Surely Now
Years ago

Surely 36ers have to sign new coach this week?

Surely THIS WEEK is the week to sign a new coach? Surely the board have been doing their homework over the last 4 months looking for the next coach? THIS WEEK is when players are gonna be looking elsewhere and sussing out their options for next season. The sooner a new coach is named, the chances of maintaining and recruiting the best players will improve significantly. NO ONE is going to renew their membership until this happens (I'd imagine) and singing new members will virtually not exist until a coach is announced.

This is probably the most important off-seasons in the clubs history. New board, new coach, recruiting must be second to none, imports must be second to none, lets get the ball rolling!

Topic #31260 | Report this topic

Dr6  
Years ago

Probably wait for the MVP awards night on Thursday?

Reply #411014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dont expect competence

Reply #411015 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Totally agree, huge off season when it comes to the coaches.
I guess it depends on who they are chasing. Might be an assistant at one of the finals teams so they won't announce it.
Maybe they are going to put off the announcement until all the season ticket holders renew and then announce it's Marty again...
Let's hope they announce something around Grand Final time when there's a bit of hype around.

Reply #411019 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Players technically cant begin talks with opposing clubs until a week after the grand final but I do agree the appointment of a new coach before then could be beneficial to begin talks and establish a relationship with our out of contract players.

Reply #411021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely they'd advertise and go through a lengthy interview and selection process first???

Unless they reappoint Marty I wouldn't expect any kind of announcement or appointment before May.

Reply #411022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Id find it hilarious if marty and radford were rwnewed. This forum would ve gold!

Reply #411026 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Why on earth does it have to be this week? The season isn't even over.

Wouldn't you want to wait as long as is necessary to get the right guy?

Reply #411028 | Report this post

Quickie  
Years ago

New coach won't be announced for about 3 more weeks.Sixers organisation always take their time.

Reply #411030 | Report this post

Never was  
Years ago

Agreed with Mick. The overwhelming sentiment on this forum is dissatisfaction with the coach. So why rush the process and risk making a poor decision.

Reply #411034 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

If they've already been engaged in the process prior to now, the decision may be sped up. Not knowing the internal workings of the club, I have no idea what that entails logistically. I'd assume they put out an "accepting all resumes" signal (including Marty's) and go from there. I assume they can do that any time over the course of a season?

A solid coaching announcement would certainly help with members that are unsure of renewing and with players looking at their 13/14 season options.

There must be a few proven NBL commodities out there looking for a gig.

I guess it comes down to $$$s again - who's paying for a new coach?

Reply #411036 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

So why rush the process and risk making a poor decision.

I think they're suggesting that it wouldn't be a rushed process, but the Sixers management should have been working behind the scenes even though they couldn't replace Marty this season... There's a good point for moving sooner rather than later, as while there are only 2 or 3 players not contracted for next season, and you're not allowed to talk to other teams FAs until a couple of weeks after the Finals have completed, having a new coach in place would give a better impression and other players might not immediately discount the Sixers and either re-sign with current teams or plan to sign with others... Getting the RIGHT coach might even make them pause from their current path and wait and see for the FA period to talk to the Sixers...

Reply #411043 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

If the board had their brains working they would be well and truly aware of who was in the mix and have started any discussions/interviews. There is no reason why we shouldn't get an announcement around the Grand Final. They've had a whole half a season to realise what would be happening at seasons end. Hopefully they get the right person and it helps keep key players

Reply #411045 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Maybe out of respect to Marty they didn't want to start the search until after the season finishes in case he finds out?
But seriously what's he going to do...quit?
Lose a game??

Reply #411047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shaun Dennis will be announced soon enough

Reply #411048 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Well if he will then I've got a pretty good explanation for Surely Now as to why no announcement has been made yet.

Reply #411049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Shawn Dennis is to be named the new coach (as rumoured) then it would make sense that it would be announced after the Wildcats season has finished.

Reply #411051 | Report this post

Surely Now  
Years ago

Ohh Mick,

The reason we should get a coach named as soon as possible is so our players don't start looking elsewhere. They probably already are after the season they have had.

If we lose our better players and wait (as you suggested) till we find the best coach, there will be no decent players left to actually coach in the first place. No one from the club has come out and suggested anything - it is all up in the air - typical 36er management of late.

As Ricey mentioned above (and in the initial post) the board has had the whole second half of the year to look at other options for next season. It shouldn't be a long process at all and I would be very surprised if an announcement wasn't made in the next week. The club is at its lowest point, it needs to have its best off-season in its history and it needs to start as early as possible.

Reply #411052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dennis will probably be applying for the Perth job pretty soon.

Reply #411054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every chance the current Head Coach of teh Wildcats won't be there next season. Why would Dennis take the risk of leaving Perth right now?

Reply #411064 | Report this post

Dazzman  
Years ago

Do we really want to go down the path of another Perth assistant coach after all the success Radford brought us?

Reply #411066 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

The club would be best served making the announcement leading into the Grand Final and getting some competent people to organise the media around the announcement. If we could pull something out our butts and also be able to announce Gibbo signing, or even Deleon with coaching announcement that would be best, but highly unlikely. That would be announced after the grand final however

Reply #411072 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Didn't someone say Marty's contract goes until end of June? Julia's term finishes in September but you don't see her walking away from her fine work. She's doing her very best at continuing what she has done during her time in the role.

I would suggest that unless Marty has packed up his whiteboard, the SOS use him to their advantage.

The question of Head Coach for Season 2013/14 is vexing and I think the Sixers need to get the process underway.

Oh to be a SOS member at this time.

Reply #411089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The SoS are responsible for the current debacle and surely a head Coach needs to be considered, appointed before all of the good free agent's are snapped up.
if June is on Marty's contract then pay him out for the remaining month or so.

Reply #411090 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

To my fellow 36er fans: calm down and stop bitching.

Reply #411099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every chance the current Head Coach of teh Wildcats won't be there next season. Why would Dennis take the risk of leaving Perth right now?

Heard a rumour out of Perth that none of the coaching staff get along well with the front office there.

I think it's almost certain Bevo is leaving otherwise he would've re-signed during the season.

Reply #411104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can't have anyone worse so who cares who gets it and when. You are already in front!

Reply #411108 | Report this post

36reasons.net  
Years ago

Best thing to do is announce Clarke won't be renewed next week (after the MVP dinner). Clarke's release will appease the fans (and from all indications help with season ticket renewals) and let current and potential incoming players know what's happening.

Reply #411119 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

And let Current outgoing players know what's happening.

Reply #411136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marvin.

Reply #411158 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:17 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754