Isaac
Years ago

Boti article on Gibson's future

Adam Gibson's 251st NBL game on Saturday against Wollongong will not necessarily be his last as an Adelaide 36er, despite hot rumours linking him to Melbourne next year.

"It's all news to me, I'm not even close to deciding," the soon-to-be free agent said.

"I want to wait until the end of the season, then it's a couple of weeks after the grand final, so I'm three to four weeks away from a decision."
After Saturday night's final away game, 36ers fans will have an anxious wait as Gibson, who signed for one year with an optional second year, has his agent test the free agency waters.
A sad tidbit from @nblfacts mentioned in the article:
Adelaide will complete back-to-back bomb shelter finishes regardless of Saturday's result, becoming also only the second team in history to finish last in three of four years.

Bankstown previously in 1979-80-82 alone held the benchmark for futility.

Topic #31209 | Report this topic

shin splints  
Years ago

One hopes that Gibson is not using his option year as leverage over the Sixers in an attempt to influence the contract status of the current head coach.

Reply #410323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't worry Shin Splints.

There is no chance that Gibson is saying either Clarke stays or I go.

Reply #410324 | Report this post

Triton 95  
Years ago

I thought Adelaide fans would be happy about him leaving, then they can get an Import PG, and eveyone knows all/most of the Import PG's have played/can play better than Gibson.

Reply #410326 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Gibson is out franchise guy.

Reply #410330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gibson would simply go to the 2 with an import 1 on board. That's his more natural spot anyway.

Reply #410331 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

Obviously likes the facilities and court but not sure if it is enough to keep him. I would not be breaking hte bank ot get him. We have a good rotationof Aussie bigs and as long as Creek and Weigh return we can go after an import PG and SG

Reply #410338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well it's his option and the money would already be locked in should he decide to take it up.

Reply #410340 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Seems some of our players are signed with a Coach out
Sixers are keen to sign Gibson and Weigh
Clarke keen to go around agen , confident he can turn it around.
Sixers (Parker) no announcement on that 'til end of season.
Seems this Season equal to last Season is 36ers worst ever .

Reply #410348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was cracking up laughing hearing Marty say he wants to stay on the ABC last night.

"Yeah lotsa luck buddy!"

Reply #410351 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

Marty can stay by all means. He just shouldn't be a Head Coach.

Keep him on as a Developmental coach to keep the players happy and invite talent. Get a guy who can handle game-time situations better.

Reply #410352 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Yeah , a lotta media about Crosswell retiring
ABC TV at training yesterday interviewed Crosswell , Clarke and Parker .
Hoping to sign Gibson Weigh and a good Import .

Reply #410353 | Report this post

locationlocation  
Years ago

Any truth to the rumour that Weigh is headign home over the break for QBL? Considering he stayed last year, would you read much into that?

Reply #410355 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Only that he was injured last offseason , hung around did a bit with Croswell , trying to heal his foot.

Reply #410361 | Report this post

Quickie  
Years ago

Gibson waiting to see who is coaching first,surprise that his manager testing the waters.Crossie retiring and gibbo going will free up money to buy a quality import.IMO
Gibbo won't be here next season.melb or Sydney bigger cities suits him with lifestyle .

Reply #410362 | Report this post

sunnycoast  
Years ago

I agree keep clarke as an assistant to a new head coach has alot to offer the club but not as head coach. I know he probably doesn't want to become an assistant but I think he owes the club that after the past 3 seasons.

Reply #410366 | Report this post

Quickie  
Years ago

Brett brown coach sixers,Marty assistant same as Olympics.

Reply #410369 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

So what development is marty responsible for.
Greatest turnover of players in 36er history.
Developed nothing other tham a losing mentality.
Crazy perception that he is development coach. Yes he had a job that was to develop players. Who knows whether he was good at it. He had the best kids in the country. He had a great opportunity here and stuffed it up.

Reply #410372 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

So Adelaide is not big enough for Gibbo. "Bit like Tassy" Take your ego to Sydney or Melbourne, we dont want people like you representing our city.

Reply #410373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can understand Gibson somewhat he does have a bit of a reputation as a party animal.

So put his money towards Ervin, win/win.

Reply #410374 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

Would love to see Ervin as a 36er. Has he indicated he wants to come to us though ? . Really liked gibbo as a player but if he is taking the $$ and role of an import i wouldnt renew. Plus if players dont want to be here then seeya later i say. I dont think we need much tinkering but would love a player that we can all get excited about again. This years team and that of the past seasons lacked it.

Reply #410378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marty needs to get his head out of the sand and realise one of his biggest issues is Mark Radford. Those 2 are in eachothers pockets so severely and Radford with his aggresive approach seems to have brain washed Marty to a degree into believing all the issues have nothing to do with them as coaches. The lack of accountability they show, has reflected in the results. Its rude and shows no respect to the 36ers and the fan base to put their hands up and say they want to kep coaching. Fall on the sword and piss off.

Reply #410379 | Report this post

YouknowME  
Years ago

Gibbos probably one of my preferred 6ers players but I wouldnt cry myself to sleep if he moved on... We bsolutely should not rehire clarke, if we do.. we deserve all the shame we get

Reply #410382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ervin wants to come to adelaide @ 100k

Reply #410389 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I think Ervin would want closer to $200k rather then $100k

Reply #410390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ervin aint worth 200 G's!

Reply #410409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder if the Toxic town will come onto his mind??

Reply #410415 | Report this post

JimmyBuckets  
Years ago

If Ervin wants to come to 36ers for 100k, i say lock him in now,

Id expect it would cost around 150-200k.

Id be happy to pay him around the 150-170k mark, but anything over i probably wouldnt, just too much given the NBL's salary cap and he isnt a guy who makes you a instant contender, but is a very good player, puts bums on seats, can win you a game, and a legit MVP level player.

Infact the only guy in the league id consider paying above say 170k is Cedric Jackson, everyone else needs to be around 160k or less or id look elsewhere.

I still want Ervin in a 36ers uniform, would be basically my number 1 target, but not at all costs, we still need to build a strong, deep, talented roster, cant spend too much on 1 guy.

As for Gibson, i am a fan, would love to keep him, but again not at all costs, if we keep him imo, we need to basically give him the role Martin playes for Perth, ie run the team, play defense, hustle for everything and shoot/score when its there, but not try to be the main guy scoring wise as he is not a go to guy offensively or a consistent scorer, even though he does have a better shooting/scoring game than Martin, but not an elite scorer, more of a defensive player. We would also need a scorer better than a Cadee along side him to make it work, otherwise we just dont get enough points from the back court which was an issue this year. I think Gibson basically has said this himself, about being naturally more of a defensive player. Clarke just tried to make him Lisch, when he was more Martin, even though i wasnt against the idea at the start it just didnt work out as we all hoped. However with no inside knowledge what so ever, i think Botis earlier blog about the rumour of Gibson at the Tigers is more likely than him staying a 36er, many fans seem to be resound to the fact he is likely to leave, so yea my mock teams are based on this assumption, ie why im so keen to get a guy like Ervin.

Reply #410422 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I would be happy for a swap like this:

Crosswell 60k
Gibson 130k
Pero 40k

for

Ervin $150k
Massingale $40k
Daly/Free Agent $40k

Starting 5 of

Petrie
Johnson
Weigh
Massingale
Ervin

Bench

Cadee
Creek
Schenscher
Daly/FA
DP (A shooting guard)

Reply #410470 | Report this post

Bg04  
Years ago

Would be very happy with that line-up @kingjames.
With Joey Wright as coach and Brett Maher Asst.

Reply #410578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just noticed that Gibbo was involved in coaching clinics with the contracted players ( swear it's him, Never seem to see him clearly though), through clubs FB page.

Positive sign that he is still in town, involved, etc ? Or is it just standard for players to fulfil their obligations or whatever they need to do?

Reply #414935 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:48 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754