2FAST4U
Years ago

Shane Heal V Patty Mills

Which player is/was better?

I was thinking of this comparison before and realized they both play fairly similiarly in that they both play like undersized SG in the PG position.

Athleticism- Shane Heal could never really dunk or anything but Mills isn't a flyer either. Speed wise would defs go to Mill.

Longetivity- Heal.

Skill wise they match up fairly even for me except Mills has done more on the international scale especially in the olympics. Heal played NBA as well but he never was really given the chance to prove himself but NBL wise the edge goes to Heal.

Thoughts?

Topic #30836 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

NBL-wise, Heal had a little bit more than an edge...

Interesting comparison though.

Reply #404722 | Report this post

let mills finish his career before we compare

Reply #404723 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Heal clearly at this stage, but Patty's got plenty of years to catch up.

Reply #404726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills is already the better player but Heal has the achievements due to the length of his career.

Reply #404748 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

Tough call. But Heal has the edge for me!

He got some short stints in the NBA and deserved better.

At NBL level he was $$$$.

Mills is a chance to catch him. But while NBA is great from him we may miss him matching Hammers NBL exploits...which is a shame.

Reply #404751 | Report this post

Oz  
Years ago

Heal was better.

Reply #404762 | Report this post

jay ray  
Years ago

Mills wouldn't give the Adelaide crowd a "One Finger Salute" while leaving the floor after a game!

Reply #404777 | Report this post

Moses Malone  
Years ago

Good topic.

Would rate Heal a superior shooter, scorer, passer and even floor general.....Patty, a better athlete.

No gears in Patty's game...lacks tempo, distribution and good shot/bad shot recognition.

Don't really rate either defensively, although Patty has the physical ability to get into the ball handler but lacks physicality in the half court (and flops way too much). Hammer....never afraid to give you a smack off the ball to know you're in a dogfight, but not really gonna get after someone 90ft.

Heal the better player.

Reply #404823 | Report this post

SamCro  
Years ago

No contest here, if both were in the prime playing against each other Mills would embarass Heal IMO. Mills blistering speed & crossover would snap Heal's ankle in two. Heal a superior shooter than Mills for sure from deep but overall I think Mills has the better skill set between the two. You wouldnt call either of them defensive hounds but I give Mills the slight edge in this department. Both fiercely competitive & have both represented Australia with great distinction over the years!

Reply #404845 | Report this post

Uncle fester  
Years ago

Mills can score at will, heal can not. Mills also ruthless on defence.

Also, patty is a wayyyyy better person. Nice guy whilst heal is arrogant.

Reply #404856 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Heal and Gaze our best backcourt.

Reply #404869 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

"Mills wouldn't give the Adelaide crowd a "One Finger Salute" while leaving the floor after a game!"

@jay ray No, he would have given a "One Towel Salute"

Slightly off topic, but are there any Australian players that you guys think have/had the talent to play in the NBA?

Or did play in the NBA but if they'd arrived earlier in their career/ got more of a chance would have done more than take the 12th spot on the roster?

Reply #404893 | Report this post

dribbler  
Years ago

Thought Simon Dwight could have been decent role player in NBA if developed properly and stayed injury free. Was a world class shot blocker in his prime.

Reply #404903 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I don't wanna sound critical of Mills but Heal had more pride in the way he performed out on court and was so much more clutch (absolute $)

It would have been interesting to hear of Heal's legacy without Gaze overshadowing him. Heal more than held his own when we had amazing import point guards.

I haven't seen Mills in NBA besides for Portland so probably not giving him enough credit.

But I'd trust Heal more than Mills to get the win

Reply #405011 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Dribbler i hear you. Simon Dwight and Sammy Mac were my 2 favourite players. Its a shame injuries hurt both players.

Reply #405092 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Too early to call, way too early! Re visit this post in 8 years time, perhaps?

Reply #405260 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:03 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754