Jack Toft
Years ago

Finals Action - Lightning v Fire

The Adelaide girls have put the Adelaide boys to shame this season and have proudly stormed into the major round of the WNBL, again! It's familiar territory for them.

Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant filled with odd little waiters who bring you things you don't always like. Tonight, the Lightning are at the WNBL table and have been dished up a spicy little entrée called Townsville Fire. Usually quite palatable, but with an occassional lingering aftertaste on the palate if not eaten properly.

They carry form into this game that should worry the Fire. The Lightning have won their last 7 in a stretch that is hotter than the Whyalla Blast Furnace casting floor after a tweir tap on a 44 degree day. The Bat Girl is the league’s leading rebounder plucking nearly 10 boards a game and leading scorer with 21.3 ppg, and just because she can, she’s also the leading blocker as well with 2.6 blocks per game. Pretty impressive stats and should hold her in good stead come awards night. But the Lightning are far from a one woman show with plenty of talent across the roster. It should come as no surprise to Hoopsters that my favourite Lightning player is Jenni Screen. I like her work ethic and determination and reckon she would give Peach a run for his money in an arm westle. But experience counts for everything in finals and cool, calm heads and great leadership are forged from years of experience and can make the difference. Two words that should send a shiver down Townsville’s spine. Jo. Hill. Her leadership and experience might just be the distinction on the final report of the Lightning.

The Townsville Fire have been called Adelaide Lite for good reason. Chris Lucas needs no introduction to SA Basketball fans and his team boasts impressive links to SA. Foley, Flanagan, Newley, Thompson, and Romeo are all former Lightning players or who got their start in SA. Regardless of their links, they are wearing the wrong uniform tonight and for 2 hrs should be as popular with Lightning fans as Kevin Rudd is with Julia Gillard.

These teams have played three times this season with the Lightning extinguishing the Fire easily the first two times, but the Fire winning the third encounter 73:70 against a team minus the Bat Girl.

These girls need your support. Get down to the stadium and make some noise. Buckle up and enjoy the ride! There’s no reason why the Lightning shouldn’t expect a Victorian main course next week.

Topic #30892 | Report this topic

anon  
Years ago

Fantastic write up Jack. We we be there in force

Reply #405750 | Report this post

I AGREE  
Years ago

See Jack your post above is why you cant give up on ABL write ups your awesome and that was a great read.

We will be there Saturday to support the girls.
GO LIGHTNING

Reply #405756 | Report this post

Triton 95  
Years ago

The red hot Adelaide lightning should have no problems in this game if they play the way they have been over the last few weeks, But in saying that Townsville have the team to play better than they have been recently and if Adelaide are slightly off their game then the Fire can pounce.
Jessica Adair is the key for Townsville, If she can have a solid defensive game against Suzi and keep out of foul trouble this will increase the Fire's chances greatly, Jess Foley is another who may prove a burden for the Lightning, It is said this will be Foley's last game in the WNBL if Townsville lose so I would expect her to have a big game and we all know what she can do when playing well, she could eaisly drop 20+ on any night of the week and will be desperate to keep her WNBL career alive for at least another week.
I believe for the Fire to win they will need to play a fast running game and really go at Angela Marino when brining the ball up the court, this could lead to cheap turnovers and easy buckets. Kayla Standish is another Fire player who needs to find some early season form, she will be playing on the improving Laura Hodges which makes for another key match-up.
All in all Its Adelaide's to lose and the memory from last years straight sets elimination from the finals series will be fresh in their minds.... I predict the Adelaide Lightning to win this by 15pts. Let the game begin.

Reply #405757 | Report this post

Years ago

Got to make up for last year - but all 4 teams are reaching for the trophy in my mind.

Reply #405798 | Report this post

Years ago

Still having therapy after tegan Cunningham's 20 point demolition of us last years prelim final

Reply #405801 | Report this post

aristotle  
Years ago

nice page 3 advert in advertiser.... well done

Reply #405928 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:26 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754