Isaac
Years ago

Rachel Jarry headed to the WNBA

Australian Opals and Bulleen Boomers star Rachel Jarry is heading to the WNBA, with the Minnesota Lynx signing the 21-year-old for the upcoming 2013 season.

Coming off a breakout Olympic campaign that saw her help the Australian Opals the Bronze Medal in London, Jarry has enjoyed another strong WNBL season, catching the eye of the Lynx coaching staff.

Selected at pick 18 of the 2011 WNBA Draft by the Atlanta Dream, Jarry was traded on draft day to the Minnesota Lynx.

Despite her young age, Jarry has established herself as one of the premier players in the WNBL, winning All Star Five honours in 2012.

Topic #30809 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Well done! Another young Aussie doing well...

Reply #404258 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Aw , OK .

(Ch7 news just showed a girl doing a full court shot
that bounced inside the 3point line and went in.
2points counted . )

Reply #404260 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

Excellent reward for a solid young player.

Reply #404265 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Great work. Very deserving.

Reply #404266 | Report this post

Damrob  
Years ago

That's awesome news! She had a tough run to get there.

Reply #404298 | Report this post

Triton 95  
Years ago

Didin't have the best WNBL saeson but is WNBA quality, Well done.

Reply #404329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Little surprised with this, it certainly hasn't been her best WNBL season this year. Would need to continue to improve her conditioning & outside shot to become a servicable WNBA player. Good luck to her though with this exciting opportunity.

Reply #404334 | Report this post

Triton 95  
Years ago

Anon ^ I think the Lynx want her for her defence and toughness, they were short last year on interior bench players who could play defence. I agree her shot needs work, her last few games have been an improvment on earlier in the season. She could have a huge game this week against Adelaide just to prove to the Aussie public she deserves this WNBA signing.
I think this will improve her game before next years worlds which is another bonus for the Opals.

Reply #404350 | Report this post

Will be a good learning experience for her .....hope she gets court time and does not just go over to sit on bench

Reply #404352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^Triton 95^^ - I would'nt have associated Jarry with being a great defender. She certainly plays a physical brand of basketball that pushes the boundaries at times.

Reply #404353 | Report this post

and do we all believe she rates in the current top 10 australian women players

Reply #404359 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Is this the old TVOR or a new TVOR ?

If the old TVOR ... where have you been ????

Reply #404361 | Report this post

new on this site was on the old BigV chat

Reply #404364 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

"Rachel Jarry is heading to the WNBA" doesn't mean she will make the team btw. If she does I think it will be great for the development of her game, even if she does play only token minutes (which I think is all we can realistically expect, given how strong a team Minnesota is).
I wish her the bets of luck. The more aussies in the WNBA the better, and numbers have been a been down lately.

Reply #404505 | Report this post

aristotle  
Years ago

i presume she has signed to a camp.

i remember when summerton went over to the sun - she was doing well here and a couple of seasons with thibault, hawkes and maddox - had her come back so much tougher, stronger and more moves - i reckon we will see the same from jarry.

Hawkes did a great job getting laura to the next step - jarry will only get better with whalen, moore and augustus around her.

Reply #404519 | Report this post

Years ago

Tvor think more of what she is capable of

Reply #404663 | Report this post

still believe she would be better suited staying home working on her game and becoming the go to player next year at Bullen then going to US
If she goes to US now she will be no more than a role player

Reply #404701 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:40 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754