TR
Years ago

Funny NBA Draft...... 30 days away

Just finished talking to a mate that is in Atlanta at the moment and we had a long chat about the draft. He chucked in some interesting rumours which people maybe interested in.

- Bucks will take Bogut, almost certain unless something drastically happens, or Marvin Williams has an amazing workout with the Bucks.

- Atlanta is having wet dreams about Deron Williams, they also like Marvin Williams. They believe that Paul is too short.

- Charlotte may trade their two lottery picks to Portland to move up and will by making a huge run at Marvin Williams if available or Chris Paul. Portland like Green and believe that he will still be available at 5. Charlotte and Portland may also do a draft day swap (e.g Penny for Webber type of thing). Plus the Blazers already have a young PG in Telfar.

- New Orleans to either pick Paul or Deron depending in who is still around, but definately a PG

- If the Cats don't trade up, expect them to grab high school Gerald Green with their first pick, and Danny Granger or Antoine Wright with their second.

- Andriuskevicius stock is dropping, and will probably withdraw from the draft. The Bucks wanted him, but he ain't worth the No.1 pick.

- Memphis is trying to get rid of it's 19th pick (and White Chocolate).

- Hawks and Sonics doing a trade. Hawks want Jarret Jack late in the first round, and are willing to give up Diaw and the first 2nd round pick to the Sonics in exchange for their 1st round pick.

- Taft's stock is dropping, people are floating the term 'lazy' around the place

- Raymond Felton, the Tar Heels PG is moving up the ranks. Now rated the 3rd best PG in the draft. Has moved into a Top 10 pick.

- Luke's stock is rising after numerous good workouts. Some GM's think he could be worth a late second round pick.

Topic #3144 | Report this topic

cheezeburger  
Years ago

keep is the goss coming TR.

Reply #36234 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

TR, does your mate know what the hawks will do if they draft marvin williams in regards to how he would fit in to the team eg he n josh smith are the same type of player.also deren williams is his weight going to be a problem in the nba.ive heard good stuff about him but theres a big question of how he will catch a iverson or marbury on court.

Reply #36235 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

assuming the bucks take bogut the hawks will want to take the next best player in marvin williams but will prob pass on him to pick up a player they really need to fill in a pg eg chris paul.but he is a risky pick.marvin has huge potential and i think he will be too tempting for the hawks to pass on.if marvin or josh smith bulk up and one is able to play pf this could be there team outlook-
jack
allen
smith
williams
FA?

Reply #36239 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Cheeze, had another chat with my pal and he said that the hawks will take Deron Williams over Paul, I haven't heard that weight is an issue, he's the tallest PG in the draft, and the strongest, plus I sure with preseason he will improve his conditioning.

If the hawks are smart they should take Marvin Williams (or Bogut if available). Williams has the most potential in the draft, and he's still growing. Marvin can play the PF position, maybe play like Tone Walker does for Boston (minus the threes)

The hawks have enough cash to chase a starting PG (Antonio Daniels, Damon Stoudamire, McInnis, Dickau, Jaric and Mr Europe, Sarunas Jasikevicius) if Jack isn't around (pending the trade with the Sonics, Diaw for ultimately Jack).

The upside with Paul is that he's already NBA quick, but he's listed at five nine.

I have heard that the Hawks are slated a draft pick from the Celtics in 2006 or 2007. The Hawks may trade this pick to the Griz, and recieve the 19th pick for it. Some interesting players around the 19th that could help. Players like Petro, Bynum and a real smokey in Blatche, and possibly Shaun May.

If the Hawks miss out on Jack, a pretty good replacement could by John Gilchrist, or if they take Deron Wiliams (or Paul) they they should chase Turiaf or Maxiell. All these players should be available early in the second round, and I would be very tempted to take Luke with the 59th pick. The Hawks need help in the middle.

Expect Portland to take Gerald Green with the 3rd pick, and the Hornets to take either of the Williams or Paul. New Orleans pick sticks squarely on what Atlanta does.

Another interesting rumour floating around is the Cats swap their two picks with the Hawks. I like the sound of this, the Cats get Marvin Williams, whilst the Hawks still get their PG in either D.Williams, Paul or Felton, plus they get the opportunity to grap a decent centre or power forward (Vasquez, Taft, Splitter, Villanueva).

Reply #36517 | Report this post

m dizzle  
Years ago

the reality is the hawks have drafted swingmen for years now (j smith, d smith, childress, diaw, hansen) and there comes a point in time where you have to stick what you've got. The only way i can see them drafting williams is if they decide to trade harrington, because they are very similar players. The fact that at one stage of the season they had Obinna Ezekie at starting C and Josh Smith at starting PG suggests pgs and big men should be a priority.

Reply #36521 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

dizzle, agree with you, but that word of 'potential' raises it's ugly head around draft time, apparently Marvin has potential coming out his ears and backside. He's also a big big swingman, 6'9" and still growing. I can only really only think of two players like that, Dirk being one, and KG being the other. Marvin can defend anyone.

Harrington has been on the blocks for a while now, maybe the Hawks could trade Harrington for a starting PG. How bout this, Hawks trade Harrington to the Hornets for Speedy Claxton. Both are on similar $$$$ and both fit the needs of the other team. Personally, I don't think that you can have to many 6'9" swingmen.

If the stories are true, Diaw will be traded to the Sonics for their 1st round pick.

I really like the way the Hawks are going, and if I was making the decisions, I would probably trade my no 2 pick (depending on who the Bucks chose) with the Cats for 5 and 13. If Williams goes to the Bucks, then keep the pick and wrap your arms around Bogut, if not then take two lottery picks and chose the best available PG and the best available PF or C. This could be a great draft for the Hawks if they are smart.

Reply #36526 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Found this article on-line....

Apparently rumours are flying around that Bogut has an degeneration eye condition.

Here is the article:

Bogut rumors are out of focus
By Gery Woelfel

It doesn't take long for rumors to spread in the NBA, and last week, one spread like wildfire.

According to former coach Rick Majerus, (Andrew) Bogut suffers from macular degeneration, an eye disease."

As far as rumors go, that's a doozy. Bogut, a 7-foot center from the University of Utah, is generally regarded as the No. 1 prospect in the upcoming NBA draft and likely to be selected by the Milwaukee Bucks.

When word spread about Bogut's alleged eye condition, and when people realized Majerus coached Bogut during his freshman season with the Utes, red flags went up everywhere. Several concerned NBA officials understandably made calls to Utah basketball officials to confirm the report.

They didn't get one. Just like I didn't when I called current Utah coach Ray Giacoletti and Trevor Jameson, the head trainer for the Utes' men's basketball team.

"I've had a bunch of calls about this from NBA people and I've told them, `No, Andrew doesn't have any degenerative eye disease,'" Giacoletti said. "We had his eyes checked and he is nearsighted. He wears a special contact. That is it.

"I don't know how or why these things get started."

Jameson, who has worked closely with Bogut the last two years, was equally befuddled.

"When we have kids come here to Utah, they get physicals and eye examinations," Jameson said. "He was prescribed contacts because he has some nearsightedness. I was told nothing was wrong with his eyes.

"I know he's never had any trouble with his eyes the two years he's been here. He's never complained about his eyes ever."

Bogut excited about Bucks While Bucks general manager Larry Harris said he intends on working out and interviewing four players for the Bucks' top pick - forward Marvin Williams of North Carolina, point guard Chris Paul of Wake Forest, point guard Deron Williams of Illinois and Bogut - most NBA officials are convinced Bogut will be the Bucks' choice.

If that happens, Bogut will be pleased.

"We're ecstatic about the way the lottery worked out," said David Bauman, Bogut's agent. "We've already had conversations with Larry Harris and Dave Babcock (the Bucks' scouting director) and we are looking forward to meeting Sen. (Herb) Kohl."

Reply #36531 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

i still hope they draft marvin williams.i hope marvin grows enough to hold down a pf spot.also we need a pg but the hawks could trade for one with harringron as bait.

Reply #36546 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

if there any big men prospects who are nba ready right away??apart from bogut.would there be any by pick 31 which atlanta holds?ive heard that sean may is a talent.

the hawks drafted smart last year.getting the un heard of childress and the player no one wanted josh smith.

ps cant wait for the draft.

Reply #36551 | Report this post

m dizzle  
Years ago

childress was one of the proclaimed top 5 players in college last year...but back to the issue the hawks have alot of options. i suppose anything could work in their favour except i think drafting williams and keeping harrington.

This thread proves the greatness of supporting young exciting teams who sit at the bottom of the standings. all you other people draft bench warmers and we get to sit and wait for our teams next superstar to be drafted.

bobcats, portland, hawks = my 3 fav teams

Reply #36559 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

you know this thread only has like 3 replyers?because everyones fav team is chicago,lakers or dallas.there money buys them their victorys not theer ability the find and draft talent.

Reply #36597 | Report this post

The Hammer  
Years ago

well seeing Dallas doesnt have a draft spot My interest is in where Andrew Bogut will go unless dallas pull the shifty and get a pick

Reply #36612 | Report this post

undersized pf  
Years ago

does anyone remember the lakers drafting nick van exel in the second round at 36 or 38. Now if im not mistaken then isnt this the sign of a good managemnet who can see talent. Im sure everyone agrees here that nick van exel espicially in his day was a top string point guard and was once considered one of the best pg's in the league.

Secondly do you remeber when lakers traded there established center vlade divac to the charlotte hornets for a little known rookie named Kobe Bryant, well we all know how that turned out (3 ships a few seasons later)

p.s dont worry i know the main reason behind the ships was big shaq daddy, but you cant win a ship with one player.

Reply #36625 | Report this post

Steve O'Donnell  
Years ago

WHAT ABOUT LUKE SCHENSCHER?????

Reply #36687 | Report this post

m dizzle  
Years ago

wat about him?

Reply #36688 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Cheeze, Sean May will be gone by the 31st pick. His play in the NCAA finals really rose his stock. I think the Hawks should do a trade with the Griz and get the 19th pick. May still could be around then.

As I said, I think that Luke is worthy of a late 2nd pick, the Hawks hold the 59th pick. The Knicks were impressed with his workout as well, and they definately need help in the middle.

There has been a few gold 2nd round picks, Gilbert Arenas, Van Excel are a few good examples. The beauty about a 2nd round pick is if they flop then it doesn't cost anything, and if they are good, then they still come pretty cheap. Well worth the risk, and I think that 2nd round picks are under valued by teams.

The only so called 'ready now' player is our own Andy Bogut. GM's believe that Bogut could play and contribute to any team in the league from day one. He has the basketball IQ, the desire, the toughness and the talent.

Reply #36694 | Report this post

m dizzle  
Years ago

interesting to see if there are any suprise players next season who go undrafted....marquis daniels was a great pickup for dallas, good to see which nba ready players get picked up after the draft

Reply #36708 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Had another chat with my pal in Atlanta, and he told of some interesting draft goss:

- Portland is looking at moving down in the draft. They may do a trade with the Cats and exchange the 3rd pick for the 5th and take either Green or Webster, both HS players. The Cats are lusting over Marvin Williams and Deron Williams.

- The Cats want two lottery picks, and are willing to give up the 5th pick, but not the 13th pick. They are talking to Portland about the 3rd pick, thus given the Blazers the 5th and a future pick.

- The Cats are seriously looking at resigning Brevin Knight, so they don't need another mighty mouse in Chris Paul.

- Antoine Wright is killing them in workouts, and will probably be a top 10 pick, Charlotte, Toronto and NY have interest in him. Considered the premier SG in the draft.

- Taft is really slipping, once a top 5 pick, he's workouts have been lazy and have seen him drop to 10-18 range.

- Tiago Splitter who is considered a top 10 possibility will probably withdraw from the draft.

- Salim Stoudamire stock has fallen, mainly due to his height. Reported at 6'1, but during workouts actually measured under 6 foot. He's a SG and has no hope on matching up on the taller SG. Mid second round pick now. A definate tweener than won't make the cut as a PG. Still an awesome shooter but...

- Joey Graham stock is on the up. This kid bench presseed 185 pounds (83.5 kilos) 25 times..... freakish. GM's love the fact that he has a NBA ready body. Projected in the 13-20 range of the 1st round.

- Toronto will be taking the best available players left with their 7th and 16th pick, regardless of the position.

Reply #36872 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Oh, Boguts first workout is with the Bucks on the 20th June. Marvin Williams is with the Bucks on the 19th.

Bogut will not particiapate in any pre-draft rookie workouts. He is a definately Top 2 pick, and the risk of injury is too high to play. He's only gonna work out with two teams, the Bucks and Atlanta.

Reply #36873 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

TR so the hawks are still set on marvin williams? andy more goss and the hawks and what they will do with there picks n possible trading of picks.the hawks need a guard if they choose marvin so who might it be?

Reply #36890 | Report this post

undersized pf  
Years ago

who are the lakers scouting, i heard veneula (sorry for spelling). That big PF.

Does anyone know for certain

Reply #36993 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Undersized pf, the Lakers are drooling over Fran Vazquez, a big 6 foot 10 thug PF from Brazil. He is currently playing Tiago Splitter in the Brazil league Finals.

Vazquez is the most ready of the international players. (just because Bogut went to College they say he ain't international... bullshit, Bogut is the best international, that's my daily bitch). Problem is Vazquez will probably be gone by the 10th pick.

I don't think that the Lakers will take Villanueva, he's is 6'11, but he playes the same game as Lamar Odom. He's more of a SF than a PF.

If Vazquez is gone, the Lakers could go either Taft(I hope not!!), or Sean May, or the best player left in the draft. This current draft is weak in the PF position. Players like Simien (this guy is a beast), Hakim Warrick, are projected at going mid to late 1st round. The Lakers would be seriously reaching to take any of these players with the 10th.

If Andruiskevicius stays in the draft, he's a 7'3 centre, the Lakers may take him, but he's raw.... very raw, but his potential, wing span and height is huge. The Lakers are in a true need of a centre after trading you iknow who.....

Ok, some more goss from Atlanta:

- From the Cats, Bernie have gave a small warning to the Blazers, don't trade your picks with teams under us, cause your boy (being Gerald Green) won't be around.

- Taft is now injured. He failed to complete his workouts with the Cats. He believe's he hurt his knee whilst working out in Boston. This boy is dropped. Now rated a 10-16 pick.

- Luke is going to Chicago for the workout's, he is in Team 6 (which is f&*king huge). The positive is that's he's the only centre on his team, so hopefully he will get minutes to impress. His team is:

Louis Williams 6-2 175 SG
John Lucas 6-0 165 PG
Rawle Marshall 6-7 190 SG
Bracey Wright 6-3 200 SG
Steven Smith 6-8 225 SF
Roger Powell 6-6 240 SF/PF
Ronny Turiaf 6-10 243 PF
Pops Mensah-Bonsu 6-9 240
Luke Schenscher 7-1 250 C
Eric Williams 6-8 291

- Ike Diogu is moving up. He's only listed at 6'8, but he has a wingspan of 7'3-7'5. Other words, he drags his knuckles on the ground. Not a lottery pick candidate at the moment.

- Atlanta has fallen in love with Bogut again, and there could be a trade in the winds.

- Bucks are holding workouts for Williams on the 19th and Bogut on the 20th. Better understand on who will go No.1 after these workouts.

- Bogut's agent has come out in the media stating that the Bucks will be taking Bogut (ballsy move that 1)

- Even thought it ain't about the draft, this would of to be one of the funniest draft proposals of all-time, apparently last week the Knicks offered Penny Hardaway for Gasol.... The Griz front office pissed themselves laughing.... Only the over-inflated ego of the Knicks would make an offer like that.

Reply #37347 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

The first trade today was done with draft picks.

Utah and the 76ers did a deal, the 76er have recieved Utah's 2nd round pick (no.60) for a future 2nd rounder. This pick was then sent to the Pistons to complete the Stackhouse trade all those years ago.

If the 76ers didn't make this move they would of lost their 45th pick as this was the final year of terms.

Reply #37467 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

gerald green(the next kobe/t-mac) to lakers at pick 10

Reply #39071 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:54 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754