Isaac
Years ago

NZ not quite breaking even; Cats profit $1m?

From a Breakers article:

Breakers owners Paul and Liz Blackwell are just rapt the vision they had for the club when they first came on board eight years ago is now reaping such rich rewards.
Blackwell confirmed he and Liz were not looking to sell the club in the immediate future, though all proposals for involvement would be considered. At present the Breakers are not quite breaking even, though there's some hope in the form of the Wildcats who supposedly will bank a profit of close to $A1 millions this year.
Full story

Topic #31403 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shows you what you need to go to make money in pro sports, 3 ships in a row and you still don't turn a profit. I guess they had a lot of lean years though.

Reply #413869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they can't make money...

Reply #413878 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

They also run a development academy etc.

Reply #413881 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They do have their own office and 1.5 court practice facility. Doubt that's cheap. And Vector wouldn't be cheap.

That number from Perth is amazing though, if true. 5k extra fans, per game. Has to add up!

Reply #413883 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

The Breakers Member/and Ticket prices are also going up next season.

Reply #413888 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Is there prize money for the NBL champions?

Reply #413913 | Report this post

Pikachu  
Years ago

I'm sure there is prize money , even for the minor premiership

Reply #413918 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

All the 3rd party stuff!!!

Reply #413925 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Wildcats are averaging 11.2k on the year but the membership and ticket prices are also some of the highest in the league. Actually, from memory of when I trawled through everyone's membership and ticketing options, they were the most expensive by a margin. I think they didn't have to make their own facilities though, WA State Government kicked in a lot on the State Basketball Centre.

Does anyone have details on how much merchandise the teams sell? Would have thought Breakers do good trade there.

As for the article, very well done for Di Fabrizio, agree with a lot of points. The social media points should be obvious, the 48min game option makes sense. I mean, on a per-minute basis, most NBL games get up by the NBA scores (higher than a number of games, too), but 80v70 scores just don't seem that high. Put the same length of time on, and suddenly the people who want to see scoring are seeing results more to their liking. That and some rule interpretations...

... god I hope the Wildcats play more O next season. Killed me watching all those missed shots through the year.

Reply #413956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Breakers pay for the NZ version of the AIS program and still made a profit last year and came close this year. They are doing very well, but the real test will come when they arent on top of the league.

Reply #413975 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I just hope the Wildcats don't increase their season memberships. For my gold tickets it worked out at $44/game which for a 40 minute game is pricey... And finals tickets were $75

Reply #414305 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:30 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754