NYC_LGK27
Years ago

Why don't NBL teams advertise games on TV?

Just a thought, but why don't NBL teams ( primarily ones in large cities, like melbourne and sydney)
advertise when their games are on tv? you would think it would get alot more people to the games, which would easily cover the cost of the ad.
good way to get some more fans too.

Topic #31049 | Report this topic

NYC_LGK27  
Years ago

Would get some more fans, as some guy who isn't a NBL fan, isn't going to go look up game times on the internet, but if they saw an interesting ad on t.v, they might go see it.
(especially if you made a interesting, and advertised that tickets are from $15)

Reply #407997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simple return on investment. Would the cost of tv ads in a time slot that would see more eyes (expensive time slots) generate enough to pay for and some.

I doubt it

Reply #408000 | Report this post

NYC_LGK27  
Years ago

lets just say the ad cost's $20,000.
and lets say that if a decent amount of people in the sydney area saw it, lets say 2,000 people saw it that were interested and could make it to the game.
if the extra 2,000 people, even only bought general admission tickets for $15, that;s $30,000 made from those tickets, or $a $10,000 profit from the advertisement. Plus more food spent, and they possibility of getting some new fans, which could attend some more games.

seems fairly do able to me.
maybe the kings should try it for one game in the play offs if they make it?
if they made a interesting ad for the right home game, it could be possible.

Reply #408001 | Report this post

Hawkeye  
Years ago

The cost is hard to recover if you don't run you own ticketing, say you spend $1000 on TV adds and If you ticket avg ticket price was $15 , assuming you pocket 60% of the ticket sale after fees and charges by the venue.
Then to break even you would need attract 111 extra people for every $1000 spent.
So the risk is spending $ with less return if it doesn't work.

Contra deals for promotion/advertising is a normal cheap out for most sports.

Radio and paper are cheaper than TV, especially if new wise items can be given out. Thats run for free.

I would assume all clubs have tried and given the lack of tv adds then they have made a judgement call on their return verses expenditure.

Reply #408012 | Report this post

NYC_LGK27  
Years ago

how often is there ads in the paper for games?

Reply #408013 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

NYC_LGK27 - it's easy to make a point like this one when you fabricate the statistics...

e.g. The Sydney Kings spend $5,000 on tv advertisements. 1,000,000 unique viewers see these advertisements. They are ALL now keen on getting out to the next Kings home game. That's now at least 1,000,000 queuing up to buy tickets to the next home game. Soaring demand drives the price of general admission up. Sydney Kings owners are now projected billionaires.

WHY DON'T ALL TEAMS DO THIS?! Jesus tapdancing Christ.

Reply #408018 | Report this post

NYC_LGK27  
Years ago

^ hahaha.
it didnt sound that bad.

Reply #408020 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

TV ads are expensive. Number of people who'd see the ad and go along is low. People are lazy.

Reply #408024 | Report this post

NYC_LGK27  
Years ago

^ yeah, i see what you're getting at, unless something is free, alot of people wont bother.
which is why they should offer something to giveaway at the game.
maybe 2 kids tickets for free when two adults by tickets?

Reply #408025 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

No, but it sounded like a typical 18-year-old walking out of an Economics 101 lecture and 'knowing all there is to know about the world'.

Reply #408028 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Again, really? You be trolling?

Reply #408029 | Report this post

Fulukovi  
Years ago

Which city is the capital for australian basketball?

Reply #408033 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

I'm with PlaymakerMo. WTF is going on here?!?!

Hey, I've got an idea. Why don't the Kings play outdoors at the Olympic Stadium. Sell tickets for $5 each, that's 80,000 x $5 = $400,000!!! Multiply $400,000 by 14 home games = $5,600,000 a season! That would easily pay for TV commercials and a MUCH bigger salary cap!! Say hello to bench NBA players as imports.

Reply #408042 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Surprised you don't see as many teams trying to advertise ticket sales or deals like 'bring a friend for half price ( for members)' on social media sites or basketball forms like this or ozhoops.

Teams could chuck a quick ad in the paper or through their Facebook/twitter page for quick and cheap deals and that could be a way to attract some new fans.

Isaac, have you ever been contacted by the 6ers or any other club for specific ticket sales or deals to place on this forum in exchange for a little payment to help keep it up and running?

Reply #408052 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I've seen Perth Wildcats advertise their home games in the newspaper but still shocked that 11500 turn up each game.
I think the best advertising a team can do is mingle with other tv shows like iFish as an example, a channel ONE cross promotional fishing show has Ben Madgen and Ian Crosswhite go out on the water, personalities are on display and at the end of the show details on their next home game are displayed and they plug the Friday and Sunday time slots.
That's how they need to do it, a nationalized tv show that's on at a decent hour and replayed during the week will do wonders for this league and give the personality the league needs.

Seeing Chuck Harmison kiss up to the ONE execs about tv times (when some shitty cop show is before it) is a joke and I think teams need to rely upon themselves more as BA and NBL management seem clueless to improve this sports standings in Australia (minus NBL.tv which I love)

Reply #408057 | Report this post

NYC_LGK27  
Years ago

what about advertiseing on the side of a bus in sydney? A big purple advertisment with lazare/ crosswhite dunking and where the game is, game time and ticket prices would stand out.

Reply #408063 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Who do we want to see at an NBL game?

Promote the game directly trough the local junior basketball Associations and get the kids wanting to go and you will have your 20k+ audience.

Ask Hawthorn supporters under 18 years of age why they want to go to the footy, it's to see Buddy or one of the other stars who they see at a footy clinic.

Get in touch with the community and the kids, they aren't watching TV any more anyway, they are all on Facebook!

Reply #408070 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

It's gotten to the stage where you just to have to read a post title to know it comes from NYC, NBL fan or NBL KINGS.

Whatever happened to the latter two?
Or have they morped into NYC?

Btw, all it too to get me to my first NBL game in a decade was the 6th pick in an NBA draft.

What it will take to get me to my next game is a bobblehead (preferably of Chandler Parsons)

Reply #408072 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I still treasure my old Joey Ingles No.7 South Dragons Boggle Head...

Still works too!

Reply #408075 | Report this post

NBL KINGS  
Years ago

Beekayz, whats wrong with my posts? some are a bit stupid, but you dont have to read them

Reply #408083 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

You don't have to write them either. In fact, you haven't for a while. Life's been good.

@Bear I remember when Adelaide's entry into the Australian Baseball League (a long time before they were called 'The Bite') used to sell ice creams in miniature plastic baseball helmets of all the different MLB teams.

that worked really well, promotionally speaking.

I'd still love a bobblehead. Probably the closest the 36ers have to Chandler 'Handsome' Parsons is Stephen "Impeccable Hair' Weigh?

Reply #408089 | Report this post

traread  
Years ago

As everyone has said... It's too expensive. Not only the buying of the ad space but the creation of the TVC also.

The Sydney Kings as an example, are very active in the Media buying space. They have contra deals with various media suppliers around Sydney. Notably JCDecaux.

There are a number of Sydney Kings posters around the city advertising their games. This is free placement as the Kings have provided JCDecaux a corporate box.

No sports team in Australia pay for advertising & most leagues don't either. Any ads you see on TV or on other forms of media are normally contra. Including the NRL & AFL.

Reply #408200 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

#believethehype in da house!

I remember seeing adverts for the Australian Baseball League during MLB games and ads for playing gridiron during NFL games, both on One HD.

Do you think they are contra?

Reply #408210 | Report this post

Beekayz  
Years ago

traread, NYC & NBL KINGS all posting in the same thread = the forum version of 'The Good, The Bad & the Ugly'

Reply #408214 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:54 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754