Anonymous
Years ago

Botys blog re coaches

Just read Botys latest blog,

I think Boty has hit the nail on the head.

Show the coaches the door,

I'd like to see Maher/Arsego, get Smyth involved if him and Maher are willing to work together, given the go for the last few games, see how they go and advertise the job and review all candidates in the offseason the get the right man for the job. Couldnt get any worse than the current coaches and more fans would come so the change could pay for itself, Maher could end up doing a Heal and improving results and winning the job longer term, which would be awesome imo.

Topic #30722 | Report this topic

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

If Boti is so knowledgeable why hasnt he ever out his hand up to coach?

Reply #402472 | Report this post

Starks  
Years ago

I'd like to see Maher in the assistant role. He has no coaching experience & should not be given the head role. If he can prove that he has coaching ability at NBL level then give the favourite son the job. At this point the 36ers need an experienced, seasoned head coach. Smyth would be interesting, as would Wright, as would everyone Nagy mentioned in his blog.

Reply #402475 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

Honestly anyone at this stage would get people excited.

Reply #402478 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Muzz Buzz he has every right to an opinion as a sports writer & a fan. Boti wasn't even a very good player but by god he is passionate about the game & especially his 36ers. He is also absolutely spot on!!!

Reply #402485 | Report this post

Achtung Baby  
Years ago

Thats an extremely ignorant comment Muzz Buzz... You are a clown!

Reply #402487 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think everyone except Marcus Camby knows the 36ers need a new coach. Most of us dont know the reasons why ownership havent made a change. Im sure they can see the team sucks, there must be another reason.

But yes, I think anyone would make a welcome change at this point, it's a bit scary what Perth might do to them next Friday.

Reply #402489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti has a bit more time on his hands these days. Coaching the Sixers might be one of his goals, perhaps CEO :-)

Reply #402497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Players would walk if the current coaches were sacked.

Reply #402505 | Report this post

bk  
Years ago

Where would the players walk to at this stage of the season. That's why i feel it's a great idea to try a different coach now. If the rumours about coach clauses are true it will give the players a chance to see how it could be better playing under a different coach they might even get some enjoyment out of playing again which would go a long way to getting some wins.

Reply #402509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boti is not passionate about the sixers. He is sinicle and sarcastic. Nothing he says is any stroke of genius and in fact we have been saying all that on here for ages.

Maybe he gets his facts from hoops

Reply #402521 | Report this post

Dillon  
Years ago

Get Joyce, championship coach and former boomers 2nd in charge...

Reply #402540 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Few good options he has suggested.

Not sure i'm sold on Symth or even Maher....Maher is a legend but what coaching expereince has he got?

Love to see Maher in an assistant or skills development role so he can continue to promote the sport via his media roles.

Plus would hate to see his legacy diminshed as guys like him and Gaze are league/club legends and the coaching thing aint for everyone!

Reply #402541 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

With the season cooked keeping the coaches is sensible financial decision by management rather than paying people not to coach when your are looking at a club restructure.

It also starts the 'keep the interim' debate. It is best to interview with a view to next season.

Axing him now so Boti can say I told you so when they win a dead rubber or two means nought.

Reply #402543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Too true Tiger Watcher...

*Cough* Anstey *Cough*

Reply #402546 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

gee people are a little touchy.
Boti clearly is very knowledgeable and shares his knowledge through the media. He isnt afraid to call management or a player out when they aren't performing. He knows what defence and what offence should be run each game for each opposition team. He too obviously has a great relationship with all the players so recruiting a great team wont be a problem for him. And because he loves the 36ers and basketball so much i reckon he would do the job for next to nothing.

Reply #402547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sick to Death of Ex players with ZERO coaching experience getting coaching gigs in the NBL just because they were great players.
Coaching at that level requires a lot of COACHING experience, not PLAYING experience.
It makes a complete mockery of our league, show me another pro league in the world that just hand out coaching gigs to ex players with no coaching experience.

Reply #402549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea i agree its not always best to get star players as coaches, not all work, but some do.

As for coaches in other leagues/sports with little previous coaching experience, off the top of my head AFL - Hird, Voss, even Barassi started coaching as a player/coach so didnt have any coaching experience either, NBA - Mark Jackson,

Not always ideal, but it can work, it just wont always work, just like hiring a guy with several years of AIS/lower level coaching can work and turn out to be great coaches ala Geordie McLeod, but wont always ie Clark and Radford.

Its a risk either way imo, just try and get the best person for the job, 1st criteria for me is passion for the game/club, which you could definatly say someone like Maher has, if he has interest in coaching id like them to get him involved whether its head coach or assistant, and why not give him the head coaching role for the rest of the season, what we got to lose. As for tarnishing his legacy, his playing career will always be amazing, and will always be a great club man, no matter how good a coach he is. Is Jordan seen as a worse player due to his stint at the Wizards or his President/GM roles? I dont think so, most still regard him as the greatest of all time, for his career at the Bulls. Same would be for Maher we would still love him, either way, and he couldnt really be worse than Clarke so what we got to lose?

Reply #402552 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

I don't care if some of the players walk, if the "coaching" team get sacked. What a pissy little threat. Good, don't let the doors hit your butts on the way out!

I'd rather have guys here who gave a crap about the team itself, rather than protecting a coach who is helping them lose week in, week out.

Bye, won't miss any of them.

Reply #402553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The thing about the AFL example is AFL Teams have a deep comprehensive coaching teams.
Hird has one of the best as his assistant, and other very experienced assistants there too. Voss/Buckley were assistants before taking over too.

Reply #402554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBA

Reply #402555 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

When you are involved with some players you just know they will make good coaches. Nothing wrong with employing them without experience as long as they havent been too long out of the game and they have an experienced assistant(s).

Reply #402556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are kidding Muzz. He has a great relationship with himself. It's easy to call people out as you put when just stating the obvious or using your media influence for your own personal agenda.

He has a passion for himself. No one else !

Reply #402557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Speed ??! You attack the players for apparently not wanting to be there if the coaches are sacked and call them weak. How is that any different to apparent supporters that threaten to not renew or not go because of the coach.

Can't have it all one way.

Reply #402558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

True about AFL guys like Hird having an experienced coaching team behind him, what is stopping a Maher/Smyth/Arsego combo? Would be the NBL/36ers equivalent imo, i guess the biggest thing would be if Smyth would work with Maher in a senior assistants/mentor role, they had a good player/coach relationship didnt they? why wouldnt they? I have seen them in media things since Smyth stopped coaching and they have always seemed to have a good relationship and talk fondly of each other so was under the impression they would work well together.

As for players walking if Clark sacked, so be it, would rather replace those players and sack Clark than keep Clark just to keep a few underperforming players happy.

Reply #402559 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Does Marty Clarke ever get angry and give his players a serve. Havent seen him fire up once this season.Are the players complacent?

Reply #402562 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

The players won't walk if the coach does as they won't get paid.....pretty hard to pay your bills with no income so whomever said they will walk is talking cr*p!

the players are professional and as per anywork place people leave etc but despite being happy or unhappy with people getting sacked we all got bills to pay!

Reply #402563 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

No offence but why would you support a coach who has taken you to two wooden spoons and a second to bottom in three years? Especially with the roster we have this year.
Trust me, he won't be getting a head coaching job anywhere else.
I totally agree with "bk", if Maher wants it, chuck him in. It gives you a great idea as to whether he has the potential and if he does then it may entice the players to stay.
If he doesn't nothing lost, go get yourself an experienced coach who the players will respect enough to stay. Perhaps ask the new coach is happy with Maher as an assistant while he's there.

Reply #402568 | Report this post

Achtung Baby  
Years ago

I cant see why it is a financial decision to keep him now... Did anyone see the crowd at friday nights game. The longer he coaches, the less and less people will come to see the games. I think that is more a worry for the management.

And dont get me started with BSA's decision to continuously hold junior district games on fridays of sixers games. In my day it was plain simple. Sixers on a friday night, meant a bye on friday night for all juniors.

Reply #402572 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

Can't see the financial side? The season is dead. Fans have made their choice. They will return with a new coach and new hope next season.

Cutting bait now does nothing but spawn another Marty thread.

Reply #402576 | Report this post

Sportsnut  
Years ago

Boti, has let the cat out of the bag. Adelaides favorite son Brett Maher will be coaching
the 36ers next season and Frank Arsego will be on the coaching staff. It will announced immediately after the 36ers last game!

Reply #402581 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

@ anon #402558

What's the difference? Really??!! If you can't see the difference, then that is your problem.

I never called them "weak", but if they do leave because of it, fine. I care not. Be thankful that they get to play a game for a living, and don't forget that it's the fans, not their coaches, that pay their wages, and basically keep them in work. Unless of course, you're a low paid import scapegoat.

How dare they threaten us with "We're gonna leave if Marty does" type statements?!?! Good! Leave, as I said, if that's their attitude, then f**k 'em. There aren't many from this lineup right now, who I'd want to stay anyway.

Reply #402582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If thats the case re Maher/Arsego taking over next season, then why not give them the rest of this season to get started and use it as a bit of a trial?

Nothing to lose imo, more fans would come aswell so financially could pay for itself.

Come on 36ers please make it happen, enough is enough with Marty, you will lose more $$ keeping him than sacking him.

Reply #402584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smyth won't be in there, end of story. His media train has already left the station to garner support but the management will have nothing to do with him.
Maher will have nothing to do with him. Smyth kisses Boti's arse so Boti jumps on board, but going down that road would be the biggest disaster to befall this great club. Well, maybe second after the current fiasco.

Reply #402585 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Achtung Baby

A little off topic but bang on with your comment. Are BSA and SOS not working together re Friday night games. I couldn't believe how depressing the game looked on TV last week with the lack of numbers in the crowd.

Reply #402595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He must be pretty keen for Boti to talk up his candidacy so much.

A Maher/Smyth combo for the rest of the season would be a good outcome. Gives everyone a taste and with the season destroyed by Clarke now wins won't be a big deal so can try a few things with an eye to next season.

Reply #402601 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

To put another reason forward as to why the players support him, remember that even though he's failed miserably as the 36ers coach, Marty Clarke is still one of the Boomers assistant coaches. I would guess that other than Christopherson (nationality) and probably Crosswell and Schenscher (age/ability), most of the 36ers current roster would still have Boomers aspirations, be it a long shot or not. If they came out and publicly bagged Clarke as 36ers coach and/or stated they no longer supported him, what would their chances of being ever selected for the Boomers while he's the assistant?

There is more at stake for the players than most people would think. It would almost be career suicide right now (at least internationally) for the players not to publicly support Clarke.

I'm not saying I'm right in what I've just typed because the players probably have different reasons for supporting Clarke, but its a possibility.

Reply #402608 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

players will always support the coach until he gets the door and then the stories will come out.
Think about Neil Craig, the sixers could be just like the crows under a fresh new coach.

Reply #402611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And I go back toy original point. Nori has shown no words of wisdom. We all expect the coach to go. We all expect new ones the fun debate is who. It's no real genius to list all the obvious ones. How about some left field ones.

Phil Jackson !

Reply #402612 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Lindsay Hunter just got a head coaching gig with the Phoenix Suns with zero coaching experience

Reply #402613 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I'd love to know what the likes of Balls, Jacob Holmes, Brad Hill, Aaron Bruce and Rhys Carter would have to say (at least privately) about Clarke's coaching and how they feel about not playing under him in Adelaide anymore.

As for a new coach, I've said all along that the 36ers would be crazy to go with a 3rd rookie coach in a row, especially after the last 4 dismal seasons. But at this stage of the game, even Brett Maher would be better IMO. Can't see a change happening until next season though.....unfortunately.

Reply #402617 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Smart post HoldenV8 - the most likely reason the players won't bag Clarke would be becaus ethey want to be considered for Boomer call up. There are so many reasons to get rid of him, but I cant think of one to keep him.

Reply #402619 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

One reason? He hasn't completed his three year master plan yet! Just wait for the results then!

Reply #402622 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

And at the end of this 3 year term, Marty would have achieved quite a bit on the developmental front.

The next coach will inherit a very strong squad.

Much stronger than @ the start of Marty's tenure.

I trust the Board and the fans will give the appropriate amount of props should Marty not be re-signed next season.

Reply #402624 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I don't want to see Marty Clarke go, if he does then Adelaide may start winning games and we can't have Adelaide causing upsets to end the season... And crowds returning to games.

Oh and I've said it before Adelaide, you need a new court announcer, he sucks

Reply #402625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely this thread has gone far enough. We have already been told he won't be sacked before the end of season.

We already know the list of potential new coaches available do are we just back to hating for the sake of hating again.

Reply #402629 | Report this post

Vespa  
Years ago

Who has he developed MC? The 6ers have had a different squad each year.
Development would mean he has had most of the same players for 3 seasons and improved them. Name 1 player who has developed ?

Reply #402632 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Marcus camby u r a pisser!!

Keep it up it's hilarious....

Reply #402633 | Report this post

Heard a rumour Camby's working two jobs so he can afford all the bait he's using.

WARNING: don't feed the Troll!

Reply #402698 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

He doesn't need bait on his hooks anymore

Reply #402700 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

I think there are some great Coaches available. The team needs an experienced Coach that has won games on a conssitent basis without getting owners to break the bank to win
Eddie Groves bought a winning team for Wright and he also had the Gold Coast owner doing the same thing.
Brett Maher should not be involved as he has never coached.
It is not about emotion and it would be another poor decision as it would be to sign Smythe who need a group to keep buying the best players to succeed
We got to get it right this time and it cant be a popularity contest.

Reply #402835 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:40 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754