NBL fan
Years ago

Advice for basketball tryouts?

so i'm going to tryout for the high school basketball team, and i'm a bit nervous, what should i expect at tryouts? what should i do? what do they do at tryouts?
how hard is it to make it?
i like to play center, however i'm only 5'11, i like shooting layups and mid-range, i'm not very good at 3 point shooting.
i've never played basketball for a proper team, just with friends and school, and i love to watch basketball and play it.
thanks for the help.

Topic #30699 | Report this topic

lol  
Years ago

I'd expect just simple passing and shooting drills

Reply #401995 | Report this post

.com  
Years ago

do what you are asked to do by the coach.

ask for tips to improve - show a high work effort and dont worry about mistakes.

Reply #401996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you play 5 on 5 make sure you keep the floor spread and get to the hoop and score thats all some coaches look for.

Reply #402022 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

If you are wanting to play the 5 don't worry if you don't hit the 3 ball. Demand the ball down low and bang away in the post.

Listen to the coach and play hard on D and do the 1%ers

Reply #402046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How old are you? A 5'11" 10 year old is great for a centre but at 16 you are probably going to play in another role.

Jake: It's fine to demand the ball down low and bang away in the post when you can match up against the opposition bigs but if you're a midget in the land of the giants it is likely to be ineffective.

Reply #402054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you make it be sure to be prepared for sooks to say you didn't get in on merit...

Reply #402061 | Report this post

DRose  
Years ago

You got to crash the boards, hustle hard and play with heart. Show everything you can do and play to your strengths.

Reply #402084 | Report this post

Gruff  
Years ago

You can expect a lot of skills test drills like passing, shooting, lay ups, dribbling and defense. Probably a bit of one on one, three on three and maybe a scratch match of five on five at the end. Play hard, play fair, do what your told, be a good sport (if someone falls over, help them up if you're close), don't show off and don't mouth off. The coach will not just be looking for good players. He'll be looking for team players. Good luck and most of all, have fun.

Reply #402172 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

How hard is it to make it?
Well that would depend on how good the rest of the players trying out are, wouldn't it?

Doesn't matter if you can't shoot 3 pointers. If you can hit the mid range shot that puts you ahead of half the Center's in the NBL.

Good luck!

Reply #402434 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

Just seen OP was from last month.
So did you make the team? The suspense is killing me.

Reply #402435 | Report this post

:)  
Years ago

How about have fun isn't that what the game is about, unless ur trying out for the Miami heat lol just remember to enjoy it. Hope you made it

Reply #402759 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:13 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754