NBL KINGS
Years ago

How do NBL teams travel to games?

i was just wondering how Nbl teams travel around to games, i know some nba teams have private jets, but how about nbl teams, do they have private flights? You would think they wouldent put a bunch of professional basketball payers on a public flight, with random people that could yell at them or something.

Topic #30738 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

On normal planes so people can yell at them.

Reply #402958 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Not quite at private jet level!

Reply #402960 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Funniest thread ever.

Reply #402962 | Report this post

NBL KINGS  
Years ago

so you could be on a flight to sydney and be sitting next to cedric jackson?
Ahahaha

Reply #402963 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

They fly Virgin. Usually a couple of days before the game. If you are lucky you can have a beer with them in the Virgin Lounge.

Reply #402964 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Haha I love the assumption that basketball fans are so die hard in Australia that Nbl players will get abused when in public.

Reply #402966 | Report this post

NBL KINGS  
Years ago

i came off stupid in this thread ahahaha
I know nbl players don't have private jets. Ahahaa
I need to word my post's better.
But seriously, how mad would it be to be sitting near your favourite player?

Reply #402967 | Report this post

CR  
Years ago

The main problem is they have to take out the row of seats in front of them - especially for the bigs.

Creates havoc with the seat allocation when a row or two goes missing.

Reply #402968 | Report this post

NBL KINGS  
Years ago

what about nrl and a league players?

Reply #402969 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Does Virgin pay for the flights since they are a sponsor?

Reply #402970 | Report this post

CR  
Years ago

^^Problem with NRL players is that they are short but wide - need to allocate two seats each.

A League players are just fine and dandy - normal size just like the rest of us.

It's a tough life being a sporting airline - all sorts of problems to deal with.

In fact, I hear the next series of Airline will deal just with Virgin and all the problems with their sport deals.

Reply #402973 | Report this post

NBL KINGS  
Years ago

always wondered how a 7'2 basketball player fits in tiny seats.
Hahaha
Honestly, what kind of cars would the big guys need to drive?

Reply #402975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

big ones?

Reply #402980 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Big ones with open roofs so people can yell at them - hahaha

Reply #402986 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Minis hahahaha

Reply #402988 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

moped's

Reply #402993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is comedy

Reply #402998 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

CR - back in the early 1990s, my then boss was in the USA boarding a 'plane. The guy in front of him was HUGE - turned out to be a sumo wrestler (Akebono as it happened). He had to have 2 seats and that was in first class!

Reply #403001 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I would like to know what the deal the NBL has with Virgin Australia... It's all good and well having teams pay extra so travel expenses are all even but a quality sponsor would make that easier too and sadly I don't see anyone associated with NBL needing to be quality... But in saying that it would be good to see NBL get sponsored by a hotel company as well and make travel less costly.

Reply #403026 | Report this post

CR  
Years ago

@PeterJohn, yeah you hear various stories of large people struggling with air travel - not just sports people - which is slowly getting worse as airlines squeeze the seat layouts to get as many people as possible into the tiny silver tube.

While NBL teams will no doubt never have private jets ... perhaps BA will need to create "BA Air" ... a nicely configured charter jet with very large seats to fly around the country delivering NBL/WNBL players to their games.

As an added bonus, every four years it could also fly the national teams to the Olympics - although the Opals and Boomers would have to have a big bun fight over who gets to sit up the front. LOL ...

Reply #403038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All sporting clubs fly commercial. I was on a plane 2 weeks ago with the Melbourne Rebels and have also been on a plane with Melbourne Demons. I think the more experience you have equals the better seats because I remember short Nathan Jones had an emergency exit seat while a much taller kid was squashed in a normal seat.

Reply #403041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #403042 | Report this post

NBL KINGS  
Years ago

whatare melbourne demons? baseball or something?

Reply #403043 | Report this post

Triton 95  
Years ago

I was on a plane from Bris to sydney or sydney to Bris (can't remember) and was pretty close to the Indian cricket team. Not that I care about cricket, I actually think its one of the most over-rated and boring sports in the world.

Reply #403046 | Report this post

CR  
Years ago

@NBL KINGS Melbourne Demons = Melbourne Football Club = AFL.

Jeeesh ya gotta know all your sports dude, even on a basketball forum ...

Reply #403048 | Report this post

NBL KINGS  
Years ago

i live in n.s.w
Afl is gay here, seriously the area where i live, its all nrl, not many people care about afl where i live . Sorry

Reply #403060 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

Funny thread.

As if their main fear would be getting yelled at because someone doesn't like their team. Chances are, if anyone cottons on to them being a professional sport player, they'll be wondering what AFL team they're a ruckman for or which cricket team they are a fast bowler on!

And what cars would they travel in? Well, Andrew Bogut answered this question yesterday:

https://twitter.com/andrewbogut/status/299071337845125120

or

http://pics.lockerz.com/s/281718036

Reply #403067 | Report this post

CR  
Years ago

@NBL KINGS that's ok, thugby is gay where I live ...

Reply #403071 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

@CR What's gay about a sport in which a player was found guilty of inserting his finger in 3 other players anuses?

@NBL Kings I also don't live in a state where people care about rugby and yet not only do I know the names of the teams, but I can make in(pardon the pun)-jokes about it. Unignorant yourself, boy!

Reply #403078 | Report this post

CR  
Years ago

^Dude, no one else is taking that word in the same negative context you are - lighten up.

Allow me to help you - from dictionary.com

"Slang: awkward, stupid, or bad; lame: This game is really gay."

The rest of us are having a laugh, you just ruined the thread - thanks.

For me, thread out.

Reply #403092 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

Oh wow.
I didn't realise the monster I had become.

You've made me had a long hard look at myself, and in the cold light of day, I am horrified at what stares back at me.

Ruined the thread? Get over yourself CR.

Oh, and since we're using definitions from dictionary.com, you're doing a great job of ignoring the first two definitions it lists, and then mangling the last definition to suit your purposes.

Because it didn't help your cause, you left out the beginning of the definition you used:
"OFTEN DISPARAGING AND OFFENSIVE. awkward, stupid, or bad; lame: CR's post is really gay."

For you, finger in.
For me, thread out!

Reply #403112 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

Jeeesh ya gotta know all your definitions dude, even on a basketball forum ...

Reply #403113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you ask a very good question i believe when teams go from nz to perth they do so using aeroplanes!!!!

Reply #403117 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

Teams travel economy as a cost saving measure. Believe it is still done by the league with a set number - ie, 15 spots (10 players and 5 staff).

Blocks of seats will be booked in order to keep the group as close as possible. Taller players usually request 'evac point' seats to get a bit more leg room. If the coaches don't get in first.

The use of the Virgin Lounge is very handy. Good food, plenty of space to spread out (or lay down). Good for coaches to chat and strategize.

Reply #403131 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Hilarious thread.

MC's new account?

Reply #403140 | Report this post

Bullet4life  
Years ago

I've seen all the Qld teams both old & new many many times on flights.
My observations:
Crocs roll in style up in business/premium & they have definitely chartered flights many times.
Taipans poor crammed sardines & wow everytime I've seem them they are grumpy.
Gold Coast only coach & obese manager in good seats with big guys in exit rows.

Then they seem to use airport transfer buses or hire cars on the ground.

Reply #403145 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

I guess not everyone can have Mark Cuban as owner of their team

http://boeingbusinessjet.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Boeing-727-30.jpg

Reply #403147 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

They fly exclusively with Virgin Australia. Teams are always allocated the 12 emergency exit seats in the middle of the plane.

I've recently been on Townsville - Sydney flights with the Wildcats and The Hawks the morning after their matches.

There are some very long flights involved, particularly from Noth Queensland to Perth/Adelaide and Auckland to Perth, which are around 7 hours flying time. I heard that the other week, the Crocs got on the 12am red eye to Brisbane straight after their game in Perth, having done a fair few red eyes, I'd imagine that was tough following a game!

Reply #403157 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

lol well this thread took a turn

Reply #403158 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

@Ingles13 Didn't just take a turn. More twists than a season of Homeland.
I just wish CR could be here right now to see how far we've all come :(

Reply #403204 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:30 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754