Kookie Krumbs
Years ago

By-Laws for winter .. help

I've been through the by-laws for a player changing teams in the junior division .. I know a player cannot switch from one div 3 team to another div 3 team .. My question is .. Is there a clause, a null and void, anything that can be done for a player to switch to the other div 3 team they were originally suppose to play in until a coach from the (lower) div 3 team approached this player, coaxing them over to their team ? I know I'm probably clutching at straws but I thought some of you more experienced people of basketball out there might be able to help me with information.

Thanks in advance.

Topic #31281 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nope. The Club's COaching DIrector should not have let this kind of thing happen in the first place!

Reply #411461 | Report this post

Kookie Krumbs  
Years ago

Yeah, it was all handled in a way I can't say on here as I may get banned.
Looks like the player might have to have a season off then maybe ..

Reply #411465 | Report this post

Years ago

of course they can switch between div 3 teams.

but you cant go laterally in one week in one div - you can play D2 or 4 and then move up or down the next week.

there is some flexibility

Reply #411468 | Report this post

Years ago

what the bylaw is about is clubs with 2 teams in one stacking the team with the hardest game that week and switching back the next week.

dont worry if a club was doing it BSA would be onto it if tipped - unless playing under wrong names.

still have to play 40% of season for whatever team if you want to play finals.

otherwise - how can teams cover injury / illness / form changes etc etc

Reply #411469 | Report this post

Years ago

your problem sounds like some monkey business at the club.

Reply #411470 | Report this post

Kookie Krumbs  
Years ago

I understand they can move up or down but you can't move to a team of the same division .. That's my understanding anyway ..

Reply #411471 | Report this post

Years ago

1st D3 team should be the best first 8-9 players available to the coach for their respective positions and then 2nd team should be the next best - if players parents dont like it - i am sure another club is down the road.

Reply #411472 | Report this post

Kookie Krumbs  
Years ago

Transfer Between Teams in Same Division
a) During the Winter Season a player cannot play for multiple teams in the same division in the same season.

This is in the by-law rule thingo .. Sorry but I'm a basketball virgin when it comes to all this .. the above is what I'm querying ..

Reply #411473 | Report this post

Years ago

of course they can move you can go from 3.1 team to div 2 or 4 one week then back to 3.2 team the next week.

if not how can an age group cover injuries or form - i.e. a 3.2 5 player may start off in march with ok form - work their butt off at training and by june get a spot on the bench in D2 as one player is injured - doesnt get much time on the bench and moves back to 3.1 team as a starter to get some minutes.

I know - I've been doing this for years and had it triple checked whenever with hierarchies.

Reply #411474 | Report this post

Years ago

that is meant to be interpreted as "you cant change teams from week to week in the same div "

your scenario is perfectly justifiable.

it's the same with transfers during the season - to stop players jumping ship from a dud team and then that team forfeits and the draw is a mess - but you can get a transfer in mitigating circumstances mid season.

Reply #411476 | Report this post

Kookie Krumbs  
Years ago

Hmm .. Asking around our club, no one seems to think this player can move back to the original team he was down for .. Would I ring bball sa maybe to query this? I'm just annoyed at what the coach from the 2nd team has done ... when he deserves to be in the "higher" team

Reply #411478 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"Transfer Between Teams in Same Division
a) During the Winter Season a player cannot play for multiple teams in the same division in the same season."

As you posted, Kookie Krumbs, the enforcement of this by-law is pretty black-and-white. What the anon has been posting is incorrect and your club would not take this approach.

In scenario of inordinate injuries and/or extreme circumstances, clubs can seek an exception from BSA regarding player transfer between teams in the same division, but I doubt BSA would oblige given the circumstances of this case.

Reply #411479 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Making an internal complaint with your coaching director might be your best bet at this point.

Reply #411480 | Report this post

Years ago

playmaker mo - your last paragraph allows for this scenario.

i can tell you now it is fine what i posted and if you dont like it tough - but that is the direction we have put in by bsa when liaising with them - so to stay my info is a bum steer is totally false.

it is just to stop team stacking and result influencing changes - not to disallow muck ups like this or injuries and form improvements or drops.

Reply #411481 | Report this post

Years ago

bsa will send you to coaching director of your club first - this is not a bsa problem

Reply #411482 | Report this post

Kookie Krumbs  
Years ago

So, having a coach from the lower div 3 team approach us about playing in her team instead of the one they were down for is wrong, right? And may be grounds for an appeal or whatnot .. but it's up to our coaching director? So it's up to the club?

Reply #411484 | Report this post

Years ago

coaches pick the teams

age group co-ordinator oversees team selection but coaches should meet and discuss then rank players by positions within squad.

usually JDO has final say after close consultation with age group co-ord (div 1 coach)

team lists are usually nothing more than a starting point.

whether right or wrong what the coach did it is a club problem.

sometimes a starter spot in lower team can better serve than a benchie in a higher team - depends what everyone wants from it.

it can get just as competitive amongst coaches than players

Reply #411485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good to see the great harmony at your club...

Reply #411533 | Report this post

Kookie Krumbs  
Years ago

Thank you to those who gave constructive advice!

Reply #411540 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Please post the result of your inquiry; particularly if you suggest anon's idea to your club as a possible approach.

Reply #411549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Agreed so what happened?

Reply #412689 | Report this post

Kookie Krumbs  
Years ago

**Update

I rang Basketball SA and was told the only way for a player to switch from one team to another in the same division (in the winter season) is to get the club secretary to apply for an exemption with a valid reason.

I thought I had valid reasons for this and went to the coach of the team the player should have been in and we organised an exemption and it got approved today! He played tonight with the team he was originally down for.

It pays to check out every avenue and make enquiries ..

Reply #413405 | Report this post

Kookie Krumbs  
Years ago

Also, I did find out the committee would not have approved of such a move if they had been approached by the coach who had coaxed this player over ..

Reply #413407 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:06 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754