Isaac
Years ago

Kobe interview: I'm the best one-on-one

No surprise to read inflammatory comments from Kobe; he's not one to sit on the fence. Here's the one-on-one section, though the whole article is worth a read if you have time and are a Kobe/NBA fan:

Who would you most like to play one-on-one, either active or retired?

Jordan. No question.

What would happen?

I'm not sure, but he would win some and I would win some in a seven-game series. It would probably come down to the last few shots.

You versus LeBron? Who wins?

Me. No question. As far as one-on-one, I’m the best to ever do it.

Damn. That’s pretty confident.

LeBron is a terrific all-around, five-on-five basketball player who’s an all-time great. But I’d get him.

Who could get you?

Kevin Durant is the guy that would give me the most trouble. With his length and ability to use the dribble, he’d be tough.

I always wanted to see you play Tracy McGrady.

I played T-Mac. I cooked him. Roasted him. Wasn’t even close. Ask him, he’ll tell you. When I was about 20, we were in Germany doing some promotional stuff for that other sneaker company and we played basketball every day. We were in the gym all the time. We played three games of one-on-one to 11. I won all three games. One game I won 11-2. After the third game he said he had back spasms and couldn’t play anymore.

His back bothered him for most of his career.

Well, now you know.

What about Kyrie Irving?

[Huge smile, laugh.] Kyrie’s my boy, but he knows he doesn’t have anything for me. He doesn’t want to see me. But it would be fun. I’ve beaten a lot of guys one-on-one, like Reggie Miller and Grant Hill. I used to play Caron Butler all the time in practice when he was with the Lakers. When I was a rookie I used to get Nick Van Exel and Eddie Jones. They know. They’ll tell you. They used to come at me hard but I wasn’t having that. I love going one-on-one with someone. That’s what I do. I’ve never lost. It’s a whole different game, just to have them right in front of you and be able to do whatever you want.

Full article

Made me wonder about a showcase series of televised one-on-one challenges. Imagine the audience. All the hypotheticals (of current players, at least) made real. And lumps of shame for anyone feigning mild injury or disinterest to escape. (e.g., LeBron in dunk comps.)

Topic #30562 | Report this topic

x  
Years ago

RE last comment, that would be amazing.

I tend to agree with Kobe. Durant would trouble him but he'd have LeBron.

Reply #399461 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

Insert Ingles13 negative comments now....

Reply #399463 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

How would Kobe stop Lebron down low? Lebron would haeve the speed to defend Kobe as well

Reply #399467 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Probably not the best time to brag about being the best one-on-one when you're playing a team game and your team is playing like crap.

Reply #399469 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jake, I also thought LeBron could out-muscle him and take it inside. What's the convention in one-on-one for drawing a foul on a drive? Just possession?

Reply #399470 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Competitive one on ones are always taken out by a player who backs down and muscles his way to the basket, back down dribble x4 and layup, Lebron would beat Kobe.

Someone like Shaq in his prime would win every game, the only way he could loose is if you start counting 3's and 2's, but the shooter would need to get on a streak as Shaq would score 2 literally every time.

Reply #399476 | Report this post

x  
Years ago

Disagree completely Melbourne boy. They have to get to the post first. There's no PG feeding them.

Kobe would be able to defend the post well enough to affect most shots. On the other hand, LeBron could have a hand in Kobe's face on every jumper. Wouldn't matter.

Reply #399477 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

That other sneaker company... Love it

Reply #399478 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

I'd beat them both at Connect Four.

Reply #399480 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

x, watch "Red Bull King of The Rock"

Shaq would be handed the ball at the 3 point line, turn and sit his 150kg ass on his opponent and take 4 backdown dribbles and dunk.

Reply #399481 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Jump shots don't win 1 on 1.

Reply #399482 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Shaq in his prime couldn't stop Kobe doing whatever he wanted on offense and would have trouble handling the ball outside the key with a pesky Kobe in his face going for the steal.

Kobe v LeBron, particularly now that Kobe's lost a step, would be something different altogether.

Reply #399483 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Billo, pretty sure if Shaq backed Kobe down from the top of the key there is no chance of a steal, he doesn't even need to face him at all.
Kobe would take relatively easy jumpers and would miss at least a couple.

Reply #399486 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Durant owned Kobe on Saturday. He's in a different stratosphere to him. Looked like an adult playing with kids. Was amazing to watch

Reply #399492 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Thank you for your insight once again, Ingles. Can you list the things that Kobe is actually good at?

Reply #399551 | Report this post

Quagmire  
Years ago

"The best one on one"

Me thinks that there is a girl in Denver who has had better....

But this claim is a self assessment, and 90% of people believe they are above average at self assessments.

Reply #399553 | Report this post

Who Me  
Years ago

Do we think LeBron may have been shown this article today?

I know it wasn't "1 on 1", but 17/25 F/G's to 8/25, in a head to head match up!!

Reply #399559 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

He's good at missing a lot of shots.

Lebron and Wade made Kobe look like a little boy today. This article is laughable.

Reply #399560 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

Interesting that Kobe never 'verbally' challenged Jordan despite MJ being past his prime for many of their games. Shows he knew better than that!

Kobe's been very forthcoming promoting his 'inner calm' in sit downs with Steven A. Smith and now Palmer.

Pehaps he needs to get p*&%ed off again to lift LA.

Reply #399564 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

TMac responds on Twitter:

LOL Hell no! That's far from the truth. No one in the NBA is playing 1 on 1. Me and KB never went to Germany together either..

Reply #399570 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Either he's taking the piss, or it's all in his head, Jordan-style.

Reply #399572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe could never beat Jordan, Shaq or LeBron in a one on one.

I would've loved to have seen prime MJ destroy him. Kobe forgets MJ was much more athletic than he ever was, stronger, better shooter, better defender etc.

Reply #399608 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Kobe could rape MJ easy

Reply #399618 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

what about that women in colorado who won that one Kobe?

Reply #399632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heat win 99-90 in LA yesterday.

James: 39p, 8a, 7r, 3s, 17/25 fg, 1/2 3p

Kobe: 22p, 4r, 1a, 6to, 8/25 fg, 4/9 3p

lol

Reply #399667 | Report this post

Moron > Ingles13  
Years ago

Hey ingles remember how you said Chris Paul is the reason why clippers arewhere they are? I said it was more about depth and a lot of good guards would have the same record. You basically laughed at that. Look at their results minus Paul? Easy wins as Bledsoe covered nicely.

Look at curry? Lose both games without him yet win today with him back.

Once again you don't know jacksht. Keep listening to skip for your arguments cause it will continue to make you look like a douche.

Reply #399757 | Report this post

Guns  
Years ago

David Robinson and Olajuwon would probably beat most. Tall, fast and good shooters.

Reply #399763 | Report this post

Moron > Ingles13  
Years ago

Not sure Jordan more athletic than Kobe.

Reply #399799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go and watch the dunk comps in the 80's if you're too young to know how athletic Jordan was.

Reply #399803 | Report this post

Moron > Ingles13  
Years ago

They raved about his dunk from the foul line.

Kobe dunked on someone a foot inside the foul line. James white was dunking two hands from the foul line before college.

Not saying Jordan wasn't an awesome player, just saying not the greatest athlete to play the game.

Reply #399809 | Report this post

Dr6  
Years ago

Time to get EA Sports onto the Kobe vs LBJ argument

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jordan_vs._Bird:_One_on_One

Reply #399982 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

lol this kobetard is back defending his 17-23 boy

Reply #399989 | Report this post

Moron > Ingles13  
Years ago

Which kobetard is that? You referring to me?

Reply #400023 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

Ingles, I assume you have no comment on todays Clippers / Warriors result in which CP3 was clearly outplayed by Step Curry in the loss??

Reply #400167 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

When NBA games are decided by which team includes the best one-on-one player then Kobe will finally get the respect that he thinks he is due. Until then: whatever, Kobe.

Reply #400183 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

a topic about kobe bryant and his one on one skills has to get shifted to a debate about curry/cp3 because kobe fans know that Kobe is becoming a detriment to his team and have to shift the subject.

And if you would seriously take Curry over CP3, then please just stop talking basketball.

Reply #400207 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

But you would take CP3's career when its all said done, instead of Kobe's?

Ingles13 = Tard

Reply #400214 | Report this post

Moron > Ingles13  
Years ago

Yeah I brought up curry v Paul debate and clown ingles has no back up for it. Warriors beat clips again and curry owned Paul again.

Where's your agruments ingles? You come on here like an arrogant piece of crap that's educating us (your words). You laughed when I said curry has been more of an MVP for the warriors than Paul to clippers. Then you turned around and said curry isn't even the best player on his team. Still waiting to hear your answer to that.

I'll keep pushing you cause you think you're a know it all, when in reality you're an espn regurgitator that knows nothing.

You deflect to Kobe and kobetards as you don't have the knowledge to offer anything else. I am a kobetard, I support him and the lakers through the poor times like now cause they and him have given lakers supporters a lot of happiness.

Where you been with your harden love in the last 8 games? Pretty quiet hey. Read espn footnote for rockets win today. They mention harden as main contributor but like you, neglect to mention 25% from the floor.

Ingles how does it feel to be unlked. Do u really have friends?

Reply #400223 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/attachments/mens-basketball/16422d1353121053-royce-white-prepared-leave-nba-1.jpeg

^

Reply #400254 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Never said Curry wasn't a good player. I just said David Lee is probably more important, but you can make the case for either. I haven't seen a whole lot of Warriors nor am I a Warriors follower so I wouldn't really know exactly how they have gone in games I have not seen them play.'

But saying Curry is more important than CP3 is a really bad troll.

I'm proud you're sticking by your lakers in times like these. I know plenty of people I see that have jumped off the lakers support because they are glory hunters (like a lot of lakers 'supporters').

Harden has been bad recently. No doubt about it. But I was making a case 2 weeks ago, when he WAS in the MVP discussion. I can't defend him after the last 7 or 8 games, because he hasn't played well, but that doesn't mean he was a top 5 MVP candidate before. It's also the first time Harden has played major minutes in the NBA as a legit #1 option. I guess having a pretty average team has caught up to the rockets and they are struggling in the tough west.

Now back to the original topic. Kobe claiming he is the best 1 on 1 player in the league, or however he describes it. Since then, he has been outplayed by Lebron, suffered against the raptors (lol) and then got locked up by the rookie Jimmy Butler today. All while shooting under 33% in each of the last 3 games. That makes the Kobe led lakers 2-9 this year I believe.

Reply #400257 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Someone's gotta ask MDA, who was dominating team USA in the Gold medal game at the Olympics and forcing double teams quite often... Was it Pau Gasol or Earl Clark?

Reply #400258 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:14 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754