Funny What's Hot/What's Not
This week is for the haters:
- North Adelaide upsetting Woodville for a come from behind win 100 to 99. The game was 80 to 70 Woodville winning at the last break, before a Burdon 3 with 1:45 left had the game at 95 to 98. Hawkes knocked down some FTs for 97 to 98 before Elder went 1 of 2 for 97 to 99. An old man Cheapshot 3 got the score at 99 to 100 with 19 seconds to go. Controversy occurred as the ball found its way to Paul Rees who apparently had the ball stripped from from him by Nick Hambour to allow Burdon to dribble out the win. After the game Paul Rees was heard to say to the refs "Who was to say I wouldn't make the free throws?" Some fire in that big body. Good to see.
- Meanwhile the upsets continue with the Tigers over the Panthers and Wests over the Elitist Eagles.
- Speaking of upsets, at least 6 women teams managed to score over 29 points this weekend. High scoring round!
- Deanne Ranford 22 points on 7/17 shooting.
- Losselips statline: 19 points, 7 rebounds, 10 assists but on 7/21 shooting? Most makes came in the fourth, was a big reason why they were in such a whole in the first place. Loveday needs to do something about North's slow starts.
- The two Woodville girls starting the defence chant.
- Justin "what loyalty?" Wilkey 25 points at 8/13 FG with 6 assits and 6 rebounds. Luckily Centrals probably won't make the finals this year so Justin won't choke coming into the fourth quarter of a knock-out final.
- Grahem Kennedy. R.I.P. Put your mind at rest EC, I poured a little Johnny Black for my man GK on the weekend.
- That punk bitch Mike Cheapshot Mckay. 17 points, 11 rebounds and 7 assists.
- Andrew Webber 9 assists. Kid is coming up.
- Brad Gerlach. 18 points, 8 rebounds and 6 assists in a Southern win.
- Josh Wood 23 points on 9/16 shooting.
- Michael Zorich 17 points on 6/9 shooting with 2/2 from the arc including an awesome 3 points play where Zorich finished a step-back on a fast break from ten feet off an Woodville bump in the second to spark a North Adelaide run.
- Steve Carfino radio ads.
- Blake Truslove 30 points and 14 rebounds on 12/20 shooting in West win over Eagles. Ben Evens also had 20 on 8/20 and Daniel Phillips continued his good season with 18 points on 7/16 shooting.
- Matthew Sutton with 18 points, 8 rebounds and 5 assists on 7/14 shooting.
- North Adelaide pounding Mapunda all night long. Cheapshot lived up to his name and left him lying on the ground in the first, and in the third both Hawkes and Zorich slammed Mapunda on a fast-break. Looselips was also heard to trash talk Mapunda. A bit of feeling between old team-mates? Luke played well in any case, with 15 points on 6/10 shooting and a nice block to stop a three point play which wasn't credited.
- Melissa Marsh hitting 27 points on 12/24 shooting with 8 rebounds 6 assits. Enough stats to fill up an entire women's box score.
- The bald guy going off at the North players on the side-line so loud I thought his head was about to explode! "No cutters. NO cutters! NNOOO CCCUUTTEEERRSSS!!!!!!!"
- Nick Hambour 20 points 7 rebounds on 9/18 shooting.
- Dallas Quiqley with 11 points at 3/5 in 20 mins. Man deserves more time on the wood.
- Cameron Wilson 14 points and 11 assists.
- Norwood's offence. 77 points with Keith Krause with 14 points on 5/13 as the only player in double figures. I questioned Rupert's ability to get his players to score in a brothel let alone a basketball court at the moment.
- Jason Baylis going 1/5 from the free throw line. Most likely taking tips from Adam Blight who went 4/10.
- Some punks who miss lay-ups this weekend: Nick Hambour who got blocked by the rim on a 4 foot shot, Michael Zorich, Paul Rees after two pump-fakes missed a two footer power-up and Simon "no game" Kent who also missed two FTs which struggled to make ten feet.
- I'm not one to criticise calls (or give "Punda" props) but Luke Mapunda made awesome position and grabbed a clean rebound only to be called for a foul after his arm was held by a North player. Pretty soft call, and if I heard right KB was "f-ing angry".
- Channel Nine's worm. You telling me she didn't notice that her bag was a little heavier and a whole lot more awkward? I'm all for the legalising of dope but she knew what she was doing and is nothing but a pusher. Hopefully I won't have to see her ugly arse face on television no more.
- The haters
- Adrian "I swear on my mothers grave ticket sales were higher last year." Bongobrain from Jaba. Not much positive I can say about the front office on here when there isn't positive news being sent out. Oh yeah no graded seating sucks. You got a problem with me saying that? Well sue me! I dare you!
- Emo "music".
Jay Leno look-a-like of the week:
- Ok I admit you have to be on the right angle but for my money David Curtis who coaches Forestville 14Boys 3 is pound for pound the best Leno look-a-like in SA ball. Congrats Dave!
Pimp of the week:
- Gray Birmingham. 22 points and 3 assists on 8/16 shooting including an amazing play on a fast-break. Running out of control against three North defenders Birmingham spun 180 degree running parallel to the basket and threw the ball over his right shoulder for an amazing team lifting basket. Gary is the pimp of the week as this player has some moves!
Flop of the week:
- Matt Elder. Sure the bloke had 18 points with 17 rebounds (6 offensive) 2 block shots on 8/14 shooting but he choked on that last free throw which could have at least made the game go into overtime. Seeming he's had a nice little article written on him by the soft man of ABL journalism Boti Nagy its time he was put under the harsh DC spotlight. Matt Elder in the hall of fame as the ABL flop of the week.
Hyjak lyric of the week
- "Mic snatching off Guy Sebastion, using his head as a toilet brush."