Curtley
Years ago

Worst NBL Import Ever?

This from andthefoul:

Scott Christopherson is averaging just 1.9 PPG, shooting the ball at 22% from the field and 12% from the three point line. Over his last 5 games, Christopherson has averaged just 0.8 PPG going just 1/9 from the field in those games.

He's an import. Although he was not signed to be a starter, still he averages over 15 MPG and is a major part of the rotation despite his poor stats.

My question is: Is Scott Christopherson the worst import in NBL history? If not who is?

Topic #30988 | Report this topic

Triton 95  
Years ago

I think so, he is lucky to even average what he does, Is Marty so stupid that he doesn't realise they are a player down every time he keeps playing him.

Reply #407139 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

Yes - another great Clarke decision - what a genius!! Recruited to "create his own shot"

Reply #407142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gee it makes the other import you guys complained about look good.

Reply #407143 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I'd say he's the worst on paper, yes. Offers almost nothing to the rotation.

Resisting urge to mention CJ firing...

Reply #407144 | Report this post

Triton 95  
Years ago

A tired Gibson or Cadee are even better players, Just stop playing him, simple. Last night plays for 18 mins has 0pts and 3TO's. I know Marty bashing is tired and old news but seriously he must have mental problems or something. Adelaide fans must have given up all hope for next season if he is still coaching.

Reply #407147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You could find a better a player than SC playing A grade social

Reply #407149 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

Jim Havrilla.

Reply #407150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What would he seriously average in ABL?

Is he even as good as Kyle Miller?

Reply #407151 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I think we should set up a Kyle Miller fan club.

Reply #407160 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

I love the 36ers and hate to be negative BUT he is a shocker. Time and time again he shits himself when he has the ball and the opportunity to score. In warm ups he looks good but who gives ! . When he is o the floor we are 4 on 5

Reply #407161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The guy averaged 14 points a game at a division 1 college. He obviously has talent, just down on confidence I guess.

Reply #407163 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Christopherson is better than his statistics.

Consider the fact he's still a kid, he had to pick up a complicated system on the fly in the middle of the season, and he was correctly scouted as a shooter by other NBL teams.

In his first few games he had practically no wide-open looks, was lost in the offensive system, and has been devoid of confidence ever since.

If you actually watch his game, rather than look at whether the ball goes through the hoop or not, you'd see the kid has talent. His statistics from college illustrate this as well.

It won't happen, but I hope we give him another shot next season. I think he could be a real diamond in the rough, if given a fresh start.

Reply #407166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm after a Scott Christopherson 36ers wallpaper, can't find one.

Reply #407168 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

Playmakermo , you surely are kidding or have little to no bball IQ if you want the 36ers to give him another go next season

Reply #407169 | Report this post

Vespa  
Years ago

Playmakermo. Did you go to the Marcus Camby
school of theory?

Reply #407170 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

The worst import ever should be beaten up by the best NBL fighter ever.

Reply #407171 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Mike Spears wasn't flash but even SC has him covered

Reply #407172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There has been some screamers but I can't think of one worse than Christopherson.

Reply #407173 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

@Pure Silk/Vespa - not kidding, not trolling, I just know a good player when I see one. Actually watch him play, and really focus.

If he wasn't so devoid of confidence shooting the ball he wouldn't be forced to shot-fake and drive into a pack every single possession. Solid defender with good footwork. If played as an off-guard he has capable ball-handling - heck, it's better than Goulding's...

Every player on the 36ers roster is being under-utilized. Why is it so absurd to think Christopherson's game is being hard done by as well?

I'm not comparing him to the likes of Cedrick Jackson, Gary Ervin etc; for $40k/pa he's competing with the likes of Luke Martin, Kerry Williams, Tyson Demos, the Cedar brothers etc; based on what I think he's very capable of, I'll take Christopherson every single time over these guys.

Reply #407176 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

@Vespa - third paragraph above: how's that for Marcus Camby's school of theory?

Reply #407177 | Report this post

Triton 95  
Years ago

^ Yes Marty.

Reply #407179 | Report this post

Vespa  
Years ago

You know a good player when you see one...? Right....

Yep, you are correct. He is good. Keep him.

Not !!!

You can't be serious? He does have handles. And does
seem to try and create. He is supposed to be a pure shooter is he not?
You have to knock down your shots or you are not doing your job.
If he was tagged as a scored and had low scores but was a lock down defender
or getting 5 assists per Game with a ratio of say 5:1. He is contributing nothing ! Sam Harris would be better value standing in the key changing shots.
There is nothing that SC is doing that any half decent ABL player couldn't be doing.

Reply #407181 | Report this post

Gardsy  
Years ago

Can' help but feel a bit sorry for the kid

Reply #407183 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Khari Jaxon

I remember seeing him travel on a wide open cherry picking dunk. It wasn't one of those had to pick travels either. he caught it at the three point line and took a bunch of stutter steps without every putting the ball on the floor. he did dunk it though.

I did enjoy watching Khari though to see what he might do next.

Reply #407186 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Certainly looks lost out there but sometimes is played at small forward with Daly and Croswell, um wtf? Be intetesting to see how a coach such as Geordie would get more out of him?

Reply #407189 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Other players on the roster might be underperforming, but not that much.

Don't compare him to the Luke Martins of the NBL but other young budget imports like Hurdle, Grant and Henry. Deleon and Hudson were both cheap last year.

No chance of him being retained. I think this stint could kill his professional career. He is being outplayed by our development player.

Reply #407192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Gardsy yeh I feel sorry for him also. I'm quite torn on the topic to be honest. On the one hand, if you were to rank the current sixers team (including Creek and Schensh) on what they contribute to the team, or their value, then he would be in dead last. His stats tell the story, but when you watch his on court presence also he seems lost in it all. Daly plays with an aggressive edge that SC doesn't. He's almost a non-factor. That just isn't good enough for an import in this league. You can say that we don't need an import with this all aussie team but the reality was/is this team needed a stud import to save this season.

On the other hand, I just don't know if he was truly prepared for the pressure he would be under as an import in this league and I don't know whether or not the Sixer's system has given him the chance to show what he can do. I feel bad for him because he is going to find it very hard to get another pro gig as an import anywhere. I think he has a nice skill set, not that dissimilar to that of Kevin Lisch, but he needs to watch tapes of guys like that to see just how aggressive you need to be to succeed in the international game.

Reply #407193 | Report this post

Pointguard  
Years ago

Yes the worst and now probably has no pro prospects

Reply #407195 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Vespa, learn to read: I'm basing my argument on Christopherson's skillset rather than his performance this season.

@Isaac - how much are those guys earning? I doubt the absolute minimum allowed. It's not fair to compare Christopherson to those guys when he was never asked to produce to the extent they were.

He was, however, expected to fill an 8th/9th man role on the league's minimum salary. If Christopherson were played properly, I think he'd be a steal at the minimum.

No chance of being retained, but I guarantee his season would've shaped up very differently if he played for another team e.g. Perth.

Reply #407198 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

He's right up there with jo Jo English as worst import ever

Reply #407199 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's not a skill issue, it's a physical issue. He's a lightly built kid who has so far played in the VTB United and NBL, two of the most physical leagues in the world. He needs a new agent!

Reply #407201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Give the kid a break he comes from college basketball where the routines are ingrained and the plays make sense the style of play much more open than that of the dudnamyic duo's playbook.. True his form and stats aren't great atm but he's been here how long?

Reply #407202 | Report this post

Vespa  
Years ago

Playmakermo, your a space cadet. You can keep SC and his skillset.

Reply #407203 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Playmaker, if you are a good player, import or not you you rise above the system you play in, good system or bad system, give it a rest.

Reply #407204 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

Hoops.com.au....

Where if you present an argument that is non-popularist you are branded :

- A Troll
- with no Hoops IQ.
- Marty Clarke.
- Mark Radford.
- Mitch Creek.
- Marty Clarke's mum.

Reply #407205 | Report this post

Gruff  
Years ago

SC was good at college level, but failed to transition well into Pro ball at Belarus and now in the NBL. This is not unusual as many college greats cannot handle the increase in speed and physicality.

Reply #407206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

College great. Hahaha. Epic Radford fail.

He's everything he looked in his highlight vids.

This one is on Clarke and Radford. Not on SC.

Reply #407208 | Report this post

sunnycoast  
Years ago

The kid was not ever going to be a successfull SF. I would have liked to see him play SG alongside gibson or cadee instead of PF with croswell playing the point. Funny nobody mentions the great passing and ball handling of croswell last night if your looking for a waste of space......

Reply #407210 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Just like every other job on the planet; you get hired based upon paperwork and previous experience.

Just like every other job on the planet; if you fail to live up to expectations and/or can't handle the tasks given to you, you get laid off.

Bargain or no Bargain, SC hasn't delivered in the time alloted. The only reason he's still getting any time on court is because there is no logical business reason to sack the guy and replace him. You might as well try and get something out of him until the contract expires.

@PlaymakerMo - I can see what you're trying to outline; but the business of Pro Sports is unforgiving.

I would put forward two questions to you:

'If you were running the team and you got SC for his current price tag, how would you utilize him and how would you grade his performance?'

and:

'In the off chance the first half of the season he wasn't able to meet your criteria; how long would you hang on to him before releasing him?'

Reply #407211 | Report this post

Vespa  
Years ago

No Marcus. People on here like a educated argument. The points you put
across are so far off base. You make yourself look stupid and a troll. That's why
people treat you like one.

Reply #407214 | Report this post

Triton 95  
Years ago

And Marty's sister.

Reply #407218 | Report this post

JimmyBuckets  
Years ago

Unfortunatly it hasnt worked out for Scott, feel sorry for him, totally being used in the wrong way.

The need for a SF is more reason they should have jumped on Dorsey if the rumour he offered to fill the spot for the same money at the time are true. I Guarantee he would be doing better than SC, even if he isnt a 'Marty' guy.

This is another thing i put more blame on the coaches for miss ues and poor selection for the teams needs than i do on the player. I guarantee we would have been better off keeping CJ and just simplifying the game plan for him and helping him fit in. We look much better when we go away from 'Martys complex structure' anyway.

Reply #407226 | Report this post

Uncle fester  
Years ago

Why not give a local kid a go over the import Christopherson?

Reply #407243 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

PlaymakerMo, those guys are on pretty much minimum. Deleon and Hudson last year were $65k or so - budget imports. Henry would be cheaper than that even.

Now, I'm sure Christopherson is on absolute pennies, but I cannot comprehend how anyone could watch him and this team and think he's worth a roster spot next year or that he solves our needs.

Yes, it's sad. I don't think imports realise the league is this tough and he's come into a simple role in a iffy team in front of an expectant crowd. But even the most widely panned players in our team this year have done more to overcome clearly sub-par coaching. The bracket Scott is in statistically is shared with development players and L Martin, K Williams, etc. I don't know that their teams will be desperate to keep those guys either.

Who's he going to beat out for minutes? Not Daly, Creek or Cadee.

Hopefully he can revive his career in another league.

Reply #407249 | Report this post

JimmyBuckets  
Years ago

Agreed would be happy to see SC released and a local given his spot/minutes, nothing to lose really.

Reply #407250 | Report this post

Youknow ME  
Years ago

All I can say is, BooHoo about the situation Christopherson walked into. Good players make it work, hes been given ample time (More then CJ) and ample opportunity. He looks like a scared little boy out there and for that reason, He shouldn't be in a league.

He may not necessarily be completely devoid of skill, however he just can't cut it at this level. For all the excuses in the world, he is indeed the crappiest import I have seen. Now that we have had time to see both, anyone would take CJ before him. Cj was starting to get his shit together and they dropped him for an even bigger dud.

Reply #407271 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Marcus Camby, to be fair your opinions are absurd and inflammatory so calling you a troll would be correct.

1. 36ers have an overly complex offensive system. No other NBL team has to workout what their offense is while they're playing an actual game. That's the coaches fault. It's unacceptable, they should know what they're doing or simplify the tactics.

2. Stupid substitutions including subbing off inform players and keeping on players excessively who aren't contributing. Again, coaches decision, coaches fault.

3. Giving particular players the chance to stay on for 35+ minutes (like Weigh in the previous few years), take shots that the coach should not allow them to take, and not giving nearly enough time to players such as Mitch Creek (when he was on played very well!). Coaches decision, coaches fault.

4. Win-Loss record and ladder position over this year and last two years. We've gone through different players (coaches choice), plenty of time to improve to no success. Coach becomes accountable. Do you think the Adelaide Crows would accept three consecutive crap years like that without firing the coach? A new coach can have a dramatic effect. Smyth showed that in 98 for the 36ers, Blight in 98, Ayres (top 4), Craig (1st), Sanderson (2nd) for Crows, Kosmina (finals), Coolen (finals), Kosmina (possibly finals?) again for United.

-----

Playmaker I agree, he probably is much more talented than what he has shown with the 36ers. He has the ability and potential, he can certainly shoot better than we have seen over here. Problem is, he has no confidence, the shots he is putting up are far too quick and sometimes not great shots to take either. He isn't getting much time, and there's nothing set-up for him. He isn't working. What's worse for Christopherson is that Isaac is correct, this could be very detrimental to his basketball career, Tom Daly is outperforming him.

Reply #407275 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

@KET - I agree. Well put.

@Isaac - Fair enough, but surely Deleon isn't still playing for $65k or therebouts this season? If Grant was that cheap, then 'Moose' should recieve alot of credit. I think Christopherson is capable of the level Hurdle and Henry are playing now - in a completely different role to players of their stature, obviously. I doubt Hurdle or Henry will be on 'budget contracts' next year if they return.

I'd prefer Creek at the 3 (Weigh splitting minutes at 3/4), and go with a backcourt of: Gibson, Cadee, Daly, Christopherson.

@Big Marty - I completely agree: the reality is Christopherson won't get another crack in the NBL and his basketball career will likely take a serious hit.

'If you were running the team and you got SC for his current price tag, how would you utilize him and how would you grade his performance?' - performance: crap (no way around it). Without going into detail: his mindset re: how he goes about scoring needs tinkering, and if opposing teams are going to play him tight, he needs to be in a position more often for the team to exploit their lack of rotations off him.

'In the off chance the first half of the season he wasn't able to meet your criteria; how long would you hang on to him before releasing him?' - too tough a hypothetical to call.

@Vespa - Starting to think your hoop dreams didn't pan out so well... that, and/or your mother gave you too much praise as a child.

Reply #407277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul, that is ridiculous "needs a new agent". His agent pulled the con of the year getting this chump a NBL gig. His agent effectively turned water into wine.

How any agent could get this bloke a NBL gig is amazing!!

Oh that is right, with all your expert basketball knowledge you predicted SC would be a good pick up for the 36ers when he was signed.

Funny stuff.

Almost as funny as Radford actually picking this bloke in the first place.

Can't shoot, can't play d, can't create, can't dribble and isn't athletic.

Good work 36ers.

Reply #407289 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

@Isaac - Fair enough, but surely Deleon isn't still playing for $65k or therebouts this season? If Grant was that cheap, then 'Moose' should recieve alot of credit. I think Christopherson is capable of the level Hurdle and Henry are playing now - in a completely different role to players of their stature, obviously. I doubt Hurdle or Henry will be on 'budget contracts' next year if they return.
Deleon, probably not. Not so sure he'll be kept after this season though.

Moose? I am talking about Malcolm Grant at the Hawks.

If Christopherson was capable of that why, in x games, haven't we seen really any signs of it?

What Hurdle or Henry are on next year is irrelevant. If you have budget money, you get the 'next' Hurdle or Henry. After all, someone got Hurdle and Henry after the previous cheaper options raised their asking price once proving themselves. As people have said, Homicide offered to play out the season for minimum.

Reply #407292 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Anon, I see youre a short term thinker. Yes, his agent got him a gig in two good leagues (the second for very little money) but what next? He is damaged goods.

Had the agent got him a gig in a lower standard league he may have done well, made more money than in Adelaide, transitioned to pro basketball and slowly built a pro career at the level he was best suited.

Reply #407293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree completely Paul.

Was just making the point that any agent who can get such a rubbish player a NBL import spot (even for low money) deserves agent of the year award.

Of course on a more serious note Radford and Clarke really stuffed up on this one.

What they saw in him in the first place is a mystery to me.

Reply #407295 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I can understand what they saw in him. Last two years in a good conference he averaged 13p at 45% from range and made the Big East third team. If an Aussie kid did that youd be pretty keen to sign him, and with the money they had available that's essentially what they were getting.

What I cant for the life of me understand is why they signed him once Creek had gone down and they had one SF and three small guards. And what is absolutely incomprehensible is why they are playing him at SF given his lack of physicality. It's remarkable!

Reply #407296 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Square peg, round hole?

Reply #407297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Back to the original question at hand...

Paris McCurdy
Jeff Brown

Reply #407298 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

On production on an NBL court it has to be Christopherson doesnt it? He has literally done nothing. I guess there may have been some who have been a big negative. Awvee Storey was pretty bad.

Reply #407300 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Storey at least had his moments though.

I think what happened is that the 36ers were keen on a player, they became unavailable, so the club went with a teammate of the original guy: SC.

Hawks had a little bit more success in taking Hurdle's pal and maybe it's just that tough at the budget end of recruiting. But seems a bit rushed and desperate with hindsight.

Reply #407304 | Report this post

PHS 09  
Years ago

Orien Greene , he was useless for the breakers a few years back. Shit nba career aswell.

Reply #407313 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

"shit nba career as well"

um makes a pretty good 'baller then I reckon.

Reply #407318 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

While its no secret that SC has been a major failure as an import since his arrival, he isn't totally devoid of skill. He's not the worst defender in the team, but in the 36ers offence he has become a non-factor. He has struggled to find any meaningful place on the roster and his confidence is clearly shot right now. Agreed, if he was as good as his college stats suggest he would have risen above his struggles and could have made a decent import.

Part of the problem is that, like just about every other 36ers player during Clarke's time here, he isn't being used in a way that exploits what skills he has. He's a SG who is more often than not playing SF, something he is clearly not comfortable with. Another problem is he's generally being ignored by team mates, especially Crosswell who is usually running the point when SC is on. I have never once seen Croz pass the ball to him when he's been open for a shot.

Worst import ever? Currently I'd say he is, but like many past and present Marty Clarke coached 36ers players, who knows what he could do playing under a decent coach?

Like a few here I do feel kinda sorry for the kid though. His stint in the NBL is going to be very damaging to his basketball career unless he can suddenly explode into form over the last three games of the season. But I can't see that happening.

Reply #407326 | Report this post

PHS 09  
Years ago

Ozzy teams shouldn't have to grab imports
There's so many players here compared to nz
Sometimes they find gold ,sometimes get a bust but at the end of the day its all about the money. The points cap limits and highlights the low level in talent pool.

Reply #407332 | Report this post

2FAST4U  
Years ago

Yes he's useless!

Reply #407352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mary clarkes reign has been cancerous, this is just another example of it. thanks Marty now piss off into the sunset. Your career is done. Sc is so incapable at this level its embarrasing for him, he isnt even close to NBl level, its sad what the 36ers are allowing to go on.

Reply #407358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What do these NBL imports have in common?

Craig Winder
Troy DeVries
Eddie Shannon
Ron Howard
John Williamson
Chris Warren
Diamon Simpson
CJ Massingale
Scott Christopherson

They were all fortunate to be coached by the great Marty Clarke!

Reply #407367 | Report this post

red80  
Years ago

Thomo, Jojo English averaged nearly 15ppg in his time here. A little unfair to even mention him in this thread.

Reply #407372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Showron glover was terrible!! He would be up there

Reply #407451 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah, amazing he hadnt got a mention until now!

Reply #407476 | Report this post

Guns  
Years ago

You tend to forget guys like Sharon 'Showtime' Glover

Reply #407548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Showron

Reply #407559 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Worst import ever - maybe SC.

Worst coach ever for giving this guy absolutely no opportunity to thrive - Marty Clarke.

& he's still coaching??

Reply #407564 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Showron was saying on Twitter just the other day that he wanted another chance in the NBL. Seemed to imply that he felt like Gordie never gave him a proper chance or constrained him too much.

Reply #407577 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Showron is a better import then SC

Shrown 6ppg @ 46% FG in 14 minutes
SC 2ppg @ 23% FG in 15 minutes

Reply #407585 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Those stats dont tell the who story KJ, Glover was a massive minus for the Hawks in a number of areas.

Reply #407593 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:15 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754