Mystro
Years ago

Breakers Vs Wildcats

Should be the game of the season, 1st Vs 2cnd and a rematch of last seasons Grand Final.

Perth have pulled NZ's pants down twice so far this season by decent margins. Nz are 1 game up on Perth so if NZ win they get a 2 game buffer and then with only 1 game left between the clubs they would have to rely on someone else beating NZ for Perth to claim the minor premiership and home court for the play offs. If Perth win NZ still have a shot at home court advantage in the last game. Can't see NZ pulling back the series but they don't need to as I can't see the season split coming into play.
To get the win NZ will need a big game from Abercrombie and the 3 ball to drop for Bruton and Corletto.

Breakers by 2 with home court (Vector should have sold out by then, was only 1000 tickets left yesterday)

Topic #30668 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

You'd have to say that although the Championship itself won't be decided by this game, winning it will get you halfway there.

Reply #401416 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I will feel pretty confident of the 3peat happening if NZ gets homecourt advantage and if they win this game they should get the minor premiership.
Cats aren't going to lay down though.

Reply #401435 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

The Breakers have announced via FB that they have sold out 7,700 tickets so they have decided to erect Vector Arena's Eastern Stand for Friday's game. This means there will be a further 700 tickets available, taking capacity to just over 8,500.
It's not quite the capacity of Perths new arena but def a decent crowd for basketball in rugby mad Auckland.

Reply #401446 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Tovey to miss the game. Won't be a problem from a scoring point of view, but he is very valuable on the boards and pushing the ball up the court. Big loss.

Reply #401452 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

He would have prob got the job of guarding Abercrombie yes/no?

Reply #401461 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Hire has been starting, but yes, he would seem like a likely match-up.

Reply #401469 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Huge game. Cant wait.

I thought the capacity at Vector was 9,100? Anyway, really glad its being played there to what should be a sold out crowd for a game that deserves a big audience.

I really hope the Perth media (looking at you Channel 7) get behind this game and give it the build up it deserves also. I know Channel 10 and 9 will support it.

Without a doubt the game of the season so far.

Reply #401470 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Game of the season...

Not being shown on TV on Friday night..

Reply #401487 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

There hasn't been a regular season game between these two on tv for the past three years, or something.

Reply #401489 | Report this post

Cats82  
Years ago

Just want the players to decide the game not the refs! Should be a cracker! Tovey out means gd news, he has gone 2 shite the past 2 seasons. Perth havnt played a game as a fully fit team. I think the differnce why perth has beaten nz, is wilkinson not there! I still belive come playoffs on a mini series they are gona miss him! Would be nice if had a repeat of last yrs gf! I realy cant and might be wrong saying this, but nz and perth deserve 2 be top 2! For what they do on and off court! Bring it on!

Reply #401490 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

"Tovey out means gd news, he has gone 2 shite the past 2 seasons"

#ignorant

Reply #401492 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Tovey brings a bit of length and athletism defensively otherwise Abercrombie will just pull up and elevate with that mid range J of his.

Wilkinson was good offensively especially from outside but I like our D with Pledger/Hudson.

This is gonna be a great game, can't believe it isn't going to be on tv in Staya especially as both teams have a few days of clear daylight between them and the rest of the comp. I'm just glad it's a Sky Sports production instead of NBL t.V so they won't cut to a Coach when someone is scoring and the score will pop up on the screen as will the shot clock and when there is a highlight play, we will get to see it again.

Reply #401493 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Yeah disappointed it ain't on tv aswell.

Reply #401536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought Vector held over 9,000 seats too?

Reply #401561 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I believe they have to bring in extra seating to hold that many, which they did from last year's GF. I think it's 7,700 for seating which is there, and then they have to pay to bring in extras. Someone who knows better please feel free to add/correct.

Reply #401562 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

It's funny I've seen Perth dominate Breakers in both games this season and I been crying out for this game to come fully believing wildcats would destroy the breakers again but as the game gets closer I'm beginning to feel it will be a lot closer and I think other teams have been playing Breakers into form of late (they were shocking against Townsville and Adelaide a few rounds back)

Without Tovey it will be interesting to see if the Wildcats go big or small when 'Greg 4 Hire' is off the court. I think Rhys Carter will see some minutes against Abercrombie

Reply #401626 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Breakers offense was woeful early in the season when Perth owned them. It is now starting to flow and the shots are dropping especially from beyond the arc which will be needed against Perths zone.

Reply #401634 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

This is the type of game you dream of as a promoter !

Reply #401644 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Yep if only the NBL could promote! Nothing yet on the NBL website about this game. How on earth is mainstream media going to get on board if its own league wont promote it!

Hopefully there'll be some last minute build up before the game actually starts.
At least its sold out and theres a bit of a buzz in Perth and i imagine Auckland will be talking about it already...

Reply #401706 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

All over print media and tv in NZ.

Reply #401717 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Good item on the 6pm news sports segment here in NZ with the Breakers training down at Atlas place. They got some comments from Corletto and Bruton and then some quotes from Bevo all just talking up the rivalry between them. I expect the media will all be at training tomorrow also.

Shaping up for a decent game, lets hope the refs let the teams decide who wins rather than their whistles.
Massive shame that you guys don't get the kind of coverage we get.

Reply #401749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the cats might get up this game. NZ have not been very convincing at times and only just got over the line in a lot of games after allowing the opposition a big lead. Meanwhile the cats have cruised to victories in the last few weeks and looked very dominant. The last game against the crocs they were ordinary offensively but it could be just an off night and a good wake up call for the breakers game. In saying that, they will most likely drop the next game at home against wollongong because of the short 2 day turn around and long flight back will prove extremely difficult. Thus cancelling out the good win against the breakers.

Reply #401809 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

the Breakers are 17/3 and playing the best they have all year. #3peat

Reply #401824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe, on the other hand you guys had a get out of jail against Townsville same as we did.

Reply #401855 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

we've used up all the "get out of jail" cards in this seasons monopoly game. Sydney, Wollongong, Townsville have all come down to the wire. Winning is winning though and NZ have done well to get the important wins over perth (the Semi series and last seasons Finals series).
If NZ continue to shoot well I think they will get the W, if not Perth are going home with the bragging rights and a serious mental edge heading into the playoffs.

Reply #401860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, you'd have to think that there would be some headspace problems if the Breakers let the Cats take the series outright, including two wins on home court.

Although who knows, might just fire them up at crunch time.

Reply #401863 | Report this post

Cats82  
Years ago

Just wori when u the time comes! Perth can win it home or away! Come finals time dont realy care where home court is.

Reply #401967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rhys Carter has gone backwards

Reply #402096 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

This is a frikkin embarrassing performance by the Cats

Reply #402097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Congrats on the three-peat, Breakers.

Barring a Hawksesque run of injuries, this season is over.

Reply #402098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Honestly Cats.

Also, does anyone know why Carter warrants a 6? Performances over the last two games have been little better than your average development player.

Reply #402099 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

He has been shite so far but give the guy some time to settle in. Tough stage of the season to come into a team with high expectations.

Reply #402100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trying to be patient but...

I suppose any team is going to get rogered when their opponents can shoot 50% from beyond the arc.

Have seen some us cop some absolutely flukey 3pt shots over the last couple games...

Reply #402101 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Hard to accuse the Breakers shooting of being flukey when so many of their shots were wide open. Sure a couple of those Cedric 3s were lucky, but other than that it was just solid shooters doing their thing.

Reply #402102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh, was just thinking of the Crocs getting a one from a few steps in from half court last week.

Obviously they can shoot the lights out - they demonstrated that last week as well. Guess our game against the Crocs was a worse omen than I thought.

Reply #402104 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Great win and it goes a long way towards home court come the playoffs.
Solid performance from the Breakers bench especially Webster but Leon Henry contributed well and Jackson was his usual Mr Amazing and must be a lock for MVP by now (how deep was that trey on the shotclock?!).

18/3 and 10 in a row

Reply #402105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, if he's not a lock he's the front-runner by far.

That game will provide HCA. HCA in finals intensity and crowds = 3peat. Not happy but can't argue!

Reply #402106 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Rhys Carter has gone backwards"

Of course he has! So has Liam Rush. If you spend years in a lowly comp it's generally going to be hard to step back up.

Give him some time though.

Reply #402107 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Breakers are just a class above the rest. The Wildcats are the only team that can take it up to NZ, but in the end the breakers have an extra gear that no other team can go to when they're hot.

HCA is locked up in my opinion, but the title is still there to be won for the Wildcats.

RE TV Coverage - is Channel 10 simply not interested in taking on the Sky Sports feed?? I know they don't care about ratings obviously (otherwise they would have found a way to show this game) and are happy to do nothing for the league, but they would have saved themselves production costs surely if they showed this game, rather than put on the snooze fest that was by showing the two coldest teams right now, headed by the boring Carfino, in front of a half full stadium.

Would have been a great advert for the league to show the top two teams, who have a genuine rivalry in front of a packed 9500 fans in an NBA quality atmosphere. But then, it's another waste of an opportunity to help grow the league. Seriously, it's an 8 team league, and the only broadcaster in Australia refuses to show NZ home games. It's bloody poor. It's like Ch 7 not showing Collingwood or Hawthorn from the MCG for no reason at all.

Reply #402173 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Piss off, Gerard.

Reply #402833 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:22 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754