Topic #31192 | Report this topic

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

COTY - 1. Gordie McLeod 2. Shane Heal
ROTY - 1. Gliddon 2. Tomlinson 3. Daly
6th Man - 1. Jesse Wagstaff 2. Adris Deleon
DPOY - 1. Damian Martin 2. Cedrick Jackson
MIP - 1. Chris Goulding 2. Ben Madgen

Only ROTY seems to be a lock. I could imagine my #2's winning 6th man, DPOY & MIP, and anyone could win COTY.

Reply #410175 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

COTY-Lemanis
ROTY-Gliddon
6thMan-Deleon
DPOY-Jackson
MIP-Madgen

MVP-Jackson

Reply #410178 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Gordie has done some amazing work at the Hawks to keep them dangerous despite such major injuries. So many narrow losses in there too. But Lemanis' record is strong enough to get him COTY. Obviously has an MVP import, a great budgetish import, two key Breakers and a couple of good vets. But he's got good numbers from Corletto and finds opportunities for others too like Henry, Webster, etc. No doubt has a strong roster, but only lost a few games all season.

Gliddon is an easy call for ROTY - played like he's been in the league for a couple of years at least.

Best sixth man is a tough one to judge given that Deleon started much of the season. Can you judge him only on those games? Hard to predict what people might think with that one.

Disappointed that Vukona is the only big listed for DPOTY. Jackson gets this one.

Most Improved has a good field. IMO, Rhys Martin improved more than people realised, playing a smarter and more disciplined game, but I don't think he'll get noticed.

Blanchfield: +2.6 PPG, +4 FG%, +0.5 BPG (improved despite poor Crocs start)
Hire: +2.1 PPG, +3.6 RPG, +0.9 APG, +0.6 SPG, -18 FG% (legit part of the rotation now)
Madgen: +5.3 PPG, +0.5 APG, +4 FG% (big scoring upgrade)
Martin: +2 PPG, +5 FG%, +10 3P%, -0.7 TPG (quiet improver)
Goulding: +7.5 PPG, +0.6 SPG

Despite Hire's huge drop in FG%, I think he's a strong candidate. Madgen also stepped up yet again. But I'm leaning towards Goulding. Hard to know how flakey he is still in the Tigers' rabble, but he's one of the league's best scorers and got his share of highlights - dunks, blocks, etc.

Reply #410179 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Norton got 'snubbed' for ROTY because they changed the rule a few years ago to preclude anyone who had been on a roster or a DP before.

But then, from memory, the Madgen exception came in allowing DPs to be included. Unfortunately, I dont think someone like Norton who played four games last year is eligible, even though he is a rookie for all intents and purposes.

Would like it to be a U24 award that a player can only win once or something along those lines, because a lot of guys in their rookie year dont get a chance to show what theyve got.

If we get back up to 12 teams or more then more rookies will get decent minutes.

Reply #410183 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

RE: Isaac: "Disappointed that Vukona is the only big listed for DPOTY. Jackson gets this one."

agreed, I thought blocking shots was playing Defense and Pledger would have had a sniff but the award is ultimately Jackson's IMO

Reply #410186 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Daly has played before, but as a DP. Whereas Norton presumably played previously as a rotation player? Is that the distinction?

Reply #410190 | Report this post

Wildcats  
Years ago

Damian martin, every game he playz is the same if only he good hit the out side shots he would be up there for mvp

Reply #410196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone have a list of last years winners?? Can't seem to find them anywhere?
Also, do statistical leaders get awards at the awards night? Eg: leader in PPG gets announced and gets a trophy etc.

Reply #410197 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

D Martin won't win MVP or be close to the top 5.

Norton was never a development player, last season was a full contracted player but missed almost all of the season due to injury. I asked someone from the league front office at the start of the year if he would be a rookie this season, they said yes. Now changed their mind *shrugs*

Reply #410200 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Anon - for list of past winners of awards, go to the NBL Media Guide 2012-13. You can find on NBL web site under NBL HQ...Media

Reply #410205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cheers PeterJohn!

Reply #410207 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Surprised to see Anstey nominated as CoTY - he certainly looks out of place in that group. Tigers are 10-8 with Flynn playing and 0-8 without him. 0-9 if you add the game against the Hawks where he got injured. It's pretty clear the Tigers are where they are because of Flynn and not the coaching.

Does the league set itself a requirement of 5 nominees in every category and just pick the coaches of the top 5 teams (at the time) for CoTY? If so, that would seem odd in an 8 team league.

Reply #410214 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Oh and FWIW

Lemanis
Gliddon
Petrie
Martin
Madgen
Jackson for MVP

Reply #410215 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

PeterJohn, Anstey's said on Twitter that he doesn't deserve the nomination and that only Lemanis or Bevo should be considered. I think Gordie has to at least be a nomination. And not unhappy with Heal being named too. If they needed a fifth, I would've put Woolpert in just for resurrecting the Crocs season.

Reply #410228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they needed a fifth, I would've put Ervin in just for resurrecting the Crocs season.

Fixed.

Reply #410238 | Report this post

Wildcats  
Years ago

I said if martin could knock down the pull up j or a three, he would be up there like jackson is. Where cj improved so much on his out side shot, now u go out to guard the three he is half way down the key.

Reply #410239 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Woolpert? No. I agree with your first 4 coaches being worthy of recognising with a nomination, but realistically it is a 2 horse race, and even that might be stretching it.
If Perth happens to beat NZ this Friday then Bevo wins the regular season series 3-1, which is some ammunition in his favour.
If NZ wins then I couldn't see justification for anyone other than Andrej getting it. 25-3 speaks for itself!

Reply #410241 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

Norton - very disappointing he was on the list at the start of the year! he was NEVER a development player and it was stated due to the lack of games and minutes he still qualified. Look it won't surprise him he has had every knock along the way but with amazing support from those who really know him. It is sad to have the nomination honor taken away. Will be interesting to see if then Crocs step up here ! Not good look NBL to have him in at the start and then pull him out of the running!

Reply #410257 | Report this post

Bill Russell  
Years ago

Is this the Blake Griffin rule for ROTY?

Reply #410265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bill Russell (and John I guess) - Griffin didnt play any games at all in his first year after being drafted, so winning ROY the following year makes sense.
Mitch Norton played 4(?) games in his rookie year, therefore wasn't eligible for ROY this season.
Its pretty clear cut. Dont play any games as a fully contacted player in your first season, and you may have a case for being eligible in the second year in the NBL, just like the NBA does. Otherwise, you aren't in.
Imagine the outcry from idiots like Daniel Eade if Norton was mentioned (or won, but clearly wouldnt have been the case this season). It would make the NBL look unprofessional.

Reply #410286 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

I've seen double and the odd triple posts before, but 5? That's a fair effort.

Reply #410287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I largely agree Isaac but I wouldn't bother with a 5th nomination. I see nomination for something like this as being merit based and I simply think none of Woolpert, Clarke, Anstey and Fearne merit nomination this year. I feel each of the other 4 have done something this year to merit recognition through nomination. I would not be gobsmacked if any of those 4 got the gong - a little surprised with Heal or McLeod, perhaps, but not astounded.

Reply #410289 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They obviously list five for each category. It's just a nomination.

Reply #410294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Awards night starts in just over an hour. Anyone going who can give updates??

Reply #410711 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:35 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754