Speed44
Years ago

What's John Wall's ceiling?

Will he ever be a "superstar"? Yes, he is a solid PG, but he is turnover prone, and really cannot shoot....., almost at all.

I know that draft wasn't particularly strong, but if I'm the Wizards, do I second guess my pick now? Monroe, Cousins, Favors and George were all picked in that top 10.

Topic #30960 | Report this topic

Uncle fester  
Years ago

Still better then some other no.1 picks:

Kwame brown
Andrew Bogut
Andrea Barnani
Greg Oden

Anyone I'm forgetting?

Reply #406621 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

^ Agree with that, but I can't help being a little disappointed in the guy. I really thought he would set the league alight.

All of those picks above were questionable from the get-go. Wall wasn't.

Reply #406622 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Michael Olowakandi.
"Never Nervous" Pervis Ellison.
Sam Bowie.
Larue someone..can't think of his name...Marks perhaps..

Honourable mention Joe Smith (although he had a servicable career, not #1 worthy though).

Reply #406626 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

No. Isn't smart enough.

Reply #406633 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

His problem is he is a true pg and doesnt have the cattle around him to utilise his skill set, plus he is just coming back from an injury. I believe the Wizards have been better since he has returned to the line up though?

I'd love to see him on a decent team with some help or give him a couple of more years as the Wizards develop and we'll know for sure if he was worth all the hype.

Reply #406636 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

No doubt they are better with him than without.

I acknowledge his injury as a factor. His turnovers have always been a problem though. Will he ever become a reliable shooter? It would certainly open up the game for him and his passing. He is only 22-23, so I guess he has time to work on that J.

Reply #406637 | Report this post

CP3  
Years ago

I'm prepared to be a little more patient with him. A couple of factors in play here 1) Coming back from injury 2) He plays for the Wizards. If he can remain healthy & the Wizards pick up some quality players in the near future, I feel he can put together a very solid NBA career. He does need to drastically improve his assist to turnover ration ASAP.

Reply #406643 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Yeah but I would go as far as to say he has a better side than the Cavs do and Irving is streaks ahead of him.

Reply #406648 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

^ True. I'd even argue that maybe Kemba Walker at the Bobcats is ahead of him, and that team stinks.

Reply #406649 | Report this post

Haven' you seen the record of the Wizards since John Wall came back into the lineup?

Reply #406658 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Yes, as I said earlier, they are better with him than without. 13-9 (7-2 in last nine) since his return. I'm more talking about whether he will be the superstar statistically, that we probably all thought he would be, or just a good, solid PG.

Early in his career, I thought he was gonna be a 22 point, 10 assist type player. IMO, the Wizards would be even better with him in the lineup if he could score some more at a decent %.

We all obviously think he is a good player, and makes a team better.

Maybe I should change the name in this topic to Roy Hibbert? He is the most disappointing player this season. It's just that I was watching the Wizards - Raptors game today, and Wall was on my mind.

Reply #406663 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Wall will only get better this season. Look how much better Beal and Okafor and Nene have played with Wall back in the line up. The results speak for themselves.

Wall needs to imorove his FG% and turnovers. With that lineout he shoudl be a 16 points and 10 assists guy with a couple steals and a block per game

Reply #406675 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

I don't know about Wall's ceiling but he's certainly got his floors (sorry. couldn't resist)

But seriously, I think he is still capable of becoming the 20+ point, 10 assist player you mentioned.

Another thing he needs to add to his game is a change of pace. He always seems to be going at 100% speed wise as compared to the likes of the 20y.o. Kyrie Irving who has already learnt when to turn it up and when to hold back.

Reply #406697 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

John Wall is a fantastic player and will have a great NBA career. The talk of him being a no 1 bust is crazy.

Reply #406708 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Hey, I never said the "B" word.

Reply #406709 | Report this post

random  
Years ago

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BEBvAkNCYAAi_pf.jpg:large

Reply #406732 | Report this post

random  
Years ago

sorry thought i started a new post :)

Reply #406733 | Report this post

tupz  
Years ago

Not being a stats guy, what other point guards are averaging 22 & 10 that you could compare him to?

Reply #406780 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

Nobody that I can think of currently, and only Chris Paul in recent memory (last 5 years).

Reply #406833 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

Yeah there aren't many that average that. I was just using those numbers because when I first saw him in the NBA I thought he had that sort of potential. He was quick and could get to the basket at will, and besides his turnovers, is a very good facilitator, so I thought the 10 assists was possible at the time.

I guess, what it comes down to is my expectations of him, which is unfair. But I really thought he could be that guy. Maybe he will be. IMO, if he gets a jumpshot, he WILL be that guy.

Reply #406904 | Report this post

j.wall 4 goat  
Years ago

He'll be the next player to average a trip dub. No question :D

Reply #406928 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

His last three games have been on par with what my expectations of him are. He has really picked it up since Beal has been out.

The last 3 games, he is averaging 26.3 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 11 apg, 2.3 spg and 3 to's pg. He is shooting at 60% from the field and 80% from three (that is really unexpected).

Great to see him playing like this. I know his points will go down once Beal comes back, but I hope his other stats stay the same.

Reply #409660 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:40 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754