SAC or Metro?
Years ago

State Championships SAC or Metro? Who can claim?

So with Country Champs going on at the moment, I'm seeing some people SAC coaches claiming they are State Champions after their weekend wins.

I know the same thing happens when Metro hold their State Champs.

Why don’t SAC get involved with Metro or vis-versa Metro in SAC "State Championships"

Bit rich for any team or club (Metro or SAC) to be crowned “State Champions” if you don’t actually play the teams available at that time from both Metro or SAC.

And yes I understand that some SAC players do play metro but surely something could be sorted out for State Championships.

Thoughts?

Topic #31109 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dont be a troll the coaches would say they are Country Champions thats all. Country Champs are about division 1.5 standard. Nothing more nothing less.

Reply #408989 | Report this post

SAC or Metro?  
Years ago

Nothing Trolling about it. Seen at least 3 different coaches SAC alone at the weekend claim to be State Champs (on FB). Metro coaches do the same thing at their "state Champs".

Why isn't there a combined Metro and SAC "State Championships"?

No different really to NBA claim to be world champions when Euro League is fast catching if not same than some/most NBA teams.

Reply #409000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is a joke thread, right?

Reply #409009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They would still be very well aware of the difference. Dont detract from their FB entries during moments of excitement.

Reply #409010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well, the "metro" competition is actually open to anyone in the state. So those championships are actually state championships. The country championships are just a silly tournament.

Reply #409017 | Report this post

Years ago

Lot of associations don't even play all year round - would get owned by good d1 team

Reply #409030 | Report this post

Really  
Years ago

SAC or Metro?

Thank you for your troll.

Put your country team into the "State" Championships in May and see.

Because our metro teams are not allowed in the country championships.

Reply #409108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow! Now Clarke is almost gone you people start feeding on each other. Entertaining though!

Reply #409111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can remember exactly one really good country team (from a boys teams persepctive) - a Broken Hill U/14 Boys team about 10 years or so ago. Pretty sure they qualified for Nationals. All the other teams have rarely been competitive with the top 5 or so teams, and often got wiped. But having said that, good on them for exposing thier players to a higher level of competition and developing them.
The only chance they would have would be with their cheating amalgamations.

Reply #409132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ask BSA

Reply #409189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon #409132
I dont think all Sturt or Norwood players live in these suburbs? or any other district club for that matter! District clubs have players from everywhere, so what is the difference? Pt Pirie & Pt Augusta (40 minutes apart)combined a few years ago in the 14 boys Easter tournmaent and took care of all other SA disrict teams quite comfortably. If this team competed in the State champs they would have ended up going to the Nationals that year.
All teams are composite teams.

Reply #409215 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#215, ummm no they wouldn't. They were a reasoable group and would have been a mid-range div 1 group. Having said that, the fact that you have one specific example kind off defeats your own argument. I know the group you're talking and as is often the case with SAC people, you have an inflated opinion of all things country.

Reply #409220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh please SA Country are completely irrelevant. Metro teams would smash SA Country teams like guitars. I remember a few years back when this all conquerring Whyalla U-14 Girls team come down to play in the State Championships as the Whyalla mob thought this was a once in generation side & this team could go to Natinal Club Championships if they finished Top 2. Anyway this team was completely embarassed & a reality check was given!

Reply #409225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

132 - what has where players live got to do with anything? It is where they PLAY. Port Pirie and Port Augusta combining are an amalgamation - not a club - and thus would be cheating if they entered state championships as anything other than their own seperate entities. Do they play that way (combined) in SAC Champs? Of course not. What would be the same would be if Forestville and Sturt COMBINE to put a team in as "they are only 10 minutes apart". Or Woodville, West and Magic as an amalgamated Western suburbs team.
It is cheating, plain and simple.

Reply #409232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think its a laugh, talking about country teams this way, to think that many of the big clubs aren't taking kids from other areas to strengthen their teams.??? You often see a kids playing for one of the weaker clubs/teams one season, If they are noticeably great players in their respective club/team, then all the sudden they may appear at one of the big two teams. Wonder how that happens.. Yes it comes under the cloak of what they like to call development, as I often read on this forum. This happens as you are telling the weaker teams/clubs to stop whinging and fix your club.
Yes its all legal at State Champs time, but is just not called amalgamating. I believe the word may be poaching BUT ONLY FOR DEVELOPMENTS SAKE...LOL
If the shoes fits, you may be wearing it

Reply #409255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So under your premise anon, SA country could put in a State team under the Eastern Hill association?

If you are looking for something similar, it would be Southern and South combinng for the State Champs.

The idea is that were you affiliate you play.

Reply #409269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA Country could put a state team in State Champs in most grades and still not win. There are kids in most of the SAC teams who are barely Div 1 players in the district comp.

Reply #409274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And 274 there are some Country Kids that may be better than some of their BSA District Kids, your point being ??...
I am going to assume there are some great players all over the state. City and Country. Thats got to be great for South Australia.. Just some of you dont get far past the toll Gate, further up North or South from you Metro areas to have any idea what may be there.
I believe I heard in Ballerat this year that a certain 15s Country team blitzed most of the competition. Yes one team, but small country population, training would have been hard for them being all over the state, but their wins Including Metro SA, by quite a margin, WA Metro, a couple country Vic teams and a VIC Metro team. Losing the GF by 2 points to a Vic Metro team that beat the our other SA Metro team by 43.
My point being there Must be some great country players out there somewhere then, going by those results
Especially as you are now saying they could put a state team in, and still not win. ? Yes the district teams are of course very, very good, but don't dismiss so easily what some country players may have to offer.

Reply #409285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed, there are some great country players out there, but not enough to make any country teams competitive in Div 1 at State Champs.

That is my point, which was the original topic of this thread.

Reply #409300 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

Metro fans never fear, across the board your teams will always be better than country association teams with an occassional exception to Mount Gambier, Eastern and once in a generation teams from Yorke Valley, Broken Hill and the Upper Spencer Gulf region.

Comparing country associations with foundation district clubs is about as useful as comparing basketball teams of different eras. Resourcing, talent catchments, locational advantages/disadvantages, facilities, frequency and choice of competitions for players outside of district comps etc, are gulfs apart.

Those involved with Country Associations (in most instances, but not always all) are not naive, while they would like to believe they can be competitive with some of the powerhouse metro foundation clubs (occassionally), they are quite aware those situations are extremely rare (emphasis on competitive, not better).

Ok a coach might occassionally claim that as winners of the Country Championships they are "State Champion", but you have to appreciate that those involved in country basketball are well aware it is only among those country associations who have attended the the championships.

Don't spend a further second believing that the balance of playing talent in this great State has miraculously shifted to one particular country association, that is more likely to occur within the metro district system.

Reply #409303 | Report this post

Showtime  
Years ago

I think coaches get excited about putting just "State Champs" instead of 'State Country Champs'.

Most Associations cant put in teams as most players in stronger associations have players play in Div 1 metro teams and metro clubs certainly want players to commit to their programs, but thats not to say it wont happen and it has on some ocassions.

BSA State champs are more than willing to look and accept Country nominations in Div 1 as long as its ONE association not a couple or several joining together.

Bigs Ads has summed most of your questions up

Reply #409311 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:07 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754