Isaac
Years ago

Sabres stop Bearcats twice

Sturt women won 71-60. The three Bowleys were in double figures (Brigid 21 and 6, Monique 18 and 14, and Hannah 12 and 9), while Leah Mencel had 16 and 4 steals for West. The difference was on the boards (56-43) and in field accuracy (42%-30%).

In the men's game, Oscar Forman posted 19 first half points on 8/13 shooting, but was scoreless in the second half to finish with 19 and 16. Ben Evans was a solid contributor for the Bearcats, nailing 3 long bombs in a short period. The Sabres led 69-51 at half-time, but the scoring pace slowed after that and West got the margin down to single figures courtesy of Danny Phillips (20, 5 assists) and Blake Truslove (18 and 13).

Darren Ng, however, restored order with 21 second half points and the home team won 107-96. 61-57 on the boards. 47%-42% from the field.

Paul Bell had 24 and 9 including 3/4 from outside, but 1/9 FT. Worked his usual magic. I thought Truslove was very average early on, but stepped up in the second half. Ben Evans was the best for West in my opinion with some great moves. Phillips loves shooting threes so much that it's hilarious to watch sometimes (6-15 from outside!).

Sabres had a wider spread of scorers. After 28 from Darren and 19 from Oscar, David Shepherd was decent with 14 and Hackendorf and Benson were also good (13 and 12 respectively. Benson had 7 boards.) Sturt played a second game without Paul Bauer (groin injury).

Topic #3057 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who would you say were the top 4 performers in this game and who had a dirty night?

Reply #35080 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think anyone had a shocker. Gower would've wanted to make more than 4-13 (still, 32 HSA). Ng was quiet early and Forman was 0-7 after half-time, but still had 19 and 16.

Hard to name top four. For West, Ben Evans was my pick and after that Bell, Phillips and Truslove were fairly even. Ng and Forman were best for the Sixers (Forman was dominating early) and Shepherd, Hackendorf and Benson were all solid.

Maybe Evans, Bell, Ng and Forman?

Truslove got the wine for West MVP, and Oscar got it for Sturt. I guess they figured Blake's second half got the Bearcats back in the game. Still, I thought that the Bearcats would've been 30+ points down at half-time if it wasn't for Evans and Bell's outside shooting.

Reply #35124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where is the men's box score?

Reply #35183 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The stats for the mens game were reconstructed from two individual halves. I have a final box score, but the minutes played is for a single half only -- if I enter it into the system, it's going to screw up the points per 48 minutes data, etc.

If anyone has those individual half printouts, please fax them to me (email for the number) and I'll manually add the times in.

Reply #35189 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Thanks to Lil' Ricky C, I've been faxed the boxscore halves and will enter the missing data and get this online.

This is probably a good time to thank all of those people who send through boxscores after games, or try to track down missing ones during the week. Appreciated by everyone who uses the stats pages I think. Cheers.

Reply #35301 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:20 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754