aristotle
Years ago

wnbl GF - spirit v fire - spoiler

packed house - wish i was there

Topic #31083 | Report this topic

SMA  
Years ago

Tightening up....this could be a classic!

Reply #408650 | Report this post

aristotle  
Years ago

bendigo's for the taking.

TV announcer keeps on about both teams having financial problems - well why are they paying imports if they have no money and using local talent ?

Reply #408654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WNBL commentators are horrible.. poor rule knowledge, barracking during games, fumbling interviews.

Reply #408656 | Report this post

aristotle  
Years ago

well done bendigo and townsville for getting that far.

well attended - great atmosphere - a credit to the womens game here.

thanks ABC for supporting our game over the season !

Reply #408657 | Report this post

Are you not all tired of so many people coming on to this site and just being negative ? Nothing is never good enough ......

What is in the water in Adelaide these days ?

Reply #408661 | Report this post

Supporter  
Years ago

Completely misplaced criticism about the commentators - they have been there in one capacity or the other, all bar the ABC chap, knew their stuff and displayed it as they called the game, while they revealed their ability to empathise as they spoke with coaches and players at various times throughout the broadcast.

While sad for Townsville, well done Bendigo. Tremendous to see new teams at the end of the season.

Reply #408674 | Report this post

Triton 95  
Years ago

I like most of the ABC commentators, Fletcher is a bit boring and predictable and Darren Boyd is pretty terrible at everything but the rest are great IMO.
Congrats to Bendigo, the best team all year.
Everyone who watches live wnbl games needs to try and drag along guests every week, hopefully some of these people will enjoy the game and become regulars and maybe even members of some clubs, we all need to keep trying to bring more attention to the league, its really sad we have teams struggling because we have the second best standard womens league in the world.

Reply #408729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Supporter you cant be serious? they couldnt even work out the correct interpretation of the no charge rule the other week and blammed the refs for making an error. Just 1 example of poor prep.

Reply #408730 | Report this post

VP  
Years ago

Bendigo just outplayed Townsville right from the word go!

Not a great game compared to the semi-finals & prelim finals but then GF don't always end up being that way.

The basketball gods shone brightly on Townsille to get to the GF but Bendigo definitely had the gods on their side in the GF hitting the shots that counted and getting the stops when needed.

Well done Bendigo the Spirit was with you!

Reply #408736 | Report this post

Years ago

The comment was more about the paradox of being cash strapped but gun imports - a first world problem!

Reply #408765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why did Tess Madgen leave the Spirit? Would have to be disappointed not playing in the GF this year!

Reply #408924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's my understanding that Tess believed that Tom Maher could fastrack her basketball development better than Bernie & Kristie Harrower put together. Tess has burnt a bridge with both Harrower's & in hindsight if Tess stayed this year with Bendigo than she could have had an integral role with the Spirit instead of playing with an AIS team Vs Japan U-23 in Canberra on the same weekend as the WNBL Grand Final.

Reply #408945 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

It didn't work out too well for Tess but I put taht mostly down to bad luck.
If Bulleen had healthy point guards this past season then I do think that Tess would have been in a better situation to develop than if she had stayed with Bendigo.
Titles are great of course, but I think the ceiling is quite high for Tess so I applaud her for having development hihg on her priority list. She should be aiming for the Opals starting SG spot.

Reply #408960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has Tess's development gone backwards? Or stayed on par? It certainly doesn't seem to have developed at all! Yet I'm not sure that she should have burnt a bridge as such... players do need to do what they think is best for their career. There are constantly players moving to different clubs, and it seems rare to find a player who is very loyal to the one club!

Reply #408961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And if Tess stays at Bulleen, who will step up to guide her now that Tom is on the move?

Will Gary take charge? Will Timmsy move into the chair? Matt Paps perhaps?

Interesting times indeed.

Reply #408972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Timms is apparently going with Maher to China to be his assistant over there.

Reply #408978 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Not sure why Anon would say that Tess's development has not gone anywhere. I think she would have learned a tremendous amount this past season, and her confidence handling the ball will stand her in good stead going forward. Being thrown in the deep end is not pleasant and it's probably not ideal for the team but strictly from a personal development point of view there's no faster way to learn.

She was playing the 3 spot in Bendigo. There's no way she's a 3 internationally, so getting some serious ball handling into her is a good thing. She's going to need that ability if she's playing in the backcourt at the next level.

Tom & Timmsy will be gone but the Boomers could certainly do a lot worse than Gary Fox as a head coach, if he goes after the job.

Reply #409003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With Tom going to China perhaps Bulleen will have a development program that includes games against China. They did in the past and it seems to attract good young players.

The big question is who is going to be the coach?

Reply #409037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fox is past it, too old and dottery these days.

Reply #409089 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:49 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754