Anonymous
Years ago

Sixers Board Member on Talking Hoops tonight

Dont forget to ring Talking Hoops tonight between 6.30-8 on 8371 1000 and ask Sixer Board Member David Spear the hard questions on all the issues.....Farley, Bradtke, Maher, marketing, etc.

Topic #3078 | Report this topic

saint Nick  
Years ago

Party line response "we did all we can to recruit players XYZ and we felt they would not have taken our offer serious anyway. At the end of the day the club is doing all it came in relation to the marketing of the club, our hands are tired with a strict budget"

Reply #35212 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Going to be occupied elsewhere tonight, but if anyone wants some questions:

How's the clean-up of the Dome going? Is that a target before NBL tip-off?

When you can choose between signing Maher with an outclause and not signing him until the last second, if at all, what advantages are there with waiting until the last minute to know whether he will be available? (Either way, if he goes, he goes.)

How would you rate the club management's rapport with fans? Do you think it has improved over the last three months or declined?

If there is room for improvement, what would be the three key areas in which this could occur?

Do you believe that association ownership of the NBL team is the ideal structure? If so, why is Adelaide the only club with this scenario? If not, can you see this changing? Perhaps there is an ideal middle-ground?

Would a lifting of the government's loan repayment 'pause' put the organisation over the edge financially? What is your personal view on an ideal future scenario for SA basketball with regard to the Dome loan? What is your guess at the most likely future scenario?

If money were not an issue, who would you sign for 2005/06 out of Paul Rees, Nick Hambour and Blake Truslove?

Reply #35218 | Report this post

ashman  
Years ago

i am going out this afternoon to buy a cable to hook up my stereo to my computer so i can record it. if it is small enough i will put it on my isp webspace for people to download if required. if not i will put it on my webserver at home on my adsl connection it wont be fast but it will be there.

Reply #35228 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Go Ashman....pirating his own sixers DVDs and now creating your own mini radio playback....love your work

Reply #35229 | Report this post

AsIseeIt  
Years ago

On a lighter note- ask Belly why Blake Truslove reckons he should step out 'behind' the circle to take foul shots and why is he Mr 12.5%?

Reply #35240 | Report this post

ashman  
Years ago

Sorry but I dont appear to be able to tune the stereo in whilst it is near the the computer, so i wont be recording it tonight. If I can get a longer cable I may be able to do it in the future.

Reply #35254 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

It is broadcast online, so wouldnt it be possible to record that feed? without the need of a stero.

Reply #35256 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Besides Paul Bauer's no longer required team manager job and the "show of good will" part time job of Mark Davis, Why hasn't the club used more ex players and current players in admin roles of the sixers or BASA.?
Ofcourse training and education would be required for these roles.
Surely having ex players and current players in admin roles benifit both parties.

Reply #35264 | Report this post

ashman  
Years ago

good point DJ i might give that a try.

Reply #35269 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

ANON, part of me wonders at the efficiency of having ex-players in performance-based roles for the sake of it, especially positions for which there are alternatives available with a higher level of training and experience.

But there are definitely cases where I think that a current or ex-player is very much suited to the role (certain marketing and sponsorship positions, development positions, etc). Someone developing basketball at a junior level amongst school kids is definitely one position in which an ex-player would be highly appropriate -- not only is that individual teaching skills and passing on stories, but they're getting that word "Sixers" out there to younger kids. That's good and easy grassroots PR.

Blake Truslove had a role in this area while with the Breakers in NZ and I think that's a good scenario for the club (as long as he keeps his talks G-rated!).

Another advantage of placing ex-players in public roles is that they're used to dealing with fans all the time. They're used to dealing with common questions and comments ("You're tall..."), side-stepping questions best left alone, staying positive, and so on.

Something that the Sixers definitely do well is rotate the players for the after-game chat up in the restaurant -- great opportunity for fans, but also gives the players experience in rambling on in public.

I think Rupert Sapwell is a great example of someone who could be utilised by the club, and I've been saying that for a couple of years now.

Reply #35276 | Report this post

STIP  
Years ago

I agree with you, Isaac.

What is the point on having someone with no marketing experience in a marketing position? Particularly given that this is an area the 6ers are seriously lacking.

Mind you, once you realise that the "random" seat draws for some half-time entertainment aren't so random, it kind of blows any illusion of the 6ers caring about the fans.

Reply #35280 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

(Mod: This post is not available.)

Reply #35284 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

http://www.coastfm.com.au/

I still can't get my ogg world to work (maybe Alan Ogg is to blame!) but I'm getting there.

Reply #35287 | Report this post

ashman  
Years ago

I got the stream to work, it worked ok for the first 5-10 minutes then obviously a few hoops fans logged on and blew it away cos mine rebuffered more than played and after 30mins it all turned to crap and i couldnt get anything - so no recording this week, ill try to get a longer cable so i can move the stereo further away for next week.

Reply #35317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thought the show was great last night - Jason dix and david spear were good in the studio.

Spear addressed many of the recent issues and gave a different perspective and even released a scoop that they are talking to Dix!

Was also interesting to hear CJ Bruton admit that goorjian has loosened up his style of coaching and how he treats players due to the success of the sixers against his teams in the past.

Reply #35320 | Report this post

JimBob  
Years ago

Show was a corker last night. Spear answered all the questions very well and Jason Dix was very articulate. The interview with Matthew Campbell from the players assocaition was also interesting.

The highlight was the producer mentioning Belly's 11% foul shooting. All goes well for the Eagles this weekend FOUL FOUL FOUL.

Reply #35322 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Any info re Spear's responses?

Reply #35328 | Report this post

Tomcat  
Years ago

As for the sixers being sold?

Did he comment on that? The 1.2 mil offer to buy them? anyone raise this with him?

Tom

Reply #35336 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

He said that he and the sixers board were unaware of any offer to buy them, he also said that that does not mean that someone has not spoken to BASA.

Reply #35339 | Report this post

Pierre  
Years ago

Belly should shoot his foul shots from 3 point land

Reply #35340 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:26 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754