OFFSEASON
Years ago

Big V rumours

Lets get some information on whats happening around Big V.
Lets start with I hear Little team down by the river soon to announce Import.

Topic #30608 | Report this topic

anon  
Years ago

Liam Norton has left Eltham for Corio Bay. With the Stingers also getting Hicks from Nunawading surely they are the team to beat in Championship?

Reply #400324 | Report this post

Highlighter  
Years ago

Hearing that Bennie Lewis has left Waverley and will be at Hume City CM? Nice addition to their team if so.
Hicks is a huge pickup for Corio Bay, he will take pressure off Reardon and they should be one of the teams to beat.

Reply #400331 | Report this post

OFFSEASON  
Years ago

Whats happening with the women in all divisions,nothing heard from Sherbrook. In Div 1 Whittlesea seem to have recruited well and Altona what will Joe bring with him.

Reply #400338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lewis is not going to Hume.

Reply #400346 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Is that serious about Corio Bay and Norton?

Reply #400362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sure is HO

http://www.bigv.com.au/index.php?id=755&tx_ttnews%5Byear%5D=2013&tx_ttnews%5Bmonth%5D=01&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=3196&cHash=e6659d1b68357ecc2422343bd0ad4c9a

Reply #400372 | Report this post

B-Man  
Years ago

What about Div 1. Has there been any big signings or import news come thru yet?

Reply #400394 | Report this post

OFFSEASON  
Years ago

Team by the Yarra to name an import in comming days!

Reply #400395 | Report this post

B-Man  
Years ago

What about Div 1. Has there been any big signings or import news come thru yet?

Reply #400397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lewis, Brown, Maybank and Bogart-King, all NBL calibre, all at Hume City. Surely they guys have to be on par with Corio?

Reply #400398 | Report this post

BB  
Years ago

NBL calibre??

Are you on crack?

Reply #400402 | Report this post

BobbyO  
Years ago

Bogart-King NBL calibre? haha one of the funnier posts ive seen on here!

Reply #400407 | Report this post

anomn  
Years ago

LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ^

Reply #400411 | Report this post

Tiger Tiger Tiger  
Years ago

From what I've heard about Hume city...
Out: Lowery, Bryar, berzdecky, gatluak gai.
In: kansak, miraflores.
Looks good.... Lol.
And there not getting Lewis, I don't know where that rumor came from.

Reply #400415 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

So does Norton just push Hutchison and Rebula down the bench? Surely Rebula went there in the hope of some serous court time.

Reply #400420 | Report this post

Highlighter  
Years ago

Lewis has signed at Hume.
Agree that Maybank, Bogart King and Brown are not NBL calibre!

Reply #400423 | Report this post

Sting what?  
Years ago

What Stingrays have is good depth this year and players that can play a variety of positions. Team chemistry will be vital for success. Last years league MVP Eric Williams is also coming back to Stingray Stadium.

Reply #400425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hume will end up on the bottom end of the ladder for sure.

Reply #400427 | Report this post

Tiger Tiger Tiger  
Years ago

Melbourne, Sherbrook and bulleen will be battling for last spot. hume not far behind though.

Reply #400430 | Report this post

Sting what?  
Years ago

Eric Williams signs with Stingrays media release
http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-7333-0-0-0&sID=143617&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=21990763

Reply #400431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reblua was always sharing mins with Hutchy. They needed a PG to win it and Norton is the best Guard in Big V so he plays 35plus mins every night and the others will have to take a bit of a back seat if they want to win the championship.

Reply #400450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

About that poster above.

Maybank and Brown are past their time, but both could've played NBL. Brown did.

Bogart-King is not NBL calibre, yet.

They are maturing at the wrong time, if they are going to do anything in the next 3 years it'll be this year, otherwise their imports will be too old.

Reply #400486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^If they aren't already.

Reply #400487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brown hasnt played NBL, sadly he's past his prime, like Maybank, both have seen their best.

Reply #400490 | Report this post

Tiger Tiger Tiger  
Years ago

To be honest Maybank could play NBL no way Brown though.

Reply #400491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL Maybank could not play NBL.... thats hilarious, as a small 2 he has no outside game, he's a slasher and dunker, thats it.

Reply #400493 | Report this post

Tiger Tiger Tiger  
Years ago

I would argue that he does have an outside game and he's 6'4" hows that a small 2 in the NBL. (srs)

Reply #400494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's 6'3" at best, couldnt cut it at SEABL level, can't consistantly score outside, especially against better defenders (which dont exist in BigV) unfortunately he's a one trick pony, without his hops he couldnt score.

Reply #400496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

May bank has stunk it up for last 3 years.....his nickname is Turnover!

Reply #400508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Strange that all these named NBL quality players have never had an NBL shot. A bit like Massingale. Maybe because they aren't up to it. Just sayin.

Reply #400511 | Report this post

OFFSEASON  
Years ago

Could someone please explain to me the benefit of a Div 1 team wanting an american import. The costs would be anormous and what do they get from it. Local players miss out and when the import goes elsewhere which normally happens the club goes down hill, not only on the court but in the eyes of there local community. I see no benefit in it for a Div 1 team.

Reply #400578 | Report this post

CR  
Years ago

@Offseason ...

1. Cos they think they're gonna win Div I with their import.

2. Cos they can make mileage within the Club about how good they are in being able to attract imports.

3. Cos they can make their import work at the junior level to improve their junior teams.

4. All of the above.

Has been comment in the past that imports at Div I or below of Big V are a bit of a nonsense and should be banned.

I think I tend to agree ....

Reply #400583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imports should be restricted from playing Div 1 and below.

Want imports? Enter State Champ.

Reply #400597 | Report this post

B-Man  
Years ago

You only have to go to a place like Mildura and see what imports can do. They has well over 1000 people at the grand final there and as a result had a record amount of junior teams enter there summer comp this year.

If you get the right import they coach junior teams, get out to schools and businesses and just promote the game of basketball. Sometimes what they actually do on the court is only a small part of there job.

Reply #400599 | Report this post

OFFSEASON  
Years ago

I agree with all that, country teams I understand get a benefit from imports but in saying that why don't teams like Mildura after winning Div 1 for the past 2 years have a crack at Championship.

Reply #400663 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Offseason, probably because they don't have the talent or future talent to do so.

I don't want to start a thread about the same issue again, but look at what Corio Bay have had to do, and in a much bigger catchment than Mildura.

While they seem to have earned title favouritism this year, they have over 18 months effectively had to recruit an entire team to do it.

I am not crapping on CB, merely pointing out the realities of what they faced to win at Championship level. In the end only one of their juniors was up to it last year - Osborne.

For Mildura, thats even tougher. CB have a chance of keeping their best juniors in the region, Mildura know some of their best 17 and 18 year olds are going to leave town for work or uni.

And, unlike CB, they can't just readily recruit, because that player has to give up work/study somewhere else to make that commitment.

Reply #400683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The main reason clubs recruit outside players and take imports is because they cant develop thier own juniors. Crap junior programs lead to heavy recruiting, pretty simple. One club in SE melb has an aging CM mens team and a pathetic woomens team. The champ men rely on an import or two and outside recruits. The womens team is the only one to have imports and they still cant get close to a title. They have nothing in the junior ranks and thier YL team is full of non junior club players. Doesnt make for a good pathway to Big V at all. Imports for D1 teams seems like a joke but most of these are mates of players or guys who are here anyway but are not up to CM std. If they are following the rules they must pay a import the same amount of money regardless of what division they play in. Maybe some clubs should be audited by the Dept of Imigration to see what the deals are they have place.I get the country teams getting imports as they dont have the talent pool but metro teams/clubs should have a longer term view on program development instead of running around trying to buy a title for a season.

Reply #400716 | Report this post

Sting what?  
Years ago

It is funny reading how Stingrays are now so called title favourites and this time last year we didn't deserve to be in SCM. How things change.

It is a long season and plenty of games to be played. Last year demonstrated that all teams can defeat each other no matter what there record suggests. Should be a very interesting season.

Reply #400732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SCM is pretty simple, get some dollars together and you will increase wins! Remember how Eltham went from bottom to GF in one season, they started spending! I don't think it's either bad or good, it's just the way it goes.

Reply #400734 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Sting What? Lets treat this rationally for a minute.

The reason people gave WHY CB should not have been in Championship was never commented on (to my memory) as a reflection of your competitiveness or capacity to be competitive or win.

In fact, the reason CB have now been adorned as title favourites only reinforces what people said last year. The summary of that was, that given the talent the club had available within itself, without recruiting heavily, the club should not have been in championship. Those circumstances have not changed.

In my view, based on team strength, of course the team should be in championship. That does not change the view that on club strength, they should never have been admitted there in the first place.

Reply #400757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On the topic of junior players: Where are all these great Melbourne Tigers juniors going? They usually have 8 junior teams in each age division. Don't they have an advertisement asking for senior players for their champ mens team? Aren't Sturt and Bennie Lewis former Tigers juniors?

Reply #400802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets be honest, the Tigers dont really have their own juniors, they just poach, i mean attract them from other associations.

Reply #400812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Imports in Div 1, what a joke!
How about the top 4-6 div 1 teams this year would be better than the bottom half of teams in the Warratah and SBL leagues, you wanna ban their imports as well?

This year there will be 10-12 imports in Div1 as it grows stronger and the grassroots levels swell for the medium sized clubs, plus more champ and SEABL players are coming back, some for money and some back to their old clubs who left because at the time there may not have even been a senior program worth playing for.

Besides, the amount of clinics, camps, school visits and promotion the import gives just about pays for itself.

Reply #400832 | Report this post

CR  
Years ago

Thanks Anon, but we're not talking about Waratah (please spell correctly) or other leagues, we are talking about Big V ...

Reply #400979 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Sturt signed at Bulleen

Reply #401707 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

how do you know? ^

Reply #401773 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

The coaching staff told the players at a training session this week....the players/support staff been telling anyone who'd listen that they are now a contender becuase they signed Sturt!

Reply #402034 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Might depend a little bit on who else is on the roster ...

Mind you, seems like there could more more player movement for 2013 than for many years ... might make some of those ranking predictions end up a little out ... or a lot out.

Reply #402569 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Don't think Bulleen will make finals even with Sturt Anon....Only one ball and Useless Qaafow not known for his passing ability! althought Mike Rose is a good pick up for Bulleen still cant see them making finals.

Reply #402580 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

@TW soz, haven't seen Bulleen announce a roster, so I have no idea who is on it.

And Bulleen have hardly been mentioned in this rumours thread, so I am in the dark ...

Reply #402592 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

When you have Standerfer, Yusuf, Sturt and Rose this team is going to compete.

Reply #402593 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Sturt & Standerfer can both play.....Yusuf wasn't playing a major role at the Tigers hence he left after only last a few weeks with Geeling in SEABL so one has to question him be mentioned a a player who'll make them compete.

Mike Rose can play hence his NBL & NZBL stints....still got a minor issue with depth and coaching at bulleen

Reply #402610 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

@TW thought Tom Maher was looking after all the coaching at Bulleen ...

Reply #402623 | Report this post

Sting what?  
Years ago

Ringwood have finally announced their import signing in Bryan Dougher and reported that Sturt won't even be returning to Melbourne (No Bulleen I assume)

http://www.maroondahweekly.com.au/story/1276896/big-v-ringwood-hawks-find-scorer-to-replace-mvp/?cs=1217

Found a highlight video on Youtube, has a very quick release.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylSIHb4PMmw

Reply #402884 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

@anon - Maher has no say on the Men's side

Reply #402903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tiger Watcher: sorry but your not right, Tom conducted all the interviews for the coaches roles and has a huge say in what goes on, how else would he be able to control all the money being channeled from the juniors to his WNBL team.

Reply #402907 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Maher isn't invloved in the Big V mens program.....they are left to run there own show in terms on sponsorship, coaching, players & money etc.

Reply #402913 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

In the Herald Sun looks like a different story with Sturt. He will be back but maybe not by the the beginning of the season. Joined last year mid way through.

Reply #402922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Given how short the bigv season is he probably wont get back to qualify for finals anyway.

Reply #402924 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Sturt will be coming home! His agent Daniel Moldovan has been shopping him around.

Reply #402926 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Well then, who is saying Bulleen has signed Sturt ?

According to #907 all of Bulleen's money is going into WNBL.

Reply #402927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt hasnt signed anywhere yet.

Reply #402928 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

^According to @TW at #401707 he has ...

@TW seems to have the word on all happenings at Bulleen.

Reply #402936 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

They annouced at training that & i quote "we have signed Sturt"

Plus few players and certain coaching staff being talking it up! so happy that the info i got is solid.

Only reason they haven;t annouced it is they are finalising issues re the shorten season and finals quals as per the above Anon mentioned

Reply #402938 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

@TW well if you have the inside mail, I saw good work mate !

But from the Ringwood announcement on their new import, sounds like he hasn't told them.

And if Bulleen have signed him, at best it's only for half the season.

LOL, at least this thread is warming up a bit !

Reply #402946 | Report this post

Sting what?  
Years ago

The rumours are true. Sturt to Bulleen.
http://bigv.com.au/index.php?id=755&tx_ttnews%5Byear%5D=2013&tx_ttnews%5Bmonth%5D=02&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=3219&cHash=ae45bdc85bb0ed39cb79a69a7064d647

Reply #403270 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Yep rumours are true.....Beston to Waverley next week

Reply #403273 | Report this post

Sting what?  
Years ago

Bulleen sign ex Melbourne Tigers import Mike Rose. On paper they are extremely big and a strong outfit. Would have to be the biggest improvers if not title favourites.
http://bigv.com.au/index.php?id=755&tx_ttnews%5Byear%5D=2013&tx_ttnews%5Bmonth%5D=02&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=3234&cHash=ace82708e9b759b95714dd4b292d5832

Reply #405334 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Gee what's in the water at Bulleen this season.

They really haven't anywhere in men's champ for years, now something seems to have exploded.

I thought Corio Bay were duly annointed title favourites ... LOL ...

Reply #405338 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Bulleen haven't got anyone to play the PG which is pretty much a key spot....a a big who can guard the low block would help them as well.

Still Corio are clear faves with Waverley, Ringwood then it is still a fight between Bulleen/Hume for the 4th spot.

Reply #405459 | Report this post

warrior  
Years ago

Mildura Heat have signed Calvin Henry and I hear they have signed Terrell Bell out of the A.C.C from Virginia Tech sounds like a good combo for Big V D1 if they are as good as they look on the highlight tapes. We have played them for the last 3 years and they seem to get lucky with the imports they pick.

Reply #406929 | Report this post

OFFSEASON  
Years ago

Must be plenty Cha Ching around Warrandyte, Imports for both the Women and men teams.

Reply #406936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But according to the mouth they dont pay anyone at Venom !! Wonder how they get imports through the dept of imigration rules if they dont pay them.

Reply #406976 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Dont they have to find employment for them while they're here. Dont think they have to be paid any other way, unless a sponsor has put the money up to cover costs?

Reply #407109 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

They put them on a working holiday or Business VISA as a work around so the "club" aren't paying them.

Really is a bit of a joke as everyone knows that the venom pay!

Reply #407127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you will find they are on sports visa's which means they MUST be paid a minimum amount under a contract. You cant get any other type of visa especially if they have ben brought out just to play.
Its all on the immigration web site so its easy to check.

Reply #407134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its VERY hard to get them here on a Working Visa at short notice, so either a Travel Visa which means they are NOT allowed to be paid under any circumstance (read hush hush under the table which is why clubs deny they're paying them)or Sports visa which means min of about 16K for 6 months.

Reply #407137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BigV have a rule prohibiting any payment being made to any Import that isn't on a Sports Visa, clearly they don't enforce that rule.

Reply #407138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big V dont enforce many rules at all really.

Reply #407188 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:37 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754