Jack Toft
Years ago

R17 Sixers V Hawks

Sixers are hosting the Hawks in what will be a very interesting arm wrestle at Brett Maher Arena. Gordie under pressure with retirements, injuries and final 4 spots. Melbourne has to potential to replace Wollongong if Wollongong loses and the Tiggers triumph over Cairns. Townsville could replace Adelaide at the foot of the table too!

Marty just under pressure.

A four quarters effort is needed and when under pressure, the best answer is get it back to basics and keep it simple.

Anyone willing to back the Sixers?

Topic #30700 | Report this topic

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I think we should win, but if anyone can get a team of fill-ins mixed with who's left to win, its Gordie McLeod. But we do have a good record against the Hawks here in Adelaide, even under Marty Clarke (who as a coach has a losing record against every NBL team it would seem).

We need this though. Whatever playoff hopes we have left literally rest on the result of this game. Lose and forget it.

Reply #402004 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Trouble is that even if we win, we are probably helping the Tigers more than ourselves!

Reply #402013 | Report this post

Howto  
Years ago

Gibson on Deleon = most likely win
Cadee on Deleon = Deleon might go for 40+

Reply #402016 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

Very Confident of a big win tonight. 10 plus you would think easily. Looking forward to the game , worried about crowd numbers and thats about it.

Reply #402017 | Report this post

Melbourne Hawk  
Years ago

An emotional week for the hawks - they would be looking to get the monkey off the back this week.

Look out for Malcolm Grant, he gave NZ fits in the open court last week. And we havent seen him unload from deep yet.

Word is he could start tonight with Deleon in the backcourt so Cadee will have his hands full on D irrespective.

Dont rule out the Hawks tonight, i am not saying they will win but they will definitely put in a good showing and it will be close.

Reply #402018 | Report this post

Triton 95  
Years ago

GO HAWKS, It will be tough but the Hawks still should be competitive, Jackson needs to step up, he will be playing more minutes. I look forward to watching Grant and Deleon play more minutes together. Lets hope Oscar has his shooting shoes on. Hawks by 4.

Reply #402020 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Howto....Gibson guarded Deleon last time they were in town and got torched as Deleon led his side to victory with an impressive last quarter.

I dont think even the most positive Sixers fan could undoubtedly tip their team. The last 3 years have seen fans attending games hoping they can win, not expecting it. Given that, I will be tipping the Hawks.

Reply #402023 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Couldn't get motivated enough to go - might tune in on NBL TV.com. I'd say Hawks, but it doesn't matter either way really.

Reply #402024 | Report this post

Howto  
Years ago

Yeah Gibson may of been on him for the early majority of the game but I recall Cadee guarding Deleon in the 4th where he owned him. Flynn also could of gone for 40 against Cadee (10 in the first qtr) before copping a slight injury but instead started getting his teammates involved.

Reply #402026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hawks to jus pip the 36ers.

Reply #402027 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Notice Gruber's Wife had a baby yesterday. Any idea if he is playing?

Reply #402029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Given that junior district goes back tonight, is any one actually going to be going to the game?

Reply #402032 | Report this post

Triton 95  
Years ago

skip, I don't think Grubers baby is ready to play yet, give him a few years.

Reply #402039 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

It is also a 'she', how rude.

Reply #402042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well then, 'she' definitely won't be playing this week .

Reply #402044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yep, i'm one who'll miss most of the game because i'll be coaching a junior game first.

Reply #402053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is the TV game tonight, 9:30pm on One.

Reply #402065 | Report this post

boss  
Years ago

hawks going to sign anyone to replace saville? jacksons a pretty average replacement

Reply #402073 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Gruber's daughter is more ready to play in the NBL right now than Zac Delaney.

Reply #402076 | Report this post

Quickie  
Years ago

District games on tonight crowd numbers will be low.

Reply #402081 | Report this post

bk  
Years ago

I will be there and don't ask me why but i have a feeling 6ers will win even though my head is saying no way.

Reply #402083 | Report this post

JOaRiDrAN  
Years ago

I'd like to know who has the job for deciding which NBL game gets shown on tv.

Perth v NZ... Or 36ers v Hawks.

You do the Maths

Reply #402092 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Why do they keep getting it wrong?

Reply #402108 | Report this post

x  
Years ago

Lol Deleon attempting to penetrate on Gibson is adorable.

Reply #402109 | Report this post

Bah  
Years ago

Am I an idiot, or can I just not find the live scores?

Reply #402110 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Adelaide are actually getting worse and worse as the season goes on. I can't believe a pro basketball team can play this badly. Gibson needs to be playing PG for 40 minutes.

Reply #402111 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

It's actually getting beyond a joke, it's very very depressing.

Reply #402112 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

I can believe a Marty Clarke coached professional team can play this badly.

Reply #402113 | Report this post

x  
Years ago

Yeah. Bad.

Baaaaaaaaaad.

Reply #402114 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Who the hell is this Oscar character?

Reply #402115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's the score?

Reply #402116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is embarrassing

Reply #402117 | Report this post

Lt 44  
Years ago

Score update anyone?

Reply #402118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hawks 71, sixers 59.

Bloooddyy hell.....Love how everyone says that we gonna win, i am telling you people, with marty, we aint gonna win.

Beyond piss poor, disgrace, laughing stock, embarasment to the state, embarasment to basketball in SA, dont care anymore, lost all interest, poor excuse for a coach, degrading to all players, shame on the sixers management.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts^

Reply #402119 | Report this post

x  
Years ago

Ahhhhh it's all been said before.

Watching Christopherson and Grant on the same court is depressing.

Only positive, once again, is Gibbo's D. The bloke is amazing.

Reply #402120 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Hey NBL Teams. You wanna break your losing streak? Just play Adelaide!

Pretty embarrassing for everyone involved in recruiting Christopherson when you compare his performance tonight to the recently recruited Malcolm Grant.

While Christopherson is missing open threes, getting blocked, committing stupid fouls, turning the ball over by stepping on the sidelines etc, Grant is lighting it up and making big plays, top scoring for his new team.

I really just want to erase this season and the last 2 for that matter from my memory.

Reply #402121 | Report this post

Lt 44  
Years ago

Ta. Bring on 2013/2014!

Reply #402122 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I'll continue to watch Lethal Weapon 3 again even though I've seen it heaps of times previously.

Reply #402123 | Report this post

x  
Years ago

"I'm too old for this shit."

Reply #402125 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

It's not just this season. It has been a three year long abortion.

Reply #402126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The final score did not reflect how disgraceful the 36ers were tonight against the most depleted team in the league just days after they lost their 3rd starter for the season. Well done to the Hawks but as others have said, a win against the 36ers is almost a certain bet these days.

Reply #402127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I just don't understand why with every offensive possession there is so much confusion. It's so stagnant. Wollongong moved the ball around with purpose and were not afraid to take their shots. We just want to hold onto the ball, wait for people to run to spots and then either turn it over or jack up a poor shot when the shot clock runs out.

Reply #402128 | Report this post

eli1  
Years ago

Why start playing with 2:00 minutes left in the game when 15 down. Where the F##K was the enthusiasm earlier when we were only 8 down at 3/4 time.

Speculation says: Tanking! Melbourne FC did it, now us. And do weget draft picks or crap like that? No!

The other side of things is, scores were 22/23 in favour of Hawks early on with 7 mins to play. We subbed and yep, some really strange passing with set ups. Man, seriously!

Poor crowd but honestly, would u wanna go see a losing team lose?

Lastly, what entertainment value was the time out with Murray Magpie and the 4 kids doing whatMurray does. Absolutely rivetting! Pffft.

Reply #402130 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Well done X

Reply #402131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The crap music probably keeps a few away too eli1

Reply #402132 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

What is the advantage to tanking? There is no draft in the NBL. Tanking is actually bad for an NBL team because players wouldn't want to play for a team with such a bad record, they would lose fans/corporate support. I doubt they are tanking. Then again, with the chimps who are in the 36ers front office, I wouldn't put anything past them.

Reply #402133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At the start of the seacon, all the experts said that Adelaide was the team to beat - they were right!

Reply #402134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"season"

Reply #402135 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

That was just so uninspired. Where has my team gone.

Reply #402138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Waiting for Marcus camby the troll master to give his opinions on the match

Reply #402139 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Man I really don't understand why Sportsbet keep putting Adelaide as favourites this season LOL. Betted against Adelaide in their last 10 and won all of them except for the game against Sydney. Thanks Sportsbet $$$

Reply #402140 | Report this post

Shano  
Years ago

We are a joke. Thanks Marty you're an arse clown.

Reply #402141 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

The last few minutes when the team was starting to make a come back looked like it was at the point that they threw Clarke's system out the window and did their own thing. They must have thought this shit is not working, we'll do it our way. If only they thought of it another 2 minutes earlier. They could have won it with that momentum swing and a few more minutes up their sleeve. Clarke is a disgrace and I blame him fully for the crap we have put up with for the last 3 years. P.S. this is not an open door for Marcus Camby to walk in. You have nothing to justify anymore. You and your mate Clarke can both take your shit somewhere else.

Can't believe I had to resort to swearing, but this is the result of 3 years of frustration.

Reply #402142 | Report this post

Shano  
Years ago

Watching replay is there a bigger sook than Clarke? Always whinging. Try concentrating on getting your team to actually play with passion. Looks a smallish crowd too. It's almost comical. Marty has destroyed this once proud club.

Reply #402143 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@EC...

I am as frustrated as you are believe me.

But take heart knowing its been a 3 year journey of building, learning and development.

Everyone stumbles on the path to greatness.

The potential is there for Marty and the 6'ers in 2014.

The fans just have to get onboard like the Players and Daryl does.

Reply #402144 | Report this post

Gnome  
Years ago

Is it me or does it sound like Brett Maher is just as frustrated as we are with Clarke?
Have really noticed it with his commentating on this game!

Reply #402145 | Report this post

Vespa  
Years ago

Your a loser Marcus !

Reply #402146 | Report this post

Shano  
Years ago

3 year plan
1- suck
2-suck harder
3- suck so hard the team folds

Success!

Reply #402147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you're a fuckwit marcus

Reply #402149 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@Shano.....

It may feel like that but look at it this way. We have a much better team in 2013 than 2.5 years ago.

Weigh, DJ and Cadee will form a formidable core for next season.

The night is darkest just before the dawn.

Reply #402150 | Report this post

wildcats80  
Years ago

Dont worry Adelaide, your grand final is next week against Perth, as per usual you will lift against Perth and probably win. Do you realise, out of Martys 22 wins, 7 have been against Perth and since he has been coach, he has won 4/5 games in Perth which is unmatched by anyone.

Reply #402151 | Report this post

Vespa  
Years ago

I've got a fair idea who MC is now....

Reply #402152 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Hey scoot ^ who do you think MC is?

Reply #402156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fuck off Marcus you fuck wit, you make me sick with your positive bullshit. If you think Marty will be here next year you are dillusional.

Reply #402157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I WILL NEVER GO TO ANOTHER 36ERS GAME WHILE MARTY CLARKE IS THE COACH!

We had 14 turnovers tonight, guess how many steals Woolongong had?
2 that's right 2 meaning we stepped out of bounds twice and passed the ball out of court 10 TIMES.

CLARKE HAS NO OFFENCE OR DEFENCE!

This club right now is an embarrassment, the Hawks were on a 7 game slide as well but cruised to a road victory in Adelaide.
I actually hate Marty Clarke, he's the worst coach in the history of professional sport in this country in any code. Nice way to start the 4th with Christopherson and Daly you tool.

I've always been one to rock up every week for the last 9 years off disappointing seasons, this season is shot the club has to sack him. I would rather we didn't even have a coach.

Reply #402158 | Report this post

Louie  
Years ago

Why is Clarke persisting? Step down. Everyone hates you. But in his fairness tonight - he's not to blame for stray passes and poor shots/air balls.

What the hell has happened to our sixers

Reply #402159 | Report this post

bk  
Years ago

Dam my gut feeling thats the last time i'm listening to it.Yay we can beat Perth in Perth kind of a bitter sweet pill to swallow i'd rather lose every game to Perth if it ment we were in the final 4 and not watching the same old B S every game. Marty has turnned our players into a bunch of pussies with no desire to win. Thanks Marty don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Reply #402160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah no one listens to you marus camby. I cannot believe you can even still defend him now. If I was 36ers management I would have sacked Clarke ages ago, your a chump Marcus and deep down you know Marty is at fault.

Reply #402161 | Report this post

Vespa  
Years ago

Spursfan. Obviously not going to say it on a public
forum. I could be wayyyyy off. But, fair sure I'm on the money.

Reply #402162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed I rather we didn't have a coach than have this clown impersonating a coach, what a joke the last 3yrs have been.

Reply #402163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Marty Clarke had any dignity left he would do the right thing and resign.

This is just destroying the 36ers brand.

Reply #402164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's most sad for me is the fact that I have attended 36ers games for almost 15 years (only missing games for illness, holidays etc.) and tonight was the first real time I had that feeling like I didn't want to go anymore. Who knows how many other long term supporters feel the same way. I never thought I'd feel that way but here we are. This season can't end soon enough.

Reply #402165 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

Another game further confirming this performance by Clarke as the worst coaching performance in the history of the NBL. How you lose to a team on your home floor who has lost 3 of its initial 5 starters to injury and whom has vastly inferior talent to your personnel is almost unbelievable.

I have never seen a 36ers team look more out of sync offensively then this team
Has all season. Obviously Clarkes offensive strategies have not worked all year but why does he continue to persist with them. You can't keep doing the same thing and expect different results, are the coaching staff really that stubborn to make adjustments?

The handling and recruiting of the imports by the coaching staff has also been shown to be one of more terrible sagas of the clubs history, add to that the mind-numbing rotations and complete lack of passion shown by the coaches, its hard to understand what these guys can actually do right?

Wollongong showed what a team with a relatively low talent level compared to their opposition can do when they are well coached and play with heart and passion. I would be very proud of my team and my coach if I was a Wollongong fan. Unfortunately I can't say the same as a sixers fan after tonights display.

Reply #402166 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@Louie...

Thank you for highlighting that the responsibility of the loss should be borne throughout not just on Marty.

He could take the easy way out and quit. But I sincerely believe that he and Mark believe in what they are doing the the direction they are taking the team.

More to the point Marty stays not because it is easy, but because it is hard, and because that challenge is one he is willing to accept and unwilling to postpone.

Reply #402169 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

lol marcus camby is a persistent troll. It's funny how people seriously respond to him haha

Reply #402171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But I sincerely believe that he and Mark believe in what they are doing the the direction they are taking the team.

So did Heaven's Gate.

How's this for some direction, 36ers now have lost 11 of their past 12 games, just one victory since Nov 17th, bottom of the ladder and on track for a 2nd consecutive wooden spoon.

The only positive out of that direction is Marty Clarke's NBL coaching career ends next month.

Reply #402174 | Report this post

Gnome  
Years ago

Insanity = doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result!!!

Marty Clarke = Sticking with the same game plan over and over again expecting a different result!!!

Reply #402175 | Report this post

bk  
Years ago

@marcus Marty will never quit because he won't take any responsibillty for any loss. He always blames everything or anyone else but himself. He won't even come up for player interviews after a loss which is very unsupportive and poor form especially when it's him that preaches how important it is that the team sticks together through the bad times. How would you feel after another heartbreaking loss to have to stand up in front of a room full of fans to talk about it and the coach couldn't even be bothered to make an appearance. At least with Ninnis he would come up after every game win or loss and even point the finger at himself admitting he was out of his depth.

Reply #402176 | Report this post

Bah  
Years ago

"Weigh, DJ and Cadee will form a formidable core for next season."

Weigh is gone. Guaranteed.

Reply #402177 | Report this post

Gruff  
Years ago

@Marcus Camby....

I really don't think you should be posting in public forums, especially on this topic, even if you are using an alias.

BTW, Marty Clarke has the worst win/loss record of any 36ers coach in club history and each year gets worse, not better.

Year 1 - 9/19 32%
Year 2 - 8/20 28%

Reply #402178 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Marcus Camby, you're becoming as big of a joke on here as Clarke and the garden gnome are as alleged coaches of the 36ers.

If I can bring any positive out of tonight's game, not that it means much because we still lost, is that DJ hit 3/4 from outside the 3-point arc and overall shot the ball at 54% tonight. That's well up on not only his season averages but also his averages against the Hawks. And he only finished 1 rebound shy of yet another double-double.

I've never been an advocate of replacing a failed rookie coach with another rookie coach, but at this stage I'd be happy to see Clarke either walk or be sacked and Brett Maher brought in to coach this team.

Reply #402181 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

lmao that you continue to feed the troll

Reply #402188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So that makes it 1 win and 12 losses since Farty Clarke sacked Massingale. What a bad decision that was. Could actually make the club fold. Seen more people at a SEABL game than what was there last night.

Why doesnt he just quit and say he failed.

Reply #402189 | Report this post

Pointguard  
Years ago

If 6ers appointed Maher this would be the result

1. A simpler offence that would work to the strengths of the roster.

2. A better offensive structure that is consistant for 40 minutes.

3. A lot happier roster, even if the current roster like MC as a bloke.

4. Happier fans

5. Happier sponsors that may even pay their bills.

6. People back into the stands

7. Pride

8. Better assistants

Reply #402190 | Report this post

Pointguard  
Years ago

woops number 2 was meant to be "defensive" my bad

Reply #402191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shano
Watching replay is there a bigger sook than Clarke?

He's good but Lemanis is better.

Seems Clarke can't even succeed as a sook.

The club really needs to sack him now to salvage some faith with fans.

Reply #402195 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Who started the rumour about Clarke being a good development coach?

Marcus, you are a true star. For staying so strong in the face of adversity. People can learn a lot from you. Thanks for staying so positive and supporting and forgetting about the big picture.

Reply #402196 | Report this post

SamCro  
Years ago

Would like a dollar for everytime that 'Mystro' starts a post with LMAO...

Reply #402198 | Report this post

Igotmadskills  
Years ago

The only reason we beat Perth is they don't have a quick American pg. every other team torches Cade on d...
Lisch is good but he's not explosively quick.

Management need to remove Clarke just to get the supporters back and to see if a new coach can build some new momentum for a hopeful next season...

Marty can be blamed for the wayward passes as they are playing his offence. It's time to just play as the frustrating thing I see is they pass up so many open shots for ugly shots. We shot 4 air balls last night...

We need someone with attitude....
Frustrated with everything 36ers at the moment

Reply #402202 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"Would like a dollar for everytime that 'Mystro' starts a post with LMAO..."

what can I say, there's a lot to laugh at here and feeding the troll is def one of them

Reply #402203 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

I saw the Sixers summed up last night as -

"A team who seem happy that near enough is good enough"

While some guys seem genuinely angry at the results - some out there appear to be accepting of the result as long as they get their stats....

There is way too much talk and "we've got to work harder and come out strong next week"

Actions speak louder than words and right now they are speaking volumes!

Reply #402204 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Weigh's best 36ers start . I got the impression of him being more aggresive being able to take a sub , rather than conserving for a full game .
Forman shooting well and Grant pretty to watch .
Marty Clarke's Easybeats did that little bit at the end , like the last game against Melbourne , to make it an 8point loss , rather than the 15-20 point difference that it was.

Reply #402205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Marcus, Marty Clarke stays because he knows next year he will be earning sweet FA so in the interest of him and his family, he needs to milk this shit while it lasts.

My division 2 under 20 coach had way more knowledge of how to coach a game of basketball than Marty. I'm more upset with the 36ers management, this head coach is drowning the club and they do nothing. The place was EMPTY last night, sack Marty and 1000 more fans rock up paying an average of $25, $25,000 for every home game left which I think is 5 = $125,000. Sack Marty, pay him out his $50,000 and show the fans you have the balls to make tough decisions ffs.

I'm like 70% of fans now, watching this team is like going to the dentist. You know you have to do it but f$ck it hurts.

Reply #402206 | Report this post

yahoo  
Years ago

No question Clarke should go however I hear that Maher has been working with Frank Arsego behind the scenes to take over.Both great guys but Maher has never coached that is right never and Arsegos record was poor at best.If we are serious about getting the BEST coach for the job lets have a professional selection panel decide not an emotional one.Bickley was a club champion similar to Maher yet the Crows didn't appoint him because he was not ready had never coached at a higher enough level Bickley is developing himself into a Head Coach.How about a Wayne Jackson,Lindsay Gaze,Adrian Hurley and a Brian Cunningham as a selection panel.Could even include Boti Nagy on there so he was involved in the process and understood why that coach was selected less chance of bagging him .Thoughts anyone ?

Reply #402207 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Louie, Clarke is responsible for stray passes and poor shots/air balls. Its the complication of his system that leads to this. The players are totally lost as to what to do when the situation arises that doesn't fit the action they have been told to undertake. Did you notice the difference in the last 2 minutes of play when they played more freely? There was no trace of Clarke influence in the last 2 minutes.

Reply #402210 | Report this post

Only joy I've had this season regarding 36ers is Marcus Camby's delusions of Marty's adequacy as a NBL coach.

While not wanting to feed the troll, I can't help it - he's so good at sucking us in.

Reply #402222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If anyone is watching the replay of the game, 4 minute mark of the second quarter....what a pathetic effort by DJ on the on-ball screen.

He needs to sit on the bench and learn he's not getting on until he puts in some damn effort on the defensive end.

And he throws the ball out of bounds next possesion....

Reply #402225 | Report this post

I cant believe after years of rich history all it has taken is Marty Clarke to come in and destroy this club which will inevitably fold at the end of the season.

Great job spineless SOS. Run this club into the ground because your too weak to make tough decisions.

Basketball in this state is bleeding hard and no one is prepared to do anything about it.

Can someone please remind me why I pay my $380 a year again? so management can misuse these funds. Like many have said here going to the games is becoming painful and for the first time EVER im seriously considering throwing in the towel for these final two games, hell everyone around my seats already has!

Reply #402228 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

I am at the point now, where I can't believe that Marty doesn't quit. How can he even walk out onto that floor now, without feeling like a failure? How can he look the players in the eyes, their false "respect" notwithstanding? How can he look at management, or sponsors or the media, and keep a straight face?

This has become such a farcical situation now, that when I woke up and checked the score this morning, I actually laughed! I LAUGHED at my teams' loss! This has never happened to me regarding the Sixers, ever before.

It is shameful, and sad that this club has reached this level. I thank Marcus Camby for trolling this board so hard and making me realize what a joke the Sixers brand has become. This isn't the same brand that I saw in the 80's and 90's or early 2000's. I don't know who they are, and truth be told, I'm beginning not to care anyway.

The biggest troll in this whole situation is NOT Marcus Camby.....it is Marty Clarke himself, for selling himself as an NBL Head Coach in the first place. Kudos to you Marty, you had everyone fooled early on, and you made 3 years worth of salary out of it. Brilliant!

Reply #402232 | Report this post

This whole failure makes me feel really bad for the way Ninnis was treated. He was burned at the stake the first opportunity the board had and looking at the roster he had he didn't do too bad considering the past 3 year joke. At least the bloke fronted up like someone here previously said, and copped the criticism when it was warranted and had passion for the club and had the clubs best interests at heart.

Marty is just a joke of a coach. What does he have at heart? A boomers coaching role is my bet. God help us if he ever reaches any high level within that organisation! Go back and coach kids then if your so good at that. This is a professional sporting team with Adults playing!

Reply #402236 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Mystro #402203 - +1

pickles ex-housemate - sounds like you should change your name to Big Billy Goat Gruff. He loves taking on the troll!

Statman - watching the players in the last few games reminded me of the way the team imploded half way through Ninnis' last season as 36ers' coach. They look like they've written off the season and are just going through the motions when they take the floor.

Reply #402238 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Agree PeterJohn. Sad to watch.

Reply #402242 | Report this post

No Respect  
Years ago

Said it before Manute Bol's Father, Marty won't resign, even though he should, because how will it look to the new Boomer's coach if he quits. At least if he stays, he can excuse his way out of poor seasons...

Reply #402244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sigh, I give up, lost all interest in the team for now. Thanks Marty Clarke, you have killed my interest in this once great club.

PS - Marcus Camby, I challenge you to justify sakcing Massingale now.

Reply #402245 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Do not feed the troll.

Reply #402247 | Report this post

.Hawks fan  
Years ago

Great win for the Hawks, this team is made up of players that really support each other. Larry and Oscar lead the time on the court, the players listen to them in their hudles, they clap each other's good moves, they pick each other up off the floor. The team is organised, Larry can see what is happening and calls the defensive moves. Among other problems Adelaide lack on court leadership and an intelligent player who can coach on the court. A lot of the Adelaide players just hang their heads and look like they have no wish to support each other and no idea how to win.

Reply #402252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marcus camby is Marty's dad. Imagine gordie with this team

Reply #402255 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Crowd 3628 , more than I thought were gonna go ,
and about what we're getting out there now.
A few extra go out there in school holidays , that's only natural.

Reply #402256 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Peterjohn, going through the motions sums it up perfectly

Sad isn't it

Reply #402258 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Yeah , interesting to watch Gordie , didn't guard Crosswell , and other interesting stuff out there , and marty , I just get bored .

Reply #402259 | Report this post

bk  
Years ago

@hawks fan we lack on court leadership because every time someone stuck their head up and assumed that role they would get benched and yelled at for not running the system. Marty has killed any creativity any players in his system have had which is why they look stupid when the offencive system breaks down.

Reply #402262 | Report this post

The TRuth  
Years ago

Another week, another loss for this sixers and another round of coach bashing, player bashing and all round hate on the Hoops forum. I LOVE IT!

Thought I'd throw in my 2 cents about this roster and how I think so of us on here are way off the mark about the efforts of players on this roster.

Gibbo for mine has been dreadful the last few weeks. His D is all smoke and mirrors, Gary Ervin torched hiim & Cadee 4 times, he can't guard Deleon and he knows it from their GC days together, Madgen has had his biggest games of the years against the sixers as has Kevin Lisch. Not sure why people keep blowing smoke up his backside, watch him in the half court, he really struggles to keep anyone in front of him this year, even dan jackson went right by him 2 times last night. Don't get me wrong the effort is there but unless he is allowed to hand check, ride guys with his body or just grab and hold he is horrible. Hence the reason he will never cut it for the Boomers at the international level. Offensively he can't be "the guy" just too selfish. He isn't a creator or instigator of offense and his passing for a so called PG is not there. Gibbo is a great role player, that's why he was so good with the South Dragons group that one the title. He was only asked to play a role.

DJ & Schensher. Whoever thought to put these 2 guys on the same roster. MC?? The NBL is a small quick league. If you play them together, it hurts you, big time.
1. They are both TERRIBLE in D-trans. DJ doesn't want to get back and Big Red can't get back.
2. If they cover D-trans you get no offensive rebounding production because they are too slow to do both.
3. On-ball screen D. DJ may be the wrost big in the league at this, he is late, fouls, doesn't talk. Its just a train wreck. Schensh gives the effort but his foot speed isn't there.
Player them together is suicide for this group. They need to be a tandem in short spurts. Petrie & Weigh cover the 4 spot.

Lack of a shooting guard. They have 3 average PG's and no shooting guard in sight on this roster. The import is a dud and should be shipped out. Daly is another PG who just isn't up to the NBL level yet. Weigh is a 3/4 and Creek is a 3. They don't have anyone who can consistently space the floor at the 2 spot.

In my opinion the whole roster just doesn't have good balance and as a result Clarke's system, which is based on ball movement and spacing is really suffering. They don't have a PG who can facilitate the system consistently.

In saying that....Clarke has coached poorly this year, yes. But.... We need to hold the player accountable for their efforts also, or someone does. Look at a guy like Joey Wright, if you played for him, you played your backside or you didn't play at all.

Petrie & Weigh are great together. Weigh is big enough to play minutes at the 4 and I think Petrie is a starter on every team in this league at the 4. Gibbo needs help at the 2 spot to take pressure of him shouldering late clock offense because lets be honest he really isn't very good at it.

Obviously we have to ride out this next 4-6 weeks and then bulk changes will be made to the coaching & playing group. But I thought I'd just add my 2 cents to everyones elses rants.

Feedback welcome

Reply #402263 | Report this post

Kmoney  
Years ago

One month ago i gave my season tickets away. Its really embarrassing now and i dont rate what is on offer as being worth $2 to watch. Empty stadium, terrible coach and no players want to play for him, next year who would want to come play here and who would want to waste their time going to watch more crapola. Its worse than a train wreck its a shame.

Reply #402270 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

If Weigh is gone I would love him to replace sav at the Hawks. A solid all round player who would have a better chance to fulfil his potential under Gordie.

From the two games I have seen from Grant I would also try to ink him in early. Grant and a rehabbed Martin and Hurdle backed up by Demos would be a very good back court. Put Weigh into the three/four spot and you have that covered well with the existing Coenraad and Forman. Davo, Gruber and McMillan and you have a team that with a decent run of luck would be very competitive.

For the many posters who talk down the hawks talent they need to watch more that the headlines. Factor in IQ, team work, effort (at both ends) before you judge. Forman has the quickest release I have ever seen in an Aussie big. He needs no room top get that shot off. His "D" has improved from almost zero to average and in my opinion he is one of the better players in the NBL if in a team with guards who can get into the paint.Davo is a bit of an enigma but is very savy and his role in spreading the floor on providing a physical presence is vital to the Hawks systems. Grant may be a step up from either the guys he replaced. Very impressive.

Cadee, DJ at this stage of their careers are extremely over rated.

Reply #402280 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

The TRuth. Petrie isn't the starter at the Hawks in the 4 or at the Cats and Breakers. No way does he come close to what Forman does in Gordie's system. Petrie is a good solid player but I don't get the star status that some put on him. A middle of the road 4 man in the NBL.

Reply #402284 | Report this post

CR  
Years ago

Not a sixers or hawks fan but really enjoyed watching how the hawks went about it.

Really simple but effective offensive structures required with the new boy Grant in the team - some high screening action, if the defense gets lost big man dives to the hole, bang, easy layup.

If the defense actually pays attention, find space off the screen and the shooter has licence to shoot - nice.

Well coached there Gordie ... even after also losing Sav on top of the others.

Won't comment on the sixers - everyone else has covered that.

Reply #402287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed fsots, I remember when some tried to label Petrie a contender for a full-strength Boomers team.

Solid-good PF at NBL level, nothing more.

Reply #402295 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

Probably the worst loss in Adelaide's history? Given the circumstances, the opposition and the stakes?

The Hawks simply schooled Adelaide.

Geordie and the boys showed how the game should be played.

Reply #402298 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Gordie uses the same offences every year. Just has a few little options off each movement which the players utilise depending on who the defence is.

The offence has one purpose and that is to score, hence they quickly adjust to a miss-match, drop the offence and capitalise. This is why new players for Gordie can have an impact straight away

Reply #402307 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

The TRuth - Gibson did good job of keeping Deleon in front of him when he hip and shouldered him! Probably supports your point - especially when you see the replays. Some bad blood there perhaps.

To be fair though, he made 9 assists last night and has 4.7 per game this year. So his passing isn't all bad (even though his shooting is not great). He does have 2.2 turnovers per game as well, though.

I find it generally pretty hard to work out which players are worth keeping and which are not. It seems to me that the players who have come to the 36ers from elsewhere mostly have performed worse since coming here. The stats certainly supported that for Johnson, Schenscher, Gibson and Weigh, when I looked at them (much) earlier in the season. Petrie's stats weren't greatly different.

If that's right, it suggests they are not able to play to their strengths here, which comes back to team structure, roles and game strategies. i.e., coaching. I think that's part of what you're saying, e.g., with your comments about Schenscher and Johnson.

These thoughts leave me thinking the team doesn't need to be blown up and rebuilt, but a couple of players need to be changed for new ones and a new coaching philosophy and approach come in.

Reply #402317 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Careful MC - you nearly blew the troll on that one.

Reply #402318 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Anon'245..

I have never justified sacking Massingale, rather, I have stated it was a gamble.

Right or wrong the team felt it could get more from an import spot than what CJ offered.

Now benefit is always 20/20 but give Marty credit for having the courage to make a change.

You guys love t o acuse him of 'trying the same things', yet when he does make an adjustment, he gets sh!t lumped on him as well....how unfair is that?

Woolpert fired TWO and went 0-10 (much worse than the 6'ers streak), yet he didn't get such bad treatment.

Come on guys, fair go please.

Reply #402331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

come on marcus, we have had three seasons of BULLSHIT, and you talk about "fair go please?" lol

Reply #402332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marcus, surely you can see for yourself that Marty can not coach men.
But the only thing I feel for Marty is that some of these players can not be coached.
I think he is stuck on the coaching kids system but some are too old and dumb for this and that is why the movement is so crap and the players are so unsure of what to do and where to go.

Reply #402333 | Report this post

Vespa  
Years ago

0 and 10 is not much worse than the 6ers streak Marcus ! We
Have lost the last 12 out of 13. How is that much worse ?

Reply #402335 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

One of problems with rating our players, is this coach can't get the best out of the player, so their numbers are not reliable. A good coach will pinch one of our players and turn him into something. Watch how good some of these players will perform next season in another system. If players were utilised to their strengths we would want to keep them. This team is very unbalanced. We need a dominating guard. Shows how great a player Maher was, as since he retired, our guards have been ......... He carried them. And when he teamed with another guard, (mee, Farley), LOOK OUT. Until the Sixers get a dominating guard who can control the clutch and floor they will stay in bottom half.

Reply #402339 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Geordie showed how basketball is meant to be played. He empowers his players on the court.
For last play of quarter he gave the ball to Grant. He could easily have got Deleon to run play. But he didn't. He was saying to Grant, you are in this team and I trust you. The end result of that play didn't matter. The play didn't come off but it didn't matter. It was a long term decision knowing Grant would grow in confidence and pay it back. Surprise, surprise. He did.

Reply #402340 | Report this post

shin splints  
Years ago

Woolpert took the Crocs to the finals, so he has more slack after starting 0-10 than a coach coming of 2 losing seasons.

If Geordie was coaching the Sixers last night, we would have won by 40. Adelaide has far too much talent this season to finish bottom.

Players are looking lost, floor spacing is horrible, solid shooters like Gibson are turning down wide open looks, no transition game at all with players stopping at the 3 point line.

And I always thought Weigh was a good defender, but Conraed torched him several times.

Reply #402341 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Agreed with most above, the team is a shambles and it's really hard to make judgement on individual players.

Gibson and Petrie were excellent for a good chunk of the season but even they are looking lost out there now. It was time for a new coach after the New Zealand capitulation. Someone, anyone who could generate a bit of belief and enthusiasm in the group.

Reply #402343 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Weigh has repuation across league as a horrible individual defender. Solid team defender but very poor one on one showed up last night and has been a problem all season.

Reply #402345 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

The TRuth,

Obviously we have to ride out this next 4-6 weeks and then bulk changes will be made to the coaching & playing group.

I don't think bulk changes need to be made to the playing group. What we have seen this season is no reflection on next season under a different coach. What you say about Gibbo in particular would definitely change under a new coach. Don't forget just a few short years ago as PG, he led the team to a championship. If I remember correctly, the Brisbane Bullets only lost 1 game the whole season.

Reply #402350 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

correction: should read he led the Brisbane Bullets to a championship.

Reply #402351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

EC and the South Dragons to a championship in 2009. Regardless I doubt Gibbo will be back next season.

36ers under Marty Clarke:

2011: 2nd to bottom
2012: Wooden spoon
2013: Wooden spoon (currently)

Given how much better our roster is this season than the previous two seasons they should sack him and just stick that Iranian space monkey in there, can't go lower than bottom of the ladder!

Reply #402355 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

bit of a stretch to say Gibbo led the Dragons to the championship. There were a few players further up the cue for that claim .

Game 5 he had 5 points 0 assists and 1 rebound with 10 turnovers would we say he won the game and the series for them?

Reply #402361 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I wouldnt necessarily believe those stats, they indicate the Dragons had 28 turnovers for the game which I dont remember as correct. I imagine it is a typo and he had 1 or 0.

I disagree with a lot of what The Truth said re Gibson, but one thing I think is spot on is he is a role player (a very good one) not the man, which he has been asked to be this year.

He was the second or third most important player for that very even Dragons side (which is well reflected by his minutes) not because he did anything special but because he played the PG role very well at both ends.

While his past three games have dropped away, he had been excellent up until that point - 13p at 38% 3p, 5a and 4r, and defending the best guard with little help on the ball-screen from his bigs.

The area that needs improvement is his finishing around the basket, but if Adelaide can keep him and add a Lisch/fit Devries type player next year they will have a very good backcourt with Cadee in reserve.

Reply #402362 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Getting back to the actual discussion, I dont think there are a lot of changes needed:

- get an import perimeter player who can create and make shots, whether he be a PG, combo, SG or 2-3

- put in a more flowing offensive set that doesnt require the coaches to be yelling out to players to cut or screen etc

- demand more defensive accountability

- only play Schenscher and Johnson together for limited minutes. Look at how Perth and NZ used their centres last season, high intensity short bursts

Reply #402363 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Grant looked pretty good out there . Would he be a good fit here in ADL , paul ?

Reply #402364 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If he played like that every week he'd be a good fit anywhere!

Reply #402365 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Paul, there's one more change to be made and that is in the 10th man spot. For season after season that has been filled by someone who does not get any minutes, or if they do it's just one or two plays.

Therefore if you're going to have someone in the position who is not going to see much time, nor provide much value on court, why not turn it into a business opportunity.

Currently, it would be costing the Sixers say $1,000/game to pay the 10th man. So, why not leave that position open and then offer "Sixer for a Game". You can buy that spot for $1,000/game ($2,000 cashflow turnaround) and then suit up to sit on the bench for the game.

Then if you actually hit the court in trash time, you play for say $1,000/minute.

Any takers?

Reply #402372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably the most idiotic idea I've ever seen on here Jack and I've seen some rippers.

Reply #402382 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Errrr..... it wasn't meant to be a serious post, but I couldn't wait until April 1.

After all, who would want a man who couldn't play basketball running around in a Sixers uniform.

Reply #402383 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Sounded pretty serious to me.

Reply #402390 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Actually Marcus, instead of the 10th man, I actually meant the coaching position. Imagine if instead of paying someone to coach the Sixers, the Sixers allowed people to pay them for the chance of coaching the Sixers! Once again, the cash flow position for the Sixers would greatly improve. Instead of say $120K flowing out of the organisation, you could get $120K flowing into the organisation

Could the "Guest Coach" do any worse?

Reply #402395 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

The only reason we lost the spoon in 2011 is due to Sydney getting accepted back into the league when there wasn't many players left to recruit.

Plus some bright spark in Sydney thought Moose would be a good coach.

Reply #402396 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@Jack Toft..

Going by the 1-13 recent record, it suggests a guest coach would not make the situation worse.

Even hypothetically, we wouldn't want to cheapen the 6'er brand by renting out the coaching position. It would surely dishonour those who held that role before it, Cole, Smythe, Clarke.

Reply #402401 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Clarke dishonours himself every single game Marcus.

Reply #402413 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Clarke has done more than enough to dishonor the Adelaide 36ers coaching role all on his own. Well, not entirely on his own, that little red headed garden gnome has helped him.

In his blog (dated today, 2 Feb 2013), Boti refers to Clarke and Radford as "in way over their heads" and "our incumbent nincompoops". Spot on IMO.

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/looking-ahead-for-the-36ers/

Reply #402414 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

And if you're going to put any name next to Ken Cole and Phil Smyth as good or great past 36ers coaches, please put Mike Dunlap there instead of Clarke. I'd even add Gary Fox to the list before even considering this ass clown (to quote pro wrestler Chris Jericho, hence the American spelling of arse)

Clarke doesn't deserve to be mentioned alongside two such greats of Australian basketball as Cole and Smyth.

Reply #402417 | Report this post

SH  
Years ago

As a longtime fan, I have been going to several Sixers games a year for the past 15+ years. Unfortunately I haven't been able to go for the last few seasons, and Friday's game was my first in over 3 years.

The main things I took away from the game were:
- During the pre-game warm-up, why was Luke practicing 3-point shots? He shot about 10 attempts, made only 1.
- there was no buzz or emotion from the players during the pre-game introductions. Most players seemed to just run out without any energy, and the first few players did not even wait for the announcer to introduce them before they ran out. They really seemed to just be going through the motions. Only Gibson and Petrie showed any spark by giving each other a 'bump'.
- Gibson was good with the Sixers kids pre-game.
- I have seen most of the televised games over the last couple years, but the Sixers offence is even uglier to watch in person. There seemed to be either a lot of movement but with no purpose, or no movement at all. Spacing was terrible, players were crowding each other, driving into each other (let alone defenders), passing to players out of position or not expecting the ball (the number of very short passes to stationary players not expecting the ball was terrible) , or simply passing the ball straight out of court.
- the players were simply out of synch with each other, and they seemed to go through very laboured cuts, screens and general movement without any scoring intention. It seemed like they were forcing passes and shots that they knew would not work to begin with, and no-one seemed disappointed when they didn't.
- it was difficult to keep track of who was on court at any time as it seemed there were subs every couple of minutes. If I as a spectator couldn't get any continuity, I hate to think what it would be like to play in that situation.
- Luke and DJ both crowded the post areas and got in each others way a lot when they were playing together. Both seemed a step behind on defence (whether by effort or ability). Luke missed several shots that he should have made too.
- DJ has a nice touch from mid-range.
- Weigh was solid at both ends. He scored a couple of times from foul line jumpers early in the game, and then I don't recall him touching the ball in that spot again for the rest of the game.
- Gibson came out after the halftime break and tried to take over the offence. It was good to see someone finally wanting to take charge and get back into the game. Even though he wasn't scoring himself he was directing the others and making the right pass to someone in good position - even if shots weren't falling and after some silly turnovers. Petrie and Weigh seemed to feed off of this too and more plays seemed to be improvised.
- It was obvious that the play-book was discarded in the last 5 mins of the game too, and the players seemed to play with more enjoyment and flair. DJ finally found space and his shot started to fall, and Cadee showed in those couple of minutes he can drive and score when there is a bit of space in the keyway.
- Woolongong's offence was simple and they executed well, often finding an open man for an easy shot. They had a lot more energy on court for the whole game and communicated well at both ends.
- the crowd was small and, for most of the game, quiet. And from the comments around us, people expected the worst from the Sixers too.
- Our hotdogs and chips were surprisingly good (not expecting much).
- Murray was good walking around the crowd getting the kids involved.

Overall, the lack of passion and energy from most of the players and feeling that they were just going through the motions for most of the game really stood out. It seemed to feed into the crowd, and was like no other Sixers game I have been to. Even during the Ninnis season the team (and crowd) had more spark. The players have the talent to be a top-4 team (if not higher), it just seems that there is a significant leadership/motivational hurdle holding them back.

Reply #402420 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@HoldenV8...

I understand your frustration @ Marty's record during his tenure.

Having said that Marty has served the 6'er organisation dutifully with honesty and integrity just like Cole and Smythe.

And to say Marty dishonours the Head Coach position I think is uncalled for.

Its not like Marty has sent the club broke like other coaches have.

Reply #402426 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@SH..

Its not the only reason.....but I put the players' lack of energy and passion down to being booed multiple times at home in fron of National TV cameras, the constant talk of who to sack and who to keep by their 'fans'.

And of course the insidious calls for the coach to be replaced.

Reply #402429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep never heard a teams fans call for their coach to be sacked before.

Reply #402430 | Report this post

bk  
Years ago

@Marcus the crowd only started booing because they were sick of seeing the same lack of energy and passion from players and coaches every week. It was purely a frustration reaction and show me a season where fans on hoops don't talk about who they would want to sack or keep. You tell us to stop bringing up the CJ issue yet you keep harping on about booing,who to sack or keep and sack Marty threads. We all know what you think and you are not going to change anyones mind so find some different excuses (like Marty does every week) i'm sure you could if you tried hard enough

Reply #402432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marcus, pretty sure none of the players would read hoops. Only you as part of the coaching duo reads and gets involved. Do you pass it onto the players during the week while going thru scouts with them? If you don't, then how would they even know people on here are talking about sacking/keeping players.

What makes Adelaide regarded as the most knowledgable fans is that they know crap coaching and subs when they see it. This would be why we cheered Crossie Friday after he had made such a great difference. Yet other times we cheer when Marty subs him off for someone else when we know he's not having a good night on court. Usually they are 'at last' cheers as the game is usually gone when a decision is finally made.

Marcus, the dumbest person in the world would realise these 2 coaches will not be given another contract here next year. The players are not playing for them anymore, that is extremely obvious. It has NOTHING to do with what the fans have done as to why the guys were flat. It has all to do with being sick of the coaches and there rigid styles.

I have been a season ticket holder for more than 15 years and I have never felt so disinterested at a game as I have these last few months. Each week I come hoping for the players to be allowed to play with some freedom and each week I go home saying I don't want to come anymore. I'll be back but I'm afraid lots won't. So Marcus, next time you and Marty chat, why don't you just decide to walk away now before you embarrass yourselves even more. We won't view you as quitters, just leaving before it gets even worse than it is. After all you wont be back next year, so why hang around?

Reply #402448 | Report this post

Dr J  
Years ago

Did Clarke and Radford employ themselves as Sixres coaches? Is it their fault that someone else has employed them to coach? Would you resign from your job if there was nowhere else to go and the people who employed you keep paying you a wage - even if all of Adelaide was blogging that you were doing a crap job?
Time for reflection everyone.

Reply #402458 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

@HoldenV8 I'd put Dunlap and Clarke in the same category: at the time they coached the 36ers they only knew how to coach kids and didn't do nearly enough with the talent they had (it's ok to start talking about Clarke's tenure with the 36ers in the past tense, right?)

Reply #402466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The one big difference between Dunlap & Clarke is that Dunlap at least took the 36ers to a GF. Clarke's best effort is not only never making the playoffs but 2nd to bottom!

Reply #402470 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

@Anonymous Yeah, I suppose Dunlap only slightly underachieved, while Clarke supremely underachieved.

Reply #402482 | Report this post

The Hydra  
Years ago

Dunlap made top 4 every season he coached. That is somewhat better than most other coaches, especially Clark.

Reply #402496 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Are people seriously comparing Dunlap and Clarke..

'kin hell...

Not that I pay any attention to the 6ers anymore..

Sort of like barracking for Richmond.

Reply #402500 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

@Thehydra With the amount of money the 36ers board gave him each year they should have dominated the league.

I'm not just talking about the player salaries, I also mean other stuff like flying half the team to California for a few weeks/months so he could train them while he finished off his last College coaching season.

Reply #402503 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@BK...

There is frustration, then there is the low act of booing your own team at home in front of National TV.

You can be frustrated without embarassing yourself, the team, the coach, the organisation and indeed the City.

Yes people talk about who to keep and sack every year on hoops, when the season has FINISHED. These threads came up @ the All-Star break.

I am not here to change anyone's mind.

If you want to hate on Marty for the sake of Hating, then I respect that choice. Where I see such injustices, I will attempt to highlight where the blame for the unfortunate season can also be apportioned.

Fully understand if you wish to ignore my points.

Reply #402510 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@Anon'448...

Firstly, I have no association to Marty, other than sharing the love of Basketball.

Secondly, Marty has proven he is not the type to walk away when the going gets tough, he willsee the job through, a trait that Daryl and the playing group obviously admire.

Your disinterest in the home game is purely your choice, I hope one day you will grow to love 6'er basketball once more.

Reply #402511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

STFU MC.

your are nothing but a troll. You knowledge of basketball is
slim to none. They only thing you have shown
Is the you may or may not have a sexual crush on Marty Clarke.

You are useless to this forum. There is not 1 person who agrees
with you. Booing happins in every sport in every league
around the world. It has not one thing to do with the results of
the 6ers winning or losing. So get of that bandwagon.

Marty Clarke will not be coach next season. If the club had
the $. He would of been sacked ages ago ! And that is quote unquote
From the inner working if the club. So stop saying Daryl and the board
admire him for staying through this tough time. Hell, if I was Marty Clarke
I would stay to if I'm getting paid as opposed to quiting and not getting paid.

I understand this is a public forum. I think I speak on behalf of all of us. WE DON'T
WANT YOU ON THIS FORUM MARCUS CAMBY !

Reply #402515 | Report this post

Vespa  
Years ago

Above post was me.

Reply #402517 | Report this post

bk  
Years ago

@ Marcus i think you should do some research there has always been talk throughout every season on who people want to keep or sack not just at the end of the season. The only injustice here is that Marty has been able to keep his job and before you go spouting off that i should stand behind the team and support them i am at every game hoping for a better performance than the insipid crap ive been subjected to lately. I love the players we have now and believe they would be performing better under a different coach and deserve to be playing with more freedom instead of being treated like children that need every little detail spelt out to them. Unfortunatly the club has decided to keep persisting with the coaching staff so i just have to accept that and prey they don't renew Marty and Radfords contracts next season.

Reply #402519 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@BK...

I look at ozhoops.

I don't see any Who should NZB keep / sack next season threads @ the All Star Break.

I don't see any Who should Perth keep / sack next season threads @ the All Star Break.

I didn't see even any Who should Townsville (at 0 - 10) keep / sack next season threads @ the All Star Break.

Doing it whilst the season is still going and when the playoffs were still a possibility is something South Australians do weel apparently.

Reply #402522 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

I echo HoldenV8's comments re Boti's blog. Agree completely. As many have said also on this forum re the coaching panel:

"Whatever they are doing is not working and their reluctance to change is reflected in Einstein's definition of insanity: "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/looking-ahead-for-the-36ers/

Also a good analysis for potential replacements for next season. Interested to hear how strongly Boti thinks Maher should be involved. Question is - how keen is Maher?

Reply #402525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He must be pretty keen for Boti to talk up his candidacy so much.

A Maher/Smyth combo for the rest of the season would be a good outcome. Gives everyone a taste and with the season destroyed by Clarke now wins won't be a big deal so can try a few things with an eye to next season.

Reply #402526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ozhoops handle topics differently. There have been many discussions about replacing Crocs players on Hoops.

Reply #402530 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

Vespa,you don't talk on behalf of me so please don't make this generalisation and while I don't agree with many of Marcus Camby's opinions I respect his right to express them. You don't need to lower yourself to attacking him, I'm sure you're better than that. If you ignore him he might possible change his material but at the moment I imagine he is viewing most people who post on here like fish in a barrel.

Marcus, it is quite possible the booing involved no more than half a dozen people. Given the crowds have sat between 3500-4500 people, half a dozen people booing does not suggest the entire fan base booed or condoned that behaviour. One person could boo and you would hear it across the entire stadium at the moment such is the level of patron noise at the end of the games these past few months.

Rat10 - Brett is interested to give it a shot if Management made it available.

My comments on last friday's game - watch the movie Groundhog Day

Reply #402603 | Report this post

Vespa  
Years ago

I have no worries with him/her expressing their opinion.
But with some of the things he has put forward. I know
He is wrong. I just have to point that out to him. Just like its my right to
notify him/her when they are wrong. If Marcus Camby did not post
again. Do u really think anyone would care?

Reply #402604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marty Clarke would.

Reply #402609 | Report this post

bk  
Years ago

@Marcus if you read my post properly i said show me a season where fans on hoops don't talk about who to keep and who to sack i didn't say anything about oz hoops

Reply #402615 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@Vespa...

I have no problem with disagreeing on points, however you go further into personal attacks.

Eg. homosexual jobes about Marty and myself.

Such things on the internet do not concern me in the slightest, I respect others' right to excercise homophobia and bigotry.

Reply #402626 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@BK...

From the way I structred my reply I as hoping that you'd pick up the the issue was Hoops' penchant for 'who to sack / keep ' threads in the MIDDLE of the season.

I am sorry that I have had to elaborate.

Reply #402627 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Sack Lemanis for 3 losses, should be 21-0
Sack Bevo for losing on Friday
Sack Gordie McLeod for recruiting players with weak knees
Sack Fearne for not getting his shoe string budget in the top 4
Sack Heal for being Heal
Sack Anstey for getting a lottery pick into the NBL while largely still in his prime
Sack Woolpert for turning things around
Keep Marty.

Reply #402630 | Report this post

Vespa  
Years ago

MC. I have many of gays friends. Both male and female.
And I 100% have nothing against anyone's choice of
sexuality, religion or race. The point I am making is that the only
way you could think Marty Clarke is doing a good job and deserves
to keep his job is someone that either had no idea about basketball
or someone who is in love with him. Most people on here think you are
a troll. Until such time you prove otherwise. You will be treated like one.
Sorry if I offended you in anyway with previous posts. Just you
could not be more wrong with the counter arguments you dribble !

Reply #402631 | Report this post

JOaRiDrAN  
Years ago

Don't patronize Mystro, it's clear Marty is a useless coach, watching his timeouts on the tv is comical, he spends 30 seconds mumbling then realises the 5 crew sitting in front of him aren't actually the 5 he wants on the court. Then shakes his head confused looking for the guy he wants on the court, by the time he figures out who his 5 are the ref blows his whistle for the game to restart. It's hilarious that this man can look in the mirror and say to himself " I belong in this position "

Marty is going to have trouble getting a job as a barista at C Coffee this April.

Reply #402656 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@Mystro...

You forgot Sack Radford for being a Ranga (applies to Bevo too).

Reply #402658 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

plus if the NBL fires every single Coach it gets one up on the NBA who pussy out and only fire half their Coaches in a week.

Reply #402660 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

You had me at 'insidious' lol

Tr0lling at a new level - impressive stuff.

Reply #402664 | Report this post

bk  
Years ago

@ Marcus i can think of a couple of instances a couple of years ago people calling for Balls to be sacked halfway through the season and various imports before that on hoops so it was you mis-reading what i was trying to say

Reply #402671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rat, oops I mean Marcus Camby, how disgraceful of Adelaide fans talking about who to keep/sack halfway thru the year! I guess they learnt this from you and Marty. Every year of your almighty 3 year plan you have had this very discussion yourselves. And we have had to sit and watch as you have sacked import after import..... Sometimes not even half way thru the year. So shut up about us fans discussing who we think is not performing and how we would love to see the team improve. After all it's because we care and want to see us in finals.

Reply #402750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, agree with poster above me. Even the martians on uranus can see that Clarke needs to be sacked.

Reply #402755 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:28 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754