Anonymous
Years ago

Sydney Kings sign AJ Ogilvy

It's official. Awesome signing !!

Topic #31387 | Report this topic

fstos  
Years ago

Will be interesting to see if he and Crosswhite can work together in the NBL. Pretty sure Schenscher and DJ & Khazzouh and Knight at the Spirit were as close as we have come for a long time to having two bigs co-existing. While they looked OK when on court together neither paring was a raging success in the W/L column.Can anyone recall the last team to have success with to 6'10" and above players sharing the front court?

Reply #413561 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

My guess would be at the Titans, but the Titans were loaded everywhere else too.

It is great that Ogilvy will play NBL, but I'd also be concerned about team balance and loading too much into those positions.

Reply #413564 | Report this post

Timmy D  
Years ago

With Ogilvy here now I think Henry should go and thay should go 4 a pass-first import point guard and maybe Andrew Warren or Ron Dorsey.

Reply #413565 | Report this post

pwned  
Years ago

Source/link?

Reply #413586 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Pwned, NBL announced it on Twitter.

Reply #413588 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

Not sure they need another 2 guard (Warren or Dorsey) with Madgen and Harvey re-signed Timmy

Reply #413597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.news.com.au/sport/basketball/sydney-kings-net-a-sydney-superstar-in-boomers-power-forward-aj-ogilvy/story-fne5rrau-1226619528668

Reply #413599 | Report this post

Cats82  
Years ago

The way it is goin there is not gona be a season any way

Reply #413600 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

What a fall from grace for AJ. first year of college he was predicted to be a lottery pick for the NBA draft and then slipped right off the board during his college career. never made an nba team, has done nothing in europe (Yes he has had multiple injuries i know) and now NBL.

Reply #413605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Signing for +- 200K in a pretty good league aint that big a fall! But I know what you mean.

Reply #413613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great signing for the Kings, very exciting to have someone like AJ play NBL next season.

Are the kings looking to have a roster like this

C Crosswhite/Garlepp
PF Ogilvy/? rookie
SF Madgen/Harvey
SG ??Lisch or other import?/White
PG Henry or other import?/Bruce or other solid back up pg

Looks pretty good to me, especially if they get 2 decent import guards (or a sf if Madgen plays sg), wont be hugely deep, but still ok,

Well done to Heal and the Kings for getting Ogilvy!

Reply #413633 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'd be surprised if they paid 200k for him? That would put him in the top 1, 2 or 3 players.

Reply #413645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That is a crazy amount to pay for a player who has really not shown much in their professional career. I heard they paid Bose well over his value too so perhaps it's just that they are desperate to get a genuine local star in the mix which I can certainly understand. That is what puts bums on seats at games.

Reply #413647 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Kings already looking nice next year:

Crosswhite
Ogilvy
Harvey
Madgen
Henry

Really good starting 5.

Reply #413756 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Great signing

Reply #413758 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The Kings were the only NBL club to chase Ogilvy's signature because of the offers he had on the table from big European clubs.

"I can't remember a player like this coming back in the prime of his career to play in the NBL," Heal said.

"It's certainly a massive recruit for us, particularly when he still has opportunities to be playing overseas. A Sydney boy too. I expect him to dominate."
Full story

Reply #413834 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

And I think he can and will dominate too.

Reply #413838 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Better than Khazzouh?

I have to admit that I haven't seen much of Ogilvy play at all, but from what I have seen, I wouldn't have him in the "throw the bank at him" category. I'm very likely wrong though.

Good on the Kings for getting a Euro-Aussie back into the NBL.

Reply #413843 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

I've saw a lot of Ogilvy in college but not so much in Euro play. From what I remember he started spectacularly but faded a bit. Still was an effective player and I remember him holding his own versus DeMarcus Cousins once.

Pretty nice pickup for the NBL

Reply #413852 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

It's certainly a great get for the NBL and especially the Kings...

video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu5x8rO8ypU

I remember watching him at the London qualifiers in Sydney and was impressed with his hustle... Confirmed via the video clip that he probably does most of his work around the basket, making the most of rebounds and good position... He looks to have a really "interesting" outside shot, but looks to like to throw it down when he's got the chance...

Probably built more of a 4 than a 5 even for the NBL, able to get up and down the floor quickly, I think he'll work well with Crossy. Compared to Big Red/DJ who are both really 5s, and Jules/Knight who were really at the start of their careers, you've got an experienced Crosswhite and then AJ who had a really solid NCAA career, and has spent the last few years playing for some good Euro teams, this really is a great time and I'm hoping for a quality pairing...

While not getting a lot of time before the last couple of weeks, AJ has really been making the most of his minutes, scoring at a pretty decent clip in some better minutes...

Hopefully he'll come back and prove my theory that younger players coming home and doing well and standing out better will pay off for them with their Euro aspirations...

Reply #413861 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

AJ's college career after a stellar freshman season was in part impacted by coaching and then injuries. Injuries have continued to plague AJ early in his pro career, but over the last 12 months he seems to have come through...particulary with Bamberg in Germany.

By the way, AJ had 10 points, 6 rebounds and 4 assists coming off the bench in another Bamberg win in the German Bundesliga.

Reply #413862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Germany's not much chop standard wise, LC.

I hope he does well for the Kings but haven't been too impressed with what I've seen from him in Boomers warm up games. He's certainly a rung below Andersen/Jawai/Baynes/Nielsen/Khazzouh and maybe even Kickert.

Reply #413887 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

Khazzouh is only averaging 10.1 ppg in Lebanon ... I don't know if there's any particular reason for that (injuries etc.), but on that measure, and considering Brett Brown had the younger AJ ahead of him for Boomers selection I'd say he's definitely not a "rung below" Khazzouh and certainly not Kickert.

Also I've heard a few people comment that the standard of the Bundesliga is on the up. Plus Brose Baskets is the top team and play Euroleague as well.

Reply #413900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've seen him at a couple of Boomers training camps and have been impressed. He's held his own for the most part against the other guys there.

Reply #413915 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Germany is definitely not a low rung league and as mentioned by Jez, the Bundesliga is on the rise right now. And AJ is on the best team in Germany...

I think that AJ will impress.

Reply #413920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jez,

Kickert is arguable (BB preferred him over Ogilvy) and Khazzouh only recently played NBA pre-season games for Golden State and averaged 17 & 11 last season in the NBL.

I think Ogilvy will be more a 13 & 8 guy.

Reply #413922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

13 and 8 is still very good in the NBL these days, aslong as the Kings didnt break the bank to get him that would be a decent return from Ogilvy, with hopefully a few big nights along the way.

I will be very interested to see how he goes, great to have a good young talent play NBL, great for the league imo.

Reply #413924 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

Still, looking at Khazzouh's current form, 10 points per game in Lebanon? I haven't seen the league, but can it really be a higher standard than the NBL? Perhaps as there are more imports allowed there's more athleticism to contend with ... I dunno

But on Ogilvy's predicted numbers compared to Khazzouh's, will Ogilvy have as much of the ball as Khazzouh did? With Crosswhite in the team and also Madgen being a high usage rate player, numbers like 13 and 8 may well compare favourably to Khazzouh's 17 and 11

Reply #413938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Khazzouh doesnt average much because the imports shoot the shots in Lebanon, that's how it works in leagues like that.

Ogilvy will be right up there with Nevill Crosswhite Knight and Pledger as the best bigs.

Reply #413949 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Khazzouh had so much of the ball because he had to... There wasn't as much structure under Moose and I think you might find that AJ would be a focus but hopefully it will be a more balanced team this season, with more pressure being taken off Madgen, hopefully him not having to work so hard on the defensive end, leaving him fresher to score more freely with another option down low...

I don't think it's fair or worthwhile to be comparing the stats in much different leagues, or even the NBL, as very different teams with the Kings the last few seasons, if Jules would have had Madgen performing the way he did last season, it would have taken a lot of pressure off of him...

Reply #413961 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:37 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754