shoppa
Years ago

Where do you think Brock Motum will end up?

Senior this season at Washington State, averaging 18.2 points and 6.6 rebounds. Very solid player.. I believe he will receive a Summer League invite but most likely Europe, what is you guys thoughts?

Topic #30778 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

I think a couple of NBL teams are preparing to make a big run at him but Europe is probably a likely option.

Reply #403576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nbl or europe for sure. a boomer prospect for 2014 world cup

Reply #403577 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Why would he play NBL with all the European offers that will come, he is suited to physicality and structure.
NBL he'd get caught up in what at times resembles a domestic game played by bigger more talented athletes.

Reply #403578 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Yeah Europe most likely.

Baynes numbers at WSU his senior season were 12.4 pts and 6.5 rpg,.
Motum is a very capable scorer so if he spends some time playing for a descent team in europe and continues to play hard and improve he would most likely find himself with some NBA interest.

Reply #403580 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

He is ahead of Baynes at the same time.
Atm Europe, if he's outside shot develops then NBA is a possibility, but not yet.

Reply #403583 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

@Melbourne Boy, I think Motum has a decent bball IQ so he should be able to adjust to the switching defences in the NBL, so I dont think that would be an issue.

But at 6'10 with a nice jumper I think something more lucrative might come his way, especially without an NBL team in his home town.

Reply #403585 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Motum puts up very similar numbers to Kelly Olynyk @ Gonzaga

Motum 18.3 pts, 6.7 rpg, FT% 74, Blks 1

Olynyk 18.2pts, 6.8 rpg, FT% 78, Blks 1

Yet, Olynyk is projected to go #20 in 2013 NBA draft by Draft Express.

Reply #403589 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Paul, of course he would be able to play NBL, but why would he.

Reply #403591 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Wow @Lance_Uppercut its ridiculous how similar those numbers are!! Kelly has been huge for the Zags this season, Did anyone catch the St Marys game today well the last 10 minutes or so ( bloody 5th overtime). Great game from Delly looked the real deal tonight!

Reply #403593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The difference is that Gonzaga is ranked #6 in the country and Washington State keep loosing. Since Washington State wont make the NCAA tourney, I think Brock will fall off most NBA radar's. I think Brock is a good player but unlikely to make it to the NBA as he isn't a rebounder and isn't athletic enough for an NBA 4.

With his offensive game, he is good enough for Europe and will most likely end up there. Would be god to see him in the NBL paired up with an athletic big import who can rebound, but would imagine he would get more $$'s in Europe.

Reply #403596 | Report this post

Rav  
Years ago

Difference is:
Olynyk - FG% - 65% - 3pt% - 35% on a avg of 10 shots & 25 Mins per game
Motum - FG% - 45% - 3pt% - 34% on a avg of 14.5 shots & 34 Mins per game

If Olynyk got as many shots & played as many mins as Motum he would avg 20pts a game.

Motum is great to watch & has a big future.

I read somewhere St Marys offered him a scholarship.
Can you imagine how good it would of been to have Delly & Motum at St Marys this year. They would of been a top 25 team.

Reply #403726 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

@Melbourne Boy, sorry it read as if you were saying he'd struggle with the switching defences in the NBL. I obviously read it wrong.

I dont think he will play NBL next year, but Nevill and Knight were both conference players of the year and came here before Europe so who knows?

Reply #403730 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Yeah I appreciate the difference Rav, but having seen Olynyk play a couple of times it seems many of his shots come from inside from easy looks, against bigs in the WCC who aren't that good, so i was surprised at the interest as a potential 1st round draft because he may struggle against decent defenders.

Reply #403757 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Motum is the #1 player at WSU and attracts all the attention. He gets very little support on the offensive end most games and hence teams double him at every opportunity. Do the same to Olynyk and the 'Zag's have multiple other players that will hurt you.

Having said that, Motum I think will attract some attention from the NB buyt will go undrafted. He will probably get a Summerleague gig and end up in Europe along similar lines to Ogilvy. His game just seems to be made for the European style...

Reply #403769 | Report this post

Rav  
Years ago

Fair Point Lance_uppercut.
Zags do have a better rotation of Bigs.
I also must admit that Motum plays in a tougher conference than the Zags.

Reply #403812 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:46 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754