Anonymous
Years ago

Sturt v Eastern

Sturt won the men's 108 to 98, also won the women's, not sure on the scoreline.

Good to see Steve Breheny win the raffle, and Hill get a tech foul for Eastern

Topic #3126 | Report this topic

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

D.Ng came up big with the 3's down the stretch to put the game out of reach of Eastern.

Also good to see J.Goodenough find some form, Sturt couldn't contain him all game!

B.Bungey had a monster game, but did get a tech also, however it was the Sturt bench being warned all game...go figure?

No wonder Hans Blix couldn't find any weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, the two biggest guns are attached to D.Shepherd's shoulders!

M.Bowley doing it inside and out, draining a big triple!

I gotta feel sorry for Sturt #12, comes on in trash time with Brehney and Humpires, gets one touch, and gets blocked.

Celebrity of the game - aside from the man Isaac, Deb Wilcox! Ex-Mavs player now the Centre at Belmont Abbey in the US, must be a short team!

The womens game featured some siblings. O'Brien sisters from Eastern both performed well, as did the Bowley sisters from Sturt.

In the end sturt doing it easy, with a few key players out of action. James-Martin, Waterboy and Gower all didn't suit.

Reply #35874 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sturt women started slowly but got on a solid run midway through the game (14-0 or whatever) and took the win. Jane Summerton hit 3 threes in a row and Monique Bowley was getting some good boards. Hannah Bowley missed the game through injury.

In the men's game, Brad Davis had a good start, but then was quiet after that. Sabres were missing starters Paul Bauer and Todd Gower, and early sub Tom James-Martin (all injured). At half-time, Sturt were up, Oscar Forman had 12 and 6, Tom Finkemeyer had 10 and 7 I think, Davis 9, Trebilcock 8(?). Sturt held a 20 point lead at one stage, but the Mavs brought it back to go down by 10 at the final buzzer. Brad Bungy had a great second half to finish with 25 and 15 in only 31 minutes (though he did get a grouchy tech foul). Darren Ng finished with 23 on some great outside shooting. Forman couldn't buy a bucket in the final quarter, but ended with 21 and 15 and had some good baskets inside and out. Finkemeyer had a great game with 17 and 10. Mark Bauer got minutes in the absence of other regulars, and played very well for 13 points. Only dunk in the game (I think) was from Ben Trebilcock.

Very good all-round performance from Ben Madgen: 16 points, 6 rebounds and 8 assists.

Fifth straight loss for the Mavs after their strong start. Sixth straight win for the Sabres who may face some difficult games ahead unless players return from injury.

Bungy is the most sour-faced bastard I've ever seen in my life, but he played well last time I saw him, and was even better this time (added some outside shots). If he can avoid injury and lighten up and watch the attitude, he has to have some future in basketball, surely?

Steve Breheny talked to him after the game, so you'd think he'll do some training with the 36ERS at least.

Reply #35875 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

"Bungy is the most sour-faced bastard I've ever seen in my life," I thought Gower took that award! Atleast their sourness is productive on the court.

Reply #35903 | Report this post

Wow 25 and 15 for Bungey! That's great. His attitude does waver sometimes however.

Reply #35919 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

Yes Dr Dunkenstein, the warnings for the Sturt bench ALL game were a bit mystifying.....and what a shame the ref's couldn't share their jokes with the crowd as they were with the Sturt boys, again their proffessionalism has a lot to be desired!
And as for Bungy, Isaac, with the way he looks on court while playing.........I could say the same thing for a number of other club's players. I always thought it was how you played the game, not the way you looked playing the game. Instead of passing comments like that, how about giving the kid a bit of credit for the improvement he is showing.
By the way, I must say I was most disappointed that Tom James-Martin was on the injured list, he can more often than not be quite entertaining with his spectator/player banter during a Mavericks game.

Reply #35925 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

swish, you're classic. Did you read the finish of my post?

"he played well last time I saw him, and was even better this time (added some outside shots). If he can avoid injury and lighten up and watch the attitude, he has to have some future in basketball, surely? Steve Breheny talked to him after the game, so you'd think he'll do some training with the 36ERS at least."
The word I heard was that he could've gone to the AIS if it weren't for the attitude -- that might not be true, but what I see on court certainly makes me wonder if it's true.

I'm a fan of his game (read through my posting history if you have a few weeks).

Reply #35951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Congrats to the boys in blue who picked it up despite having three key players injured. Impressive game by tom finklemeyer, nathan vaughn and mark bauer - goes to show that even the bench can hold their own. If you have 10 or 12 players why don't teams rotate more rather then just playing the top 6 or 7?

Reply #35998 | Report this post

Straight Fringe  
Years ago

Brad Bungey is a gun. I don't think that many people can actually stop him. Over the last few weeks he has been Easterns best player. (my opinion) All he needs to do now is stay out of foul trouble. If he managed to play a full game i would hate to see what his numbers would be like. Against Norwood he played 16 minutes and had 17 rebounds and 10 points. That is crazy.

Reply #36000 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

Touche Isaac, yes I read the finish of your post and yes I do know that you are a fan of his game, that is why it irked me a bit that you even needed to mention the way he looks. I apologise if I didn't make what I was trying to say clear :)

Reply #36003 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

An attitude and any resulting technical fouls for arguing are certainly part of any player's game. I passed judgement on his demeanor rather than his appearance. I said "grouchy", not "ugly" and there's a significant difference.

Reply #36004 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

Straight Fringe... 17 boards against Nwd is a great effort, but with their offence running worse then Mark Webber at the Nurburgring, they are putting iron to leather faster then Darren Beadman at the spring carnival.

It's no secret that Brad can lose focus, self destruct and become utterly useless. If he can avoid that, it's all gravy from there.

Great game Brad and hope you keep it up.

Reply #36026 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:49 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754