agrid
Years ago

Stats questions about blocks, assists, etc

Just a bleeding obvious question about recording stats.

Is it recorded a block if the defender gets a hand on the ball and deflects it to one of his team mates grabs it?

If a player dishes to his teammate on the three point line and he hesitates before hitting the three does it count as an assist?

If a big man tips a defensive rebound with control to a teammate does he get the rebound stat?

If you grab an offensive rebound and get molested on the stick-back, miss the shot and go the the free throw line. Does it count as an missed attempt?

Topic #31358 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I'll probably get mauled by anons, but I would say:

"Is it recorded a block if the defender gets a hand on the ball and deflects it to one of his team mates grabs it?"
A block is off a shot. A steal is not. Could be designated a steal if a shot is not made, but the steal goes to the team mate as this is the first possession.

"If a player dishes to his teammate on the three point line and he hesitates before hitting the three does it count as an assist?"
Yes. The shot is the next action. If the hesitation is longer than say 3 secs, then no.

"If a big man tips a defensive rebound with control to a teammate does he get the rebound stat?"
No. A tip is not a clean possession. The team mate gets the rebound as it is a clean possession.

"If you grab an offensive rebound and get molested on the stick-back, miss the shot and go the the free throw line. Does it count as an missed attempt?"
No. If a player is fouled going for any shot, the missed attempt is not counted.

Reply #412896 | Report this post

Knowitall nawt  
Years ago

1. If D gets hand to ball on/after shot (before goal tending) causes player to travel and blocks shot without committing foul record block regardless of where ball goes.

2. In basketball, an assist is attributed to a player who passes the ball to a teammate in a way that leads to a score by field goal, meaning that he or she was "assisting" in the basket. There is some judgment involved in deciding whether a passer should be credited with an assist. An assist can be scored for the passer even if the player who receives the pass makes a basket after dribbling the ball. However, the original definition of an assist did not include such situations,[1] so the comparison of assist statistics across eras is a complex matter.
as per wiki lol [1] relates to inflation of assists interesting thread on http://forum.sportal.com.au/viewthread.aspx?t=44912

3. Yes he should he won the rebound without possession (good luck capturing that hard stat to record)

4.No idea someone else got this one? I wouldn't record it as a miss as I think you would be recording the foul?

Reply #412897 | Report this post

supercoach  
Years ago

also my stupid stat questions
- if you go up land the ball gets hit back down to you, counts as a block does it also count as a rebound as well
- if you go up for a shot get hit and sent to the foul line does it count as a missed shot

Reply #412898 | Report this post

Wondering Coach  
Years ago

If you get fouled taking a shot, IT DOES NOT count as a Field Goal attempt.

However, if the shot goes in, then it does count as a MAKE and an ATTEMPT.

And if they counted the 'tip rebound' stat, Tyson Chandler from the Knicks would be, I dare say, the leading OFFENSIVE rebounder ever, hahahaha

Reply #412909 | Report this post

Devo  
Years ago

Stats caller would offer the following to those recording:

1. Shot X, Block Y, Defensive rebound Z.
2. Assuming he is beyond the 3 point line and not on
it - 3 Point Shot X - Made - Assist Y
Bit of a judgement call here and assuming his
first intent was to shoot.
3. Judgement call in a fast moving game. Split second
decision. If very clearly deliberately tappped to
a team mate he would be credited with a Defensive
rebound. If not clear his team mate gets the stat.
4. Shot X, Offensive rebound Y, Foul Z, Foul Received
Y.

Reply #412933 | Report this post

Joker  
Years ago

Is it an assist if a player passes to another who is fouled causing the shot to miss, but then makes the free throws?

Reply #412976 | Report this post

Devo  
Years ago

Is it an assist if a player passes to another who is fouled causing the shot to miss, but then makes the free throws?

Yes. If he wasn't fouled and scored it would have been an assist.

Reply #413015 | Report this post

Knowitall nawt  
Years ago

Assist leading to foul.

Reply #413099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Look here for answers to your questions:

http://www.fiba.com/asp_includes/download.asp?file_id=554

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&ved=0CE8QFjAF&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fiba.com%2Fpages%2Fmod%2Fv3%2Futil%2FdownMana.asp%3FfileID%3D2173&ei=eOdkUZXjCcyQkwWQloDwBg&usg=AFQjCNH3dkdQwf2Vc_-gTx8LdYX51V0e0Q

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Resources/Stats/M+Basketball/StatsManuals.html

http://www.fibaeurope.com/cid_CLnADd0fJ4MZ8xgmecgDF0.html

Note that the interpretations change depending on the counrty, and of course the experience of the statistician.

Reply #413163 | Report this post

Pugsley  
Years ago

@Joker - Only in Australia

Assists are one of those grey areas and it falls a lot on the judgement of the person calling the game. You can essentially base it on whether the first action from the pass was results in the basket being made

For instance, a player could receive the pass in the key, spin move around the defender, shot fake then make the bucket. This wouldn't be an assist as the offensive player would've been judged to be creating his own shot

At the other end of the scale, a defensive player could rebound the ball, outlet to a running player who runs the length of the court for the fast break layup and he'd still be awarded the assist as the running player's first instinct was to go to the basket

As mentioned above, this is all open to some level of interpretation from the caller

Reply #413186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thank you. That NCAA document was very comprehensive. I think our statisticians miss a lot. NCAA note that a big man tipping to a team mate should be awarded the rebound. Also a defender getting a finger to the ball and causing a miss is not always awarded the block.

Reply #413195 | Report this post

Pugsley  
Years ago

I'm not saying that statisticians don't miss things, we will and do, we're only human. To say we miss a lot is a big call, and unwarranted, unless you can back it up

Tipping a rebound IS awarded to the person tipping is, as long as it clearly defined that's what he was trying to achieve. Should a rebound be awarded to someone whose fingers it clipped on the way through to someone else, just because he happened to be there and couldn't quite reach it?

As for blocks, can you determine from whatever vantage point you have in a stadium whether someone got a finger tip to the shot and caused a slight deflection?

Would love for you to actually sit in on a stats bench to actually see how everything is done and how the game is called before trying to pass judgement

-International/NBL/WNBL/ABL statistician

Reply #413511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chill Pugsley, I was talking about SBL stats where a number of clear ball deflections were not recorded as blocks. And yes I have done the stats many time for domestic comps.

Reply #413528 | Report this post

Pugsley  
Years ago

All good, wasn't intending to offend. If you've sat on a stats bench before I gather you know exactly what I'm talking about

Reply #413545 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:37 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754