Anon
Years ago

Triple M - Smyth on 36ers radar

Triple M have reported that management have been in discussions with Phil after deciding to keep Clarke until the end of this season

Is this a real chance or a bit like talk about Port signing Williams again

Topic #30678 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would love to see Smyth coach again, love for it to happen right now, anyone is an upgrade on Clarke, maybe we didnt appreciate what we had in Phil, the last 2 coaches since him havent acheived anything close to what Phil did.

If true i say Welcome back Phil, and thank god your here!

Reply #401640 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Isn't Smyth tied up with an organisation that has had a few changes lately?

Reply #401643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah he didnt do so well there either apparently.

Reply #401645 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Smyth had great results in his time, but I don't think he's the man for the role now.

There are plenty of great coaches out there that would thrive with the talent we have.

Reply #401649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sign him up! I would definitely support the move, how boring have the sixers been since Smyth has been gone? bring back some excitement into the ARENA and the fans will come!

Reply #401654 | Report this post

Dr6  
Years ago

How are they even talking about a new coach when the team ownership and stadium ownership are up in the air - wouldnt you secure the foundation first before building on it?

Reply #401656 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Should have thrown him in 3-4 weeks ago see what he could do with this group and remainder of season.

Good chance to see if it is worth than having him head coach going forward.

Only issue of course is paying out clarke.

Reply #401657 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

So if Smythe isnt the man who is?

Reply #401660 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

Would love the great man to come back. Ticks all the boxes IMO and havent seen the crowd up and about since his has gone. You only need to hear him speak to know that he will make us much much better. Fingers crossed !

Reply #401663 | Report this post

Rabbit  
Years ago

Hah,

If the 36ersare looking to lose twice as much money as they already do it 'might' be a good idea.

Smyth would be fin in Perth or NewZealand where he can buy a championship.

All he ended up doing in Adelaide was moaning that his budget go cut and that it wasnt his fault they were losing.

His last stint with the 36ers sent the whole of Basketball in SA into bankrupcy, from which junior basketball is now making a profit while a shoe string budget 36ers lose money hand over fist.

Reply #401664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely Smyth would release the offensive shackles on this current group far better than the highly complex & convoluted offensive systems that Marty imposes on this group. Gibbo in particular looks very frustrated in the current offensive systems & if released could be very dangerous in a Smyth like offensive system!

Reply #401666 | Report this post

Rabbit  
Years ago

And they wouldnt play a lick of defence and would give up 100 points per game and rarely win.

Reply #401667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rabbit, his last stint also brought us 3 championships.

Reply #401672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rarely win? what about our team these days? what you say they are doing ATM?

Reply #401673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

errr no on so many fronts

Reply #401674 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

Bringing back Phil would a bit like the saying
"You can return to a place, but not to a time"

The General had a good run coaching the Sixers, but at the end of his tenure, fans were almost as vocal in criticism as they are now with Clarke.

Time for the Sixers to reboot and have a fresh start.

Reply #401677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah a 'fresh start' maybe we can find the next Marty Clarke...

Reply #401678 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Smythe should only have been considered as an interim this season when we sacked Marty. Oh wait, we didn't do that, did we? That way we could have auditioned him to see if he could still cut it.

Reply #401679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^Rabbit^^ - How good is the 6ers defense these days? They can't defend the pick n roll FFS under Clarke's expert tutelage!

Reply #401681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey Wright would be a great move also!!

Reply #401682 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Joey Wright or Gleeson

Reply #401684 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

I would be happy with Phil as a senior assistant to a fresh faced coach. Bring in someone like Rupert Sapwell or Brett Maher and give them the support of a championship calibre coach to guide them.

Reply #401689 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Agree with Dr6.

Let just make sure we have a team next season before worrying about players and coaches

Reply #401690 | Report this post

dx  
Years ago

The name Smyth would bring a lot of the casual fans back in the doors to begin with but results would need to happen right away to keep them there.

A Smyth/Maher combo would certainly create some buzz.

Reply #401721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No. That is all.

Reply #401724 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

What about a Smyth head roll for year, where he cuts back to assistant the next year bringing in somebody such as a Maher/Green/Sapwell, etc... Get some butts in seats at least, and would win more games than this year, plus hopefully create a better atmosphere at the club again

Reply #401733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

only one choice J Wright

Reply #401762 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@Ricey..

The atmosphere at the club is fine at the moment.

Daryl and the board support the team as is, the players also support the Coaching staff.

Just missing the wins which will naturally come when the team gels next season.

Reply #401763 | Report this post

bk  
Years ago

Yeah the team will magically gel next season cos Marty will be gone.

Reply #401765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahahaha the last two comments just LOLOLOL ^^^^^^^ oh you guys are funny and good at trying to stir us up . @Marcus Camby , are you related to either Marty Clarke or Mark Radford ? Gosh your a funny Bugga you cheeky little f#%*

Reply #401767 | Report this post

Vespa  
Years ago

I've said it before and I will say it again.

SHUTUP MARCUS CAMBY!!!!

How does Marty Clarkes c*^k taste in the morning?

Fact. And write this down. Take a picture, I don't care !
MARTY CLARKE WILL NOT BE COACHING THE 36ERS
NEXT SEASON !

so please tell me if you honestly believe the board support
him and have not sacked him due to not having the $ to pay him out
and hire another coach. What do you think the boards reasons will be when
he is not resigned?

Reply #401771 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Crikey Marcus,

I reckon you don't even need to bait up anymore. When people see a post from you the knives come out.

I thought I was a good baiter, but you are the master baiter.

Reply #401775 | Report this post

bk  
Years ago

I was actually poking fun at the fact Marcus believes the team has not gelled yet and it's not Marty's coaching

Reply #401784 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Have to applaud Marcus' trolling efforts: very good stuff.

Reply #401795 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Marcus, can you please stop tarnishing that name, I am a Knicks fan, and every time you post it makes me hate the real Marcus a little bit more

Reply #401814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

haha Marcus, you are a gun. By now everyone knows you are trolling, and you STILL manage to get a ton of bites everytime. Brilliant stuff!

Reply #401838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The team well and truly doesnt support the coaching staff. Especially mark Radford, who talks to much and yet says nothing.

Reply #401840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One thing you will not see is a Smyth/Maher combination as coaches. One needs the other but not the other way round!

Reply #401843 | Report this post

dx  
Years ago

One thing that Phil did well was get good imports who performed well under him. In the 11 seasons with Phil we saw 10 imports come to the club.

Darnell Mee - 131 games, averaged around 15 points, 7 boards, 5 assists, 2 steals and a block a game. STAR Import
Kevin Brooks – 98 games, avearged around 19 points, 6 boards, 6 assists and a steal each game. STAR Import
Willie Farley – 131 games, averaged around 22 points, 4 boards, 3 assists and 2 steals a game. STAR Import
Matt Garrison – 28 games, averaged 11 points, 3 boards, 2 assists and a steal a game. DUD Import
Charles Thomas – 63 games, Averaged 17 points, 5 boards, 3 assists and 2 steals a game. SOLID Import
Dusty Rychart – 103 games, Averaged 20 points, 9 boards, 2 assists and a steal a game. STAR Import
Nick Horvath – 33 games, Averaged 19 points, 8 boards, 6 assists and a block a game. SOLID Import
Adam Ballinger – 30 games, Averaged 23 points, 8 boards, 2 assists and a block a game. STAR Import
Mike Chappell – 15 games, Averaged 11 points, 4 boards, 2 assists a game. DUD Import
Julius Hodge – 12 games, averaged 25 points, 11 boards, 11 assists and 2 steals a game. STAR Import

In the 5 seasons since Phil we have had 13 imports come through (Not including Balls who was already signed and Williamson who never played)

Mark Tyndale - 11 Games, 13 points, 7 boards, 4 assists, 2 steals. AVERAGE Import (Cut Mid season)
Julius Hodge - 9 games, 26 points, 8 boards, 7 assists, 2 steals. STAR Import (Went Stupid)
Rod Grizzard - 19 games, 13 points, 6 boards, 2 assists. DUD Import
John Gilchrist - 25 games, 17 points, 5 boards, 6 assists and 1 steal. SOLID Import (Injured)
Cortez Groves - 28 games, 10 points, 3 boards, 3 assists - DUD Import
Troy Devries - 9 games, 12 points, 4 boards, 4 assists. DUD Import (Cut Mid Season)
Craig Winder - 8 games, 10 points, 4 boards, 3 assists and a steal. DUD Import (Cut Mid Season)
Eddie Shannon - 19 games. 10 points, 3 boards, 4 assists and a steal. AVERAGE Import
Ron Howard - 11 games. 9 points, 2 boards, 1 assist. DUD Import (Cud Mid Season)
Chris Warren - 28 games. 14 points, 2 boards, 3 assists and a steal. AVERAGE Import
Diamon Simpson - 27 games. 14 points, 9 boards, 1 assist, 1 steal and 2 blocks. SOLID/STAR Import.
CJ Massingale - 10 games. 4 points, 1 board. DUD Import
Scott Christopherson - A few games so far. DUD Import

Not one player has played more than one season and only 2/13 have actually played a full season.

Reply #401883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea Smyth was great at picking imports, even if he isnt coaching, get him involved with import selection. He had 8/10 decent imports, with 6 being stars, soo much better than Clarkes record of picking imports, and as the guys Smyth Mee, Brooks, Farley, etc had and guys like Lisch and Jackson are showing now having a star/MVP level import goes along way to helping you win a title, unfortunatly it doesnt seem the all Australian strategy will work, unless you manage to land a Newley type instead of the import.

Our roster is decent but imagine adding a Jackson level import instead of say Cadee and Johnson, Jackson plus a cheapish Aussie would be better imo, but having Clarke as coach would make Jackson look bad so maybe not.

Bit harsh on Garrison, he was solid imo, just off the bench so wasnt getting massive minutes and stats as a result, just played a role and the team won the title, but the rest i agree with.

Reply #401898 | Report this post

Triton  
Years ago

How much were those guys getting paid?

We cant afford that now.

Common people work it out. 36ers and BSA went broke because of the money that was thrown around during this period to win championhips but lose $2M per year.

Reply #401902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smyth over spent on the salary cap and got caugh
do not want to go down that road again.

Reply #401905 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

dx most of the imports you have accredited to Smyth were already in the NBL and known quantities. Farley is the only one I would attribute his succes to. KB arrived as a 3 year vet of the NBA. Hardly a risky proposition.

Reply #401924 | Report this post

dx  
Years ago

BJF - How many would you say have been a success post Phil?

Reply #401940 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

Not really relevant - your attempted point was that Smyth was a great identifier of import talent and Ninnis and Clarke not.

Fresh off the plane since Smyth I would rate Gilchrist and Simpson. ( Transplant Gilchrist's numbers to this season he would be 3rd in scoring and 2nd in assists)

DeVries was also very solid pre injury but was a known entity in the NBL prior to being a 36er.

Also Grizzard didn't play 19 games for the 36ers he joined the team in round 18 and played the last few games of the season.

Reply #401943 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

You can't really blame Marty for Massingale and Christopherson's low production.

They came in as low pay, low minutes and low impact players.

Just because they are imports does not mean you can compare them to the Brooks's and Mee's.

I think their output is comensurate with their pay and position in the team and shouldn't be considered a dud.

Simply lumping them together as duds gives Marty an (unfairly) lower strike rate than what it actually is.

Reply #401948 | Report this post

bk  
Years ago

The fact is Marty picked both CJ and Scott to play a role he sacked CJ and said he's not what we are looking for, then picked Scott who in my opinion is doing worse than CJ did. So i believe it is fair to include them

Reply #401952 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@BK...

If that list is to highlight all imports, I cannot deny, CJ and SC are imports and can be included.

But if we were to apply some further analysis, we must accept that CJ and SC aren't here as starting minutes / impact players.

Troy Ca$h Money was also better than a 12pts / game man but was hampered, but doesn't show up on stats.

Reply #401960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Hawks seem to be able to find some good imports on the cheap, sorry Marcus but poor scouting by Marty Clarke for CJ & Christopherson.

Reply #401961 | Report this post

Vespa  
Years ago

MC... Don't want to answer my question?

Reply #401964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BJF - I would argue that all the Imports had their best numbers in the NBL when playing under Smyth.

Mee, Rychart, Horvath, Ballinger, Farley, Thomas, Brooks, Hodge.

The only exception being two guys that didnt play full seasons in Garrison and Chappell.

Reply #401965 | Report this post

dx  
Years ago

The above post was me.

Reply #401966 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

@dx the numbers you have posted are incorrect in the few i checked.
not saying that these guys didnt play well but you may be making your judgements on incorrect numbers

Hodge didnt average a triple double for instance, Horvath didnt have 6 assist per game and as stated before Grizz didnt play 19 games.

You also need to discount each import's stats under Smyth by 20% to allow for the shortened 40 minute game

Reply #401973 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

Geez a bit harsh on Matty Garrison. Not a statistically great player but very good at making his teams substantually better by understanding his strengths and playing valuable supporting roles. Guys like that can be more important than "Stud" imports who rack up decent stats but not make their teams better.

Reply #401978 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

yep Garrison stats quoted are incorrect as well

had 15 points in both game 1 and 2 of the 2001 finals in 25 mins of game time in first season at the Hawks he had 17 and 7 not a dud

Reply #401981 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@Anon'961...

Low paid imports are a crapshoot....more so than regular imports.

Most coaches have tried them and have had bad results, not just Marty.

Gordie - Glover and Catron.
Woolpert - The BirdMan.
Anstey - Braswell.

I think if SC were to average around 5 - 8 pts / game in limited minutes, people would be happy, but then measured against Mee / Brooks etc is a bit unfair to label them duds and blame Marty.

As for scouting, well it comes back to the first sentence.

The 6'ers took a chance on a SEABL star, it didn't come off.

SC was reportedly their second choice for CJ replacement and they were probably under heavy pressue to fill the spot due to Creek's unfortunate injury, so that was another gamble given the time pressue and the season slipping away.

Reply #401982 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

Ballinger, Rychart and Garrison would have all been considered cheap imports first year in the league. One of those players wasnt even on 50k first season.
Cheap doesnt necessarily mean bad. Ervin and Mckee were on low wages Deleon too at the Blaze.

Reply #401984 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Lol @ braswell. He only has a championship to his name lol

Reply #401988 | Report this post

bk  
Years ago

I thought Catron was good he didn't do anything flashy but was a solid player who knew his roll and didn't try and do anything he wasn't capable of.

Reply #401991 | Report this post

dx  
Years ago

I just got them off the NBLWiki site. Apologies if they arent right.

Reply #401993 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@FM....so did Brett Rainbow....twice...what is your point?

I linked Braswell to Anstey which should give you a clue as to which playing tenure I am referring to.

Reply #401998 | Report this post

Vespa  
Years ago

Braswell played major minutes all season
and won games for NZ.

Huge difference MC.

What did Marty cook you for tea tonight Marcus?
Does he get angry when u don't put
The toilet seat down ?

You have no idea about basketball MC.
Your posts are getting worse. Cannot wait till
Marty's contract is not renewed. Purely just to hear everyone
On hear say " told you so".

Reply #401999 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Is Marcus Camby actually Anthony Mundine??

Reply #402003 | Report this post

Flip  
Years ago

Not again for Smyth thanks.

Reply #402028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The question to be considered for all applicants is this....why do you want to coach the Sixers? Because you are passionate about it? Or, because of your personal circumstances in life, the coaching gig looks attractive right now.

Reply #402038 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Marcus you can spin as much as you want but the sacking of CJ when did not give a decent go and then to spin good about Scott C who has to be weakest import we ever had as loud as you like but mate nobody is going to even remotely agree.
They were 2 of many highlights of the many stuff ups of the worst coach by far we have ever had who has wrecked this proud club and their supporters which we only hope can be salvaged when he disappears never to be seen on a NBL court

Reply #402041 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:56 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754