Jack Toft
Years ago

R21: Sixers @ NZ

It's top vs bottom on Thursday night. Marty has not won a game against the Breakers ...… yet. Auckland has been a graveyard for the Sixers and under Marty's tuleluge they are 0-5 at Auckland with an average score of 72:89. The Breakers have an impressive win rate on their home court that rivals the 82% win rate on Eden Park by the All Blacks. They have won their last 12 games, so let’s hope 13 is unlucky for them tonight as the Sixers carry their lucky rabbit’s foot to the stadium and setup a ladder for the Breakers to walk under.

Last time they played, the Sixers threw away a 21 point lead like a snobby Sloane Ranger squanderring his inheretence on fast cars, loose women and champagne. But, the recent road wins have shown that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Times have changed and the slight hope of finals is still lingering meaning I am as excited as Mitch Creek on social media.

Can the Sixers turn it around by 17 points? I believe they can snag another much needed road win. Gone is the straight jacket of offensive structure that has strangled the team like a boa constrictor around a gazelle. The new Laissez-faire offensive structure of the last few games has shown the true potential of the Sixers roster. Free flowing transition and a more direct approach to goal has yielded two road wins in a row and an optimism in the team that rivals a young man dating a mate's mum. Last time the Sixers had two road wins in a row a zitty Brett Maher had just started shaving and Scotty Ninnis was wearing Wawrick Capper’s shorts.

The villians of the Breakers need no introduction. Jackson is bagging 15.9 ppg, Corletto is shooting 3’s at 39.4%, Abercrombie is shooting 3’s at 38% and scoring 11 ppg, Pledge-hammer and Vukona are plucking boards at will. Let’s not forget Hudson. Hudson? What a find he has been for the Breakers.

The Sixers have shown they can run with both Perth and New Zealand and should go into the game knowing a win is possible. The only thing between a win and the Sixers is between the ears. If Marty snags a win here, perhaps Marcus Camby was right all along, maybe Marty the Mastermind does need another 3 years? Perhaps Marcus can ride his unicorn through a rainbow to the Arena.

The secret to winning is very easy, to quote another famous Breaker. "Shoot straight you b@stards! Don't make a mess of it!"

I’m going out on a limb here and tipping a massive upset. I just want to see Andre burst a vein in his forehead.

Topic #30956 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

Hudson is still injured and won't be playing I believe.

Reply #406566 | Report this post

Sam  
Years ago

I guess we've got to give you 10/10 for blind unrelenting hope, but Breakers by 10+

Reply #406568 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Well it's a drought at the moment, but all droughts break in the end. Now is as good a time as any.

Reply #406582 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Marty will make sure the players don't break the 'Marty Structure system' unlike the previous few games and the Breakers win by 25+

Reply #406591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I applaud your optimism, even if I can't understand it.

Reply #406594 | Report this post

Cats82  
Years ago

All perth supporters will be backing a adelaide win! But, very unlikely. Be intresting game, 36ers are playing relaxed and its paid off.

Reply #406595 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Definitely hoping for a 36ers win here. Would make the NZ @ Perth last round game very intense.

I do think it could happen but I wouldn't put money on it.

Is Schenscher back?

Reply #406604 | Report this post

PHS 09  
Years ago

Breakers to win it , 3rd quarter slumps and all.
36ers look great but seem to fall off near the end.

Reply #406609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers are going to drop a game but wich one? Intresting who is gona make it, but i cant see any one other than the cats and nz in the gf!

Reply #406625 | Report this post

Sam  
Years ago

Win for the breakers will make it 13 straight, moving them to 9th equal for all time NBL winning streaks

Reply #406639 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The Breakers are due a bad game. Why not get it out of the way in the minor round. It would be pretty awks if they got to the major round and went out in straight sets.

If they drop a game a home, Andre can use it for motivation for the season. Imagine them losing by a point after double OT.

Reply #406640 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

So if the Breakers are going to drop at least 1 game then I guess then Perth must be going to drop 2 games

Reply #406641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We already did that Mystro, now its Breaker's turn to oblige to make this all interesting!

Reply #406644 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Mystro, who is top of the table? Who have the 3 losses been against? Perth are on 5 losses.

NZ: ADL, CRN, CRN, MEL, MEL, PER
PER: CRN, SYD, CRN, NZB

The R24 game will be a cracker. Perth should smash Cairns twice and Sydney as well. NZB will crush Cairns and belt Melbourne, so a loss to Adelaide will just tease the Wildcats.

Reply #406650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If New Zealand drop a game before Rnd 24 without any Wildcats losses, that match will become the most fiercely fought single game this season. The Championship will be well-nigh decided by it.

If they do not, or if the Cats drop any of their games then it will be a complete sleeper. Watch for C Jackson to pull up with general soreness and Gavin Field to play 30minutes. No one would dare risk exposing key players to injury.

Reply #406653 | Report this post

Cats82  
Years ago

Think it will come to the last game, u would have think the tigers must win one! They have to! Perth i feel play better away, they got burnt by cj in nz twice in game 1 and 3 so home court is a bounus but both nz and perth are the best teams away from hm!

Reply #406659 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is difficult to look at the Tigers and not see them getting at least one out of their eight games against the top two.

Weird to think that with only a handful of games left, only Wollongong, Sydney and, of all teams, Adelaide have one a game against the top two at all. And Wollongong are a shadow of their former selves (much to New Zealand's good fortune, stupid dodgy draw).

Reply #406665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did'nt they play the crocs three times when they they had dounut? And before they got nevile? Played a raveged hawks team three times? Not sayin they are not up there but they did have a good run against teams that wernt at full strength! + they have been injury free bar hudson! Adelaide should've been playing for a top 4 if not top 2! But had no luck!

Reply #406672 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Mystro,

The Breakers are a game played behind but two losses in front of the Wildcats.

If the Breakers lose one game and the Wildcats do not lose any until the final round it will be playing off for top spot because:

If Breakers win they are back to 2 games in front.

If Wildcats win they are tied but have the series on the Breakers so will finish first.

Reply #406674 | Report this post

wasportsfan1  
Years ago

go the sixers help us out will u!

Reply #406716 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

@Jack Toft Help me with the timeline. So Brett Maher had started shaving, but hadn't started arm-wrestling with Chris Blakemore before youth interstate finals?

And nobody can be as excited (or as unsocial) as Mitch Creek on social media.

Reply #406717 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Lets just say two road wins in a row is a long time between drinks.

Reply #406729 | Report this post

PHS 09  
Years ago

All in all everyone seems anti nz breakers ??
There not the champs for nothing
Even with Abercrombie playing half ass there getting it done. Cedric Jackson mvp by far!
Madgen best shooter in the Kirk Penney mould but not as legendary.
Unfortunate for Hudson to be injured , Lemanis sure knows how to milk a dud . He was crap at the blaze, nows he's getn rebounds.Alex Pledger is overrated and useless tbh
One day he's swatting away shots , another day he's getn jumpers and dunks in transition .
Low output from Leon Henry this season , too bad bouchers retiring from ANBL

Reply #406742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"ANBL"

And this is why we're anti-Breakers :)

Reply #406770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ exactly! How they are under the points cap is beyond me!

Reply #406779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well, if you take the points of all the players on their roster and add them together it doesnt equal more than 70.

Reply #406781 | Report this post

gary  
Years ago

im not anti breakers in fact i hope they don't lose a match for the rest of the season

expect them to beat adelaide comfortably

Reply #406869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Admit it Gary, deep down, in your heart of hearts, you kinda do hate them.

Liberate your soul, Gary, hate openly.

Reply #406873 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

ANBL.....since when is the NBL the ANBL?

Reply #406901 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The Kiwis call it the Australian NBL as they have their NZ NBL, which is like ABA.

NSW should have never let control of that island slip out of their grip on 1/7/1841.

Reply #406906 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Can't stand people getting caught up on "ANBL" - you understand what they're saying, so maybe try understanding where they're coming from?

Also in this boat can be football vs soccer griping when context is enough to make it clear.

Reply #406910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Two hours until the Breakeration, 36ers supporters excited yet?

Reply #406959 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I thought we were playing a less structured offence
but seems we're not . Weak at the 3 and more guards than Buckingham Palace . Nevertheless , if the guy playing the most minutes every game had a good one , we could win .

Reply #406963 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I'm expecting Jackson to have a field day, he's due for a big one.

Reply #406968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just hope nbl.tv works and it's a good game!

Reply #406991 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

nbl tv looks ok for me at the moment,

Reply #406998 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Mystro, I think you mean Johnson

Reply #407006 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

end of the 1st and Breakers up 28-15

Reply #407009 | Report this post

ayjay  
Years ago

Radio coverage online now at Radio Sport NZ

http://www.radiosport.co.nz/player/listenlive/

Sixers down 28-15 at the first break

Reply #407012 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Christopherson is the Marty Clarke of imports.

Reply #407016 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Just another tech from marty, he can enver keep hes fucking mouth close

Reply #407018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

fucken hell marty, nice tech. Douchebag.

Reply #407019 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That tech and its timing won't win Marty any fans.

You could see in the break when Marty was talking to the ref, the ref was just looking at the ground waiting for it to end. Just had no interest in the gripe.

The segment with Christopherson was a bit agonising.

Reply #407021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah that travel was pushing the envelope a bit.

Reply #407022 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

gibbo is hooot

Reply #407023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

gibbo is our rock.

Reply #407024 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

We have no business being within three points, but oh well. Just have to stay within touch.

Reply #407025 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

It'sd okay Isaac - we're not (5 points)

Reply #407026 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Haven't been able to watch at work but box score suggests we're hitting the offensive boards hard and doing better then NZ at converting second chances. Mind you, their shooting percentage is outrageous so not many second chances to be had.

Reply #407028 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

We did get it to three at one point. Combination of Gibson getting hot and scoring inside reasonably well at points through DJ and Petrie.

Reply #407029 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

cedric flopson on that 4pt play

Reply #407031 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

didnt take us long to throw the game away

Reply #407032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well that all went really south, really quickly

Reply #407034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

noooooo I never saw another 3rd quarter fade out coming. Cant say they are not consistent

Reply #407037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha, and then it got even worse, even faster!

Reply #407038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

chistopherson has not even one fg attempt in 14 minutes. Why bother even playing him

Reply #407039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done Marty you rejuvenated offense is on show tonight. Looking forward for this season to be over... Fuck off u prick arrogant coach

Reply #407040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well your second quarter offence seemed nice?

Reply #407041 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No one topped four rebounds for Adelaide.

Reply #407043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only lost by 25, well done Marty.

Reply #407045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Christopherson 0pts, 0/2 fg, 4reb, 3to...well done Marty.

Reply #407046 | Report this post

PHS 09  
Years ago

Let's go breakers!

Reply #407047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Radford picked Christopherson.... He can take the credit for that. Hasn't taken the credit for anything in the last 3 seasons but that is his.

Reply #407048 | Report this post

eli1  
Years ago

Im getting in early tonight. Game over yet in the Tiser, Clarke says he expect the 36ers to win yadda yadda yadda.

Firstly, u blow and secondly, eat your words clarke.

And more importantly, Marcus Camby, the game plan doesnt work obviously now unless a wonderful magical excuse is something u have to share with us all.

Reply #407049 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

@Anon'040..

Offence was not the main problem.

Defence was....

Not Marty's fault the Sixers allowed NZB to hit 62% FG%.

Not Marty's fault the Sixers allowed NZB to hit 48% 3PT %.

Not Marty's fault the Sixers allowed 42 point in the paint.

Not Marty's fault the Sixers allowed 20 points of turnovers.

Reply #407050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry he has taken credit for the minimal wins which were constructed due to his ELITE coaching.

Reply #407051 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Stop using Christopherson as a scapegoat ffs.

He was actually the top rebounder in the team in only 17 mins.

Reply #407054 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

So Marcus, I think I see your point, ......it wasn't Marty's fault. :-)

Reply #407055 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

More appropriately, its not ALL Marty's fault.

Which has been my consistent message from Day 1.

Reply #407056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is it not Marty's fault if his defensive schemes allow NZB to shoot at those percentages? That is immense shooting.

Oh well, okay Melbourne, do us proud, nick one of your games against the Breakers and the Wildcats will forgive you that Flynn rant :D

Reply #407057 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

I think it's completely unreasonable to expect them to beat NZ over there in only year 3 of Marty's 10 year plan! I think, before the game, if they offered us a below 30 point loss, we would've taken it. Why should you "fans" expect a team like us to beat another team in our own League?

I think we lost by 30 because we booed our team on national TV.

Reply #407060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well, its not like anyone else has beaten NZ on home court. Bar Wildcats anyway, but that seems beside the point in the league as it stands.

Reply #407061 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Marty's defensive schemes do not involve allowing NZB to stroll into the key for 42.

Reply #407062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I remember Marty the genius saying something last week about how we're bottom in the league in steals or something and that being an issue, how about being bottom of the ladder full stop?

Oh yeah thats right it's not about wins & losses.

Reply #407063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are we SURE about that?

Reply #407064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow Rat oops i mean, Camby. Im surprised you have finished yelling at the players, claiming its their fault already. You jump on hoops so quick after a game claiming its not all your buddies fault, yet last 2 weeks you were on claiming it was ALL Marty's genius for the wins. Not the fact that the players won despite him and you. Not the fact that our players hit some monster shots from being out of the game due to you and Marty's game plan. Cant have it both ways Radford, oh sorry I keep forgetting you want to be called Marcus Camby.

Reply #407065 | Report this post

PHS 09  
Years ago

Kings are worse off then the sixers!
Can't have a nicae shooter like Madgey
And not support him , esp with harvey injured now

Once again Jackson plays like a MVP!

36ers need to stop the penetration and protect the damn paint!

Reply #407066 | Report this post

Bucketman  
Years ago

Maybe it's not Clarkes direct fault that they scored so easily in the paint. The players have a lot to do with it, sure. But those players need inspiration and direction. They need someone and something to play FOR. Their home crowd wasn't booing them, so it can't be that. They didn't have access to the Internet while playing to read all the negativity, can't be that either. Maybe the goose at the helm needs to take responsibility, and his ranga first mate! Real leaders acknowledge every weakness and address them accordingly, Marty and radford need a good look at themselves.

Reply #407067 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

And now we go from "slimmest of chances of making the four" to "can we avoid the spoon."

Reply #407068 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

One step closer to season's end and a new coach.

Win or lose, that's a positive.

Reply #407071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Talk about over complicating a simple game.

Reply #407073 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

@NBLFacts:

Breakers have now beaten 36ers 15 times in a row which is 2nd longest streak of all time. Record is Kings over Taipans 17 straight times.
Ouch.

Breakers are on a 13 game winning streak too.

Reply #407077 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

Here's another fact:
Tyson Chandler got 2 more rebounds today than the entire Adelaide team.

Reply #407078 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Another poor "Turd Quarter" by the Sixers

Reply #407080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

facepal, happens every game, we think we are gonna nip the opposion. Soon comes crashing back down to earth when we realise we have got a complete numpty and a red haired garden gnome in control.

Reply #407083 | Report this post

Rag 72  
Years ago

Daly, Gibson and Weigh were positives out of tonight.
The defence and rebounding were pathetic however.
Christophersons minutes must be taken by Cadee and Daly even though i feel sorry for him

Reply #407088 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

So Marcus what you're saying is that its not ALL Marty's fault when we lose. Ok, I can live with that because as in any sport the players should also shoulder some of the blame for a teams loss. Yet wasn't it only two weeks ago when we defeated Cairns that you claimed the win was ALL down to Marty Clarke and his brilliant coaching, with no mention as to of the role the players?

Now, as for the game, the 25pt loss is disappointing, but did anyone here ever really expect us to win against the Breakers in front of 8,500 Kiwi's at the Vector Arena? Tonight was always going to be a case of "the heart says Adelaide, the head says NZ".

I haven't seen the game so can't comment a lot about it. But I will ask how an import in this league can play 18:27 and yet only put up two shots....missing both. Sure Christopherson topped our rebounding tonight with 4, alongside DJ, Stevie Weigh and Jason Cadee, but only putting up 2 FG attempts that both missed in 18 and a half minutes is a waste of space. And he made it worse by committing 3 turnovers. In comparison Tom Daly hit 3/6 in only 12:05, had 2 less turnovers and gave out one more assist (SC 1, TD 2).

I do feel a bit sorry for Christopherson though. His stint here in the NBL looks like going a long way to killing any chances he has of having a decent career, here or overseas. After this season, no NBL team is going to want to know about him, and if he can't make it here then he won't have a chance in hell of making it in Europe or even in the US.

Reply #407092 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

HoldenV8, ignore the troll.

Reply #407096 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

For all of Jack Toft's hype, that was a pretty anti-climactic 2nd half!

Reply #407102 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Sorry 'bout that, I was hoping the Cheerleader effect was going to kick in during the second half. Obviously, the NZ Breakers Cheerleaders don't give the boys the same lift as some of the other cheerleaders.

Reply #407107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There will never be a single positive out of a 25 point loss in a 40 minute game. I hate what the mighty 36ers have become, and the people who have let it become this way. Clarke and Radford needed to go after the last 2 seasons, but lack of money and a ability to lie and deceive those in power finding ways to put the blame on numerous scape goats have given them there full contracts. The only contracts they will receive. Disastrous times at the 36ers, hoping for better times next season, when wins and losses count!

Reply #407113 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Beekayz - 36ers matched NZ's rebounding at both ends of the floor. NZ shot 62% and 36ers shot 45%. Both teams had almost the same number of shots (66 v 65 field shot attempts, 15 v 17 free throw attempts). 36ers missed 39 attempts and NZ missed 30. If all missed free throws resulted in a rebounding contest, 36ers got 10/39 offensive rebound opportunities (25%) vs NZ getting 7/30 (23%). 36ers got 16/30 defensive rebounds (57%) and NZ got 25/39 (60%). I don;t have a problem with them getting fewer rebounds given those stats.

I note also that the 36ers would have beaten Perth a few weeks back if they'd shot as well as they did tonight (45%). Without having seen the game, I'm relying on the box scores. From those, I can't see anything to wring my hand about in their scoring and rebounding. They also had fewer turnovers than NZ and shot better outside the 3pt line. The fault was clearly that we let NZ score at 62%, which suggests NZ were able to score relatively easily. That's also supported by NZ having 20 points from turnovers and 42 points in the paint.

From what I saw at half time and 3 quarter time, the 36ers also shot well in every quarter but the third. The game appeared to be decided by that one quarter of poor shooting, in tandem with the inability to stop NZ scoring at any stage of the game.

The 36ers still have a mathematical chance of making the 4, by the way. They have to win all of their remaining games. If we beat Wollongong by less than 23 (i.e., lose the season split), the mathematical chance of making the finals is about 0.3% and we have to finish in a 4-way tie with Wollongong, Cairns and Sydney, on 11 wins while Perth have to lose at least one game.

If we can beat Wollongong by 23 or more and get the season split, the chance goes up considerably - to 14.4%. The constant in this scenario is finishing in a tie with Wollongong on 11 wins.

So, the team has plenty to play for.

Reply #407117 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

HoldenV8....

I NEVER claimed all accolades for Marty in those wins.

In fact I have been VERY consistent with my treatment. I have always been about sharing the responsibility over the group, be it for a loss or a win.

I have the utmost respect for the players and do not appreciate being accused of taking away due credit.

Reply #407119 | Report this post

Vespa  
Years ago

Marcus I think you would be a great coach.

Reply #407120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have always been about sharing the responsibility over the group, be it for a loss or a win.

Is it April 1st yet?

All you ever do is defend our shithouse coach Marty Clarke and try and spread the blame between the players (most people had this roster Top 3 in the preseason) & a tiny fraction of the home fans that booed him one time or something.

About to be back-to-back wooden spoons this time with a loaded roster.

Your trolling is lame.

Reply #407121 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Isaac is correct: MC has somehow maintained a trolling streak on Hoops that's comparable to the Breakers winning streak over the Sixers.

Impressive stuff. And people still go in for it.

Reply #407146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah I just ignore Marcus, he is so full of crap.

Reply #407258 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:11 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754