Anonymous
Years ago

U-18 State teams

well now the U-20 Champs are done and dusted any chance of the SA teams medalling in U-18 Nationals?

Topic #30939 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

5th & 9th for boys & girls respectively in 16s so both would need to have improved over the past 24 months.

Reply #406354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has the SA Metro team been officially named yet?

Reply #406355 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

Teams named last weekend, not released on BSA website yet. A few changes from Kilsyth 2011 for the girls... Defintely necessary but whether or not their placing improves shall be interesting to see...

Reply #406357 | Report this post

di4334  
Years ago

Actually TB the teams were announced this afternoon, just a few hours ago. Hardly time for BSA to get them on the website yet!

Reply #406368 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

Funny, I heard the girls team on Monday, from the parent of a selected child...

Reply #406372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, the girls team at least was announced last Sunday

Reply #406388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone name the teams then!!!

Reply #406402 | Report this post

The girls team was SELECTED last week. It will be ANNOUNCED when it is announced. Selected and announced do not mean the same thing.
You think the Australian cricket team only find out they are in when it gets announced in the paper or on the Circket Australia website? Of course the girls and their families knew

Reply #406406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's with the big sense of theatre in delaying the naming of the team? Regardless of who is picked this team won't be a Top 4 team. Get on with it Neil & Troy Boy!

Reply #406409 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Saw the Vic Metro boys team play last week, they will be very hard to beat...

A few bottom age players, but that won't hold them back! I would expect NSW to be strong and Vic Country should push for a top 4 spot, so you guys from S.A. may again be watching other states play in the finals?

Reply #406431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Won't be anything new for the SA teams to be watching.. ;)

Reply #406433 | Report this post

T  
Years ago

Tassie boys to medal after consecutive 4th placings in 2011 and 2012 in Under 16's.

Reply #406439 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Sorry, forgot about Tassie, yes they are a chance in this age group for sure, some good young talent there!

Still puts S.A. down another peg though IMO...

Reply #406442 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

Teams up;

http://www.basketballsa.com.au/index.php?id=62&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=778&tx_ttnews[backPid]=1&cHash=2234b9153d

Reply #406444 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

Tasmanian Boys = Gold

Reply #406450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So with regards to the girl's team, a West U18 2012 SA representative who averaged 8.9 points per game as a bottom aged player at last year's nationals gets cut in 2013 as a top age player. Instead, two players selected with no previous SA representation experience (not even top 15 selection) and three players selected from Norwood, two with significantly less than impressive previous nationals performances.

Don’t believe the "team balance" or TB’s above "definitely necessary" diatribe. This is club cronyism at its worst.

Reply #406471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like the selectors were from SA Country

Reply #406474 | Report this post

Apparently the girls played an Under 16 Boys Div 2 team over the weekend and won by 6.
Would that be an acceptable result??

Reply #406477 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

My comment of "definitely necessary" related to the fact that changes had to be made from the 2011 side. It was more of a general statement about the team. Not once did I say that I personally agree or disagree with the team that was selected.

Every time an SA team has under performed at Nationals in recent years, the posts on this forum call for change. Whether it be coaching or players, that is always the theme. It's finally happened and yet there is still criticism...?

I also think that the West player mentioned above was unlucky to miss out, and there are some selections that seem to have come from left field. But 9th in Kilsyth is, in my eyes, an unacceptable result. As a state we should be better than that. Surely taking the same 10 players across would be a silly idea?

Like I said originally, it remains to be seen whether or not these player changes will actually improve the result, but at least there is the change that everyone was demanding.

Reply #406495 | Report this post

cat  
Years ago

actually TB change for change sake is NOT the answer

look what that did for the country in the last election

just pick the BEST team available

without any backroom deals, golden handshakes, Club loyalties or favourites

THEN we might have a chance of competing on the National stage ...instead of the upcoming humiliation

Reply #406505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well they said the u20 girls were going to be crap and they won silver so just wait until after the competition, you never know. There were a few girls vying for one spot and any one of them would have been unlucky to miss out this year.

Reply #406512 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

How about change for better performance? Because that's actually what I said. This group should be better than 9th, and if the players from 2 years ago couldn't get the result why should they be rewarded with another selection?

As anon says above, we won't know until competition week if the selection improves the result. So we will just have to wait and see.

Reply #406517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TB, was this U18 team selected on merit or was there a club bias?

The fact is two out of the three Norwood girls selected have had very poor national tournaments previously. The West girl who was deemed good enough to be selected in the team last year as bottom age and has a reasonable record at nationals has been cut. The Norwood players have been rewarded for not getting the results.

Why wait until the tournament? West plays Norwood in the semi-final Friday night!

Reply #406519 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

The bias of the Norwood coach selecting Norwood players is not a new issue. And as long as he continues to coach this age group it always will be.

The West player is beyond unlucky. I agree she should have been picked. I am not, and have not, said otherwise. But there are three other players who attended Kilsyth in the metro team that wont be playing this year. I think that is a fair decision based on their previous result.

Reply #406522 | Report this post

aristotle  
Years ago

form should be the selection key - doesnt matter what you did last year

Reply #406524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dont let facts get in the way of a good conspiracy. Take the norwood coaches selections and put them in context. 1 norwood girl in 2012, 2 In 2011, 2 in 2010, 2 in 2009. Hardly signals over selection. i also doubt an individual doing the state job cares where players come from.

Reply #406527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And past form shouldn't count for everything, how about honest improvement, maybe the disappointment of not performing too well prompted these girls to work harder on their games.

Reply #406534 | Report this post

Big V  
Years ago

Interesting to hear what SA goes through. Similar in Vic. If you really want to have a chance at playing in State play at Melbourne!

Reply #406696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big V

You are dreaming .

Just another person who will pot the process due to ill informed or having an axe to grind !!!!

Reply #406726 | Report this post

Big V  
Years ago

Sorry didn't express myself. Melbourne Girls.

Reply #406861 | Report this post

T  
Years ago

Only a month or so to go.

Any more Under 18 news or talk .....

Reply #409921 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Vic Country and Vic Metro entered the Big V tournament in Frankston last week. By all accounts they aquitted themselves well. Results show Metro won one game and both under 18 teams scored okay, but I wasn't there so I have no first hand knowledge...

Reply #409926 | Report this post

BA post today on the website:

" ..... Local talents who will look to follow in the Opals' and Boomers’ footsteps include up and coming 16 year old Bridie Kennedy-Hopoate from Brisbane, who was Queensland South’s top scorer and rebounder when they claimed silver at last year’s U16 National Championships.

She will be joined by 2012 team mate Bridget O’Brien and 17 year old local Kristy Wallace, who won silver at last year’s U18’s Nationals.

In the men’s division, Jack McVeigh is a player to watch. The Gold Coast Sea Hawks junior was the youngest player for Queensland South in the U18’s last year finishing sixth top point scorer overall with 17.2 points and third top rebounder (12.4).

McVeigh was identified as an outstanding talent and selected to the Basketball Australia Centre of Excellence program at the AIS for 2013. He will be joined by Darrell McDowell-White, son of Brisbane Lions AFL star Darryl White in an impressive Queensland South line-up."

How do BA justify this biased wrap on players to watch? Queensland is host, sure. But balanced reporting it aint. This is Aus champs not state. C'mon BA media writers, lift your game. Some professionalism please.

Reply #414520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh dear. You didn't read real carefully did you?

Tha Nationals are in Brisbane.

The article is about LOCAL players to watch, ie Qld players! It's not claiming to be about the best players in the tournament. It's not that difficult to follow is it?

Reply #414537 | Report this post

Thanks Anonymous. Not !

Oh dear. You aint getting my drift.

For someone claiming to be so freakin' intelligent, to use your words:

"You didn't read real carefully did you?"

I acknowledged the event was in Queensland you turkey, the fact of the matter is this was posted on the Basketball Australia website not Basketball Queensland. If that point is lost on you I give up.

Again to use your phrase:

"It's not that difficult to follow is it?"

Reply #414551 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Might have been written to be dual-purpose, run mostly to attract local interest. Hardly a big deal?

Reply #414554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Disappointing media, the funnniest part of this is that you still don't get it.

I give up. At least you've given everybody a good laugh, even if it is at your expense.

Isaac is correct, it's hardly a big deal is it?

Reply #414558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"you turkey"

name calling, such an intellectual thing to do...

Its a "media release", by the organisation, about the organisation.

This, in the modern world (unfortunately) is used relentlessly for self promotion. Good or bad, there is well and truly enough information for the simple minded to work it out

Disappointing media (I'm sure there's no bias in that name ;)

Reply #414559 | Report this post

Correct Isaac. Might be dual purpose. Big deal? No. My opinion? Yes.

Anonymous,

I bet your the sort of smartarse who was the schoolground bully. Used to thump people, now resorts to running people down on-line. Even when his argument is weak and in black-and-white, just plain wrong. Seen it all before.

Don't mind a discussion and disagreement but can't stand smartarses. And you my friend, in my assessment, whether your Basketball IQ is 85 or 185 fit that category perfectly.

Reply #414561 | Report this post

C'mon.

Turkey is pretty tame. And I aint claiming to be the intellectual in this case. Your taking the high ground and effecting the comedic put-downs.

You just expect to have the last word which has bully written all over it. Go and kick the footy, not your dog.

Reply #414563 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

On the U18 page, the news article was very generic for however many paragraphs, and then had a "Further Information" section at the end that was specifically about the local talent appearing in Brisbane. It was as bold as to mention that right away:

"Local talents who will look to follow in the Opals' and Boomers’ footsteps..."

Can you explain why it would be a big deal to write a generic article about a competition in a specific locale, and then extend that to cover items of interest to those in that general location? It seems very reasonable and probably even ideal to me. Each state can obviously write up their local talents for their own sites and media releases.

Reply #414565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Disappointing media, I am #537 and #558, but not #559. I did not take offence to you calling me a turkey, but the other anon makes a good point. Name calling is what people do when their argument is shaky. Of course though, we must both be wrong (and Isaac as well) and you right.

Speaking of kicking the footy, does your Mum let you on the computer all day, or does she make you go outside and get some fresh air for a while? Might be an idea until you've calmed down a bit champ.

I'm looking forward to your response to Isaac's questions. You've huffed and puffed a lot without stating any reasonable facts.

Anyway to get back on track, go SA!

Reply #414567 | Report this post

Well Anonymous,

Forgive me. Maybe if you took a more original name I could get it right.

Isaac and you multiple anonymous's have a view and I have mine. I hear what you guys are saying but I still don't agree. No matter.

As for the name calling, please! As I said before turkey is pretty tame and "smartarse" is fairly moderate language. And I don't regret using it.

Might be best to leave my family out of it by the way. Got kids of my own and my mum passed away almost 20 years ago. Thanks very much.

Reply #414570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you have kids, go spend some time with them instead of beating the same pointless drum over and over.

Agree to disagree...debate over. Have a good day.

Reply #414571 | Report this post

Leave off giving me advice about my family you ignoramus. You don't know me. I posted an opinion. End of story. As I said before, you just want the last word.

What is this, some sort of old boys club? If you disagree with the establishment you're not welcome?

Reply #414573 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Can you explain why you disagree? In the news item in question, there are ten generic paragraphs before they have the location-specific content.

Page in question.

Reply #414588 | Report this post

Feel like I must speak a foreign language.

As I said in the beginning. This is on the BA website about a national tournament. Not on a Basketball Queensland web page about State Champs or similar event. Thought naming only QLD players wasn't right.

Yes Isaac, it may be a promotion to drive the interest of Queensland locals to attend but you must admit the interstate contingent of basketball folks that will attend is considerable. Yes you are right the remaining information is more generic.

That is all.

Never thought this would require so much clarification.

Reply #414593 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If they only named QLD players in the main part of the article itself, I think you might have some argument (and even then there'd be a reasonable counter-argument) but given how it's actually written out, I think you're way off and, so far, alone in your perspective.

Reply #414606 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

DM,

I think the issue here isn't that we have a boys club but the fact that you had a crack at someone's efforts without providing a reasonable arguement (what most people would consider reasonable) for your outrage.

Reply #414612 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:48 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754