Isaac
Years ago

Crosswhite wins Round 15 NBL POTW

I reckon this one could be contentious:

It was a master class of efficient scoring and rebounding presence from the 210cm centre, contributing 27 points and 13 rebounds in the nail-biting 77-74 loss to the Melbourne Tigers at the Kingdome on Friday night.

Crosswhite matched his career-high of 27 points on the remarkable shooting of 11-of-12 from the field in what was the 30-year-old's best display of the season.

Tigers’ star import Jonny Flynn had his best scoring night of the season, notching up 27 points, seven rebounds and five assists in the road win over Sydney.

Adris '2Hard2Guard’ Deleon had a big weekend for the injury-hit Hawks on their two-game road trip, including 34 points, six assists and four rebounds in the one-point loss in New Zealand on Thursday night.

Wildcats’ Shawn Redhage (26 points on 9-of-14 shooting and seven rebounds) and Townsville guard Gary Ervin (26 points on 8-of-14 shooting and four assists) were among the other leading NBL Player of the Week contenders.
Good stats, but in a home loss. Thought there was some good options in Flynn (road win), Redhage and Ervin.

Topic #30602 | Report this topic

Big Marty  
Years ago

Don't get me wrong, Crosswhite had a good line for that game, but you've got to give a POTW award to someone who actually won a game.

I think it should have been Flynn getting that award. Great all around game from him and his team won.

Reply #400138 | Report this post

UP North  
Years ago

Adris' game vs NZ was way better than Crossy's if we are going to give it to someone who was on a losing team!

Jonny Flynn, Ervin & Redhage all were at least equal to him and their teams won!

oh brother!

Reply #400139 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I like giving it to a player whose team won but Crosswhite's game was exceptional, probably the second best in the league this year. Not only look at his stats (PER 41!) but look at his opponents' stats.

I would have hated to see Flynn, who shot 35% and had six turnovers, get the award.

Reply #400143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deleon took 24 shots to get his 34 points! Crossy took 12, connecting on 11, add that to his 13 boards and he had a monster of a game. Even though Deleon shot at 50% there were numerous times he should have given the ball up to a Hawk player in a better position.

More than happy with Crossy getting the gong. Redhage had a good game but against and insipid Cairns outfit. Ervin however can consider himself a little unlucky.

Reply #400154 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

To be fair to Deleon, he was:

- starting for the first time this season
- down his two usual starting backcourt partners
- basically had Demos as his sidekick
- on the road, in another country
- up against the top team at full strength
- taking on the toughest defender in the league
- shot at 54% for a guard which in any other comparison would be very favourable

Not saying he was POTW favourite given the second game, I think it's harsh to talk down that effort too much.

Reply #400159 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Deleon needed 35 points not 34 so he's out and I agree with Paul Re:Flynn having to many turnovers.
Crosswhite was to efficient not to get it despite the loss.

Jackson must be getting pretty close to being a lock for Regular Season MVP imo.

Reply #400162 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

"Deleon needed 35 points not 34 so he's out"

So because he didn't single-handedly win the game for the Hawks, that counts him out? What if it was Sav who iced the game for the Hawks from the line - would that make Deleon "out" too?

Reply #400163 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

He hogged the ball for most of the game and took contested shots when he had team mates open and when he had the oppotunity to send the game to OT he choked. So yes he needed 35 points not 34.

"What if it was Sav who iced the game for the Hawks from the line - would that make Deleon "out" too?"

what if Cedric Jackson could fly around the rafters with pink smoke coming out of his arse?

Reply #400166 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Not sure if that would bring in more or less fans there Mystro ;)

Reply #400168 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Why don't you provide the other reasons to exclude him first, instead of some crap about missing a free throw, which is plain dumb.

If you can't understand why I threw in a hypothetical that's your problem.

Reply #400169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Typical Mystro dribble! Wouldn't worry too much 'The Situation'

Reply #400173 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I did, he ball hogged and then choked.

"If you can't understand why I threw in a hypothetical that's your problem."

ah no, it's you who has the problem with the choker not me, I was stoked when he missed that freethrow to send it to OT.
I think Crosswhite who shot the ball incredibly well along with doing all the other things, rebounding, boxing out, playing defence etc was a well deserving winner of POTW.

Reply #400176 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

No you didn't. The reason you gave was that he didn't score the winning bucket. You added the bit about hogging the ball later.

So all things considered, if a guy plays a great game, but ends up not being able to hit the winning shot, that automatically counts him out?

And thats why I asked what if he wasn't involved in the last second shot? What if Sav hit it? Where does that leave him?

Reply #400179 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

yes generally I would say losing doesn't help your cause for POTW.
If Deleon had hit the game winner or Sav had in your hypothetical dream world that mirrors reality, Crosswhites numbers are still better so it still leaves him as a Ball Hog with no award.

Reply #400191 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

normally I wouldn't have agreed with Crosswhite winning it either, as he was on a losing team (I don't really rate losing) but he played exceptionally well which his numbers back up.

Reply #400192 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

SMH

Reply #400199 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Mystro, I'm not trying to make a case for Deleon to win the award. I was trying to work out why you think that him not hitting the game winner automatically excludes him.

You still don't understand what the analogy was for either, but you haven't said much which makes sense here so I didn't think you'd grasp it.

Reply #400205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dear Mystro, I really hate the Beakers and wish them all the worst for their up coming finals campaign. Thank you for listening...

Reply #400210 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

The Situation, :facepalm:

Reply #400213 | Report this post

X  
Years ago

Correct call, NBL.

Reply #400239 | Report this post

Jeff  
Years ago

Let it go Mystro, the Situation obviously wants to bum Deleon.

Reply #400274 | Report this post

Jeff  
Years ago

Let it go Mystro, the Situation obviously wants to bum Deleon.

Reply #400275 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:12 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754