL, not for jamming but his god given talent. Kemp was a lazy mother, he could've been a hall of famer, he averaged 25pts 12 Rebs in the 96 NBA finals against the Bulls but would rock up every year over weight. DJ does not work hard enough EVER! Maybe someone like Gordgian could get him into line but his efforts are pathetic whether its establishing a low enough position in the post or boxing out for a defensive rebound. With the right coaching he could be a Boomer.

All pro players have given talent but there a some with the real "gift" that is rare

There are players out there with the gift but no desire or work ethic - Vince Carter

There are players with no gift but desire, hard work - Ben Wallace back in 04

Then there's players with god given talent, dedication, desire, passion and WORK ETHIC- MJ, Kobe etc etc.

Daniel Johnson is a waste plain and simple. Yes he stats up and hits some crazy shots that make us shake our heads but when the chips are down and our balls are on the line DJ has as much influence on the court as I do. Fuck all

I'm counting the sleeps till he moves to another club.

Reply #400042 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Here endeth the lesson

Reply #400043 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Johnson was MVP last season. Club did well to get him signed for 3 years given the other inclusions and what they must cost to overall cap. Yeah, is not a beast defensively, but could be another to benifit from different coaching formulas. Surely, given potential, age, what we have seen if him already etc, the good should outweigh the bad.

Reply #400048 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

For the greatest part of his career (his years with sonics) Kemp was a very hard worker. Wasn't till the shortened season when he left for Cleveland that he got fat, lazy and hit the drugs. Vin Baker is a much better comparison to DJ

Reply #400050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed with above anon. Anyone who knows the game knows the cancer DJ is.

When was the last time the kid won at any level of basketball? College, NBL or anything? I think other than one season in SBL he hasnt been on any kind of winning team for five years (and that team in the 5th season was sitting on the end of theTigers bench).

I'm no fan of Marty but his biggest mistake was signing this kid and betting his NBL coaching record on him. Swap DJ out for a hard working import that plays some D and finishes around the hoop and were top four right now even with Marty.

And with have two more years of this guy.....we're screwed.

Reply #400053 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

I love the way you arm chair experts take a set against a player and show so little respect for the players and the game. DJ certainly has a long way to go to fulfill his potential. Played very poorly yesterday. Player of the week last week in win v Kings and Crosswhite who by the way would be big chance of player of week this week if his team had won. Pretty sure he was player of the week earlier this season. I understand that you would like DJ to "look as though he's working harder" Second in the league in rebounding indicates some level of effort, I would have thought. Shot selection horrible.
Coach needs to sit his arse down when he drifts to perimeter. Should have been huge interior focus yesterday against undersized NZ.
Show some respect DJ is an outstanding talent who is still years away from his best.
Hopefully its in Adelaide with a coach who will hold him accountable and develop his defensive skills.

Reply #400056 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

'042, watch your language or post elsewhere.

Reply #400063 | Report this post

X  
Years ago

37.4 FG% Playing at C/PF. Inexcusable.

2.4 turnovers per.

22 3P% and yet he inisists on camping out there.

Worst interior defender in the NBL.

Rebounding the only positive and, lets be honest, 2 of those per game are probably coming from his own misses.

I don't think anyone's questioning his potential, but right now he is hurting the team in 8/10 games he plays and I can certainly understand how patience is running thin.

Reply #400064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon, I tell it as it is mate. I've been obsessed with Basketball since I was 8 years old. I have over 1000 NBA games and a collection of 250 Jordan games from 87 onwards. I've been going to the 36ers since Apollo stadium, been a season ticket holder since 95. I've been playing basketball since 1988 and still play and would beat DJ down in a 3 point comp.
I know the fundamentals of the game, how to exploit your opponents weaknesses and know how to hide my own. I'm no pro but I am no armchair expert either.

Next game this Sunday, just focus on DJ and watch how many points Melbourne score off of 2nd chance points where DJ is at fault, either by not boxing out or getting bated into a switch ( like Corletto yesterday ) and watching the 2 guard create a play which misses and gets tipped home cause DJ is out at the top of the key already thinking of his next 20 foot bomb he gets to shoot.

As I stated above DJ in a incredible talent and with the right coach he could / should be an Olympian. It just seems to me Marty never chews him out he's like the kid in 16s district div 1 who's Dad was a legend at the club or the club secretary. There is no accountability, I would love a coach like popavich who actually steps onto the court screaming at his players while the game s still flowing.

There are some parts of games this season where DJ has missed 5 straight shots for the Sixers and no one else has shot it. DJ needs to learn there is a time and a place on offence, so many forced shots that make me furious. I could let that slide but when you see him lazy on D it reminds me of a soccer player who is struggling with pain like he's been shanked in the leg, then the ball gets near him all of a sudden he is fine and running perfectly. If he showed the same effort on D as he did O, he would be the league MVP and sniffing at a euro contract - where he could comfortably retire at 35 and travel around the globe.

If he keeps this defence up, the only travelling he will be doing is travelling across Australia selling showbags for the royal show.

Reply #400065 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

I wonder with DJ whether he comes across as being lazy as he is one of those guys who doesn't show much emotion? I don't remember seeing him get massively pumped after a big play like a dunk or hitting a big shot either.

He could be a better defender. He should finish more strongly around the basket. Anything more than that is over the top hate.

Reply #400066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is lazy, end of story.

Reply #400067 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Re DJ, there is no doubt he has talent offensively and you don't want to curtail that to some extent. But his shot selection at times is absolutely woeful and you would really like to see an improvment in that area. If a coach came down too hard on that there is a risk that he wouldn't continue to be aggressive and try and display all of his offensive talents. I guess that's the skill in coaching a player like DJ...

Love Boti's point about the Sixers not running in the second half what was working in the first half, specifically the Daly, Pero combination. I'm astounded that no adjustments, no timeouts, nothing was done in that distastrious first 6 minutes of the second half.

I used to laugh at Brian Goorjian calling timeouts 30 seconds into the game but at least he was pro-active and put a stop to something as soon as didn't like what he saw...

Reply #400075 | Report this post

eli1  
Years ago

Heritage round; nice, but a total flop on entertainment. next year, lets play away ay?

Overall, I didnt think it was so bad, although the margin was pretty bad which led me to leave early. Normally a hardened supporter but the beers during the game kill me, so left early via the loo.

As for the first half, was pretty good. The 3rd quarter, MAN!, to post your first points of the quarter via free throws at 04:03 left, says it all doesnt it. Even with a TV Timeout, we still struggled. Im glad we only have to watch this coach hand out his insulting crap another 3 times at home. And subbing on and off in the third was pitiful. If it doesnt look like its working, then change it.

If they hire clark is any form next year, i intend to boycott going. The only bonus for him this week was he didnt get booed or jeered.

Reply #400079 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Johnson is a bit like Khazzouh though not as advanced, very talented offensively but their lack of effort and fundamentals hurt their team, especially when their shot isnt dropping.

Reply #400081 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I should add, it's such a shame Khazzouh and Johnson havent been in good systems they could learn to be a cog in.

I hope the next 36ers coach is a good one in that regard, I always thought for eg, that had Trahair played under Goorjian he could have gotten close to his potential, it was no coincidence his best ball was under Molloy.

Reply #400082 | Report this post

Guns  
Years ago

Khazzouh actually got blocks and tough rebounds though.

Reply #400124 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Mutley- Have also wondered that.

I think it's more d.j's casual, on court manorisms and motions that may come across as lazy, maybe? It's not like the guy is never, completely not trying. Has sufferes under clarke this season I.M.O.

Reply #400196 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:50 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754