Isaac
Years ago

Gibson waiting on 36ers coach before deciding

"The thing is, I don't think I'm going to get a lot more (money) to go elsewhere,'' he said.

"So really it comes down to who is coaching here.''
Full article

Topic #31469 | Report this topic

Mick  
Years ago

Fair enough.

Reply #414960 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Looking more positive than before with the tigers rumours?

Club should just offer him a long term deal on top of his option. lock him up.

Maybe the possibility of Wright coaching could be the clincher?

Reply #414963 | Report this post

Dazzman  
Years ago

Makes you wonder who are Gibbo's preferances? Obviously he is tight with Joey but I'm sure on the other hand there are coaches mentioned who he's not keen on.

Reply #414976 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Fingers crossed he likes the coach!

Reply #414984 | Report this post

Pie cart  
Years ago

Gibson will stay if Joey is coach.

Gibson won't stay if Gleeson is coach.

One of those two coaches will get the nod to coach Sixers next season.

Reply #414988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm cool with Joey Wright. Championship at Brisbane plus playoffs at the Blaze. Hates Shane Heal with a passion too.

Lock him in.

Reply #414994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey will end up in WA. As will Gibson.

Reply #414995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was thinking about that the other day. If Bevo leaves for the Boomers gig or overseas and Lisch leaves also, Gibson would be an obvious target for the Wildcats you would think. Can hit the three and likes to play physical, up tempo D. Would probably fit their style of play nicely. Would like to see him stay with the Sixers because we need players who do the basics well, but you really do need to pair him with a quality import guard who can penetrate and dish. Does anyone know if he has been approached by Perth or even the Breakers? Bruton and Jackson may have to be replaced after all.

Reply #415001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wright. Perth of Adelaide. No brainer. Will bleed Perth dry.

Reply #415004 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Brett Maher wants Gibbo!!

Reply #415008 | Report this post

Ballin Fan  
Years ago

you would only want to play for a coach who wants you in the team,

that's a no brainer.

Reply #415021 | Report this post

eli1  
Years ago

Id like to see anyone with a decent record. Not some under championship winning performance, someone who either has been around the NBL for years and knows the ins and outs. And AIS 'land' doesnt work for me, or with me.

If Gibbo goes, then thats the way it goes.

Reply #415025 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Coach: Joey Wright
Ast. Coach: Brett Maher & Liam Flynn

C Schenscher/Cheapie
F Johnson/Petrie
F Creek/Cheapie
G Import/Ng
G Gibson/Cadee

Throw money at Ervin and shift Gibbo to SG? Lure Ng back and play an 8 man rotation.

Reply #415028 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Schenscher is worth 9 points on the points system along with Johnson and Gibson 10... What's the maximum points Adelaide will use before searching for imports?

Reply #415045 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

You'd be better off not breaking the bank to get someone like Ervin. A solid, if unspectacular import 2 and a proper coaching staff and this team is set.

If Townsville falls through you have the option of Norton and Blanchfield who fit nicely with Adelaide are inexpensive plus have huge upside, too. All depends.

Reply #415055 | Report this post

Grovermi$ter  
Years ago

dont forget Daly off the bench too.. at times Daly has shown glimpses of Maher in his youth... we still dont have a Rees type player (Peach maybe) who sacrifices his own game to bash a few bodies and be that intimidating inside presence... definitely one piece of the puzzle that has been missing since Rees/Davis/Blakemore era... even Sapwell could bash and crash the boards and be that intimidating presence in the Paint.

Plus we still dont have a player in that line up whom i would feel comfortable taking the last shot to win the game...(ala Maher) Gibbo was way to indecisive this year... Maybe NG...?

what about Weigh... any room in the team for him? i like his style just needs to be more consistent...

New coach will be good for all the listed players. New ideas new direction. "sixers for life"

Reply #415060 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

In another thread someone compared Ben Allen to Paul Rees and Stephen Hoare. We've found your man.

Reply #415072 | Report this post

cp3  
Years ago

Not sure if it means much but Gibbo updated is Facebook profile this morning to combo guard for the Adelaide 36ers. Minor fact I know but something that hadn't been done until today.

Reply #415073 | Report this post

Grovermi$ter  
Years ago

I think Gibbo will stay, wouldnt you as a player want to help build a club and seek the success that you all desire?

So Ben Allen as the 'cheapie tall'

Pero as the other Forward.. we all know what he is capable of.

And an import 'lisch/earvin/jackson mould'

pretty impressive list...

and a defensive minded coach whom lets the players just play on offensive, ala what smyth did in his reign, and the 36ers rise from the depths of nothingness is looking good...

Reply #415082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Johnson
Petrie
Creek
Import
Gibson

Schenscher
Young
cheap import
Daly
Cadee

Reply #415084 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Opinion one: Try and sign Joey Wright if the money is ok. Seems to be keen to get back into the NBL and has a defensive mindset that can win championships.
Would almost guarantee Gibbo staying. Could also lead to potentially signing someone like Wortho after 2013-2014 season.

Opinion two: PLEASE DO NOT SIGN ALLEN!!!!!!!
(Sorry Belly)

Reply #415086 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Surely Weigh would still be in the clubs thinking?

Reply #415090 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Weigh --- Why . Not worth the money demands and not someone need when trying to go forward.

Reply #415104 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Has plenty to offer.

Reply #415106 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'd rather have Dowdell than Allen.

Reply #415107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure Jeff is retired Isaac unless of course you meant Ben (who is here) but still on the Crows list and seems to be getting regular SANFL league games for South Adelaide now.

Reply #415112 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

Not retired

http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_info.cgi?action=PSTATS&pID=194500470&client=1-3363-36739-253202-16890626

Reply #415118 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

The Parker parlance suggests Weigh has an option .
Most likely Daly to Perth .

Reply #415119 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Camel 31, I always thought Weigh had an option, but other posters pointed to the original press release which clearly stated a 2 year deal. When did Dean indicate or imply this ?

Reply #415120 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

When our Coach finished here,Parker: '..Our priority is go for Gibson and Weigh...' I got the impression of an owner going at them but without a coach .

Reply #415122 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Camel 31, cheers.

Yeah I don't see why they wouldn't try and retain Weigh. Keep the nucleus of the team.

Reply #415123 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Is Gibbo the right fit for the team based on salary and current signings?

Signing Gibbo would likely mean cheap import.....unless Weigh moves on?

An import would then need to be sourced given Creek wont be available either....so a SF/SG import would be on the table...

Forgot about Crosswell though, could add his salary to the import fund.....cant imagine he would have been on a lot of cash though?

Reply #415140 | Report this post

Pikachu  
Years ago

Respect his decision but doesn't seem professional
Is the coach gonna hold his hand?
Many a sports stars have had problems with there coaches but still venture on like real men
Gibbo please don't be a dwight howard.

Reply #415149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Youre kidding right? Expecting someone to commit before they know who the coach is? I think he's being quite reasonable in making the best choice for himself.

Reply #415151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're playing for the Coach as much as for the club, irrespective of that the club should NOT be signing ANYONE until the coach is appointed, let the Coach pick his own team.

Reply #415152 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I dont have a problem with him waiting to see who the coach is and dont think he is being Dwight Howard about it. It's actually quite sensible as why would you play for a coach you may not like or may not like you? Also, it gives him a chance to sit down with that coach and discuss where he see's the team and himself/his role going this coming season.

Reply #415153 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Gibbo certainly isn't being a DHoward

Reply #415181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Gibbo stays Cadee needs to start on the bench. Petrie deserves to start, Schenscher off the bench taking the backup minutes for Petrie & DJ. Creek cant be a starter yet, needs to take it slow coming back.
8 man rotation with Cadee, Creek & Schensch off the bench. 2 cheapies make up the 10.

Reply #415327 | Report this post

Pie cart  
Years ago

Sixers have trimmed down to 5

Maher...get assistant role
Smyth ..unlikely
Beveridege...china. Move

Down to last two Joey Wright and Trevor Gleeson

My tip Wright.joey knows how to put a team together and g
Eat right imports.

Reply #415385 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I think i'd take Joey Wright over Trevor Gleeson. Maybe it's because of the Gibson factor...

Reply #415388 | Report this post

Gus  
Years ago

Would love to see gleeson get the job wright will bankrupt us

Reply #415398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If its down to Wright v Gleeson to me its basically a coin toss, cant really go wrong either way, which is the good thing.

I'd take Gleeson I was a fan with what he acheived at the Crocs and how he used Schensch, also has worked with non-huge budget teams before and been fairly successful. But could hardly argue if they went with Wright or say it was a bad decision, he has a very successful coaching record.

Exciting times ahead if one of these guys takes over i think!

Reply #415403 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dowdell is still playing and around waiting for an opportunity. Saw him at Hawks and 36ers games last year. He was getting over an injury at one point, but don't think he's quite retired.

Reply #415434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dowdell and Gunners.

Reply #415445 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:38 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754