owen
Years ago

Netball's TV deal with Fox and SBS

'Most comprehensive' broadcast deal for Netball Australia
22 March 2013 | Posted in Broadcast, Netball, Oceania

Netball Australia has secured a TV rights agreement with Fox Sports and SBS it describes as ‘the most comprehensive Australian broadcast deal in the sport’s history’.

The multi-platform deal will see all 69 games, including the finals, from Australia’s top-level ANZ Championship broadcast live by Fox Sports this year. SBS 2, meanwhile, will air the pick of the league’s Sunday matches live, as well as providing coverage of the finals on its free-to-air television network, replacing Channel 10.

Addiitonal coverage will be provided by a Foxtel Go app, while Telstra, the league’s digital rights partner, will stream ANZ Championship games played in Australia live on mobile.

The deal, which covers this year and next, also includes all international Tests played by Australia’s national team, the Australian Diamonds.

"We’re thrilled the new broadcast deal will provide Australians with the ability to watch every game of the ANZ Championship live through subscription and free-to-air platforms," said ANZ Championship general manager Andy Crook.

“The latest announcement supports our ambition of setting the benchmark for female sports leagues, not just in Australasia, but around the world as we continue to engage with our current fans and inspire a new generation,” added Crook.

Fox Sports chief executive Patrick Delany added: “It’s a historic day for netball in Australia with Fox Sports, in partnership with Foxtel, delivering fans the depth and quality of coverage they’ve always wanted”

“Never before have fans been able to watch every ANZ Championship game live until now with Fox Sports broadcasting all 69 games, plus the finals series, live and in high definition.”

SBS managing director Michael Ebeid said: “This exciting new partnership demonstrates a commitment by SBS to supporting women’s sports in Australia and helping to grow the sports which connect our diverse communities.”

In addition to the new broadcast deal in Australia, it was also announced that every game from the 2013 ANZ Championship, which begins this Sunday, will now be broadcast live via existing partner Sky Network in New Zealand.

http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/anz_championship_drives_off_with_honda/

Topic #31262 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

This happened a while ago. I wish the NBL could get the same sort of deal

Reply #411024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

& who was it not long ago suggesting that the WNBL was in the same league as netball?

Reply #411027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Picked up around 30K ratings on the weekend.

Reply #411029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

30k is less than the WNBL

The WNBL is a National Competition.

The ANZ Championships is multi national.

Reply #411031 | Report this post

Wam Soosnam  
Years ago

I wonder what the % take up of Fox is??

I don't have it, so no netball in my house anymore.

GOOD!

Reply #411032 | Report this post

Kae Jingi  
Years ago

"I wonder what the % take up of Fox is??
I don't have it, so no netball in my house anymore."

i guess you missed the part about a live game every sunday and also the finals on SBS

Reply #411039 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

and, of course no one is talking financials. Does this mean Netball are paying for the coverage, as they have reportedly done in the past?

Reply #411040 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

SBS have OnDemand too which would cover replays for a time. I think 95%+ of TV I watch is either OnDemand, iView or NBL.TV.

Reply #411050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WNBL averaged 25-30K for one game per week. Netball got that for multiple games.

Reply #411053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And for games involving Kiwi teams, no less.

NBL will probably looking for something similar once Ten/One go through their final fit of insanity and scrap all sport on One and turn it into a dedicated MASH rerun/redneck reality tv channel, which they seem intent on doing. [Seriously, that channel is a shambles, hope the new CEO can save it...]

Reply #411067 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Good on netball for this! I watched the Queensland (firebirds i think!) vs the Southern Steel and the Brisbane Convention Centre was full, despite it being live- it was great to see!!

Reply #411085 | Report this post

Cherry picker  
Years ago

The average weekly audience for wnbl on abc was about 62,000 up 8 percent on the previous year.
You know the biggest problem for basketball is me and you - the supporters. We spend too much time bagging our product instead of actually working together to ensure it gets the recognition it deserves.
It is a great sport and if we,starting with BA, could get our act together it would start to get its due recognition. Over 1,025,000 people play the game regularly - it is a great sport and we need to work on getting it the due recognition and then more 'free to air ' will follow and the quality of the games will improve as clubs get more bums on seats

Reply #411096 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Cherry Picker. You, like me to some degree, sound like an apologist for BA.

However, quoting moronic figures like 1 million people playing the game regularly on this forum will do your credibility no good here.

Quote the registered player numbers, if you can find them, not some fanciful number that represents people who looked sideways at a ball in rebel sport.

Reply #411246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Youre also quoting peak audiences not average audiences.

Reply #411251 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

Over a million people have looked sideways at basketballs in Rebel sport! Is that over the period of a week, month or year?

I never realised Rebel's customer profile mapping went to that level of detail? I thought the in store cameras were for security purpose only.

Play nice HO, and go easy on the rookies.

Reply #411252 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

chided.

Reply #411256 | Report this post

Bill Russell  
Years ago

This deal is great for Netball coverage but how about the players pockets? Pay Up!

Reply #411259 | Report this post

Bill Russell  
Years ago

ANZ Championship 2013 Salary Cap is currently $380,000 nzd

Needs to amped up to around $500.000 with that sort of tv coverage?

Reply #411261 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

That's right Bill Russell. Netball players get paid very little, so i guess it frees up a lot of cash to spend on marketing and getting TV deals (if the netball power brokers are actually paying for this coverage). Unless we know the financial deal of this coverage, we can't exactly give them too much credit, when it's known the players are very low paid.

And when you compare the NBL to the ANZ Championship, surely the NBL rates better* and there's no way SBS and FOX would be this generous to netball, right???

*would not be surprised if I'm wrong there considering basketball rates very poorly on TV, but netball would not rate much better - I don't have facts, so don't abuse me!

Reply #411280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL higher on One and ANZ higher on Ten.

Reply #411283 | Report this post

Bill Russell  
Years ago

Netball clearly sells out most games , Basketball has a broader audience . But from an amature basketball players POV , the ladies need to get there money!

The deals bloody awesome for 2seasons!

Look how much league is getting from telly?
Maybe Tom Waterhouse will be at every game?

Gamble responsibly folks!

Reply #411310 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Is Bill Russell a rookie BigAds?

Reply #411341 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

Fire at will HO

Reply #411347 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:25 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754