Isaac
Years ago

Semi Final Game 1: Wildcats vs Hawks, Mar 28

The last time the Hawks won in Perth was back in Round 10 of the 2005/6 NBL season, with the Wildcats winning 87% of their home games against Wollongong all time.
Hawks haven't won in Perth for a long time and they're hardly at full strength. But if Deleon is on his game and one or two other guys fire, anything could happen.

You can double your money if you think the Hawks can lose by less than 10.

Topic #31273 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

One of the defensive plays of the year happened at one of those Hawks visits to Perth Arena, in the first game. Ole Adris '2Hard2Guard' Deleon versus Lisch, tried everything of the dribble to get by, but he just couldn't get past Lisch. Adris refused to dish it off as the seconds of the quarter wound to an end. Had to throw an off-balance long-range no-hope three which missed. Psychological turning point of the ga,e.

That still warms my testicles to recall.

Reply #411288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5oP7B1PDwU

Reply #411289 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Didn't Flynn try something similar against Perth or NZ and got shown up twice in one possession?

Reply #411295 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bevo says that Damian Martin might be the best defensive player in the history of the NBL?

Reply #411296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cam Tovey will retire...again...at the end of the playoffs.

Reply #411297 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Statisticians everywhere just asked....."who?"

Reply #411299 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

"Bevo says that Damian Martin might be the best defensive player in the history of the NBL?"

He'd have to be in the conversation. Not a lot of players can turn games with their defence.
Darnell Mee comes to mind as another.

Reply #411300 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Mackinnon? Dwight?

Reply #411306 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

DMac would be another one

Reply #411314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Leroy Loggins

Reply #411317 | Report this post

Triton 95  
Years ago

C'MON HAWKS!

Reply #411318 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

and don;t forget Darren Lucas - used to defend Gaze like white on rice

Terry Dozier - great defender, 3 times NBL best defensive player

Phil Smyth - likewise and 4 times best defensive player

Leroy Loggins - not just a great offensive player but his length, quickness and footwork were so hard to beat

Oh, I forgot, Beveridge was only 12 when Smyth and Loggins were in their primes and winning those awards. That's the problem with GOAT claims, they make you look like one

Reply #411328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with peter john. Do your research before making claims like that.

Reply #411348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone really needs to explain to Deleon that the other guys in white out there tonight were on his team and that just once in while, passing to them may be good for the team

Reply #411361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^

He's good, but not enough to replace four teammates, was waaaay too selfish.

I know people get aggro about playing to the end but... Come on, it's a 40 minute game now, we need every last second to count! Ticket prices were obscene for a semi...

Reply #411364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is anyone suggesting saying Damian Martin "might" be the best defensive player in NBL history is wildly inaccurate? He is right up there with anyone mentioned in this thread.

Reply #411368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No he isn't.

Guys like Darnell Mee & Terry Dozier say hi

Reply #411370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes he is, Damian Martin says hi.

Reply #411377 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Anon - might be *one* of the best - I'm okay with that
might be *the best* - not quite.

Give him a few more years and playing against a wider variety of really good players. I'd also like to see the Australian selectors pick him for the Olympic team or him get an overseas contract - like the players named above (except Lucas) did. Note also those players used to defend a wider variety of imports and good Australians than today's NBL players (Olympians were all playing NBL then). The players referred to above used to play against 10-15 other NBL teams each season (not 7) and had to take on players like Green, Gaze, Loggins, Rose, Grace, Davis, Crawford the really good imports who played in those days. i.e., they had to defend the players who are always mentioned in the top 3 NBL players of all time conversations. The ones with all the NBL scoring and rebounding records - those guys.

Martin is unfortunate to be playing when there are fewer teams and players with less variety of offensive looks; most of the best Australian players play overseas in their primes; and there are fewer top shelf imports (see "fewer teams" reference above).

Reply #411390 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

It's hard to compare eras, and he can only defend whoever is in the league at the time. Who is to say he couldn't defend some of those better guards from years gone by? Considering the top 4 MVP vote getters from this season were guards, I think that means he is playing against some decent opponents.

But I agree, a bold statement could have been delivered better by saying "one of the best" instead.

Reply #411394 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

It was late in the evening when there came NBL Finals on channel 12 ' 10.30pm - 2.30am ' . Not sure what happened after midnite .
' How did Bevo interview for Boomers ? ' Gaze was asked . Seems Goorjian and Lemanis also interviewed .

Reply #411413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The players referred to above used to play against 10-15 other NBL teams each season
-----------------------------

Meaning they probably had an easier job defender lesser teams, or teams with stars but not a lot of other talent so teammates can help out. I am happy with 'might be the best', that infers he is 'one of the best'. Pretty much the same thing.

We have never had players above the level Jackson, Mills, Ervin and many of the recent group are at so Martin must be in the mix for best ever with the other greats from along the line.

Even though Smyth for example played when the league was weaker he still deserves to be in that mix, you can only defend who is on the court with you!

Reply #411419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

10 900 last night, the second lowest crowd for the year and people on here saying playing on easter is a good thing. It was empty in there last night,no finals atmosphere at all, last weeks game was the best so far.

Nbl got to change so we do not have to go to a game on easter long weekend

Reply #411439 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

^ 10,900 and 8300 in NZ. Those are exceptional crowds for the NBL so I'm not sure your point is being achieved. I do agree that Easter was not a good time to play finals, however the crowds from both games were very good and I don't think were too badly affected by Easter.

As for atmosphere, I was there and the atmosphere was one of the best all season, even if there were few more empty seats. For a blow out win (yet again) the noise was very loud and I thought the crowd was right into it all game.

Reply #411467 | Report this post

tim  
Years ago

I agree with anon, the breakers game was by far the best crowd and atmosphere all season, however last nights final still had a good atmosphere.

Reply #411477 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

Yes if your comparing the quality of the opposition, then the game against NZ was better. Obviously we have a strong rivalry with them right now, along with the fact that the Breakers are the best team in the league. So in that regard, there was massive interest in that game which is why it was sold out, and one that I'm sure most fans would have wanted to see a good high standard game, which it was.

But I disagree with the comment about last nights game being empty, no atmosphere, and blaming Easter for the low attendance. It certainly wasn't empty, every team would love a crowd of nearly 11,000, and the atmosphere was one of the best that I've seen anyway.

Reply #411486 | Report this post

Wildcats  
Years ago

U can see it on t.v aswell, that game should of been a sell out. It is semi final time and i understand it is a big crowd but u would think they would of sold out a semi.

Reply #411493 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Why should that game "of" been a sellout?
- Heaps of people had other plans for Easter (clear evidence being the bumper-to-bumper freeways heading out of town as I drove to the game)
- Not much advanced notice or promotion time for this game
- Cats have had a huge run of home games lately, so there was also a home game fatigue factor
- No one knowledgeable was excited by the prospect of playing an understrength Hawks team
- Ticket prices were jacked up
- With the Cats being likely GF participants, plenty of people were happy to save their money for that series

For those reasons and more, plus the fact that semi final games are historically poor sellers, I was actually pretty impressed that so many came along.
Anyone complaining about an NBL game attracting "only" 10,900 needs a freakin' reality check IMO.

Reply #411499 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Yeah, but it was empty in there.

Reply #411504 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

How so?

Reply #411509 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He's taking the piss.

Reply #411516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Echo in his head.

Reply #411522 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Iv'e been watching the NBL since before it was the NBl and I've not seen a better defender than Martin. Maybe a few as good but none better.

Reply #411541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You tell 'em fstos!

Reply #411547 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:25 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754