Isaac
Years ago

Lauren Jackson to miss 2013 WNBA season

Australian Opal and international basketball superstar Lauren Jackson has confirmed she will not return to the United States to play in the upcoming 2013 Women's National Basketball Association season.

Jackson’s WNBA club, the Seattle Storm, today announced she would sit the 2013 season out and remain in Australia to continue rehabilitation for her ongoing hamstring injury.

Following a recent post-operative review, Jackson is expected to make a full recovery. However, as a result of the injury, she has also been unable to take the court for the Canberra Capitals during the 2012/13 WNBL season.

She will remain under contract to play for the Storm during the 2014 WNBA season, and has reiterated her intent to play with the team during that season.

Jackson thanked the Storm for their continued support since 2001, indicating that she had made the decision now to give the team the best possible opportunity to prepare for the upcoming season.

"I’m so pleased with the medical view that I will make a full recovery, but I know I have to be patient and not rush the process," Ms Jackson said.

“My main and only focus at the moment is to get back to my physical best through fitness, strength and skills.

“After that, I’ll look at my options and an on court plan that best suits me for the future as I want to play on for some time yet.”

Topic #30741 | Report this topic

Triton 95  
Years ago

Hopefully she will be fresh and injury free for the world champs in 2014. With a healthy Jackson, A fresh Penny Taylor (back from injury) an In-form Liz Cambage plus the inclusion of Erin Phillips and hopefully a new coach the Aussies might be in good shape.

Reply #403045 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Yep, I see this as good news for the same reason.
LJ of any previous year would not have made this move. She would have returned to playing ASAP, i.e. only 80% fit, and struggled through as a shadow of her real self.
Good decision.
If she's 100% by mid year then a WNBL season for Canberra might be on the cards. That would be a nice cruisy gig to transition her back to the big leagues.

Reply #403109 | Report this post

Years ago

What is the exact nature of her injury?

Reply #403124 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:22 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754