Jack Toft
Years ago

R3 ABL

Sunday Funday rounds are always great. The smell of the sausage sizzle after junior training wafting into the stadiums, the juniors filling the stands, and a good excuse not to mow the lawn or put something from Ikea together. Am I the only one that plays the MacGyver theme song when they are putting Ikea together?

South-Eagles @ The Shed
Women: If playing Sturt the night before was bad enough, playing Forestville the next day is the doomsday double of the ABL. Sturt baked them up a treat the night before, Forestville will put a little something in their chai latte today. Forestville with the rest have the fresh legs to outrun the Panthers.
Men: This could be an interesting game. No reason for Forestville not to win and this could be a dot com disaster for the Panthers if they have a lapse in intensity. Forestville should be as comfortable as pensioner's cat and get the W.

Lions-Tigers @ The Northern Savannah
Women: KB takes the reigns this afternoon and I can imagine him wanting to make this one a goodie. He’s a pretty cool cat and in this battle of the young cats, the Lions should take this one out over the youngest team on the pine.
Men: The Tigers have an early scalp in Norwood and with Rashad at the helm should test a lot of teams this year. The Lions had a rest on Saturday night and that might be enough to say that it’ll be "Miller Time" this afternoon as the Lions wrestle the Safari Cup off the Tigers.

Rockets-Sabres @ The Launching Pad
Women: Sturt have a tough opponent this arvo. Big Bad Barry’s girls won’t be easy. The Sturt way is all about defence, but Barry’s girls know what the goals looks like and are comfortable finding them on their home court. Is there still a possum in the rafters? Rockettes.
Men: Ah, the Sabres finally get to take their Sunday car for a spin but just watch out for the dust in the carpark. The Sabres don’t like the bottom half of the table but they better get used to it when Pero’s boys make it 2/2 from their weekend’s effort.

West-Mavs @ The Port
Women: Mavs will be “fresh” from their game against the rampaging Flames, Westies will be a lot fresher after the run down the southern expressway. I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And then try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party. The Mavs like playing in the western suburbs, but might need to find that person with the vodka because the Westies girls can’t keep throwing bricks.
Men: This could be messy. Venturing into the land of the Giants was tough for Jack, but it’ll be even tougher for the Mavs this afternoon. I’m sure they won’t find many BFGs at the Port. West looking strong this year and should send the banjo players back to the hills wondering what hit them.

Topic #31384 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Results??

Reply #413767 | Report this post

Freddy  
Years ago

Tess drops a lazy 47 and 12 on West to get the women over the line.

Reply #413768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does that help the Mavs in the long run, if she decided to play overseas, the Mavs will be stuffed, better off going in the direction the tigers and Centrals have and rebuild with youth and let them play

Reply #413771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People going to reasses their predictions on the women, south haven't won a game!!

Reply #413802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South have the best coaching, the girls will make finals this year.

Reply #413804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't think that anyone would have picked them to win any of the 3 games they have played to date. North, Sturt and Forestville, that's a tough draw to start with for most teams to begin the season. This is only their second season of rebuilding, but there are no surprises that the judgements have already begun and no doubt continue.

Reply #413806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I do agree the girls have an outstanding coach but they will struggle to push for finals this season. I wish them all the best. From what I saw today, in comparing the 2 teams talent wise, I was extremely impressed.

Reply #413807 | Report this post

TC  
Years ago

After seeing Southern Women Saturday Night I thought they had the Wooden Spoon wrapped up, so how bad are Centrals.

Outside of Danelle and Stana going on previous year the remainder of the Southern Team would not get a game at most clubs and the few that would would be taking up spots 9-12.

So I notice Danelle had a big game so was it Southern playing out there skin or are Centrals that bad?

I think the effort Southern Men put in late against West may have hurt them backing up on Sunday. Still think if they keep on improving 5th spot is not beyond them. Difference appeared to be one had a import that did something and the other had a import that recorded a Donut.

Reply #413813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South have 3 young women coming home from college soon so that should help their cause.

Reply #413815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doubt it, playing or sitting on the bench in America means squat

Reply #413826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You really have no idea, the intensity of training and games far outweighs what us played here, these girls will be an asset .

Reply #413827 | Report this post

Wam Soosnam  
Years ago

And Souths college players are going back before the finals so that's just false economy isn't it? Hard to see the point both for long term development and for this season as well.

I would also say 47 points by Tess Madgen is unbelievable. I wish I could have seen it.

Reply #413828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After seeing the imports on the weekend going to college isn't all that its cranked up to be! Playing against nbl players would be better for your development

Reply #413829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South is giving opportunities to young girls that wouldn't otherwise be playing in this league. And there ain't a lot of juniors to choose from down that way.

Reply #413831 | Report this post

hooked  
Years ago

First ABA game, as my daughter was floor wiping...
Tess madgen was on fire... whole Mavs team shot the lights out!
As a westies supporter it was a brilliant game to watch.. and no idea madgen had scored that many until i checked the box score, she went about it quietly but consistantly!

Reply #413837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shows how good a defensive job Norwood did on Madgen the night before.

Reply #413841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

norwood will be unbeaten this year, awesome unit

Reply #413842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood front runners in the women
West front runners in the men
south women & men will put up a good fight but won't be in the hunt

Reply #413848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

will the coach at south resign if they get beaten this weekend?

Reply #413999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a stupid question 999.

Reply #414090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

999 your a clueless twat

Reply #414100 | Report this post

WTF  
Years ago

Step up anon 999. Put your name to it, I bet you won't. Probs some coach who didn't get the job they wanted...

Reply #414126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a nobody, just some wanker who enjoys yanking the chain.

Reply #414135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And I bet the last 4 posters are Chasbots from south!!

Reply #414136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is 999 talking about the mens or womens program at South, totally confused!!!!

Reply #414184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

womens program, this so called super coach has done nothing at south

Reply #414186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Give her time the program needs rebuilding and financially they may not be able to buy players like Stuart fville and Norwood. It all takes time.

Reply #414189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

people want to get on here and have a crack at other clubs, so thought might as well have a go at south this week

Reply #414190 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt and Norwood dont pay their players, they go there for the "Coaching":p

Reply #414192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I disagree with she hasn't done anything. First season 1 win out of finals after a few previous years of nothing but a whole lot of rubbish. Have a look at he players that left and the attitudes that are now, for the best, gone!! As someone else mentioned, this is only her 2nd season with such an inexperienced group. Who ever you are bagging on South, you have no idea, because from what I see she is doing an exceptional job with the cattle she has. It's going to take a few more years for the men and women to be contenders. Get a life people!!

Reply #414262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about we put a Tess Madgen, Jess Foley, Mia Newly or Olivia Thompson, Amy Lewis, I could go on, into the South Roster. One really good quality player in that group and I think they would be finals contenders. It's just finding that one or 2 great players! I think it's only a matter of time.

Reply #414263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She's a great coach, and really knows what she's talking about. But I agree, it's going to take another few years to see any real success.
Maybe people should focus on their own clubs and stop rubbishing others that they know nothing about.

Reply #414269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt and Norwood don't pay players!! That is too funny.

Reply #414270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Previous coach stuffed up the programme completely. I don't envy Vicky at all.

Reply #414272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like the same things that were being said about Woodville over the past couple years.
Now they have an import..... and they still havent won a game!!

Reply #414285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Once again, no idea!! Get a life.

Reply #414287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's available to some teams are not available to others.

Reply #414290 | Report this post

Wam Soosnam  
Years ago

Whats not available?

Money is certainly no issue at South or woodville.

6K IS NOT MUCH FOR ANY CLUB

Reply #414295 | Report this post

past player  
Years ago

bahahahah vicky a good coach. Are you kidding me.

Go speak to the players that have have left other clubs because she promised them court time and now are regretting their decision because she is full of crap and couldn't coach herself out of a paper bag.

There is a reason why she lost most of the players after her first season. If these current player think she is a good coach then they must have had some very shit coaches in the past.

and vicky if your trying to blame the past coach for what you have now then shame on you. At least he was honest and up front with us unlike our first season with you.

Reply #414298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe you weren't what the club was looking for, have you thought about from that angle. Maybe it wasn't Vicki it was you. Not everyone is the right fit, it takes a season or two to work that out, not saying you not a good player just not the right player. Just saying.

Reply #414306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't worry she will get saved by her Div 2 college players!!!

Reply #414315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice deflection from Southern to South, why would someone call for Southern coaches head at this point? Heck they beat Centrals they have a win on the board its better than predicted by some.

Reply #414322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how does southern get bought up in this?

Reply #414364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

south women need a more mainstream coach to win family and players

Reply #414390 | Report this post

Fleagle  
Years ago

By mainstream you mean...........?

If you mean what I think you are saying I will leave that well alone, all yours 390

Reply #414405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Past player. Haha, you are clearly someone who didn't get what you wanted and expected. I know for a fact that Vicki doesn't promise anything to anyone. She is a tough coach with expectations of her players.
People like you clearly didn't deserve what you thought was yours. From another past player!!

Reply #414406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Expectations of players, especially young players these days is rediculous. The parent are just as bad. Thinking their son or daughter deserves the world. I see it every year and I don't envy some of these coaches as it must be a nightmare to deal with certain situations.

Reply #414412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Previous coach for South honest?? Wow, this conversation is becoming a joke.

Reply #414415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If its not South coach it's Southern. If its not Southern it's Central, if it's not Centrals it may be Forestville. There is always someone who want to bring someone else down. You people disgust me. Especially when you have no idea of the situation or you just think you can because you didn't get what you assumed was rightfully yours. Pathetic!

Reply #414420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kelson. Hell of a person, very very good coach.

Reply #414432 | Report this post

Advice  
Years ago

There's a class of people that choose to come to a forum anonymously and post about people that are generally more successful, more competent because they are jealous. It's really sad to be honest, I feel sorry for them.

They or their family generally have failed in the game at some level and therefore they feel disfranchised, anger and bitter. What they don't realise is we all fail at some point. It’s how we deal with that failure is what defines. Some people just struggle with it.

There are a quite a few incompetent people that post statements and lies here with little understanding, with poor people skills and cannot deal with confrontation in the real world. Their only outlet to express themselves is through a form, anonymously and attack people publicly because they don't have the skills deal with the issues face to face.

It's just a game. If you fail at something learn, handle it with class and grace, don't blame others, don't concoct lies and untruths in your head to compensate for your shortcomings, just get on with it.

Reply #414443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Strongly agree with the above. Well said.

Reply #414445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not all college girls are div 2, and the ranking is not based on the quality of the program but on the school ranking which takes into consideration other sports played at the college.

Reply #414448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who are the girls coming back from college?

Reply #414449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Other Nagy sister is the only one I know

Reply #414472 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Alex Ciabattoni and Tayla Corrigan. Good luck South this weekend. South had a very hard draw to start the season having to play North then a double header of Sturt and Eagles. I think you will see a different result this week.

Reply #414498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That is a very tough draw. I think that would be 3 of the top 4 teams this season. I hope they can have a win this weekend.

Reply #414500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sporting pulse still has corrigan under forestville

she wont light this competition up, struggled in under 23's

and if south is 0-6 when ciabbotini gets back she wont play!!

Reply #414506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't know Corrigan had left eagles

Reply #414508 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:08 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754