Isaac
Years ago

SEABL to be renamed before 2014 season

In 2014, the South East Australian Basketball League will be renamed as part of its full integration within Basketball Australia.

Consequently we are giving the public an opportunity to have their say on what the rebranded competition will be called. The new name should more accurately reflect the league's position as Australia’s national winter basketball competition. Entries can be submitted via email to [email protected] up until Sunday June 30th. Be sure to enter Name the New League in the subject field. Entries submitted via Facebook or Twitter will not be considered.

The SEABL governing body will subsequently consider a shortlist of names, with the new name to be revealed during the SEABL Championship weekend on September 14 and 15.
Full story

Topic #31111 | Report this topic

Anon  
Years ago

Ummm, ok nice idea but all they can come up with is a $200 prize pack ....

Is it just me or is that being pretty cheap ?

Reply #408975 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Any ideas on the name?

Reply #408981 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Seemed a bit cheap to me. $200 in exchange for potentially scouring the brains of hundreds.

Wish one of the basketball comps had come up with A-League before soccer/football did. Not like we can go with B-League...

What range of teams are playing SEABL now and in the immediate future? How "South-East" is it?

Reply #408984 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

With SEABL now part of BA the intention for it is to become the National Underpinning league. In reality it will just be SEABL with another name. The operating costs of participating in a league such as this completely puts it out of the price range of most interstate clubs. These interestate clubs are not going to want to travel to Melbourne every other weekend to be beat up on by the powerhouse Victorian clubs who already are financially in a space race to outdo each other often at the detriment of their juniors who miss out.

Reply #408993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

National Basketball League?

Reply #408994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SEABL with another name is about right (& a good name lol) but if BA gets involved you can bet it will be poorly run, not promoted & struggle to survive over the longer term. These guys could not organise a food fight if everybody brought their own plate of food.

Reply #408996 | Report this post

CR  
Years ago

@Isaac current team list from SEABL Web site ...

Albury Wodonga
Ballarat
Bendigo
Canberra
Brisbane
Dandenong
Frankston
Geelong
Hobart
Kilsyth
Knox
Launceston
Mt Gambier
Nunawading
NW Tasmania
Sandringham

Most westerly is Mt Gambier ...

Most northerly is Brisbane - but nothing in NSW ...

Could almost be called the Vic-Tas League.

But I had the impression half the difficulty in finalising a new competition was to broaden the representation, especially into Qld, NSW and SA ... but has been problematic to find additional associations wanting to be included and able to afford to be included.

Perhaps the plan has just defaulted to "rename SEABL" and take it from there ? Not sure ... anyone else shed some light ?

Reply #408997 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

@SEABL have said that officially there are no real changes due in the short term. Seems like it will be the same teams competing. All states bar WA and NT have a team in the comp.

Edit: Another reply -

@isaacforman At this stage, yes. Obviously we always aspire to be a truly national winter competition, and our new name should reflect this.

From Wikipedia:
In 1981, the South Eastern Australian Basketball League (SEABL) was born when the Australian Club Championships ceased to operate due to the rise of Australia's first truly national competition, the now professional National Basketball League.
Almost wonder if SEABL shouldn't adopt NBL and the NBL (now that it includes a NZ team) takes on something broader.

Reply #408998 | Report this post

CR  
Years ago

But 10 Vic teams, two from Tas, one country team from SA, one called Brisbane and one called Canberra ...

Hardly a true national competition with even representation ... and Brisbane and Canberra not even association based.

The whole idea of the UPL was that is was supposed to be a national competition for associations.

Has that gone out the window ?

Reply #408999 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I always liked the idea of an umbrella competition sitting over the individual state leagues, with Tasmania playing with Victoria and the ACT with NSW. I know travel for finals series got ruled out by SA teams as too expensive and general travel for games is problematic, but it'd certainly be quite a neat solution.

Reply #409001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CR: "nothing in NSW ..."

Just where do you think Albury is Einstein? :P

Reply #409002 | Report this post

CR  
Years ago

^Point taken - I was thinking of Sydney ... although as it's Albury Wodonga we could say half Victoria/half NSW ...

Reply #409008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only joking CR... I agree with your points entirely. SEABL is very much concentrated in Victoria which means it's not anything close to a national league. The state based leagues are quite a bit weaker, particularly in NSW & SA.

Reply #409014 | Report this post

CR  
Years ago

^Well we were both half right ... LOL ...

I agree, the closer you look at the structure of SEABL the stranger it looks ... seems to be all for the benefit of the core Vic "power associations" ...

I thought the whole point of the UPL was to level the playing field and make the new competition more inclusive and more affordable to a broader range of associations.

If it's all been watered down to "rename SEABL" that would not be progressive at all ... if a stepping stone, ok, but is starting to sound like it's all become too hard.

Reply #409016 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Just throwing up a few random names:

AWBL (Australian Winter Basketball League)
ABL (Australian Basketball League)
BAA (Basketball Australia Association)

The key is costs associated are to much for many clubs however i can't see why BSA couldn't some how get 2 or 3 clubs to back a team...i know there is politics but in a perfect world SA & NSW would do this to create a team from both capital cities.

Reply #409018 | Report this post

CR  
Years ago

@TW careful man, someone might steal your fabulous ideas and you will miss out on the 200 smackers ! Err, sorry, prize pack to the value of $200.

Reply #409019 | Report this post

CR  
Years ago

I started well ...

I got as far as Winter Australian National ... then I couldn't think of anything starting with K.

Reply #409022 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Southern Club Championship
Southern Basketball Championship
20 State Leagues Down Under
Australian Club Championship

Reply #409028 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Isaac makes a good point regarding the SEABL adopting the name 'NBL', and the current NBL adopting another name.

A second NZ franchise seems somewhat inevitable in the medium-term assuming the entire league doesn't dissolve - it's a possibility whether we choose to actively acknowledge it or not.

THEN it would appear prudent to change the name of the current NBL, maybe to the 'Australasia League' or 'Oceania League'? Maybe Basketball Australia should be proactive about this, rather than reactive.

Though I'm not sure how keen BA would be on changing the name of the current NBL, particularly after the branding stints recently undertaken e.g. broadcasting contracts with Ten. While not a huge one, I would think the naming rights for 'NBL' is an asset.

Reply #409041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The SEABL is certainly looking at including NSW teams again. That would need to be kept in mind for any future name.

Reply #409061 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Okay, here it is folks...

Change the NBL to SEABL (South East Asian Basketball League), reinstate that team from Singapore with the horrible uniform and rename SEABL to the NBL (National Basketball league) with the addition of a team from S.A. and at least one from N.S.W. to join the league, done!

Failing that, combine the two of them and stick with NBL, problem solved and save the $200.00 to put towards a new uniform design for the Slingers...

Reply #409073 | Report this post

Clapped Out Hack  
Years ago

If Tassie can maintain two reasonably competative teams in SEABL surely there must be a number of ABA level teams in Adelaide and NSW that could manage it without too much difficulty?

Reply #409076 | Report this post

CR  
Years ago

^The problem is that regardless of where the team is based, SEABL teams need to "import" (either locally or overseas) to be competitive.

The challenge for the "new SEABL" is for there to be a level playing field where all teams (including new teams) have reasonably equal access to players and dollars.

Otherwise the existing Vic power clubs are going to dominate. That seems to be the big challenge yet to really be addressed.

Reply #409083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CR, nothing is stopping (or has stopped) teams from NSW, WA, Nth Qld etc from entering SEABL either in the past or as it currently stands now let alone the "yet to be renamed" league.

In fact there used to be quite a few NSW teams in SEABL but they dropped out (Penrith, Bankstown etc).

SEABL looked at a Cairns bid a few years ago but the $ wasnt there.
Bottom line is it already is a "National league" by virtue that its open to any financially viable entry from anywhere in Australia.

Reply #409094 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think there should only be one import in lower grades in Australia, the scoring is dominated by imports in many teams and it doesnt encourage Aussie talent to step up.

Reply #409099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I disagree, the Import talent helps keep the League standard high which makes our players better, they learn from these players and work harder to compete with and against them. It gets crowds through the door and makes it entertaining. Many SEABL programs have leveraged off the charisma and attraction their 2 imports bring which makes their programs better.

Reply #409103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The SEABL is the strongest it has been in a very long time. There will very few gimmie's this season across both conference's.

Reply #409114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about the National Underpinning League: NUL.

Reply #409120 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"I disagree, the Import talent helps keep the League standard high which makes our players better"

Maybe better at defending and playing off the ball, which are important, but I would like to see more Aussies having to take lead roles for their second tier teams, and more of the $$ being spent on good Aussie talent.

I dont like seeing so many players defer to imports, it doesnt help their development and reduces the incentive for clubs to develop go-to local players.

Reply #409124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A few NSW clubs have floated the idea of a move to SEABL but the money hasn't been there. There are many reports that Ben Kight is pushing for his Norths WCL team to play in SEABL in 2014, you'd guess with some kind of backing or at least support from the Kings. Ideally there should be 3 or 4 teams from NSW with 2 Sydney based teams, one from the Hunter region & possibly another centred on the Illawarra.

No money has always been the reason cited for the lack of NSW teams but it's a hollow excuse when regiuonal teams like Albury-Wodonga, Mt Gambier & NW Tasmania can manage to survive (& even win a championship).

Reply #409126 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

The money is an issue but a couple of the larger clubs in NSW could afford to put a team in if they run it correctly.

BNSW should really be offering any assitance it can to a team wishing to enter SEABL as it will only improve senior basketball in NSW and is good for all parties invovled including the Kings & grass roots particpants.

Reply #409148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Talk of Nth Syd, Newcastle and Comets. To enter the SEABL now I understand that you have to enter both a mens and womers team.

Reply #409240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It wasn't long ago that BNSW actively discouraged associateions from putting teams into SEABL. I'm told they even threatened to deregister them so they could not participate in BNSW competitions. You would hope that one small positive of having BA overseeing everything is that sort of nonsense won't happen but BNSW will not want to see their Waratah competition weakened any more than it already is.

Reply #409246 | Report this post

COLLEGEIDEA  
Years ago

COLLEGE EXAMPLE
How about they follow the college format where you play in and out of conference games across Australia meaning that associations don't have as much travel throughout the year keeping costs down and then they fight for a NCAA tournament spot at the end of it all. Winner at the end of it all is ABL champion. Teams could be promoted from Div 2 into Div 1 etc. That way their is still the opportunity for teams from interestate to test themselves against VIC teams, get NSW involved and other states too.

Just a thought.

Reply #409258 | Report this post

CR  
Years ago

To the anon many posts ago "nothing is stopping NSW, QLD etc teams from entering SEABL".

Well, if they are not entering, something is stopping them - QED.

A competition that is predominantly Victorian associations is not a national comp, no matter how much you guild the lily.

My entry for the competition name, whatever it is:

Southern Cross Basketball League

(c) me, even if I forget to send to the email address, in this thread for the record.

Reply #409284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CR, so one state has the strongest associations and teams in the country so therefore teams from other states can't compete?? Seems very illogical.
Like i said, SEABL will take entry's from ANYWHERE in Australia provided they can meet the entry requirements, those requirements WILL NOT get any easier under BA's control and a name change either.

If the league in 2014 stays with the same current teams that's not the leagues fault, it doesnt mean it isnt a national competition either, it just means the better teams are concentrated in some states.

Reply #409296 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

There is an important fundamental question that needs to be asked here, which is about overall structure.

Is it better for NSW (example) to have a thriving state league than the SEABL to have more teams?

Understanding this premise. More teams will not make the SEABL better, it will make it weaker. It might be more interesting, but that is another issue.

The SEABL is not in my view the excellent competition it was maybe 10-12 years ago, more teams will not improve that. Neither will it make it more financially sustainable unless extremely carefully planned.

To correct a few here, the objections from various states about participation in the heralded UPL some years back were about the management of the league, and the grandfather clauses being written in which protected the Victorian hegemony.

That Victorian group has shown themselves to be a powerful and disruptive force when they do not get their own way - witness previous discussions here about how they were allowed to simply run off and form the d-league, doing significant damage at the time to the BigV.

Western Australia and Queensland have long been anti-seabl. They opposed at the time the self managed style of the seabl, independent as it was at the time completely from any governing body in australian basketball. That has changed somewhat, but not enough, to give those other states confidence.

I think a lot has changed, and that is good, but the behaviour of the SEABL has not been well regarded over the years.

Reply #409315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"A competition that is predominantly Victorian associations is not a national comp, no matter how much you guild the lily."

So the AFL isn't a national competition?

Reply #409328 | Report this post

CR  
Years ago

^Comparing the structure of SEABL with the AFL ? LOL ...

Reply #409333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ho suggesting the SEABL is weaker now than it was 10 -12 years ago shows how much you dont know about the SEABL. It's the strongest and most competitive competition it has ever been. Brisbane entered the SEABL to play in the best competition in Australia other than the NBL.
Adelaide opted years ago to drop out because they couldnt afford it and in most cases when they got to the Nationals were the easy beats of that competition.
MtGambier has assmebled a strong side tis year and will be super competitive.
WA is a logistic thing. travel and cost equalisation to get there is prohibitive for all teams. Canberra have been in it for years and have recruited very well this season, after a disastorous season last year.
Tasmania has only 2 teams now but they are a good competitive state Vs the rest.
Geelong, Bendigo and most of the Melb based clubs will be as strong if not stronger than previous years, with Ballaarat dropping the ball this season.
There is talk of up to 3 NSW re entering the competition in the near future. Albury haven't been in the finals for over a decade and last year won it all. They recruited well and were no longer the easy beats that had been.
The SEABL is getting bigger and stronger and more competitive every season and this season it will be at it's strongest for a very long time.

Reply #409337 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Lovely spruiking. Thanks.

Having a more competitive season (and hat may well be the case) does not mean the competition is getting stronger. Competitions go through ups and down in terms of closeness.

Brisbane did not enter the SEABL rather than the NBL. Complete garbage. Brisane, I mean Southern Districts Spartans, were an outsider in Queensland, disliked by their peer clubs, and thought they were too good for QBL, which has actually over many years been a very good club competition. They were agitating for change in the QBL, which would have disadvantaged the northern teams, and cracked it when they could not get their own way. Lets not get into romantic fairytales about Southern Districts.

WA dislike the SEABL management with a passion. If you do not understand the politics of that then you don't also understand the long term arrogance of their SBL, which for a long time believed they were a far better comp than the SEABL - which I do not believe for a minute btw.

Sorry, you seem to be a SEABL apologist, and that is just lovely for you, but it remains that the State bodies generally do not like the independent governance and management structure the seabl have had for many years.

Reply #409359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The SEABL competition has been getting increasingly stronger for years.

Reply #409388 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Sad little people. Saying it does not make it so. SEABL saying it certainly does not make it so. SEABL apologists repeating SEABL make saying it all a little sad.

The SEABL is a very good competition, I have no problem with that. But the fact that the gap between it and the NBL has got so much wider over the last decade is a very good indication of where it has not been.

Reply #409393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HO's suggesting they know anything about the Seabl and can be speaking on their from without having any knowledge of it is a joke.
WA has never been interested ever in joining the SEABL. You only need to look at the recent years and the disparity between top and bootom to see how much stronger the SEABL is.
CJ, gruber, Herbert,Garlepp, Goulding, and the list goes on of players that have come from the Seabl in recent years shows just how strong the competition is.
Fergusson, McFarlin, Strong, CJ again all talked about being NBL candidates still
No need to be an apologist at all. It's simply the truth.

Reply #409401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dowdell, Allen, Dann, Walker,Hill,Crosswell all playing in the underperforming Seabl in 2013.

Reply #409402 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

The biggest key is the power base of basketball outside of the NBL is in the South Eastern suburbs of Melbourne. (Kilsyth,Nunawading,Knox,Dandy,Frankston, Sandy)

These clubs will always want to control there own destiny in respect of the SEABL comp but they also understand that they need the UPL to be viable to associations in NSW/QLD/SA moving forward as falling back into a pure state based league isn't good for them.

"Hopefully" we can put politics aside and use the UPL as a true stepping stone to NBL etc with the UPL really encouraging BNSW to get assocaitions into the comp together with another QLD & SA team.

In order to help advance our game the UPL needs to have invovlement from all Capital cities in the Sth East.

Reply #409403 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Anon, it if is the same anon and I assume it is. You really need to READ what I said, not make up what you think I said.

For instance, I did not say that WA ever wanted to be part of SEABL. I just gave the you the REAL reason they do not want to, and have never wanted, to be part of it.

Do you understand the difference, in between your SEABL woofing?

And, I never said the SEABL was underperforming, in fact I said it was a very good competition. I just don't believe the game in SEABL is as tough or good as it was going back a decade. (BTW, in the context that the gap between SEABL and NBL is getting wider it probably is under-performing, and seriously....)

The argument that competitions create players is tiresome. Competitions contribute to the development of players, contribute being the key word. But that player also played VJBL or Sydney Junior league and therefore it is that competition that is the best in the nation and constantly getting better isn't it? Or does that logic not pervade your whoofing?

Reply #409416 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Last four anon posts are from the same IP, yes.

Anon, please pick a name so people can follow your argument.

Reply #409421 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

What was the outcome of this?

Reply #437856 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:22 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754