Tyrell
Years ago

Mike Rice- Sacked from Rutgers U

If you wanta dossier how not to react when players frustrate you during games, watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbaYqcMMZ6A

Rutgers fired basketball coach Mike Rice on Wednesday after a videotape aired showing him shoving, grabbing and throwing balls at players and using gay slurs during practice.

Definitely shocking viewing and I truly hope that no players are subjected to this.

Topic #31326 | Report this topic

Tyrell  
Years ago

This is his apology/I have improved.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9128825/rutgers-scarlet-knights-fire-coach-mike-rice-wake-video-scandal

Reply #412316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even Marty or Radford would be better!

Reply #412317 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

The fact that Mike Rice was THAT overtly abusive towards his players, officials etc but concealed much of it to his employers shows that he was fully conscious of the decisions he was making. As he said: "there is no excuse". Further to that: there never will be.

What a disgrace.

Reply #412318 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

yeah that is not good....remember he was not the only one involved,people up higher new this was going on.

Reply #412319 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

He was given a 3 game ban initially which is pretty poor really, should have been gone once the behaviour was known to officials.

Reply #412321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You guys are crazy.... how are players supposed to push through the barriers blocking them from going to the next level without a coach that will get blood from a stone.

I think they are lucky to have worked with a coach that cared enough to lose it at them.

I have played for and witnessed coaches that have punched players myself included multiple times at halftime only to have the players come out and have huge second halves! Would have never managed to make the div 5 rep side I played for in U14s without that kind of help.

We need to stop raising such softies.

Reply #412335 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Softies? Coming from someone who doesn't even have the courage to post using their own name!!! Anyway, anonymous, there is a clear difference between a well-intentioned hard-nosed coach and someone who has no self control/is abusing players. Mike Rice unfortunately showed no self-control and was physically assaulting these players. There is no way any sane person can condone this behaviour.

Reply #412339 | Report this post

Jmac  
Years ago

Two words : Mike Krzyzewski

Reply #412340 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Tyrell, I don't think anon was being serious.

Reply #412342 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Yeah, good one anon, you obviously had high aspirations in making that Div 5 Rep side didn't you...?

No room in any sport for that kind of shyte!

Reply #412347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

trolling for sure...

I agree coach k is a great example of a passionate coach who gets the most out his players.

for my self I coach and occasionally lose it with my players a bit... I saw the mark rice video and was disgusted... im surprised it didn't come out sooner

Reply #412348 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

I'm surprised one of his players didn't knock him the &uck out! The kids prob figured if they said anything or acted out they would lose their scholarship.

Reply #412390 | Report this post

mb34st  
Years ago

Paul STanley (ex Melbourne Tigers & Tassie Devils import) told me he played for Mike's father back in the day (Mike was in high school) and he's not surprised at all by his behaviour ...

Reply #412394 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Could the guy actually coach, what was his record like? Maybe he was just no good, gets frustrated because of a lack of communications skills, struggles to get the message across and has a short fuse!

Not a great combination for a coach IMO...

Regardless, you can't man handle and push kids around like that and hope to gain any respect whatsoever.

Reply #412402 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Same stuff happens here and doesn't get dealt with, why, because it's too much of a blemish on a club once it comes out, so they hope it just goes away or isn't talked about...

Reply #412407 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

44-51 record.

Reply #412425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ricey, any stories from your sturt days?? I assume you are not referring to Woodville....

Reply #412434 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Record is irrelevant, surely!

Reply #412436 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Couple about a certain Sturt coach. Not going to get myself in shit for naming others on here for other problems that Sturt and other clubs, and BSA as a whole have allowed (and still do)

Reply #412443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not hard to work out who you are on about though Ricey.

Reply #412444 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Is it though. Is it...

Reply #412445 | Report this post

JOaRiDrAN  
Years ago

My thought exactly when I watched this story. I would knock him out, scholarship or no scholarship he is out of line and needs a crack in the mouth. At the very least peg the ball back at him occasionly ;).I'm sure other schools would respect you for it ( cause the coach is way out of line ) that you stand up for yourself when you have been mis treated.
This coach is mental, on the video screened on espn, a kid makes a sweet spin move to the basket and scores then still gets the ball thrown at him.

Also one of the kids said " you can't judge the coach from espn highlights, none of us were scared of him" so maybe they all accepted him for what he is.

A total dick.

Reply #412446 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Saw that nice spin move too, was thinking WTF is coach going off for? Wonder if he will ever get another coaching gig again?
The whole team should have each grabbed a ball and piffed it back at coach(like in dodgeball), now that would have been funny!

Reply #412452 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:49 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754