SpeedwagonUncle
Years ago

Kobe Bryant tears Achilles, career might be over?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1603118-kobe-bryant-injury-updates-on-lakers-stars-leg

Looks like it could be curtains to one of the best ever.

If it is a snapped achilles, he is done for a good long while, and it is a very difficult injury to come back from. Dominique was never the same after he did it, Chauncey Billups still is in and out of the lineup since he tore his.

Topic #31392 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's 35 in 4 months.
So, hard to see him coming back from this.

I watched the game on ESPN today.
1st he hurt his knee & would't come off.
Then he hurt his heel & still played on.
Maybe it could of been avoided if the coach had benched him.

Reply #413678 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

On the positive he hit the free throw. He hit a massive three a few minutes before that as well.

Reply #413679 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Too stubborn and it may hurt him more. There are stories out there of the Lakers in his early years confiscating his stadium keys because he was training too much and too hard. And him finding other ways in so he could still get up shots at 2am.

Reply #413681 | Report this post

jmac  
Years ago

Billups suffered the same injury, has never been the same.

Reply #413682 | Report this post

Knowitall nawt  
Years ago

Achilles is probably worse than a knee imo

Reply #413684 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

At his age it's going to be hard and he strikes me as a player that doesn't want to ever be a 2nd or 3rd string player.

Reply #413687 | Report this post

jmac  
Years ago

Achilles is defiantly worse than a knee. There is 0 kobe's achilles to be the same if this is a (complete ) tear

Reply #413688 | Report this post

jmac  
Years ago

* 0 percent

Reply #413689 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

If it were a complete tear, would he have been able to walk off court? My physio knowledge (or lack thereof)

Reply #413690 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

...has me believing that is unlikely.

Reply #413691 | Report this post

jmac  
Years ago

my dad completely tore his achilles while playing tennis and was able to walk on his own (barely).

Reply #413692 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Patrick Ewing was never the same either when he did his Achilles in 2000. He was also in his 30's then.

Sad way to see this fierce competitor knocked out.
I still hold hope he'll return one day.

Reply #413693 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

When it was suggested that this was the end of his career, he said "Are you kidding?"

Can't see him not going out on his terms. Too proud, determined and stubborn.

Reply #413696 | Report this post

Igotmadskills  
Years ago

May be he could go for 6th man of the year and really complete his trophy cabinet. He would be pretty handy off the bench playing 20 ish mins a game.
Then he could say he has 1 up on Jordan....

Reply #413697 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From personal experience, I tore mine 100% 2-3 years ago at age 32. Had surgery, took me 2-3 months to get back playing cricket (indoor and out) and then another 6 months of trust to get to the point of lateral movement, or jumping. Rushing it is the worst thing ever for it. But having Docs and Physio at hand will make a difference.

I played social basketball for years as a <22 yr old, so understand the difference in movement. And think that is the biggest issue re this type of injury and sport. There is no "strapping" that will help you regain your strength.

2 years on, I'm running 80+ km a month and leg feels stronger now than was before. But I seriously doubt vertical leap would be back. Since then (and due to the injury) I then did 2 Groins & Both ITB's. Need to be so careful.

Every time this happens I feel for the athlete, more so in professional sport. But it doesn't surprise me that some people heal better than others and can make come backs.

But as you all said, @ what capacity and willingness

Reply #413700 | Report this post

Some of the other Lakers might get a shot now

Reply #413702 | Report this post

Referee  
Years ago

Kobe has said when he retires its not going to be because of his body, but when he's ready.
So he'll be back.

Reply #413709 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Kobe's Facebook post:

http://i.imgur.com/beLwkGY.png

Reply #413712 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Amnesty Clause considerations now in play.

Reply #413723 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

They can save around $80 million by amnestying Kobe. Use that money to lure Phil back. Phil + Dwight + Pau + Nash > Kobe iso ball. That is the plan if they're serious about winning in the future. Keeping Dwight + Pau is their best bet

Reply #413725 | Report this post

JOaRiDrAN  
Years ago

No Amnesty, never going to happen. Isn't it 2 dollars for every dollar?? Once again ingles13 you're exaggerating. Kobe will be back for the first game of the season. There has never been a more head strong athlete in the history of the game. Funny how LeBron gets carried off with cramps yet Kobe completely ruptures his Achilles then comes on to hit two clutch free throws.

Like him or hate him, Kobe is a warrior.

Reply #413741 | Report this post

Jack  
Years ago

His career is over. Anyone saying otherwise is delusional.

Reply #413751 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"His career is over. Anyone saying otherwise is delusional."

Are you forgetting its Kobe Bryant?

Anyone betting against Kobe Bryant is delusional.

Reply #413759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no big loss he could be back by the season opener anyway if his recovery goes well. this wasn't lakers season anyway. I don't think they would even think about amnestying him. he is a god in los angeles.

Reply #413764 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

kobe will be back, even if it means he's playing with a bionic leg he'll be playing. Don't understand what Mike D'Antonio does as coach. clearly he was injured had played far too many minutes in recent matches even when all other top players at other clubs had been getting rest in last few weeks, parker, duncan, wade, lebron. granted lakers need to get wins, but even the commentators were saying before the game they thought Kobe had been playing too much and he would be fatigued. foolish.

Reply #413778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He'll be back. There's absolutely no way he'll go out like this, especially after the shocking season they've had. He'll probably never be the same again but I have no doubt he'll play.

Reply #413820 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:36 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754