Anon
Years ago

Ballarat Miners down to 3 options

Ballarat Miners have reduced their coaching shortlist to 3 options.

Trevor Gleeson - Ex Melbourne Tigers Head Coach
Scott Fisher - Ex Perth Wildcats Head Coach, now Ass.Coach at Hawaii University
David Flint - Ex Bendigo Braves Head Coach and legend.

The season can be considered all but over due to season starting in 6 weeks and have no team recruited, new coaching staff and no money!

Topic #30682 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is the role a full time salary package?

Reply #401714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only realistic one of these would be Flint.

Ballarat have no money, no way they can afford a big money coach!

Reply #401723 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Shaun Bruce would be seriously unlikely to return now that Molloy has left. He signed his contract prior to Molloy announcing he was leaving. He would be better off seeking another SEABL club to continue his development or if Cairns wish to retain him, stay in Cairns.

Reply #401728 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

From last year's team Ballarat have lost.

Tim Coenraad (Restricted)
Daniel Joyce
Kevin White
Jared Sconies
Cam McCallum
Ryan Barnes
Reggie Larry (Import)

But gained

Kris Blicavs (rookie)
Chris Smith (Mt Gambier benchie)
Matt Hanson (Import).

Will compete with Canberra for the spoon.

Reply #401740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fisher? Gleeson?. Tell them they're dreaming.

Reply #401746 | Report this post

VP  
Years ago

From last year's team Ballarat have lost.

Tim Coenraad (Restricted)
Daniel j0yce
Kevin White
Jared Sconies
Cam McCallum
Ryan Barnes
Reggie Larry (Import)

Was this the real reason Guy Molloy left - due to the number of players leaving Miners?

Would be very difficult to be competitive in SEABL.

Why has Ballarat got no money?

Reply #401750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heard they have been in contact with former Eastern Mavericks import Ed Millard about playing there this season..

Reply #401753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clearly loose lips at Ballarat.

Reply #401760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I played for David Flint at bendigo for over 7 years, he was one of the smartest player I've ever seen and by far the best coach I had. If he gets the gig I wish him all the best

Reply #401800 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I agree someone at Ballarat within the selection panel continues to feed external parties confidential information. This information was given to me by several sources not involved with the club and 2 not even in the state.

No wonder Simon Mitchell at Knox rejected their 1st offer.

Reply #401842 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Loose lips sink ships....if all this information keeps getting out surely it wouldn't be a great enviroment to work in.

Reply #401846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would you pick an import before the coach?

Reply #401852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spoken to an import, not signed. I believe they are waiting on the coach to be appointed first.

BUT, with the season not long away, they would be silly not to be talking to imports, regardless of the coach situation.

Reply #401858 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Matt Hanson - Import was signed very early (December) prior to Molloy leaving.

Reply #401861 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Will need a second import with the amount of talent they have lost to be competitive.

Reply #401862 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Word is Ballarat have indeed missed signing Gleeson and Fisher as their Head Coach but have signed David Flint over the weekend.

I can't help but think Ballarat will be cellar dwellers for the next 3-5 years!

Reply #402539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would Fisher leave the balmy Hawaiian weather to go to freeeeeeeeeezzing Ballarat.

Reply #402575 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Matty Hanson is a gun but they will need a few very good recruits around him otherwise they'll be fighting it out for the spoon!

Reply #402577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fisher was NEVER an option. Just a bullshit name thrown up by fools.

Reply #402578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah. Gleeson same. Miners talking shit.

Reply #402646 | Report this post

Bill R  
Years ago

Flint appointed today with Eric hayse as assistant great pick ups hopefully they will have a game plan that suits SEABL unlike the previous coach who was supposedly a gun (42% win ratio with robotic boring play) and didn't make finals in 3 years at the club. Big signings to come with the big new sponsor

anon - u sound like you applied for job and didn't get it?? A bit bitter and twisted??

Reply #402828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this job just SEABL head coach or is it coaching director too? Heard a rumour of an SA coach heading that way but maybe that was just for coaching director.

Reply #402852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you will find that they will do a little better than what people predict
David Flint at the helm with Eric, they will be well coached and well drilled.
Its amazing what can happen when you have smart people leading your team
Sure they prob wont be playing finals but will get some hard earned W's!
If I remember Flint has either the best win:loss ratio in seabl history (I could be
Wrong, but hes a great coach)
Of course this is just my opinion, hope they do well

Reply #402855 | Report this post

Wayne  
Years ago

Hey easy to coach talent.This will be his true test, coaching unknown players and he wont have 3 imports to help him. Props to him for taking the job, but they will struggle

Reply #402912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

True, the last year I played for him we had 7 locals (most u/21) and two imports...we finished 2nd, the man can flat out coach anyone and brings their best out. 1 of those imports was Ricky Daniels in his prime.
I really respect your opinion & maybe I'm bias, I really hope he does well and the team goes ok, yes they will struggle. But I hope they get a few w's on the board

Reply #403692 | Report this post

Triton 52  
Years ago

His son is in his last year of college ball in the states expect him to come back and play next season

Reply #445572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your joking yourself if you think Austin Flint will have any impact on a team. Ballarat are done for the next 5 years. Plain and simple.

Their YL program finished dead last season and SEABL Mens team spent a crap load of cash last year on 2 imports, an NBL rostered player and an NBL development player to finish with what? 7 wins.

Their kids got no development from Flint or Hayes and IMO should drop to Big V.

Reply #445590 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

big call....Bruce going down injuried hurt them alot otherwise they might have got 10-12 wins as there starting group was pretty solid when fit.

The issue was injuries and no depth at all so once Bruce went down they struggled.

Reply #445604 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:37 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754